Menu

Rita Ora In Stéphane Rolland Couture – Fashion Rocks 2014

Rita Ora In Stéphane Rolland Couture - Fashion Rocks 2014

Rita Ora also made a grand entrance when she took to the red carpet at Fashion Rocks 2014, presented by Three Lions Entertainment, at Barclays Center of Brooklyn on Tuesday (September 9) in New York.

She took the opportunity to play an extreme game of dress-up in a Stéphane Rolland Fall 2014 Couture gown that was every bit of an abstract art piece and architectural feat.

The black silhouetted bodice and illusion lining transitioned to a backless design, accented by spindly embellishment, before giving way to a full, tulle-laced tutu skirt underscored by a train of sheer black chiffon.

Adding her own signature quirk factor, the songstress put plenty of sass into the avant-garde sophistication of the design, wearing her platinum locks tied into a row of knots atop her head.

This strange mohawk-esque moment didn’t belong anywhere near the gown, and if there was ever a time for Rita to rock her signature red lip, this was it. I also longed for the skinny belt seen on the model for a waist-defining finish.

As with many of her looks, I’m sure this one will be a divisive design. With better styling, this statement would have been one intriguing fashion sculpture to not soon forget.

Credit: Now Fashion & Getty

Jennifer Lopez In Atelier Versace - Fashion Rocks 2014

Jennifer Lopez In Atelier Versace – Fashion Rocks 2014

Alessandra Ambrosio's Chloé Python 'Clare' Shoulder Bag

Alessandra Ambrosio’s Chloé Python ‘Clare’ Shoulder Bag

51 Responses to Rita Ora In Stéphane Rolland Couture – Fashion Rocks 2014

1. kane September 11, 2014 at 19:52 #

God, I love this dress more than I probably should like tulle. Not on her really though.

2. Parvati September 11, 2014 at 17:45 #

The hair and (lack of) make-up ruin this look, which somehow feels already too twee on her. It looks so different on her than how it looked on the lookbook photo.

3. pinksugar September 10, 2014 at 15:57 #

I loved this design on the ‘runway’ but she styled it down to the point it almost doesn’t even translate as the same dress. Such a waste.

4. Phoenix September 10, 2014 at 15:07 #

NOOOOOO! Awwwww man. Ruined. I was waiting excitedly for Rollands collection to get to the red carpet again. And now this. Its all wrong. It works like a costume on her. Shes too short. and the hair is a disaster. I’m so so so disappointed.

5. bisbee September 10, 2014 at 13:12 #

I had to look up “stan”. You learn something new everyday!

6. SnB September 10, 2014 at 13:07 #

A horrible look. Don’t like the dress in the look book and definitely not on Rita. If she’d stop trying so damn hard to impose herself as a fashionista, she’d look way better.

7. Alina September 10, 2014 at 12:33 #

I think the best I can do is to look just at the left picture. Nieves is selling it!

8. Naama September 10, 2014 at 12:25 #

wow she’s so pretty without that red lipstick.

9. m September 10, 2014 at 11:59 #

shes trying way too hard

10. Christine September 10, 2014 at 11:38 #

The hair is a odd looking when wearing this dress. The dress is grand and the hair is ………..

11. Rye September 10, 2014 at 11:35 #

The two pictures posted next to each other looks so comical to me. The model looking to Rita was like, “what have you done to dress?” Lol

• elle September 10, 2014 at 18:26 #

You just made me laugh inappropriately loud at work. Too funny.

12. Yeliz September 10, 2014 at 11:32 #

That hairstyle has no business near that gown. It’s a silly overall look.

• dee September 11, 2014 at 00:03 #

Agreed.

13. Larissa September 10, 2014 at 10:39 #

FC is Nieves Alvarez on the left?

14. Fiona-Brasil September 10, 2014 at 10:17 #

I love the lookbook : it is funny and bold ! Unfortunately you can’ t dress a midget in giant clothes, she is way too close to the floor, LOL!

15. CreoleLady September 10, 2014 at 10:07 #

That hair takes this look rom “no” to laughable. She looks ridiculous. Nice try, lol.

16. Morgane September 10, 2014 at 09:59 #

I actually really like it, even the hair! It avoids the total drama look. But u’re right FC the red lips would have been a plus here!

17. Kevinappears September 10, 2014 at 09:33 #

The shape is off on her, prefer lookbook

18. Marcel September 10, 2014 at 09:14 #

It seems unfinished. That hair ? The bad make up?
    It looks like the nanny or the cleaner who plays with her boss’ clothes when she is not in.

• ok September 10, 2014 at 20:33 #

I guess you thought your nasty comment bore repeating?

19. Renata September 10, 2014 at 09:08 #

FC, what is up with the Rita Ora posts lately? Lol There’s the creepy Nico guy who will defend anything she wears and the other creepy kid Pedro who will call her worst dressed of the decade, I mean, RCFA is becoming some kind of stan war now, that’s crazy.

• CreoleLady September 10, 2014 at 12:01 #

“I mean, RCFA is becoming some sort of stan war now, that’s crazy”. Renata, I agree 1000% — a big turn off .

• Phoenix September 10, 2014 at 15:02 #

+1 Yes I agree. I really can’t stand to read this creepy stan stuff. Its gone much much too far, and its annoying and inappropriate. They need to find a ora fansite, or gossip site.

• Pedro September 10, 2014 at 15:32 #

That was so disrespectful.

Have a little respect, please. All of us here are passionate about fashion and that should be the focus of comments.

20. manja September 10, 2014 at 09:06 #

it is an ugly dress for starters,and she does not have the hight to pull it off .she took the risk,and taht is OK but it did not pay off this time IMO

21. james September 10, 2014 at 08:54 #

I don’t understand why they are trying to transform her into a Rihanna wannabe? She just seems to wear whatever her stylist chooses for her and has not personality to pull it off. Just my opinion, though. The whole outfit is a mess IMO

22. Nat39 September 10, 2014 at 08:12 #

I understand, the hair was done for her performance, but here it just looks silly and out of place, I’m also missing the thin belt to accent the waistline, and I don’t even like the gown to begin with. That tutu looks ridiculous.

• Nat39 September 10, 2014 at 09:45 #

makes me think ‘french maid’ uniform/figure-skating costume with a randomly attached train. Still, someone with more stature, poise and with a proper styling could’ve made it work. Rita is simply not pulling it off.

• mattison September 10, 2014 at 15:23 #

The first thing I thought was French maid/figure skater/mosquito netting. I just don’t understand how this is anything other than a mess- it’s not fashion to me.

23. eliona September 10, 2014 at 08:03 #

I don’t majorly dislike this look. But it does remind me of a Jelly fish that stings…. we’ve had leopard, zebra etc etc print. Now its the Jelly Fish time to shine.

24. towanda September 10, 2014 at 07:34 #

stop complaining about rihanna. it’s not rihanna post. ok we all know you’re a rita stan

• nico September 10, 2014 at 07:49 #

first of all, i write what I like. Second: I bring Rihanna in to it because u ALL CLAIM she copies rihanan. Well, she slaying Rihanna on the red carpet and street style, hence why she racking more endorsement deals than Rihanan, when she was on album 1. So, how is that for Karma?

• towanda September 10, 2014 at 15:38 #

i don’t know how did you delete your previous post. i don’t hate rihanna nor rita . i don’t like rihanna nor rita. i don’t care both of them. i’m here for just fashion. i don’t like read this war. i wanna read fashion critics .

• nico September 10, 2014 at 07:50 #

don’t tell me what to write

25. nico September 10, 2014 at 07:21 #

Rita has the best body in the music industry: she has big boobs; a small waist, toned legs and Brazil butt. Plus, her weight does not go up or done. She could have pulled a JLO OR HALLE and stuck to the safe, same old sexy motif. But….she took a bold risk. The NY times said, she is the only singer who makes bold risk and rocks it with conviction.

I am glad she not just relying on being blonde and busty.

26. jenny September 10, 2014 at 07:12 #

Whoever thinks this is a good look either has exceptional taste that no one else has or had too many drinks.
    Who the hell is doing her hair? Worst hairstylist on her glam squad ever, her hair ruins almost every look of hers!

• nico September 10, 2014 at 07:15 #

Let us be honest, Everyone hates her, so, it would not matter what she wore, she would get attacked. This is bold dress and she is rocking the hell out of it. As for the hair….. She already had long Veronica lake earlier than date, so, I guess they switched it up for her TV performance.

• AB September 10, 2014 at 09:56 #

I don’t hate Rita Ora, I actually like some of her music. This is a fashion blog, why can’t you just accept that not everybody thinks that she is as amazingly stylish as you do? Some people have the knack for fashion and some people don’t. In my opinion Rita doesn’t,that is all.

• Iva September 10, 2014 at 10:03 #

ITA

• julyol1972 September 11, 2014 at 08:53 #

+ 2 Well said! I find Rita just as polarizing and unfashionable as Kim. I’m now resigned to the fact she and her horrible fashion will be around for a while.

I wish someone else had gotten to this dress before she did *sigh*

27. nico September 10, 2014 at 07:07 #

A really interesting look. The hair was short cos she performed; earlier, she was at a fashion show [ diesel ] and had her hair long and lush. This is bold and will get everyone talking.

28. Pedro September 10, 2014 at 06:46 #

This is her worst look EVER!

Worst Dressed Celebrity Of The Year and Worst Couture Look Of The Year

lol

• nico September 10, 2014 at 07:08 #

Worst dress celeb of the year? LOL Lea Dunhmam? Rihanna? Nici Minaj?

• Renata September 10, 2014 at 09:01 #

I honestly kinda like this look. I think with a better hair or maybe the belt this would’ve been great.

29. sophie September 10, 2014 at 06:32 #

Could’ve been chic buy with the hair she made it tacky.

• Marcel September 10, 2014 at 09:28 #

it looks like those latina nannies playing with her boss’ clothes when she is out for dinner.

• Larissa September 10, 2014 at 10:37 #

LMAO Marcel you win! I’m on the floor laughing 🙂 This just confirms what I’ve been thinking all along that her hairstylist is responsible for 90% of her red carpet failures.

• ok September 10, 2014 at 20:31 #

Nice, Marcel. You worked in some classism with your racism.

• Marcel September 10, 2014 at 21:27 #

Thanks for your political correctness. Now you can go and get a life for yourself.