Michelle Obama In Prabal Gurung – US African Leaders Summit

Michelle Obama In Prabal Gurung - US African Leaders Summit

Michelle Obama made a bright showing at a White House state dinner, hosted by President Obama for African leaders on Tuesday (August 5),

She once again pledged allegiance to her love of Prabal Gurung, wearing a look from the Nepalese designer’s Resort 2013 collection.

The radiant canary-yellow, silk chiffon frock with ruffle straps was shortened to tea length and featured a modified bodice from the lookbook, transforming the original gown into a more event-appropriate dress.

She emboldened the bold, nearly neon ensemble even more with the addition of an armful of bangles, statement earrings and the debut of a trendy, sleek topknot.

Her modest metallic pumps were the most standard piece of this look—not that anyone was paying attention to her shoes.

Did she maintain her first lady of fashion title here?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Angelababy In Simone Rocha - 'The Ghouls' Beijing Press Conference

Angelababy In Simone Rocha – ‘The Ghouls’ Beijing Press Conference

Aubrey Plaza's Tanya Taylor Silk Organza 'Bora' Top

Aubrey Plaza’s Tanya Taylor Silk Organza ‘Bora’ Top

35 Responses to Michelle Obama In Prabal Gurung – US African Leaders Summit

1. sophie August 7, 2014 at 20:48 #

“The most standard piece of this look.” FC you are so diplomatic ;)

So boring shoes aside (I’m dying for a pop of blue, purple or green holla) I love this.

• Prian August 8, 2014 at 01:35 #

Well, the dress and hair scream prom already, colorful shoes will take this straight to toddler birthday party

2. moonbeam August 7, 2014 at 20:48 #

Michelle Obama looks beautiful! I love how she often wears bright, bold colors.

3. Jen C August 7, 2014 at 20:49 #

so utterly inappropriate. she looks like she’s channeling her daughters. time to put the prom dress away

• Phoenix August 7, 2014 at 21:09 #

ITA. it looks way off, while I appreciate color, this dress looks like she raided her daughters closet.

• Evil Britta August 8, 2014 at 00:20 #

Agree! Not a good look.

• Prian August 8, 2014 at 01:17 #

Amen sister, and the knop knot just enhance the prom theme

• molly August 8, 2014 at 04:35 #

I completely agree, it looks as though she raided her daughters closet and took inspiration from them when it came to styling her hair. No grown woman with any self respect would wear their hair in a top knot bun.

• Madison August 8, 2014 at 06:26 #

“No grown woman with any self-respect would wear her hair in a top not bun” demonstrates your limited world view. Top knot buns are worn by many women of color, of all ages. JLo wore one on the red carpet not long ago, so Check your ignorance and perhaps look at the world through a less singular standard of beauty.

• molly August 8, 2014 at 19:28 #

And yet here you are, implying that it wouldnt be an okay style if she were not a woman of color.
          The fact is that like JLo, Michelle is wearing her hair like that to be fashionable, not to be cultural and it is age inappropriate and inappropriate for her position as FLOTUS.

• Sleepless in Chicago August 9, 2014 at 14:15 #

Agreed – not proper for the occasion. In fact, I believe that the dress is “too young” for her.

4. dee August 7, 2014 at 20:54 #

I would have preferred this as a gown. I don’t like the hairstyle. I understand why she probably wore her hair up to showcase the neckline but it’s not that flattering to me. One positive is that it is refreshing to see some summery colors after all the fall looks and black on red carpet recently.

5. kathryn August 7, 2014 at 20:59 #

LOVE! The color is great on her!

6. H August 7, 2014 at 21:06 #

Everything here is great! I think all the bangles refers to the african culture, they accesorize a lot and they took that idea, pretty cool!

7. Kemiman August 7, 2014 at 21:16 #

Even though I would have preferred this as a gown. I think she looks gorgeous. I love her fashion sense, a regal first lady all the way

8. Marcel August 7, 2014 at 21:21 #

It is a NO for me. I don’t like anything about this dress. Wrong length and wrong situation .

• Christine August 7, 2014 at 22:56 #

Agreed. I like the gown version.

• Sleepless in Chicago August 9, 2014 at 14:15 #

Right situation – wrong dress!

9. Maria August 7, 2014 at 21:21 #

This isn’t tea length. Tea length hits above the ankle and below the knee… it’s my favorite. Anyway, she looks as beautiful as always! What a color for her.

• chittychittybangbang August 11, 2014 at 00:21 #

Exactly.

10. shaphalf August 7, 2014 at 21:22 #

Love everything but the dress. It looks like something you would wear to your friend’s Sweet 16. Shame as she accessorized perfectly. And love that bun!

11. TeaAtTwo August 7, 2014 at 21:26 #

I like the bold hue on her but I think she should have worn an African designer.

• CreoleLady August 7, 2014 at 22:10 #

With so many countries represented, how could she choose one designer from one country without slighting the others? I think she made a smart choice.

12. pinksugar August 7, 2014 at 21:28 #

I love this. I think she looks fresh and summery chic. I always appreciate how much she embraces fashion. I do wish she had picked a different shoe. A pretty print would have been fab.

• Sleepless in Chicago August 9, 2014 at 14:16 #

Maybe for a kid’s party in a back yard. Not proper for the occasion and “too young” for her.

13. Amy August 7, 2014 at 21:39 #

I love the bold color and the styling, but unfortunately I agree that the dress as-is seems too young for her. As a gown it might have worked but this isn’t quite cutting it to me.

14. Leto August 7, 2014 at 21:43 #

The only thing I like is the colour against her skin. The dress itself is too girly for her and the event. The bodice is somehow too short, makes it an empire waist dress, which doesn’t suit Mrs Obama. Makes her look wider, almost pregnant. The top knot is also a No.

• Quinn August 7, 2014 at 23:05 #

agree on all points!

• AB August 7, 2014 at 23:27 #

• chittychittybangbang August 11, 2014 at 00:22 #

15. CreoleLady August 7, 2014 at 22:23 #

She is an African-American queen wearing her crown. Recognize. J’adore that top knot, the dress color, and the divine chiffon fabric. Prefer the gown but oh my goodness, the yellow is just wonderful.

• Alina August 8, 2014 at 07:03 #

Ditto!

• Sleepless in Chicago August 9, 2014 at 14:19 #

Good color for her. I love the bracelets. With that said, this dress is all wrong: the style is too casual for the occasion, the length is wrong , too. The ankle or a floor length dress in this color with a sophisticated design would be phenomenal. It’s a shame, that this has been a missed fashion opportunity.

16. nduch August 7, 2014 at 23:02 #

I feel like the colour is great but the neckline is all wrong. I’m not saying she can’t show her arms but I think a bit more sleeve would help make it look less prom dress. And too many bangles for me!

17. Madison August 8, 2014 at 06:33 #

FLOTUS looks beautiful in color, especially this color. Not my fave dress either version, but she makes it work. I love the stacked arm of bangles! A modern nod to historical fashion of many African cultures. I would have preferred her hair down with a wicked flip, but the top knot bun allows for the focus to be on the dress/neckline. One note of correction for the article writer, tea length is traditionally considered mid-to-low shin. If the calf muscle is exposed, it is not tea length.