04.08.14

The Duke & Duchess Of Cambridge Attend A Service Of Remembrance

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge; French President Francois Hollande; Queen Mathilde of Belgium; and the Duke of Cambridge attended the WW1 100 Years Commemoration Ceremony held at Le Mémorial Interallié on Monday morning (August 4) in Liege, Belgium.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge: The duchess opted for a coat dress, naturally, by her favourite British brand, Alexander McQueen, which featured a pleated skirt and Peter Pan collar, which she accessorized with a Jane Taylor Millinery hat with dusty-pink roses, her trusted L.K. Bennett nude heels, a cream suede Alexander McQueen clutch sans skull clasp, and a pair of Kiki McDonough pearl drop earrings.

Queen Mathilde of Belgium: Opting to wear her favourite colour, blue, the Queen wore a faux-wrap dress with a gathered detail at the side which draped at the hip, styled with grey accessories which dampen my love for this look.

Credit: Getty

Taylor Swift's Equipment 'Ian Archive' Prism Tunic And Rag & Bone 'Classic Newbury' Booties

Taylor Swift’s Equipment ‘Ian Archive’ Prism Tunic And Rag & Bone ‘Classic Newbury’ Booties

Jordana Brewster In Stella McCartney - ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ LA Premiere

Jordana Brewster In Stella McCartney – ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ LA Premiere

22 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – WW1 100 Years Commemoration Ceremony

1. betty brandenburg August 4, 2014 at 17:23 #

Is a McQueen clutch without the skull a McQueen clutch? Why bother carrying one of those (which admittedly would have been as you like to say “event inappropriate”). The shoes make me want to cry.

2. Marcel August 4, 2014 at 17:35 #

My dislike for her is growing exponentially. I read somewhere she has a personal adviser ( though not a stylist) for her wardrobe. Can somebody confirm that?

• molly August 4, 2014 at 19:34 #

She has a “dresser” for tours and such, but I dont know if this person helps her with her day to day outfits. It sounds like Kate picks her outfits, this person probably just helps her out and makes suggestions.

• Marcel August 5, 2014 at 14:30 #

Thanks.

• Sleepless in Chicago August 6, 2014 at 10:59 #

With or without a dresser, she should be able to afford a new pair of shoes.

3. Phoenix August 4, 2014 at 17:40 #

Sorry to all the royal lovers out there… But they have to wear the absolute most blah boring fashion ever. There is nothing duller to me.
    And the funky hats they wear, do NOT make it better.

4. sophie August 4, 2014 at 17:44 #

They all look bad.

5. Alina August 4, 2014 at 17:49 #

I prefer Queen Mathilde’s dress.

• Christine August 4, 2014 at 18:51 #

Me too. Her styling is way better too

• Lee Ann August 4, 2014 at 18:57 #

Heck the Cadet behind them is better styled than either

• tod August 4, 2014 at 20:41 #

:)))

6. Lila August 4, 2014 at 18:57 #

I think Queen Mathilde looks lovely. The grey accessories are blah but this is a royal at a war memorial and at least they aren’t black or nude.

Is Kate only allowed to go without a coat if she has on short sleeves and it’s insanely hot? I just don’t understand her constant coat dresses. As Queen Mathilde shows here, there are other conservative and elegant options. Even the Countess of Wessex doesn’t wear coats constantly and she’s British too.

About this coat dress, I dislike it. I hate the juvenile looking Peter Pan collar, the seam under the bust looks ill fitted and the cut of the coat makes her look too long waisted. She has done much better in coats.

7. Elaine2 August 4, 2014 at 19:07 #

Another failure by Sarah Burton. This coat dress is a mess and not flattering on the Duchess at all. The peter pan collar, the pleated skirt – both look juvenile. The worst part is that mess across the bust area. If you look closely at the darts they go too high over her bust. The sleeves with the pleating at the top are just one too many design details that add up to make this one of the worst coats she’s purchased from the designer.

The shoes, well no big surprise there. Hate them.
    The hat doesn’t seem appropriate for the solemn venue. I’m sorry but once again Kate doesn’t get it right.

The Queen of Belgium could use a new bra.

8. Suz August 4, 2014 at 20:21 #

I realize she’s the Duchess and everything, but is there not a respectful summer alternative to the coat dress?

9. tod August 4, 2014 at 20:40 #

what does the duchess wear underneath the coat? she must be boiling with all those layers on!

10. aux bonnieux August 5, 2014 at 03:40 #

her outfit is good enough for such a somber event

11. Faellie August 5, 2014 at 09:49 #

I quite like the coat and hat, but wish that Kate would do something other than long loose hair at formal events.

12. Maria August 5, 2014 at 13:50 #

What says McQueen in this ensemble?
    NOTHING!
    So embarrassing that they keep making outfits that have nothing to do with the brand- just to please the Duchess (and her advisers) and to have the mentioning in the Paper..
    or did I miss out and Alexander McQueen is now getting inspired by Catherine Walker?

13. Anja August 5, 2014 at 13:53 #

Mc Queen? I thought it was LKBennett!

14. Betelgeuze August 7, 2014 at 13:52 #

Catherine has influenced me to wear and really like coat dresses, but, however, wearing them in August when the temperatures in Europe are a minimum of 25 Celsius is rather… headscratching. Although the hat is gorgeous I can’t really look past this.

Queen Mathilde’s dress is nice, season and event appropriate, but the grey accesories do not get a pass from me.

15. Bailey November 14, 2014 at 20:48 #

Catherine looks nice as always. Totally agree that the grey accessories bring down the entire look of the Queen’s look