Cate Blanchett In Fausto Puglisi -  'The Hobbit The Battle Of The Five Armies' Comic-Con 2014 Press Line
Cate Blanchett was at ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ press line, hosted at the Hilton Bayfront hotel during Comic-Con International 2014 in San Diego, California on Saturday (July 26).

I have to say that I could barely believe my eyes when I saw Cate; it’s like some particularly heinous comic-book villains stole her sophisticated style.

This Fausto Puglisi Resort 2015 dress, worn with Roger Vivier black pumps, was many shades of wrong—from the pink to the pleats, and from the boxy T-shirt sleeves to the satin detailing.

Better to not dwell on what could be her most disappointing look ever.

I have complete faith that Cate will be recovered in no time and back to her regal red-carpet ways.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Nina Dobrev In J. Mendel, Naeem Khan & Michael Kors - Comic-Con 2014 & Entertainment Weekly's Annual Comic-Con Celebration

Nina Dobrev In J. Mendel, Naeem Khan & Michael Kors – Comic-Con 2014 & Entertainment Weekly’s Annual Comic-Con Celebration

Elle Fanning In Christopher Kane - Comic-Con 2014: 'The Boxtrolls' Panel

Elle Fanning In Christopher Kane – Comic-Con 2014: ‘The Boxtrolls’ Panel

28 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Fausto Puglisi – ‘The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies’ Comic-Con 2014 Press Line

1. Phoenix July 27, 2014 at 19:31 #

Her previous Elie Saab look was the MOST disappointing ever haha….
    But this is rather blah also. Maybe her regular stylist took a vacation??
    I like Fausto Puglisi, but not in this case. The dress looks somewhat cheap. hm

2. julyol1972 July 27, 2014 at 19:33 #

Wow, 0 for 2! I know Cate will find her style mojo again, but if this is any indication, it’ll be a painful process for us to watch.

3. alvaro_spain July 27, 2014 at 19:37 #

Omg! This is awfullll!! It seems she works in a bowling…

• gabis July 28, 2014 at 15:08 #

Or a cake shop/bakery/cafe, lol. Really awful.

• cherrysoftness July 29, 2014 at 03:02 #

Bowling… can’t even finish the line, it’s so true it hurts! Not just the cut but the color is so bad for her, and then the styling.

4. Nat39 July 27, 2014 at 19:41 #

The dress is not very good but it could’ve worked on someone else, it’s simply not working on Cate with her pale complexion and the length is extremely unflattering to her legs. She’s had bad looks before.

5. Alina July 27, 2014 at 20:04 #

This is really, really bad on her. I think someone like Zoe Saldana could have made this dress work.

6. Christine July 27, 2014 at 20:06 #

This is horrible

• Yeliz July 28, 2014 at 11:58 #

Totally.

7. CreoleLady July 27, 2014 at 20:27 #

I repeat, phoning it in. S’Ok, she’s an accomplished actress, a busy woman, not required to be a fashion plate, obviously not a priority. Just disappointing since she certainly has the fashion chops.

8. Eliza July 27, 2014 at 20:58 #

I actually really like this, I think it’s fashion forward and futuristic. Though it’s not a princess gown, it’s a modern take on a daytime look. It’s anything but boring, so I actually don’t think this deserves title of worst cate look ever.

• pinksugar July 28, 2014 at 00:20 #

I totally agree. I don’t see why on earth this would get such a dramatic title. I think it’s event appropriate and quite lovely on her. I also agree the ES number prior in the week was a far bigger miss than this.

• Britta July 28, 2014 at 12:20 #

I totally agree!. This is sweet and event appropriate! Love the pleats!

9. Charlotte July 27, 2014 at 21:42 #

I actually like this dress? It is kind of fun and very appropriate for a convention like this (where people go dressed as their fave characters). It may not be what she used to wear, but again I like that she is unpredictable on her fashion choices. Sometimes people like them, others not but she is always true to her wacky style.

10. DorianGray July 28, 2014 at 00:21 #

I don’t think this is that bad. I much prefer Puglisi to the boring Elie Saab dresses.

11. Fiona - Perth July 28, 2014 at 02:34 #

Hmm, not the best. Interesting how good lighting can make that dress look great on the model – colour and fit is just wrong for Cate. I guess everyone has an off day…

12. faye July 28, 2014 at 03:25 #

I LIKE THIS. It’s way better than the vanilla Elie Saab.

13. sophie July 28, 2014 at 03:26 #

Cate’s stylist Elizabeth Stewart failed hard here. Cate failed. Well, no one is perfect.

Cheap dress, bad design.

14. ALBERT July 28, 2014 at 08:22 #

not only the dress look CHEAP, but fades her away….. SAD for her… that dress doesn’t deserve any credits other than the worst ones….

15. Larissa July 28, 2014 at 09:10 #

I’ve definitely seen worse but since it’s Cate we’re talking abouy my standards are obviously higher than usual and I really dislike this. It’s so unflattering and ages her a lot….can’t wait for her to wear a gorgeous gown and leave me speechless as usual!

16. red rose July 28, 2014 at 09:21 #

I actually think the perfect choice for this event would have been the Fall 2014 Armani Prive white trouser suit with the bell shaped sleeves that Fashion Critic predicted for Nicole Kidman. Even though its couture it would still have looked event appropriate, and it would have been a great nod to Galadriel.

17. dee July 28, 2014 at 14:37 #

I think her styling is what makes this seem off. I wish she wore her hair down and some funkier black shoes. I think the dress is really nice.

18. Rebecca Z July 28, 2014 at 15:19 #

It’s like a “updated” June Cleaver look. Really sad. She looks like a grandma with all these fresh young things. Being a grandma is great, but you don’t have to look like one. Specially when you are her age!

19. TeaAtTwo July 28, 2014 at 16:32 #

It looks fine on the model but mumsy on Cate.

20. Dhppy July 28, 2014 at 17:06 #

Ugh! That satin detailing down the front and under the arms… Why? Just why? It’s like someone with OCD designed this with symmetry in mind and creativity got run over in the process.

21. Pedro July 28, 2014 at 17:24 #

Another terrible look, that’s just sad!

Please come back, Queen Cate

22. Prudence July 29, 2014 at 00:19 #

god can she please stay clear of white/offwhites/anything light colored!! she is soo washed out. On top of it this dress is terribly matronly and looks badly made

23. alvaro_spain July 29, 2014 at 14:56 #