Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Bletchley Park Visit

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen -  Bletchley Park Visit

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge paid an official visit to Bletchley Park on today (June 18) in Bletchley, England.

She was wearing Alexander McQueen once again, which was also a re-run.

The Duchess first wore this Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2011 miltary blouse with navy trims, gold button-fastening epaulets and military-style frogging with a wool-crepe skirt with gold anchor-embossed buttons back in 2011 while on a visit to Birmingham.

This was one of Catherine’s rare chic looks before she became the Queen of repeats and coat dresses.

Many of you have asked why I continue to feature her.

Perhaps out of some sense of duty, but mostly I’m hoping she will turn things around.

FYI, I am not holding my breath.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney - The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Olivia Palermo In Tibi - 'Yves Saint Laurent' New York Premiere

Olivia Palermo In Tibi – ‘Yves Saint Laurent’ New York Premiere

36 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Bletchley Park Visit

1. Alina June 18, 2014 at 13:13 #

OK, I understand reruns but with two conditions:
    1. you do something different the second time;
    2. it’s not one after another after another etc.

• Christine June 18, 2014 at 13:39 #

Yep, exactly. Pretty much

• Yeliz June 18, 2014 at 18:30 #

Totally.

• Sleepless in Chicago June 20, 2014 at 11:11 #

BORING!

2. Lee Ann June 18, 2014 at 13:28 #

The belt which she did not wear kind of lifts it. She looks like a drum majorette.

3. betty brandenburg June 18, 2014 at 13:28 #

Agree with Alina.

FC, Please feature Mary, Princess of Denmark instead – much more inspiring! :-)

4. Au Fil d'Isa June 18, 2014 at 13:32 #

I, for one, love that she is doing repeats. It makes her more down-to-earth, more human, actually. She comes across as being one of our own, rather than some lofty princess. And if you could buy great designer clothes, wouldn’t you want to wear them over and over again? I sure would!

• liz June 18, 2014 at 14:09 #

I have to agree. And if she did wear something new every time, critics would be condemning her for spending all that “tax-payer money” on extravagant clothing.

• Au Fil d'Isa June 18, 2014 at 14:14 #

So true! She can’t win either way, it seems.

• Grace Patricia June 18, 2014 at 15:27 #

Love the reruns, just dislike her style.

• Cássia June 18, 2014 at 15:47 #

I totally agree with you! She’s not a celebrity, she has a dress code to follow. About the repeats, at least the clothes are hers, nor borrowed… I admire the Dutchess and her outfits!

• Prudence June 18, 2014 at 18:54 #

The majority of us have no issues with the fact that she re-wears her clothes……..but would it kill her to do it differently the second time. It does not matter if she repeats or not, the original is usually just as bad as its repeat outings. She has zero sense of style and being a princess has nothing to do with it.

• Au Fil d'Isa June 18, 2014 at 19:16 #

I’m with you on the different styling for the repeats. That would be nice. But I do love her style, I think she always looks very chic and elegant.

5. Sophy June 18, 2014 at 13:48 #

I think this is a better ocassion to wear this outfit rather than touring a riot infested area….I think she looked better last timt though- I I think its the hair- its almost center parted this time and messy….her hair was at its best with her original hair people who really knew how to make iot sing!!

6. Samm June 18, 2014 at 14:11 #

I am a regular reader and I appreciate your blog. Not only for your extensive knowledge of fashion but also because you shape your comments to the context of the occasion and the person. Except for your comments on the Duchess of Cambridge. It seems in keeping with the trend of most royalty to dress in a way that is accessible, does not flaunt their wealth and honors their local designers or designers of the countries they visit. For the most part this is what she does. I don’t see the need for her to be as trendy as the celebrities you mostly feature. While she is a mother and wife of future kings, she is neither Queen, Princess of Wales or a full time royal. Her clothes reflect this.

• Catherine Kallon June 18, 2014 at 14:22 #

Thanks for your comment Samm. I totally understand why she dresses and why she repeats.

That being said, you only have to look at the other Royals in Europe, Crown Princess Victoria immediately springs to mind, and you can see that as a royal you can dress in an accessible way yet still inspire, have fun with it and look your age.

Trendy is not what I am hoping she will eventually stumble upon, firstly I don’t think it would suit her, secondly, like you said she’s a royal not Miley :D

I would like to be excited about what she wears in the same way I was with Olivia Wilde’s Stella McCartney Letterman look that I got up at 11.30pm last night and asked Rachel to write it for me.

That’s all I ask :) x

• fatima June 18, 2014 at 16:41 #

“honors their local designers or designers of the countries they visit”

Except she did not do that when she visited New Zealand and Australia. It was all American and British designers, except for maybe one or two local designers. It was very odd.

When will she be a full time royal? The best time to promote causes is in her youth, not when she’s truly middle-aged and her children will garner more press attention than she will by that time.

• Kate June 18, 2014 at 18:09 #

I totally agree. The UK (and the rest of the western world, really) have fallen on hard economic times. It is not her job to be a fashion icon or to “wow” us with her sartorial choices every time she walks out the door. Her job is to promote the welfare of the British people. Perhaps Kate doesn’t WANT to dress in a more fashion-forward way. So why try to encourage her to be something she doesn’t want to be? I love seeing her featured on the site because I think she always looks chic, tasteful, and event-appropriate. Everything fits well and she doesn’t look preoccupied with making an impact in the fashion world.
      I actually covet her style.

• Prudence June 18, 2014 at 18:57 #

this has nothing to do with us wanting her to wear expensive clothes….we simply wish she would wear the clothes she chooses to wear in a more exciting way. she is the epitome or boring. and I disagree with the ” It seems in keeping with the trend of most royalty ” their way of dressing is far more superior and inspiring.

7. Elaine2 June 18, 2014 at 15:10 #

I always get a kick out of the Kate posts mostly because the media hypes her up to be so fashionable, and yet IMO she rarely gets it right. We can always hope, though.

8. Camille June 18, 2014 at 15:11 #

Long sleeves in summer, but at least it isn’t a coatdress. I am not holding my breath either, but I do still have hope that she will find a way to be a tad more stylish and a tad less frumpy. This dress is most certainly one of the few from the past that I actually liked. I don’t mind the repeats at all. I don’t think any expect or want her to be a full on fashionista, but that doesn’t mean she can’t dress her age and with some style. By all means, be chic on a budget, but for God’s sake stop dressing matronly and so very plain.

• sanette June 18, 2014 at 19:06 #

• Carolina June 18, 2014 at 20:39 #

I’d hardly call her frumpy.

• Camille June 18, 2014 at 22:44 #

With few exceptions I can almost always picture her mother or Camilla wearing the exact same outfit. When a 30 year old dresses matronly, I feel safe in calling her frumpy. But perhaps mumsy or matronly or just too dang old for her age are more appropriate.

9. Ali June 18, 2014 at 15:32 #

I don’t mind that she does reruns, my complaint is the styling, it is so aging. She’s a young royal so should aim for some fashion fun. I hope you don’t stop covering her as we all want to be there for the moment she pulls a show stopper.

• Lisa June 18, 2014 at 15:42 #

ITA. I respect her more for doing reruns.

Please keep featuring her, at least for awhile longer…

10. Rebecca Z June 18, 2014 at 15:36 #

Kate is certainly being very careful, isn’t she? I don’t particularly like this look and I am tired of the coat dresses which seem to have become her primary diet. I like the repeating because, as someone said–you have those beautifully made clothes who wouldn’t want to wear them again. She could certainly be less boring, but for some reason, she is being very conservative. Still, I like seeing her and hope springs eternal that she will relax a little.

11. chanchasl June 18, 2014 at 19:49 #

What is the problem with rerun ?? I mean we all were our dresses several times.. I think she is setting a new standard of her own by being more down to earth..

12. Larissa June 18, 2014 at 20:47 #

I’m ok with reruns and I understand why she keeps repeating her outfits. What I don’t get is why she can’t change her hairstyle, pumps ( her nude LK Bennett seem to follow her everywhere) or try something different and lighter with her makeup for a change.

13. Amanda June 18, 2014 at 21:09 #

I appreciate that she is featured here because I tend to dress on the conservative side but would like to step outside the box a bit, while still remaining true to who I am. I find that the constructive commentary about her outfits can be useful and it teaches me how I can do this for my own looks.

14. Noemi June 19, 2014 at 09:54 #

I think that she “deserves” to be featured on this blog only when she wears something interesting or when she attends important events. I mean, the blog is yours, FC, and you can do whatever you want :-) but as a reader who loves, reads and comments it every day I find her presence “a bit too much”.
    Said that, every time I see her wearing McQueen I can’t help but thinking if Alexander would have liked to dress her so often and with such boring clothes that don’t even seem McQueen.

15. Neli June 20, 2014 at 16:30 #

Boring ZZzzzzz

16. tuftufwang June 23, 2014 at 20:25 #

Maybe the Royal Budget for Wardrobe is running a bit thin after the financial crisis? I’m starting to suspect ……

17. Sleepless in Chicago June 24, 2014 at 22:38 #

What a tired look! Have seen it a million times – never works.

18. Joy June 24, 2014 at 23:24 #

IMO, you have to cover her. This should not be considered in the same conversation as “The Kardashians Debate”. Yes she is pretty bland, but I strongly believe she has the right to be here. You always comment on royalty of all countries, as an American maybe I/we can’t comprehend that completely, but I think for that reason alone she deserves to be included.

She doesn’t bother me fashionably, in fact I really like her style or lack of it. I find it endearing.

Oh, and I like this look so there.

19. jen July 2, 2014 at 22:58 #

She actually didn’t have a noticeable repeat (might have been under a coat at an event) and it’s not covered… I’m betting the Wimbledon will be covered since it was a noticeable repeat