30.05.14

Best of Cannes 2014

Opening Ceremony & "Grace Of Monaco" Premiere - The 67th Annual Cannes Film FestivalCannes4-56-78-910-11

While Cannes Film Festival didn’t quite live up to expectations of the previous years, there were some highlights.

Mine was Blake Lively managing to fill the high-end-glamour void left open by Zoe Saldana, Cheryl Cole and Eva Longoria, plus of course both Aishwarya Rai and Sonam Kapoor.

So it comes as no surprise to me that Blake has two gowns in the top 3 of your Top 10.

Other gowns you loved outside this top ten included Cate Blanchett in Armani Privé, Natasha Poly in Oscar de la Renta and Nicole Kidman in Armani Privé, which was surprising considering you guys didn’t take too well to this look in the comments.

Gucci première

Gucci Premiere was by far your favourite red carpet brand this year, worn by Blake Lively and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, with the usual favourite Elie Saab in second place, followed by Atelier Versace and Armani Privé.

Queen of Cannes

When it came to your Queen of Cannes, Blake Lively was again top of the tree, followed by Aishwarya Rai, Cate Blanchett and Sonam Kapoor.

Love her or dislike her, she truly rose to the occasion.

Least Favourite

Marion Cotillard’s Christian Dior dress was your least favourite this year. Just when we thought things were looking up for Marion in the style department, this dress and shoe combo happened.

I was sure Irina Shayk or Karlie Kloss would be the least favourite, but they were second and third respectively, with the other least favourite look being Sonam Kapoor’s Anamika Khanna traditional dress.

Ryan Gosling

Ryan Gosling directorial debut for ‘Lost River’ was booed by critics at the festival, but he took home one award as he was your best-dressed man. Even though he didn’t live up to the 2011 festival, he was still the sharpest fella on the red carpet, followed by James McAvoy, Ryan Reynolds and Robert Pattinson.

Credit: Getty

Jamie Chung's Jimmy Choo 'Marlin' Boots

Jamie Chung’s Jimmy Choo ‘Marlin’ Boots

Frugal Friday

Frugal Friday

28 Responses to Best of Cannes 2014

1. lee May 30, 2014 at 17:41 #

One of my favorties that is not included was Jessica Chastain in the gorgeous Lavender Elie Saab. She looked stunning.

• Kate May 30, 2014 at 18:33 #

Ditto! So surprised it was left off the list.

2. sophie May 30, 2014 at 17:42 #

Ryan only made two appearances at Cannes and they were not as great as last time. Robert Pattinson so robbed.
    I thought Uma in yellow Atelier Versace should have gotten number 2 and Blake in the strapless black and white Gucci Premiere should have gotten number one, but hey…

For someone with a shaky acting career *Kate Bosworth, Camilla Belle cough cough*, Blake still wins in the style stakes…

• Taylor May 30, 2014 at 17:53 #

• justme June 2, 2014 at 01:42 #

Most of Robert’s outfits weren’t even properly ironed.

3. Taylor May 30, 2014 at 17:52 #

I believe Blake Lively’s red Gucci is an undeserved number 1 (boring, unoriginal, seen it many times) and her black and white number was far superior. Cate Blanchett at number 2 doesn’t make sense to me either especially as she’s done better and had better looks at Cannes this year -she probably only got voted to that position because of her extreme support on this website…

Having said that I love most of the top looks- Jessica Chastain, Uma Thurman, Aishwarya Rai, Rosie etc. and agree on Gucci as the top designer and Marion’s look as the worst.

• RT May 31, 2014 at 13:59 #

• Jones19 June 2, 2014 at 13:18 #

I think Blake’s black and white gown should have been #1 too.

4. MatBer May 30, 2014 at 18:15 #

FINALLY a first place to someone who doesn’t look like a Disney-Princess!!! I am very glad!!!

5. Alina May 30, 2014 at 18:18 #

Not really my top 11, but all of them looked beautiful.

6. Yeliz May 30, 2014 at 18:22 #

My personal top look was Blake in the black and white Gucci gown. I more or less agree with the other parts of this best of.

7. mm May 30, 2014 at 18:44 #

FC I love your wrap ups. And your daily coverage was amazing. I was disappointed this year that I didnt have a BDOTY look, but this is still my favorite event.

8. Susan May 30, 2014 at 19:02 #

In the top certainly but not #1. The color is OK, the fit is fantastic.

9. Simon May 30, 2014 at 19:29 #

YASSSS for Blake Lively !!!! <3

10. Larissa May 30, 2014 at 19:29 #

Blake in the black and white Gucci gown was my #1, but the red one is gorgeous as well. I’m surprised Jessica Chastain in the lovely Elie Saab is not there.

11. Paul McL May 30, 2014 at 19:57 #

Gosling does not deserve best male. Robert Pattinson looked better.

12. Christine May 30, 2014 at 20:04 #

Agreed with Ryan as best dressed male.
    Blake did shut it down the Captive premiere.

But Cate will always be my number one.

13. pinksugar May 30, 2014 at 21:17 #

Totally agree on Blake. But Pattinson beat Gosling by miles in my opinion.

14. Nat39 May 30, 2014 at 21:18 #

I liked Blake’s Gucci but I can’t agree with it being #1. While executed to perfection, the look simply didn’t have a distinct memorable drama (esp. worthy of Cannes opening ceremony). I felt like those impressive earrings were the actual stars.

On the other hand, I’m totally on board with Blake being the Queen. I thought she did very well overall. Her and Sonam were the two I considered for the queen.

Glad Jessica Chastain made it.

15. shontay May 30, 2014 at 23:42 #

YES! Blake is queen. Finally, something goes my way. Ha! I’m not a fan of hers as an actress at all, but I adore her style. I think her black & white number should’ve been #1, though but I’m not complaining.

• Avery May 31, 2014 at 14:57 #

16. amy May 31, 2014 at 00:44 #

-wow, I really don’t get the hype about Blake’s wine dress. honestly, it fits her nicely but it’s so basic. her black and white dress on the other hand is true Cannes material.
    -My personal picks for n°1 were Cate Blanchett in that blue/green Armani number and Rosie HW in Gucci. Gucci really brought their A-game this year.
    - least favorite: Karlie Kloss in that lace disaster. awful!!

17. EmmaWoodhouse May 31, 2014 at 01:05 #

Wondering if we’ll get to see your list, FC? :)
    Cate Blanchett wins best dressed and Queen of Cannes for me, but I do like quite a few of the listed looks.
    Interesting that Sonam Kapoor’s look made it onto both best and worst looks (if I’m reading this correctly)
    Lots of fun to see! I found a lot of BDOTY contenders!

Thanks again for all the fantabulous coverage, FC and team <3

• Catherine Kallon June 2, 2014 at 10:30 #

thank you…I don’t really have one….only Sonam, Blake, Aishwarya and Cate moved me this year

18. RT May 31, 2014 at 13:58 #

FC, I was surprised that Karolina Kurkova in Marchesa did not feature anywhere in your poll. It was one of the best Cannes dresses on red carpet this year.
    I am bored and disappointed to see overrated Blake lively again.

19. Agnes May 31, 2014 at 17:16 #

I don’t get the hype of Blake Lively, I found her dresses boring.

20. sharon June 1, 2014 at 09:55 #

Seriously….blake ……queen of cannes…..ashwarya deservrd it…..for the first time no credibility…….

21. Zing June 5, 2014 at 23:24 #

The queen of Cannes was none other than Aishwarya Rai for her glorious appearance at the red carpet. Everyone had their eyes on her….even the cameras. Everything stood still when she arrived. None of the beauties managed to hold such an aura on the red carpet. Just for that charisma alone, Aishwarya desrves the Queen of Cannes.