Kristen Stewart In Chanel Couture -  ‘Clouds Of Sils Maria’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Kristen Stewart attended the Cannes Film Festival premiere of her movie, ‘Clouds Of Sils Maria’, this evening (May 23) in Cannes, France, having missed the photocall earlier in the day.

The actress, sporting red locks for a movie she’s currently filming – hence the delay in her arrival – wore a Chanel Spring 2014 Couture look featuring a bedazzled sleeveless top and matching trousers.

I can already feel your disapproval, but were you really expecting her to wear a big frothy ball gown? I know I wasn’t.

I knew she would take a different direction, I just wish I was a bit more excited by it. The issue for me is that this pales in comparison with her stunning Reem Acra gown from 2012.

If I didn’t know better I would say she was wearing sparkly pyjamas, however, she does wear it well.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

Juliette Binoche In  Armani Privé - ‘Clouds Of Sils Maria’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Juliette Binoche In Armani Privé – ‘Clouds Of Sils Maria’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

75 Responses to Kristen Stewart In Chanel Couture – ‘Clouds Of Sils Maria’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Alina May 23, 2014 at 19:37 #

Tbh, this may be my favourite look of hers. She looks comfortable and true to who she is.

• gabis May 23, 2014 at 20:14 #

Agreed. And whilst I find it incredibly underwhelming for a Cannes Premiere I still feel very captivated by this look. The fitting is a tad off but so is in most couture jumpsuits. The important thing is that she looks comfortable hence really gorgeous. Her hair colour thankfully did not become a distraction and her makeup is flawless. Nude pumps would not have been my first choice but they kinda work. Thumbs up from me.

• adrian May 23, 2014 at 21:13 #

+2 – plus there is elegance and pizzazz.

• Elena May 24, 2014 at 10:06 #

• Jacque May 25, 2014 at 06:23 #

“true to who she is”

You do know that actors and fashion advisers work WITH the their clients? It’s not like the actors are forced to where a piece they absolutely hate. Enough of this “true to self” cr_p.

• Tina May 26, 2014 at 20:25 #

2. PnP May 23, 2014 at 19:39 #

I for one really like this. She’s not the girl to wear huge gowns on the RC. Hair and make up look beautiful and overall she looks super cool.

• admmgz May 23, 2014 at 19:43 #

3. Leska May 23, 2014 at 19:40 #

The problem is the clothes, but her “I’m bored, what I’m doing here” face. She always looks like she would prefer be in another place, I really dont get it.

• Leska May 23, 2014 at 19:46 #

* isn’t the clothes!

• Kim May 23, 2014 at 19:47 #

As someone that has perma-b*tchface myself, there is nothing she can do about the way her face is to make you happy. She looks more than happy to be there. People always projecting their feelings onto her, its ridiculous. If she smiles people pretend she’s not smiling. If she doesn’t smile, she must be miserable. Shut up.

• lea May 23, 2014 at 20:38 #

People here love to take any excuse to bash her. I mean there were like hundreds of pics of her with a big smile. I mean come on , she was almost crying during her interview on the red carpet. But OK, that doesn’t fit the she never smile narrative.

• Leska May 23, 2014 at 21:07 #

Wow, you don’t need to be rude, that was just my opinion.

• Maria May 23, 2014 at 19:48 #

I watched live stream, she looked realy happy, just maybe a little shy. Photos don’t do justice, she looked really good.

• justme May 23, 2014 at 19:49 #

After years of complaining, I’ve come to accept that’s just the way she is lol. Even when she acts, she’s just not a demonstrative person.

• Leska May 23, 2014 at 19:52 #

Thats the problem, she can act, because she is not a demonstrative person…

• JJ May 23, 2014 at 19:49 #

She always looks bored and miserable. That can ruin a look regardless of what someone is wearing.

• Eve May 23, 2014 at 19:53 #

She is bored and miserable. She only wants attention because she is sooo private and blah blah blah. What a faker.

• Kim May 24, 2014 at 00:08 #

You literally make no sense whatsoever.

• Jacque May 25, 2014 at 06:25 #

The poster makes sense but you just plug your fingers in the your ears.

• LC May 24, 2014 at 02:54 #

yes.. she does always have that smug face. she’s one the most paid actress in the world… so she can do whatever she wants. lol.

• Jacque May 25, 2014 at 06:26 #

Most paid actress in the world = can do whatever she wants.

That is called a straw man and entitlement. I wouldn’t be lol’ing that.

4. V May 23, 2014 at 19:42 #

I think it suits her very well, and hair and make-up is perfect.

5. Kate May 23, 2014 at 19:43 #

This may not be one of my favorite looks from her (I LOVED her in Reem Acra in 2012), but I still think she looks good here. Her hair and makeup look beautiful!

6. Yeliz May 23, 2014 at 19:44 #

I think she wears this very well. I did expect a gown but this is more true to her style and she looks comfortable and great. I also love the hairstyle, but would’ve preferred some fancy footwear, but she looks pretty good nonetheless.

7. justme May 23, 2014 at 19:46 #

Inappropriate, not particularly fitting but she looks comfortable & not awkward.

8. Iris May 23, 2014 at 19:49 #

I try not to be snarky, but seriously, that half-and-half hair? It’s almost disrespectful!

• Nicole May 24, 2014 at 01:17 #

The hair is for a movie she is still filming. Hair aside (although, I like the colour), I quite like this look, but would have preferred something a little more grand for Cannes.

9. Christine May 23, 2014 at 19:49 #

Ugh. The fit is unflattering and this is not a good look.

10. Anne May 23, 2014 at 19:57 #

I love this! Stylish, comfortable, far better fitted to her than the model, and gorgeous hair, makeup and lovely bracelet! I’ll take this look over some of the tacky Versaces (sorry, Donatella) and overcooked ballgowns we’ve seen this week. Especially impressive given she hopped off a flight just a couple hours ago. To thine own self be true, Ms Stewart.

• H May 23, 2014 at 20:33 #

Right? If it depends on the model I wouldn’t care about this cause that model looks absolutely terrible in this ensemble.

11. scarlett May 23, 2014 at 19:57 #

I have an ongoing issue with her being any kind of representative or ‘face’ for Chanel and I’m not a fan of hers. I’ll admit, she’s looked worse, she’s also looked better tho. It’s a half hearted effort in my opinion.

• Maria May 23, 2014 at 20:02 #

Chanel financed “Sils Maria” so it’s not a surprise all three ladies wore Chanel.

• scarlett May 23, 2014 at 20:37 #

I’m fully aware of that but her relationship with Chanel extends beyond this film and it’s not something I’m a fan of. I don’t see her as a good representative for the brand. It’s not a good fit when you look at the likes of Keira, Vanessa Paradis, Clemence Posey or Diane Kruger.

• lea May 23, 2014 at 21:03 #

Karl Lagerfeld disagree. And at the end of the day that’s all that matter.

• Maria May 23, 2014 at 21:09 #

And Karl is always right :)

• scarlett May 23, 2014 at 21:15 #

Except it’s not Karl Lagerfeld who splashes out and buys Chanel is it? Neither is it the majority of her fans I’m guessing.

• Jacque May 25, 2014 at 06:31 #

You’re basically saying “Ethics? What ethics? As long as she gets what she wants it’s all good.”

Stewart fans are probably the most amoral fanbase I’ve come across.

• Jacque May 25, 2014 at 06:34 #

I agree with you, scarlett. It’s not a coincidence that it so happens one of the lead of Sils Maria also is its current “face.” Maybe that’s why she got the role? Either way, she was acclaimed at Cannes for it, but still, that mere fact that Chanel financed is just shady.

• Ash July 30, 2014 at 19:22 #

Karl Lagerfeld has worked with and has become friendly with Olivier Assayas, the director of Sils Maria, long before Kristen Stewart came into the picture. The producers of the movie had worked with Kristen before in “On the Road” and she was the the first choice by the filmmakers to play Valentine. This was all before she had anything to do with Channel. So NO, Kristen did not get the part because of any connections through Channel, just a happy, glamorous coincidence.

12. Marcel May 23, 2014 at 20:01 #

I like the idea of new and more contemporary silhouettes in Couture and nowadays Karl is one of a very few doing it. However,this particular outfit is lacking brilliance. I would prefer it in an other colour , a vibrant one.
    Interestingly she looks very comfortable in it.

13. admmgz May 23, 2014 at 20:04 #

I think she looks great! :) Yeah, we all would love to see her go super glam in a big gown but this is more her style & I appreciate that she stayed true to herself.

Are we really expecting an ear to ear grin the entire time she’s posing? Idk..she looks happy to me..
    Oh & her hair color is for a movie role in “American Ultra” in case anyone was unsure.

14. Marybeth May 23, 2014 at 20:04 #

She does seem very comfortable, as if she were wearing an exercise outfit gently dipped in glitter.
    Oh, wait! That IS what she’s wearing. ;)

Eh. She looks nice enough.
    I’ve always thought that her simplest looks are the best, so I suppose I can’t complain too much.

• Nat39 May 23, 2014 at 20:44 #

glittery “exercise outfit” – even more accurate. She looks much more comfortable than the super awkward model. She can do better.

• Cherrysoftness May 24, 2014 at 03:41 #

I think so, too. I’m not buying the “true to herself” excuse for this – we’ve seen her in gowns, not with a full skirt but all out embellished, sheer and dramatic, for her Twilight premieres and Snow White premieres. Then for a Cannes premiere, this. In fact we’ve seen her in really dramatic and standout jumpsuits, too – black lace pants and all.

• gabis May 24, 2014 at 14:29 #

Yes, we have seen her in everything you mentioned and yet in most of those she looked pretty uncomfortable and miserable. Plus the fact that she has worn big gowns before doesn’t mean it’s her style. Remember there is a stylist behind all of this choosing and maybe even pushing on her all sorts of outfits and new styles.
          This may not have been the best or bigger choice for a Cannes premiere but at least she looks comfortable and confident on it and that is what makes the difference between looking good on a simple outfit and bad in a big embellished dramatic gown.

15. shontay May 23, 2014 at 20:10 #

I love everything about this and I am no fan of hers at all. Also, I’m so tired of her being criticized about her facial expressions. Just leave her be. I find bad posture more annoying.

• Marina May 24, 2014 at 11:40 #

ITA. Let the girl be, she looks ok and wears it well. I just would like to see her hair up and a different, more inspired pair of heels. And thats my only two complaints.

16. Lola May 23, 2014 at 20:20 #

Boring.Boring and Boring.

She’s a fashion Mess. The girl has no class.

Karl… bad bad choice. I don’t doubt that his next muse’s a kardashian.

17. H May 23, 2014 at 20:29 #

You know what, I love it, suits her personality and for me she looks comfortable. I don’t think she has any boredom here at all since I saw other pictures of her in this red carpet and she is smiling a lot. Love it, perfect for Kristen Stewart.

18. Nat39 May 23, 2014 at 20:32 #

‘Sparkly pyjamas’ – perfect description, hardly anything I’ll remember here. Wish she’d considered doing a little bit more on this occasion. She does look quite nice though.

19. Britta May 23, 2014 at 20:47 #

I love it. It’s beautiful couture. And true to her style! I love when the young girls has their own opinion and goes their own way. We need women with strong minds!

20. arwa May 23, 2014 at 20:53 #

Another case of a beautiful girl her beauty can take us away from the bad clothes she’s wearing.

21. Noemi May 23, 2014 at 20:55 #

Without praise or blame. After all, she doesn’t look bad at all, even if I don’t find this to be couture. She worn beautiful gowns and most of us found her “inappropriate” for them, so I think this is probably a comfortable look for her and it shows.

22. CTgirl May 23, 2014 at 21:12 #

I liked the hair and makeup, I’m indifferent to the ensemble and I laughed watching her toddle around on those ridiculous heels. Sometimes, higher isn’t better. All around about a 4 out of 10.

• rach May 23, 2014 at 21:19 #

She whipped those heels off as quick as she could. She actually walked into the auditorium when,in Cannes it’s filmed and the whole room stands up and watches you enter, applauding, barefoot. She seemingly couldn’t wait two minutes until she was sitting down to slip them off. Not really the done thing in Cannes when there’s quite a strict etiquette.

• beta May 23, 2014 at 21:33 #

Totally agree about the heels. For me more than 4 in high is unwalkable

23. Guest May 23, 2014 at 21:21 #

Stewart pulls the ‘sparkly pyjamas’ look off, which is no surprise as hardly ever does she fail on the red carpet. She looks much better than the model, even though Chanel has become the most overrated fashion house on the planet. Her shoes and hair colour are perfect, but these… roots ( I don’t care if it is ‘in’ these days)and a tacky tattoo spoil the overall impression.Binoche is a beautiful woman and looks very classy.

24. beta May 23, 2014 at 21:31 #

I actually love more than the versacces or cavallis
    But the fabulous one is Juliette Binoche! J’ADORE

25. TL May 23, 2014 at 22:12 #

She looks nice and comfy

26. Carmen May 23, 2014 at 22:13 #

Nice pijamas, same bored face as always.

27. Saree May 23, 2014 at 22:58 #

Points to her for not wearing a gown just because she’s a woman. She’s never been a big gown wearer/princessy girl, so staying true to her style and personality is expected. It’s no different than Tilda’s style, Gaga’s wackiness, Taylor’s princess style or anyone else for that matter.

I’m not her biggest fan, but I really do appreciate it when women don’t conform to the expectations of dressing ‘like a woman’ and what better place to say that, than at Cannes.

• celine caldwell May 24, 2014 at 00:42 #

+10000
      so true!
      what should be judged on this is the fact that she is wearing something that is HER! if she had a gown on, all the above usual snobby trolls, that sit behind their computers under usernames wishing to just touch and fit into a designer garment, would be criticizing her for not dressing like herself!
      the girl can’t win. and if you think chanel made such a mistake in having her be a brand ambassador, do something about it. write to chanel corp and tell them how you feel.

• Jacque May 25, 2014 at 06:38 #

Oh please. People aren’t saying she can’t wear such an outfit — they’re criticizing the fit. If you knew anything about fashion fit and how the material drapes of your body is a thing people look for. If the fit was “to the standards” of whoever is critical I’m sure they’d compliment her. It’s aint’t a “Hate Stewie” moment as much as you want it to be.

28. Valissa May 23, 2014 at 23:49 #

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever liked her in a gown. She just does not wear them well! This is more her style and she looks great…I actually think Chanel suits her. It’s not conventional glamour the way Elie Saab or Valentino is…it’s quirky and risky sometimes and that’s why she’s a good fit IMO

29. maria May 24, 2014 at 00:13 #

i really like this. mostly because she’s got an interesting enough personality and this outfit allows it not only to shine through, but actually complements it and just enhances this certain air that she has. i don’t know if that makes any sense, but that’s how i feel. all in all, a good look.

30. pinksugar May 24, 2014 at 00:44 #

You can wear a gown to Cannes and it not be a ‘ball gown’ which is what I wish she had done here. The look isn’t bad but it’s not Cannes worthy by any means. We’ve seen Kristen shut it down in gowns plenty of times. Never underestimate her ability to bring it when she really wants to .

31. amy May 24, 2014 at 02:55 #

I like it, it’s different and it suits her. not everyone is into big fluffy gowns. her hair is groomed so it’s all fine by me.

32. m May 24, 2014 at 04:23 #

i like it. shes just her and i like her for it. anyone should only live up to their own expectations of themselves, i think some people are getting a little too mean in their comments. dont do unto others what u dont want others to do to u.

33. snowlion May 24, 2014 at 12:57 #

Too busy looking at the beautiful Juliette Binoche to have noticed the dull looking lass in the glittery tracksuit with the bored face next to her, is that who we are meant to be commenting on?

34. marie May 24, 2014 at 18:41 #

Okay, I don’t really like her style but I like how she looks quite comfortable in that.
    The thing is little bit strange, “loose” and “all sparkly” shouldn’t go hand in hand, it looks a little bit ridiculous in my opinion. And I don’t like the shoes with it and I think the color doesn’t look to good with her recent hair color.

And about her face – the make-up is good and my feeling about her expression changed with the years; it used to annoy me, but today it just makes me want to give her big hug.
    Guess I beca,e a much more positive person?

35. Susan May 24, 2014 at 21:00 #

Lovely, lovely look and I think Kristen wore it beautifully.

I agree the Reem Acra 2012 gown was absolutely stunning.

36. Jacque May 25, 2014 at 07:25 #

Why did all my comments get deleted?

• Catherine Kallon May 25, 2014 at 10:17 #

They were yet to approved…it would have said…comment waiting to be moderated.

37. mana May 28, 2014 at 23:06 #

She looks beautiful, to be honest.