Marion Cotillard In Alexander McQueen – amfAR Cinema Against Aids Gala

Marion Cotillard In Alexander McQueen - amfAR Cinema Against Aids Gala

I was shocked to see Marion Cotillard on the red carpet this evening (May 22) for the annual amfAR Cinema Against AIDS gala held at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in Cap d’Antibes, France.

Not shocked at her invitation, but shocked that she didn’t wear Dior.

Instead, she wore an Alexander McQueen Fall 2014 high-neck white-embroidered chiffon gown for the occasion.

Cue collective jaws being picked up off the floor.

The gown clearly needed to be lined, but as a result some of the impact of the embroidery has been lost.

That may explain the overuse of Chopard necklaces.

Love or loathe?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Izabel Goulart In Emilio Pucci - amfAR Cinema Against Aids Gala

Izabel Goulart In Emilio Pucci – amfAR Cinema Against Aids Gala

Aishwarya Rai In Armani Privé -  amfAR Cinema Against Aids Gala

Aishwarya Rai In Armani Privé – amfAR Cinema Against Aids Gala

24 Responses to Marion Cotillard In Alexander McQueen – amfAR Cinema Against Aids Gala

1. Yeliz May 22, 2014 at 19:59 #

I’m not such a big fan of the gown, but this is still her best look during Cannes IMO.

2. jenny May 22, 2014 at 19:59 #

This was a fail, not good at all.
    Why this dress?

3. Marcel May 22, 2014 at 20:00 #

The only McQueen collection that I HATED from the first to the very last look. It is a NO for me, sorry Marion, I still love you nevertheless.

4. Isabella May 22, 2014 at 20:00 #

Much better in the runway. I don’t like her styling.

• Nat39 May 22, 2014 at 23:03 #

Exactly. On the runay it’s actually quite fresh, pretty and romantic. But on Marion it’s just dowdy with those necklaces, grandma style.

5. Mayra May 22, 2014 at 20:06 #

The dress itself isn’t that terrible, but the styling and the alterations makes it look weird.
    For me it’s another miss from Marion. Maybe if she’d kept a bit of the sheerness and the feather hemline, wore her hair up or slicked back, minus the necklaces, the overall effect wouldn’t be so unappealing.

• dee May 22, 2014 at 20:19 #

I agree with your suggestions.

• Noemi May 22, 2014 at 21:11 #

Exactly my thought. All the interesting aspects of the dress are lost. And those necklaces… why?

6. Nat39 May 22, 2014 at 20:06 #

Disappointing. The gown looks boring (esp. when you can’t see the intricate pattern of the embroidery) and does nothing for her, the overload of necklaces is distracting. I want to see something more exciting from her, it’s not that bad, but I’m underwhelmed.

7. Cookie May 22, 2014 at 20:17 #

It’s not as great as when she first appeared (remember the scaly Gaultier she accepted her Oscar in?), but at least it’s not bloody Dior. Actually, come to think of it Marion was always better served by more theatrical designers like Westwood and JPG. She has an eccentric streak we rarely see anymore.

8. gabis May 22, 2014 at 20:19 #

Not wearing Dior but still managing not to look good. Maybe it’s time for a new stylist?

• Mayra May 22, 2014 at 21:06 #

Maybe it’s time to hire one, she doesn’t have a stylist!

9. Robert May 22, 2014 at 20:23 #

This dress is only fit for a halloween costume party not Cannes.

10. Valissa May 22, 2014 at 20:41 #

Great dress on the run runway but clearly it should’ve stayed there! You just can’t line a dress like this and expect to keep it’s appeal. This is exactly what’s happened here…
    Also, why those necklaces? They look ridiculous! She really needs a new stylist!

11. LOLA May 22, 2014 at 20:47 #

Maybe it is a wrong look but she seems like she is enjoying herself when she’s not wearing Dior.

12. Joy May 22, 2014 at 20:47 #

Say what? Totally excited to see her in a McQueen gown, but unfortunately I don’t love this look. I think the white + turtleneck is really unflattering. Honestly, I like the “weird” Dior outfit from a few days ago better. At least that one felt more like her, this feels more like an attempt,t but it didn’t make it there for me.

13. Betelgeuze May 22, 2014 at 20:57 #

I adored the ethereal details on the gown when I saw it on the runway, but sadly none of that charm translated well on Marion. Now it just looks like a frumpy lace boho gown with a turtleneck and unneccesary necklaces.

I wonder how would it look like lined with dark blue…

14. Carrie May 22, 2014 at 21:01 #

Why the necklaces??

15. pinksugar May 22, 2014 at 21:41 #

Loathe. Too frumpy and despise the necklaces.

16. CreoleLady May 22, 2014 at 22:39 #

This look confirms for me that Cotillard is seriously overrated. She gets it right every now and then. But it seems it’s by luck, not design, when she does. This is a no.

17. cherrysoftness May 23, 2014 at 03:01 #

Loathe. SJP granny styling.

18. Alina May 23, 2014 at 06:01 #

TBH, this proves my point: there’s nothing wrong with ‘Marion + Dior’; there’s something wrong with Marion.

19. kane May 23, 2014 at 07:51 #

She hits one or two out of the park and then wears something that says “no no no, honey, I’m still the old fashion-confused me, don’t worry.”

20. marie May 23, 2014 at 19:37 #

One of the worst Alexander McQueen gowns I’ve ever seen! And McQueen is one of my most favorite designers!
    The way she styled it is equally awful, I mean, what’s with those necklaces? In this combination, they look like they want to go back to the 60s real bad…