Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Couture - 'Two Days, One Night'  ('Deux Jours, Une Nuit') Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Marion Cotillard attended the ‘Two Days, One Night’ (Deux Jours, Une Nuit) premiere during the 67th Annual Cannes Film Festival this evening (May 20) in Cannes, France.

*Le sigh*… Where do I start?

While I like that she opted for something funkier and an unexpected choice from Christian Dior’s Spring 2014 Couture collection, I am just not a fan of those shoes. That’s two bad pair of shoes in one day.

The white, tiered dress with a rise-and-fall hemline accented with blue sequin embroidery at the back was a great way to shake up her style, but the shoes lack the finesse to complement the look.

Adding yet more funk-appeal, she styled her hair into a 40s-esque updo, with a Chopard diamond-encrusted necklace completing her look.

From the ankle up, or not at all?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

Amber Heard In Vionnet - 'Two Days, One Night'  ('Deux Jours, Une Nuit') Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Amber Heard In Vionnet – ‘Two Days, One Night’ (‘Deux Jours, Une Nuit’) Cannes Film Festival Premiere

70 Responses to Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Couture – ‘Two Days, One Night’ (‘Deux Jours, Une Nuit’) Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Alina May 20, 2014 at 19:12 #

• chyc May 21, 2014 at 03:18 #

As much as I love Marion, this dress is HIDEOUS! Yes, she looks so much like a bug from the back!

• fashionhistory May 21, 2014 at 08:37 #

This is so awful!!!!
        I had enough to see this kind of dress in such a huge house as Dior….
        Normaly the DNA of this house is to give you dream with a princess style… which didn’t happen since 2 years and half!
        Monsieur Arnault, Why do you keep an artistic director as Raf Simons???
        In the shop, the clothes are unflattering and on the red carpet it is an enormous disaster!
        Please fire him!!!!

2. glyc87 May 20, 2014 at 19:13 #

Oh Marion, sweetie…

• glyc87 May 20, 2014 at 19:17 #

Dear GOD, it even looks like a bug costume from the back.

• Gretta May 20, 2014 at 19:24 #

Exactly what I thought! She looks like a glamourous ladybug.

• Lyo May 21, 2014 at 01:40 #

HA! I went to comment about the ladybug fashion, someone already beat me to it!
          This is tragic…

• Christine May 20, 2014 at 19:58 #

Lol! This is terrible

• liz May 20, 2014 at 20:00 #

lol exactly what I was about to say!

• Rebecca Z May 21, 2014 at 00:03 #

Or a turtle!

3. Mayra May 20, 2014 at 19:16 #

Marion, we’re begging you: hire a stylist!

• Thabiso May 20, 2014 at 20:36 #

She doesn’t have one?! Hahahaha

4. Nat39 May 20, 2014 at 19:17 #

What the hell is this?? Ridiculous dress, tragic footwear – H2T disaster.

• Camille May 20, 2014 at 19:59 #

+1 I can’t stress my total agreement with all that you said enough, there just aren’t words. But yes, you are emphatically and totally right about this horrid horrid look.

• Marcel May 20, 2014 at 20:08 #

I am gasping with horror. If her intention was to cause shock, she certainly got it.

5. Joseph May 20, 2014 at 19:18 #

Those shoes are unforgivable.

The more comfortable Raf gets at Dior, the more uncomfortable the house’s Muses look.

Just abysmal.

6. SilentVisitor May 20, 2014 at 19:20 #

The dress is ugly to begin with. Marion tried her best with such an ugly dress but the shoes are terrible…..just NO

7. dedel May 20, 2014 at 19:21 #

Fire your stylist !!. The shoes kill this beautiful look.

8. Carmen May 20, 2014 at 19:21 #

OMG¡¡ What is this?? I really love her, but this is a BIG NO¡¡

9. Yeliz May 20, 2014 at 19:21 #

Well we knew that she was going to wear Dior, but I didn’t expected it to be THIS bad. That dress is hideous and the shoes are even worse. A big fail from head-to-toe.

10. Charlotte May 20, 2014 at 19:22 #

The hair, the dress and the shoes : awful !

11. Papiki May 20, 2014 at 19:23 #

If only this was Coachella!

12. Laura May 20, 2014 at 19:24 #

Not ever

13. Laura May 20, 2014 at 19:26 #

Horrible

14. Marie May 20, 2014 at 19:28 #

It’s a huge NO for me. I could have forget the bee shaped dress if she had worn the right shoes.
    Thankfully, Robert Pattinson at Le Grand Journal saved the day, he was so charming (and he wasn’t in black!).

15. Anushree May 20, 2014 at 19:31 #

CLUNK CLUNK.

16. adrian May 20, 2014 at 19:31 #

I so want to like this. I think without the shoes I would.

17. Christy May 20, 2014 at 19:33 #

This is not a premiere worthy look, especially at Cannes.

18. Lily May 20, 2014 at 19:35 #

the dress is nice BUT NOT FOR CANNES!
    she is so beautiful and it’s a huge shame. total disaster

19. Maria S. May 20, 2014 at 19:36 #

I was wondering if her contact with Dior is pressuring her to wear their brand for all major events or she simply doesn’t bother with fashion too much. She could have easily become another Cate Blanchett, until Dior ruined her. :(

20. lala May 20, 2014 at 19:36 #

I hate you, Raf Simons! what has he done to Marion?

21. Amy May 20, 2014 at 19:36 #

I’m actually kind of taken aback at how awful this is.

22. from-chitown May 20, 2014 at 19:37 #

Oh no no no!! I did not have high hopes for her cos she was going to wear Dior… but this is beyond bad. And its worse from the back!!

23. Sandy May 20, 2014 at 19:40 #

a huge…WTF!!!

24. Megha May 20, 2014 at 19:53 #

Surely this is some kind of joke that she’s in on?
    Because I can’t imagine any other circumstance that could have led to that dress much less those shoes

25. Nina May 20, 2014 at 19:54 #

People need to stop hating on Dior. This dress is actually quite interesting. I bet if Cate Blanchett was wearing it everybody would love it. It’s the shoes, hair and necklace that ruin it. Having said that there are better looks from the collection to choose from. I just think that all of the spokeswomen of Dior have tragically bad sense of style and lack access to mirrors.

• Tatiana May 20, 2014 at 20:10 #

Well, I don’t think Cate B would wear something so simple (when she takes risks, which is always, she goes crazy with it) and those awful shoes. But Yes, think most of Dior pieces are fantastic and others fine. But they way most of the Dior women wear them, is tragic. They are the problem.

• elena May 20, 2014 at 21:04 #

Tatiana, you can’t say that the dress is simple!! I think Marion is that kind of ladies that is taking risk on the red carpet. At least she is not an Eva Longoria when you know in advance what she will wear!

• Kat May 20, 2014 at 21:33 #

Not even Cate Blanchett could make this dress work. It needs to be someone who can do quirky and high fashion at the same time and that’s pretty rare. Maybe Björk or Tilda Swinton.

• Joy May 20, 2014 at 22:47 #

Thank you Nina! Don’t get me wrong it’s not my favorite look. Obviously. But it is not THAT bad. And it has a lot of fresh aspects that make me not hate it. And I kinda like the shoes, so there.

26. Kat May 20, 2014 at 19:56 #

It’s really hard to come up with suggestions to make this dress work. Different shoes might have mitigated the disaster a bit but I’m not sure it would have really mattered.

27. justme May 20, 2014 at 19:57 #

At what point do we stop blaming Dior and actually start to question Marion’s fashion sense?

• Rachel May 20, 2014 at 20:01 #

Good question. She deserves better.

28. Rachel May 20, 2014 at 20:00 #

I can settle for “Ankle up.” Her beauty radiates nevertheless. The white works with her innocence. She seems to have chosen to go informal (or wants to show off her legs). Both the shorter length and the boots suggest this. Generally, I do wish her contract with Dior could be as rewarding as Blanchett’s contract with Armani is for her.

That said, she’s on her way to winning the Best Actress prize at the festival (regardless of what she wears).

29. liz May 20, 2014 at 20:03 #

someone please start printing “FREE MARION” t-shirts.

I’m sure the money more than makes up for the embarrassment, but her Dior contract is the worst thing that could’ve happened to her fashion-wise.

30. scarlett May 20, 2014 at 20:06 #

Okay the dress isn’t the best, there are so many better option she could have picked but she could have just about got away with it if it weren’t for the shoes. I can’t even believe that’s a conscious decision. I was really hoping she’d deliver tonight. What a shame.
    You can’t really blame Dior either, I mean, it’s fairly clear she has access to all of their collections, I think I’m right in saying she doesn’t have a stylist, maybe she should get one to rein her in a little.

31. Betelgeuze May 20, 2014 at 20:34 #

The second I laid my eyes on this look, I said loudly God Almighty.
    That about sums it up.

32. Carrie May 20, 2014 at 21:07 #

Whoa. Not good.

33. shap_half May 20, 2014 at 21:07 #

She looks like a white nina turtle from the back. What a disaster.

34. Maria May 20, 2014 at 21:34 #

I am such a fan of the Dior dresses with the volume in the back (ODLR does them too), but OMG those shoes are the worst.

35. Eline May 20, 2014 at 21:42 #

I will buy an ice cream from her.

36. Britta May 20, 2014 at 22:12 #

Okay – I might be the only one… But I love this head to toe. It’s fun, funky, edgy – and so much more interesting than most. I totally get it and love it!

• natasha May 20, 2014 at 22:24 #

You’re not the only one! I like it too.
      I think it’s an interesting dress, and yes the styling is very unconventional but she takes risks and I personally kind of like the vibe she’s giving off here. :)

37. anjos May 21, 2014 at 00:35 #

The shoes are not even that bad in other pictures below the post, but they look slightly awkward from some angles. I actually loved the shoes with that other look earlier today, that one was perfect from h2t.

38. kane May 21, 2014 at 00:37 #

I thought the front was pretty bad with those havy booties. And then I saw the back. I have no words.

39. eliza May 21, 2014 at 00:37 #

The thing is though as bad as the shoes are, they are pretty creative. She isn’t being predictable she has a unique style. Its actually exciting to consider what she might wear because you never actually know, she isn’t really like the other dior faces.

40. Prudence May 21, 2014 at 00:51 #

this is eye-wateringly bad. Marion, please end this contract. You + Dior under Raf = nightmare.
    There is nothing her that even interests me, its just ugly.

41. Maria May 21, 2014 at 02:53 #

OMG! How I miss Gallianos’s sexy gowns!Search for marion’s looks in Dior by Raf Simons,there are any spetacular? None! Just ugly dresses and weird clothes! Poor Dior! Poor J. Lawrence! Poor Marion!

42. Rye May 21, 2014 at 03:44 #

This is.. Couture? I didn’t know that couture means hideous. The back parts of the dress made chuckles because of how weird it is.

43. Illumi May 21, 2014 at 03:50 #

Galliano is by far a more gifted and better designer than Raf, it is a shame that they can bring him back to the House of Dior. But Dior PR chooses the worse actresses to represent their brand because they are looking for the most popular ones of the moment. Although French, Marion is as much of a hick as Jennifer Lawrence, and Jennifer is the worse one. Neither wears Dior well, they are not sophisticated and elegant to do justice to those intricate designs. Elegance is innate, you have it or you do not and it reflects in the clothes one wears. Think Audrey Hepburn.

44. lah May 21, 2014 at 04:37 #

while the dress is kind of…meh itself, she could have somewhat saved the look with a different choice of footwear. who told her they looked good with that dress…sigh

45. Fer May 21, 2014 at 06:43 #

Nope. It wasn’t a nightmare. This is real…

Why?.

46. Noemi May 21, 2014 at 08:44 #

1. Marion Cotillard can’t pull off edgy outfit and hairstyles.
    2. The dress, interesting, is difficult to pull off and need great styling. I would
    see Chloe Sevigny wearing this.
    3. Those shoes are for jeans and pants, not for dresses, and not for this
    length.
    4. When I saw the photo I hoped her handsome husband was there, too. At
    least I could have seen “something” beautiful at the side of this fashion
    crime.

• Jones19 May 21, 2014 at 11:43 #

Agreed on all points. When is she gonna realize that she’s a classic beauty that needs to wear beautiful gowns and not this edgy stuff?? It’s so not her!

47. Lee Ann May 21, 2014 at 11:03 #

I spent yesterday at Dior looking at some of the most beautiful dresses for Pre fall that never saw the runway. Why can’t they wear these?

This dress is just wrong

48. theitjournal May 21, 2014 at 19:41 #

I love how you americans see her as a classic beauty but don’t know ANYTHING ABOUT HER and sometimes about fashion. I actually like the style, yes it’s not her best, but most actresses in Cannes put on huge gowns but don’t know a thing about Cannes, this festival is about independent, edgy, unclassic, difference, and indie movies so what better place to wear that ??? you guys think of it as the Met Gala but it’s actually nothing like it ! As a french who knows about fashion and movies her look is on point with her because she comes from underground her rock band, and her career started with indie films and the one that she is promoting is about a girl who got fired and is on the poor side of life so I believe it would be quite inappropriate to show up with a huge Dior gown with christian louboutin shoes and diamonds like ALL AMERICAN ACTRESSES would do !
    To Me it’s on point even though I don’t dig the shoes

• anjos May 21, 2014 at 22:23 #

I’m neither from America, nor France lol, but I have to say I was confused by the comments above calling her ‘classic beauty’, too. I think she is quite offbeat. She looks nice in classic dresses too, but she pulls off weird stuff even better imo.

• Noemi May 22, 2014 at 12:54 #

Cannes maybe once was independent, edgy and different. Now it’s also about glamour, big brands and majors, too. Many celebrities attend and of course this is the best way to showcase couture and jewelry. Bloggers, models, people from the show business are always there and there’re lots of party. L’Oreal and Chopard are major sponsor, so I honestly don’t understand your thought and I’m not trying to be polemic. In some years, Sundance film festival will probably be quite the same, even if Cannes is on the French Riviera and sunny etc etc.
      Plus, Marion Cotillard works both in indie and major productions, but she’s the ambassador of one of the most important luxury brand in the world. I personally don’t find a classic beauty, for what it may means… she’s a beautiful woman, good actress but most of the times I dislike the way she dresses, and this is a blog about fashion.
      I don’t know if she’s a classic beauty or not

• Noemi May 22, 2014 at 12:56 #

I don’t where the last sentence came from… I deleted it…

• justme May 22, 2014 at 17:20 #

It seems like you’re the one who doesn’t know anything about Marion. She gained fame with “Taxi”. It’s a huge blockbuster franchise, she doesn’t come from indie films. Also, her characters both in “Rust and bone” and “The immigrant” had financial problems. Marion still showed up with glamorous Dior gowns and Louboutins at the Cannes premieres. Her movie roles have never dictated her fashion choices.

From a non-American who lives in France lol.