Cate Blanchett In Givenchy - ‘How To Train Your Dragon 2? Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Cate Blanchett attended the Cannes Film Festival premiere for ‘How To Train Your Dragon 2′ this evening (May 16) following the photocall earlier in the day.

The actress wore a Givenchy Fall 2014 gown with an embellished multi-coloured bodice, sheer illusion back and black pleated skirt.

I want to be blown away – I really, really do – and had this been her first look this week I may have been, but had something more ethereal in mind plus I wasn’t a huge fan of this collection.

In short, I like the look, especially the sapphire chandelier Chopard earrings, but I don’t love it.

What say you?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Naomi Watts In Marchesa - ‘How To Train Your Dragon 2′ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Naomi Watts In Marchesa – ‘How To Train Your Dragon 2′ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

America Ferrera In Georges Hobeika Couture - ‘How To Train Your Dragon 2′ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

America Ferrera In Georges Hobeika Couture – ‘How To Train Your Dragon 2′ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

48 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Givenchy – ‘How To Train Your Dragon 2′ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Moxie May 16, 2014 at 19:17 #

Definitely not her best. We should have a poll for just Cate’s looks at Cannes.

• Christine May 16, 2014 at 19:46 #

Yes, that is good idea! Not liking this look. Still blown away by her Armani Prive look.

• Tatiana May 16, 2014 at 20:39 #

God, she just shut everyone else down. How she does it?

• Christine May 16, 2014 at 20:44 #

She does deserve her own poll as I don’t know which looks is better.

• Lisa May 16, 2014 at 21:19 #

So much this.

2. from-chitown May 16, 2014 at 19:19 #

I totally get your point FC. This is a pretty great look – its just not BDOTY worthy. And that is what we have to come to expect of her. Anything short of that is going to be underwhelming for her. Is it premature to say that she will be the Queen of Cannes this year ?

3. shontay May 16, 2014 at 19:19 #

This is my least favorite so far, but she has set the bar so high. It’s an interesting choice and she is beautiful, but I don’t think it’s the best for her figure and the open back just isn’t great. Still on a high from her collective run, though.

4. Alina May 16, 2014 at 19:20 #

Exactly my feelings as well.

5. Yeliz May 16, 2014 at 19:21 #

I totally agree with you Catherine, I’m not blown away either. The gown looks gorgeous on her, styling, hair and makeup are also on point, but I miss the glamour I thought she would give us tonight. I much prefer last night’s jaw-dropping Armani look.

6. Nat39 May 16, 2014 at 19:23 #

I’m not wowed either – odd top that does nothing for her and boring black skirt – not her best.

7. Au Fil d'Isa May 16, 2014 at 19:24 #

You’re right, it pales in comparison of her other looks this week. But perhaps she wanted something a bit more edgy, which I can understand.

8. Pedro May 16, 2014 at 19:25 #

She looks amazing!

The bodice is perfect

9. kane May 16, 2014 at 19:27 #

This certainly is BANG material suitable for a premiere and what a captivating look she has, wow! But this is nothing I will remember at the end of the year… the earlier look however is a different story: it made a more subtle impression but will have more staying power in my book.

10. sophie May 16, 2014 at 19:36 #

I thought yesterday’s Valentino was meh and this is too.

11. Hannah May 16, 2014 at 19:38 #

it’s hard to beat the Armani Prive. But I like this look. Not love it, it’s not breath taking, but still interesting.

12. Marybeth May 16, 2014 at 19:58 #

It’s a very nice look, though the top is a little bit boxy on her and the illusion back is rather gimmicky.
    Her styling and presence make it work, even if it’s nowhere near her best.

• Nat39 May 16, 2014 at 20:02 #

It makes her look boxy, exactly.

13. Denise May 16, 2014 at 20:00 #

If the bodice was fully embellished and she had chosen different earrings I would have totally loved it. As it is, the back seems unfinished.

• Fiona - Perth May 17, 2014 at 01:16 #

Ditto – still love her brave fashion choices though, she could have chosen another safe elegant gown and yet she zigs and zags each time, at least she is interesting.

14. Camille May 16, 2014 at 20:09 #

Okay, I’m going to go against the prevailing opinion and say I really like this. It’s bold and unique and the close ups of her face framed by all that brilliant color are amazing. Her hair and makeup are perfection, just freakin perfect! This colorful bodice and dramatic black chiffon skirt seem a perfect choice for the premiere of a dragon movie. I do agree the back isn’t well done, but overall I think she looks gorgeous, elegant and appropriate for the event.

• Kate May 16, 2014 at 20:33 #

I totally agree! I said “wow” when I saw it. The colors are marvelous, and the material and bodice is different. I’m rather tired of all the lacy, high-neck confections we’ve been seeing. This is a bold change of pace.

• Reece May 16, 2014 at 20:43 #

Yeah, the bodice is amazing and the detail is more.

• EmmaWoodhouse May 16, 2014 at 20:49 #

Agreed! I think it’s a great look for Cate, one that only she could pull off. The intricate, colorful detailing is very rich. The back isn’t working as well but overall it is beautiful. However I was wondering what people were talking about in the comments, mentioning Armani–and I scrolled down and HOLY WOW.

15. Manuel May 16, 2014 at 20:15 #

She looks really good and its a very different dress from the other 3. Blanchett has a remarkable taste and is never boring. I like everything about this dress, but I can’t get the Armani magic out of my head

Her stylist should get a Cannes bonus

• LeeAnn May 16, 2014 at 20:37 #

You took the words right out of my mouth

16. Rizz May 16, 2014 at 20:20 #

The views of the back is yowza!!! The front doesnot hold up to the back! But still fairly good- not very memorable but by not bad by any meaning of the word

17. pinksugar May 16, 2014 at 20:29 #

I totally agree in that had she not already blown us us away so many times this week this look might have impressed me more. It’s pretty, it’s just not Cannes spectacular.

18. dee May 16, 2014 at 20:29 #

I just care for the illusion back. This is not bad.

• dee May 16, 2014 at 21:06 #

I just don’t care.

19. Tatiana May 16, 2014 at 20:39 #

I like this a great deal (she had to wear this dress sometime) as it is different yet glamorous enough for a Cannes premiere. It might not be her best of the week because she has worn some of the best dresses of the year, but she is magnificent in this. BDOTW, lol.

20. Reece May 16, 2014 at 20:42 #

She is having the fashion week of 2014. Wow.

21. Rebecca Z May 16, 2014 at 20:52 #

Far from my favorite of her looks this week. I don’t like the illusion and agree this makes her look thick-waisted.

22. TeaAtTwo May 16, 2014 at 21:14 #

I like the look but the skirt in a colour from the bodice – I think the blue- would have had me really swooning.

23. Kimberley May 16, 2014 at 21:17 #

Lite Bright serve as inspiration? I like it though. Her and her stylist have done a great job so far this trip!

24. Lisa May 16, 2014 at 21:18 #

She is working the hell out of it and her face is otherworldly.

25. Quinn May 16, 2014 at 22:10 #

She’s giving us one BDOTY contender one after another isn’t she? This is not her best but I still think its WOW. All of her looks are different from one another, and each is excellently executed. Bravo! I hope she’ll be there till the end of the festival.

26. Kate May 16, 2014 at 22:20 #

I love this look! It’s not my favorite from her during this festival, but I still think she looks gorgeous. The detail is amazing and I think her styling is spot on.

27. Valissa May 16, 2014 at 23:14 #

It’s the least amazing of her last four looks but that doesn’t make it bad.
    She still looks spectacular! Just not as jaw-dropping as she was in the RL, Valentino and Armani.
    I also quite like this dress…she wears it incredibly well!!

28. Paulina May 16, 2014 at 23:51 #

Too perfect. I was hoping she wore this dress. It is so her.

29. Shiva May 17, 2014 at 00:07 #

I’m blown away, and I don’t usually find Givenchy alluring.
    I’ve been wondering if one could do a ‘WOW’ look in the kind of fashion that’s evolved in these last few years, as opposed to the kind of silhouettes that were popular till then. And I think this is it. Very relevant, very modernistic, and Wow. Just Wow.
    p.s: I’m hoping this one grows on you FC, and jumps up that crucial rung between Like and Love :-)

30. Joy May 17, 2014 at 01:53 #

Not my favorite, but good god they can’t all be BDOTY contenders. Still a beautiful captivating look however.

31. Alissa May 17, 2014 at 03:33 #

The dress is eye catching and dfferent,and it can’t be everyone’s taste but you cannot say she is not trying different things. BDOTW

32. Jess2 May 17, 2014 at 07:05 #

I think Cate wins for best close up here, those head shots are amazing! I like the dress but not from the back. Perfectly styled.

33. HM May 17, 2014 at 10:27 #

I agree that this look isn’t as good as her previous ones but I guess it is event-appropriate. I’m always in awe with one thing about Cate and that she (or her stylist) always seems to take into account the time and place of the event. I’m guessing this look was chosen due to the intricate beading that resembles dragon scales.

• Eva Kant May 18, 2014 at 00:57 #

Yes, the upper part of the dress resembles scales. How thoughtful of her indeed.

34. Angela May 17, 2014 at 10:51 #

I love this look – strong and chic, Cate at her best

35. Eva Kant May 18, 2014 at 00:59 #

The most interesting part of the dress is the back and the beading of course. But for me what it makes this memorable is the way she styled it.

36. Lizzie May 18, 2014 at 07:11 #

Gorgeous. It is not high impact like the others but it is modern and in the theme of the night (dragons).