Catherine AustraliaCatherine Australia 2

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge spent three weeks touring Australia and New Zealand with her family, starting with a Catherine Walker coat dress and ending with a Michael Kors coat dress.

If you are like me, you went into this with absolutely no expectations.

If you were hopeful of her making a bold fashion statement or wearing a pair of shoes outside of her usual navy McQueen, black Prada, nude L.K. Bennett or Stuart Weitzman wedges, then perhaps you are very disappointed – or the word many of you used during this tour: bored.

If you are Australian or a New Zealander, you will have been very much miffed that her choice of local designers was very limited.

All in all, it was a safe, presentable, event-appropriate tour.

The look which stood head-and-shoulders above the rest for me was her yellow Roksanda Ilincic, with her Emilia Wickstead a close second.

Which did you favour?

Credit: Getty

43 thoughts on “Which Was Your Favourite Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge Australia and New Zealand Tour Look?

1. shap_half

I know she has to adopt a more conservative wardrobe given her station in life, but man, she looks the same in every photo.

1. SilentVisitor

She is wearing different outfits but strangely she looks exactly the same.
      The yellow dress gets my vote.

2. Marybeth

The yellow Roksanda Ilincic was my favorite, with the McQueen Easter outfit second. Both of those were lovely and chic.

The biggest disappointment for me was the Lela Rose.
    The dress was a delightful choice but the styling was just plain sad. With a softer updo and lighter accessories, it would have been great.

Needless to say, little Prince George made the best clutch ever!

3. EmmaWoodhouse

Overall, I really enjoyed her looks! Pretty, fresh, even-appropriate. I covet quite a few of the dresses.
    Alexander McQueen at Easter got my final vote.

4. Faellie

Giving her her due, she gave us 21 looks which are event-appropriate, extremely well-fitted and have a good range of colours.

Agreed she has a limited number of shoes. I bet she sticks with the ones which are comfortable: she needs to look after feet on which she is going to be standing around at functions for the next 50 years! The other thing about the shoes is that I suspect fashion-wise we are coming out of a period when extreme bag-and-shoe wardrobes were aspirational and into one in which they will look like the foolish fad they always were.

She’s not a model or actress who can afford to take risks flashing the flesh or laugh off fashion-forward “mistakes” – pictures of any mistakes will follow her to her grave. She will know that, and under that pressure (no-one else in the world has to deal with it at that level and for life) I think does remarkably well. In her circumstances, I think that describing her style as “boring” comes close to bullying.

I bet she pays for everything she wears, too. Even with Royal Family money, a lifetime of paying for event clothes at the rate she needs them will be impossible if she goes high-fashion couture on a regular basis.

1. dee

I disagree. I think you can find comfortable yet fashionable shoes. She could at least try some colorful shoes. Also, no one is asking her to wear flash her skin, the latest designs or wear fashion-forward clothes. She can look conservative, event-appropriate and stylish. Other royals do it. I don’t think it’s bullying (that word is getting over-used these days) to critique someone’s attire. I think we all see potential for her and would be delighted to see something different.

2. H

Well said Faellie! I get really sick of everyone having a go just because Catherine recycles outfits or wears sensible shoes. I find it refreshing to have a role model to relate to – personally I have no interest in dressing like Rihanna or Rita Ora so to see someone dressing like a lady is really inspiring.

1. dee

There’s nothing wrong with recycling outfits or wearing sensible shoes. It would be refreshing if she’d try to style her garments differently. Nobody is saying to dress like Rihanna or Rita Ora. I don’t usually care for their looks but there is happy medium. I personally like her ladylike clothes and that is similar to my style. I just think it would nice to wear a metallic pump or red pump for example to giver her outfits some punch. We critique everyone’s choices on here and she isn’t above criticism.

1. Lee Ann

Dee-Well said-to describe calling her style boring as bulying is just plain sad. I am a banker and do not have her budget and need to dress very quietly and work appropriate . I am 20 years older. I have restrictions an sem to be able to dress better. The shoes she wears are hideous-wearing 6 inch wedges on a beach or platform LK Bennetts are not sensible shoe choices and the latter shoes are nothing but a fad which is over by the way. I dress like a lady and am far more inspiring than she is. Why do people think that there are only 2 ways to dress Lady or whore?
          Also this is a fashion blog where people get to write their opinion. I wouldn’t mind the fact that she recycles dresses if the dresses were interesting in the first place.
          I thought this whole tour was bland and dull.

Bullying -give me a break.

1. Kathy

Let me ask you this: are you photographed on a daily basis, no matter where you go? Do you have to adhere to the de facto dress code of the royal family? Do you risk being chided by the Queen of England (who has already called out the Duchess once on the issue of her hemline)? My point is, you really can’t say you would dress much better/more fashion-forward if you were in her place, given the constant scrutiny she’s under.

1. Tatiana

And what is your argument to all the others princesses and queens that dress more interestingly and more appropiated (no wardrobe malfunctions) than her? It is just Kate that wants to dress like this and if she likes it, fine. But we also can comment on it.

2. Lee Ann

Sorry but I can and yes I do dress better-its the styling that lets her down. Furthermore thee are other royal princesses that dress so much better-and sorry the red dress blowing up and almost showing the Royal nether reason is unforgivable.

2. Valerie

ITA. You can wear a ladylike coat dress in soft hues with a nice hat and an appropriate hemline, and look modern at the same time. Just google QUEEN (yes, a queen, even more restrictions!) Mathilde of Belgium in Dior. She looks beautiful and deals with the same, if not more, restrictions as Kate.

3. gallegamdq

I think is not in anyone’s intention to bully the duchess of cambridge here. We are talking about the fashion, not the person. In my particular case, I´m bored because the shape of her outfits is exactly the same in every photo. Is she allowed to wear pants?

1. Jessica

She does wear pants. She wore them on at least one day of this tour. Why it’s not included in the above montage is beyond me, but she was wearing pants when they were sailboat racing.

4. Kathy

I agree that it’s borderline bullying (though I hesitate to use that word) to pick on the Duchess’s sartorial choices over and over, given that most people can’t relate to her role/circumstances. I’d rather she dress “safe” (and not all that different from other royals, despite what people like to think) than have to constantly be concerned about what the media is saying about her clothes–territory that naturally comes with being a fashion risk-taker.

1. Tara

I think the problem is the makeup- because Kate always wears the same makeup she looks the same no matter what she wears.I think the reason she always wears the dark eyeliner is to make her small eyes look bigger by drawing outside the line.

5. Tatiana

Bullying??????? Please, EVERYONE feautured in this blog is critize for their clothing choices (anyone from celebrities to royals as Kate)So no, no one is bullying her at all. And she has wore mostly high fashion clothes (bespoke or customed made for her) mostly, for that you last pont is invalid.

5. Yeliz

1. Alexander McQueen – Easter Sunday Service
    2. Lela Rose – Governor General Peter Cosgrove Reception
    3. Roksanda Ilincic – Sydney Opera House
    4. Emilia Wickstead – Palm Sunday Service
    5. Zimmermann – Sydney Royal Easter Show

6. Sophy

I am sure you mean the yellow Roksanda Illinic- cannot absolutely cannot be that muddy one- :)
    My favourite is the Michael Kors coat but I dislike the hat- so its not a good outfit overall, I like the casual dresses – the white and the DVF, am so glad you did not feature her skin tight jeggings which are entirely inappropriate for a Duchess!!

7. Sophy

On second viewing I quite hate the McQueen Easter outfit- looks like something from Dynasty and not in a good way- how does beige clutch and shoes go with a grey coat and an even darker silly grey hat!!

8. TL

Event appropriate, classy, but all look the same tour.
    However, I like the Alexander McQueen on Easter Sunday Service and L.K. Bennett at Airforce Base look.

9. Kathy

My favorites were the black Jenny Packham dress at the State Reception (love the shoulder detailing), the yellow Roksanda Ilincic number at the Sydney Opera House, and the green Catherine Walker outfit at the Portrait Gallery. I thoroughly enjoyed this tour. I don’t really care that the Duchess is conservative, that’s her job. It’s not up to her to dole out high-fashion ensembles, nor should we expect her to.

10. Tara

Wish they could be grouped by coats,suits,formal dresses,cocktail and casual dresses.
    Don’t understand the logic to the hats- I can understand for church but she wears a hat with the coat for 1 memorial service and not with the blue McQueen coat for another memorial ?? Also hat to land in NewZealand but no hat to land in Australia- I think Australia got shafted – is it not as important???

11. lin

I like the dove grey McQueen the best because everything in the outfit goes perfectly together, especially the hat which I love. I like the darker grey frillier hat with the lighter grey really plain coat, plus the accessories were just right for a change. My second pick would be the pink McQueen she wore when she came to Adelaide.

12. Cat

I loved the LK Bennett dress and the Roksanda Illinic, and the McQueen coats. I understan Catherine’s lack of freedom to be avant garde in her fashion choices, but she certainly can pull off modern pieces, remember the printed Prabal Gurung dress? She’s always event appropriate and very pretty, but with minimal tweaks (more modern shoes, a less harsh eyeliner and slightly shorter haircut) she would look fantastic.

13. Cat

Oh, I forgot to add that Catherine has the ideal body type to wear flowy pantsuits, and palazzo type pants. She´d look fantastic in them!

14. Camille

It’s hard to pick a favorite when they are all so much alike. Nice, but nothing really stands out and the styling is equally dull. It’s a crying shame really, she’s YOUNG, beautiful and could wear anything, and yet, I can look at each picture and imagine her mother or even mother in law wearing the exact same thing because everything from this tour was so MATURE. Seriously, think of any 50+ woman and imagine them in these looks and with the exception of the lacy day dresses (Zimmerma & LK Bennett looks) I can easily see a much older woman wearing the same thing! It’s a shame she can’t dress a bit more youthful and with a bit more fun and flare. I don’t have a favorite look from this tour. They were all staid and safe and far too mature for such a lovely young lady.

15. fatima

I loathe the way she holds her clutch with both hands in front of her waist. It’s one thing to pose like that, but she even walks that way.

That said, she is such a waste of potential. She could wear the most elegant and fabulous clothes and shoes, but she chooses this.

16. Lila

Heavens this is a boring picture set. Yet I still think she was consistently better dressed here than she has been any other time. There were a few duds and nothing great but a lot of very pretty clothes with more diversity in style and color.

I voted for the blue Stella McCartney. As someone around her age, I think it was the most youthful dress she wore on this tour. I really liked the yellow Roksanda Illincic as well but I think the sleeves were too long. A lot of the other dresses had potential but the styling failed them. She can keep the boring shoes if she will just find a hair stylist that can get her hair out of her face when she’s going to be in the wind without aging her.

17. Guest

Such a shame she has to wear all these conservative clothes, etc. She looks the same in every coat and in every dress, unless it’s an evening dress. It doesn’t change the fact that she looks perfect in everything. Why wouldn’t she, with a body that most women can only dream of?