24.04.14

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Catherine Walker – Portrait Gallery Visit

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Catherine Walker - Portrait Gallery Visit

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attended a reception at Parliament House and visited the Portrait Gallery on Thursday (April 24) in Canberra, Australia.

The Duchess opted for a coat dress again, this time from British designer Catherine Walker.

Her beautiful emerald-green belted piece, which appears to be a bespoke version of two looks which appear on Catherine Walker’s website, was of course styled with her favourite nude L.K. Bennett ‘Sledge’ pumps along with some complementary emerald earrings.

I know many of you have been totally unimpressed with Catherine during this tour. There have been a lot of coat dresses, so how does this one fare?

Credit: Catherine Walker & Getty

Sami Gayle In Diane von Furstenberg - 'Locke' New York Premiere

Sami Gayle In Diane von Furstenberg – ‘Locke’ New York Premiere

Zhang Ziyi In Carolina Herrera - 2014 Beijing International Film Festival Closing Ceremony

Zhang Ziyi In Carolina Herrera – 2014 Beijing International Film Festival Closing Ceremony

17 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Catherine Walker – Portrait Gallery Visit

1. Charlotte April 24, 2014 at 11:01 #

I like the color. The styling is uninspired as usual.

2. BrittaB April 24, 2014 at 11:13 #

I’m crazy about that colour. So good for her!

3. Sanya April 24, 2014 at 11:16 #

Deja vu. A big one.

4. Alina April 24, 2014 at 11:18 #

The green version of the coat with a nice top underneath and a chic updo… why not that?

• Yeliz April 24, 2014 at 11:39 #

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Lee Ann April 24, 2014 at 12:40 #

Yup me too.

• Iva April 24, 2014 at 15:27 #

5. Christine April 24, 2014 at 11:31 #

The coat is gorgeous! I like this look

6. Joy April 24, 2014 at 11:52 #

For me it’s too similar to the other green coat/dress she wore. If only it was another color… Not that I don’t love the color, but you can’t wear two bright green coat/dress looks and expect them to not look the same.

7. kane April 24, 2014 at 13:08 #

Great colour, but I can’t just get over the coat being all zipped up so boringly, meh.

8. dee April 24, 2014 at 13:29 #

Great coat but the styling is a snooze.

9. Rebecca Z April 24, 2014 at 15:43 #

She does look fabulous in this color. I agree with Alina–she could have done the design with the wavy open top with a blouse underneath and been more fashionable and decorous all at the same time.

10. Lili C April 24, 2014 at 19:12 #

Beautiful color… This is the way she dresses so I found it impressive ´cause she´s always impeccable. That´s her style.

11. Cate April 24, 2014 at 23:53 #

The Catherine Walker dress was no doubt chosen/designed well in advance and in expectation of what is usually cold weather in Canberra at this time of year, and of an itinerary that included outdoor as well as indoor engagements. As it turned out the weather was warmer than it usually is, but it still only reached a maximum of around 16 degrees Celsius, and her outdoor visit/event was early in the day where it only reached 13 degrees. A blouse would have been pretty, but stupidly impractical.

In addition, the Queen laid down the law on how she is expected to dress in advance of the tour – http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/02/03/kate-middleton-skirts_n_4718628.html (although throughout the tour there hasn’t been a tiara in sight, thankfully!).
    In a practical and considerate sense, throughout the tour, she would have had to keep accessories simple and be quite conscious of some of the people that she would meeting – for example, there is no way that you want your outfit and accessories choices distracting attention from your meeting with children at a palliative care home for little kids with terminal illnesses.

Give the girl a break, this is a work trip … she has spent many hours standing, shaking hands, sitting through speeches, holding a glass and managing finger food at formal receptions, hopping in and out of cars and receiving gifts from the crowds. She has to dress for comfort, respect and appropriateness and the outfit and accessories have to last all day across numerous events. Despite the media and critics trying to make it so, it ain’t no red carpet or fashion show.

So, expected weather conditions + the Queen’s recent wardrobe dictate + expected meeting with carers, people suffering terminal conditions and those challenged with profound physical and mental disabilities = choice of outfit and accessories above.

• Revital April 26, 2014 at 09:38 #

I totally agree with you, I was going to write the same comment when I spotted yours.
      Catherine is not a celebrity like the actresses and models that fill up this wonderful blog’s pages…
      She has a very distinctive style and she is true to it, she is not expected to WOW , she is expected to look formal and well dressed and whithin the limits she was given I think she did a marvelous job.
      She is the classic type, and as though it might be boring to see her dressed in the same type of cloths I think that she managed to create a few unconventional looks during this tour and still look respectable and regal.

12. Markness April 25, 2014 at 02:37 #

Somebody throw her shoes so she will be forced to buy new ones. Can’t Nicholas Kirkwood or Kurt Geiger give her discounts or something?

I love the color but I wish she went with the runway green one. I like the collar on that coat dress on the left.

• snowlion April 25, 2014 at 12:20 #