22.04.14

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Hobbs – Uluru

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Hobbs - Uluru

Following her Roksanda Ilincic look earlier in the day, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge changed for a romantic stroll around the base of Uluru with Prince William, Duke of Cambridge on Tuesday (April 22) in Ayers Rock, Australia.

The Duchess recycled her Hobbs fit-and-flare ’50s-inspired grey and white dress, styling it with a white woven belt, espadrille wedges and the beaded necklace she was presented with while walking around the base.

I know many of you are so very bored with her looks, but despite their repetitiveness they have at least been event appropriate, and this is a perfect example.

If you are waiting for her to wow you, I would advise that you don’t hold your breath.

Credit: Getty

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - Queen Elizabeth II's Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Queen Elizabeth II’s Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - Playford Civic Centre

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Playford Civic Centre

35 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Hobbs – Uluru

1. Alina April 22, 2014 at 11:48 #

A low ponytail would have saved this for me.

2. Christine April 22, 2014 at 11:50 #

Ha! Agreed. Which is why I stopped holding my breath in being wowed by her.

The dress is nice

3. K April 22, 2014 at 11:57 #

I don’t really know what more you expect of her. She’s a member of the Royal Family and being a fashion girl isn’t her priority, nor is it to please bloggers.

She looks perfectly appropriate, fresh, elegant and approachable. People complain if she sometimes recycles/doesn’t wear pop colours, funky hats, snazzy shoes – but people would also complain if she did all that (remember the old “having fun with the tax payer’s money” lines in any given newspaper comment sections?).

I personally believe she personifies casual, easy elegance and looks great. She never sought out to be a fashion girl/icon and I’m glad she sticks to her guns.

• Hannah April 22, 2014 at 12:06 #

This exactly what I wanted to say too!

• Marcel April 22, 2014 at 14:22 #

Those shoes are UNACEPTABLE.

• Marcel April 22, 2014 at 14:23 #

sorry, i didnt mean to answer to your comment

• revital April 22, 2014 at 15:47 #

totally agree!

4. Zara April 22, 2014 at 11:57 #

I love that the Duchess recycles outfits but I wished she would accessorise and style the dress differently so that it’s not an EXACT repeat.

• CreoleLady April 22, 2014 at 14:51 #

+1000! If she wears a recycled look EXACTLY the way she wore it before, why even bother featuring the look again on this web site? Oops, wait, just noticed the red necklace, so it is not “exactly” the same — to give credit where credit is due, this is a huge change in accessorizing for Kate, lol.

• dee April 23, 2014 at 20:28 #

I agree. I think the garments themselves are nice on her but it’s her styling that is a let down.

5. Maryjo April 22, 2014 at 13:02 #

I dont understand why she recycles her $50 putfuts and not the expensive designer ones? Also why not wear this tio the fair and the pretty white dress for this event where we have Diana’s iconic image ina white dress.This dress is way too casual.

6. Stephanie April 22, 2014 at 14:11 #

What’s amazing is that yes, her looks are boring, but they still manage to sell out in minutes!

People are buying what she’s selling and that boggles my mind.

7. Yeliz April 22, 2014 at 14:13 #

I’m not expecting to be wowed by her and I agree, she always dresses event appropriate but sadly most of her looks tend to be boring. On this occassion she looks very lovely, I like this dress.

8. Marcel April 22, 2014 at 14:24 #

Horrid shoes , as always. Unacceptable for a young member of royalty.

9. dada April 22, 2014 at 14:59 #

actually, its still not an appropriate dress. its quite short, and yes there is a protocol that do not allow royal women to wear sandals. what i don’t like is how she always copy Princess Diana. Her mother in law wears the same color when she visited the dame place.

10. Amanda April 22, 2014 at 15:54 #

She is so boring!! Imagine how much better she could dress with the money and access she has!!

11. Prudence April 22, 2014 at 16:32 #

THE EFFING SHOES.
    I must be blind cause all that talk some of you are making about her being the epitome of class and ELEGANCE, I do not see it at all. I not only despise the way she dresses/her hair but I hate the way she carries herself, she needs to straighten up and stand tall, SHE IS A DAMN ROYAL FOR GODS SAKE.

• kane April 22, 2014 at 17:15 #

Breath in, breath out. No-one’s really gushing over this, so calm down.

• kane April 22, 2014 at 17:21 #

(and when will kane, whose mother tongue isn’t English, finally learn that breath is the noun and breathe the verb?)

• LeeAnn April 22, 2014 at 18:04 #

Prudence, thank you so much for saying this. I was beginning to think I had lostmy mind because I was the subject of such childish e mails for saying I thought she wore bad clothing. She is a royal . I see better dressed girls on the tube. I get conservative clothes . I dress very classically . I like her silhouette and tend to wear the same cut but my god I wouldn’t be caught dead in any of her shoes, her makeup is too harsh and can she have a little bit of fun with accessories. And yes please stand tall and straight.

• Nat April 22, 2014 at 19:58 #

I seriously think the Palace allowance is not that good that is why she buy zaras and topshops clothes and repeat the expensive ones. She probably even have money to buy new shoes. She is repeating the same 5 pairs over and over again since she got married. She has absolutely no style at all and in my opinion even the Queen dresses better than she. Even a god damn manicure she does.

12. kane April 22, 2014 at 17:16 #

I have to say I don’t particularly care for this. The dress is fine, if not great, but the styling I find rather baffling.

13. Sophy April 22, 2014 at 17:37 #

This dress is not appropriate at all- it looks likes she is going to play tennis!!!

14. Camille April 22, 2014 at 17:47 #

“Sigh” She’s just okay. She’s either not really into fashion, or she’s just so limited due to restrictions and yes, budget (she’s careful to recycle and not appear to spend a fortune on her clothes) that this is as good as it’s going to get.

It’s a shame because she is young, beautiful and has a lovely trim figure. There are other royal ladies who dress within protocol restrictions and still manage to look stylish. Catherine manages to be truly boring, bordering on matronly. I have to wonder about her ‘team’ and whether its a group of little old ladies on loan from Queen Elizabeth.

While she is careful never to offend, on the whole her style for this tour has been uniformly dull and boring. I think it is telling that once Diana and Charles split, Diana’s style markedly improved, which leads me to think the royal style police must be largely responsible for all these 3/4 length sleeves, below the knee hems, boring prints, and boring shoes. It’s a shame.

• Leeann April 22, 2014 at 21:09 #

The only constraints she has is to wear British. Prince Charles pays for her clothing so money is not a problem. Sloaney women on the whole have no style. When I went to events at my daughter’s boarding school- the Russians and French women used to roll their eyes at their lack of style .

15. Camille April 22, 2014 at 17:50 #

Sorry, regarding this particular dress, it is nice to see her arms and knees for a change on this tour. And while not heinous, it’s pretty dull.

16. blossom April 22, 2014 at 19:47 #

How come the Duke and Duchess never hold hands in public. Are they not allowed to due to protocol? I love the way the Obamas are so cute and show affection in public.

17. Jade April 22, 2014 at 22:01 #

Why are we basically attacking someone just because they probably does not like fashion. Not everyone loves to relish in having a new she every month.And on the issue of her not wearing expensive clothing i think its admirable for someone who has money to wear low end clothing

• Silvia April 23, 2014 at 01:16 #

I agree, the Duchess is obviously not very serious about fashion, I feel there’s no point in constantly criticizing someone who is not as interested in the same things as we are.

• Tatiana April 23, 2014 at 01:16 #

This is a fashion blog, so everyone is going to criticize her clothes choice. Secondly, I don’t know what is admirable about her (and actually none is picking her on that, it is not a matter of how expensive is her clothes, she just does not has style. Which is fine I guess bu againt everyone can criticize her on that. No biggie, we do that to every single person posted in this site) as the majority of the clothes she wears is bespoke or from famous designers which are expensive, so no she is not frugal actually, quite the contrary she spends a lot in clothes in the same style and shops frequently (she is shopping almost everyday and it is well documented). If you want someone frugal about their clothes, look for the Queen or the Princess Royal.

P.S: Sorry, but I have to say this.

• Jade April 23, 2014 at 01:41 #

No need to apologize.I am not saying you don’t have a right to criticize her clothing.But i have seen people getting to the point of calling her ugly and that is just hurtful. Critiquing fashion does not have to come to that.

• Lee Ann April 23, 2014 at 12:32 #

Well said. And for someone who apparently does not like clothes she spends a lot of time in clothes stores.

• Lee Ann April 23, 2014 at 12:37 #

Sorry meant to reply to Tatiana not Jade.
          Having said that I have never read anyone on this site call her ugly-her clothes perhaps ( I think some of her choices especially in the shoe department hideous) but never her.
          This is a Fashion blog , people should be allowed to say what they like about the clothing and accessory choices of the wearer if they are in the public eye.

• Charlotte April 23, 2014 at 01:23 #

If she is not interested in fashion, then why she is photographed shopping constantly doing that?

I agree with Tatiana and I think no one is saying something that they don’t say to other celebrities or royals featured here. It is just and opinion of what she is wearing and I don’t think she is immune to criticism, otherwise what is the point of these posts than to talk about fashion. ,)

18. No no no April 23, 2014 at 23:24 #

We can’t really say she is not interested in fashion! She has appeared on so many best-dressed lists, she has worn some really breath-taking gowns, and, as somebody said, whatever she wears sells out in minutes. But I do think she is not interested in fashion as a means of expressing a personal identity. For her, fashion is a tool, a mechanism she uses in order to send messages different than what fashion aficionados want to send when they dress every day. Rather than “I’m different, original, cool” she wants to say “I’m a kind, thoughtful, soft-natured mother.” In her daily appearances, especially in this tour, she toes a fine line between not blending in, but also not standing out too much. May be this is another way to look at fashion that shouldn’t be missing from this fantastic fashion blog!