20.04.14

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Easter Sunday Service

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - Easter Sunday Service

Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attended Easter Sunday service at St Andrew’s Cathedral on Sunday (April 20) in Sydney, Australia.

This is the one I was waiting for and Catherine didn’t let me down, looking very elegant, wearing a dove-grey funnel neck coat with structured shoulders and dress by Alexander McQueen styled with a Jane Taylor hat in a slightly darker hue.

Cream LK Bennett ‘Harper’ suede pumps and a matching Alexander McQueen clutch sans the brands signature skull clasp completed her look.

At first I was slightly disappointed by the fact that the colour was considerably more muted that I had anticipated, but I was totally swept away by the regal elegance of this look.

Credit: Getty

Angelababy's Delpozo Floral-Print Silk-Gazar Dress

Angelababy’s Delpozo Floral-Print Silk-Gazar Dress

Leighton Meester In Emporio Armani - 'Life Partners' Tribeca Film Festival

Leighton Meester In Emporio Armani – ‘Life Partners’ Tribeca Film Festival

47 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Easter Sunday Service

1. Leeann April 20, 2014 at 22:20 #

The coat is beautiful in colour but it is so not McQueen despitewhat the label says. The hat is just hideous as are the shoes . God I want to take this woman shopping.

• Michele April 20, 2014 at 22:23 #

A bit harsh. Not sure what shoes you expect a Royal to wear to church? The shoes are fine and she looks lovely.

• Leeann April 20, 2014 at 22:35 #

How about shoes that work with the outfit.

• Maryjo April 21, 2014 at 01:05 #

I could deal with the coat (worst coat I have seen her wear even if it is Alexander McQueen)in that non colour but then the stupid looking hat in a different shade and then beige shoes n clutch???? Why beige ?why not grey or back or even blue- that beige clutch looks so odd with the grey coat.

• Gemma April 21, 2014 at 01:22 #

ITA. She’s at Church for goodness sake. What else should she be wearing? she honestly looks so elegant/regal.

• Prudence April 21, 2014 at 03:39 #

Are sandals not allowed into the church?? This woman’s style is terribly overrated. We have been trained to expect the minimum and therefore when she wears something decent we think its great.

• Lorena April 21, 2014 at 22:48 #

Finally someone with a brain who speaks what many think, Kate Middleton is soooo overrated. IMO she lacks style, she’s not beautiful, has bad skin , she’s just hyped because of who she married. End of…..

• david April 22, 2014 at 23:19 #

That just hateful!

• Elizabeth April 22, 2014 at 23:21 #

What has she done to you!

• helene April 22, 2014 at 13:24 #

thank you Prudence.. finally

• Jessica April 21, 2014 at 01:34 #

How is it not McQueen? If you think this isn’t McQueen, you aren’t very familiar with the label. Not every garment they put out is extravagant and loud.

Honestly, I wouldn’t wish a shopping trip with you on my worst enemy, let alone Catherine. If these comments are any indication, I would feel sorry for anyone who has that displeasure.

• Jessica April 21, 2014 at 01:58 #

You aren’t very familiar with McQueen, then.

• Lee Ann April 21, 2014 at 14:09 #

Yes you are right I only went to his shows when he was alive I don’t follow Burton’s work and I miss Lee’s work. If you want to learn more about the design iam referring to and see his work up close go to Isabella Blow’s exhibit at Somerset House.

• tuftufwang April 22, 2014 at 20:07 #

I completely agree with you Jessica. Some posters are just mean-spirited, argumentative, opinionated, and think they are better than others just because they have attended McQueen shows. I’m neutral towards Catherine – sometimes she looks great, sometimes she can be better. But I don’t see the need to crucify her for what she wears or doesn’t wear.

• LeeAnn April 23, 2014 at 12:50 #

This is a fashion blog . The point is to have an opinion whether positive or not about style. If someone mistakenly accuses me of not knowing abMe queen I think it is quite justified to present my credentials.
          Just because you do not agree with a poster is no reason for personal attacks especially when you do not know who you are attacking.

If you can not tolerate negative comments stick to Hello magazine.

BUT to me on this trip she was boring dull and an unimaginative dresser and that is unacceptable when appearing in the public eye.

• Nat April 21, 2014 at 02:14 #

Did you all notice that she doesn`t do her nails? A princess who doesn`t have a manicure how shocking

• Catherine Kallon April 21, 2014 at 08:29 #

Hi Leeann,

This coat is was actually on sale at McQueen but sold out a while ago.

Here is a link to the coat on farfetch.com

• Lee Ann April 21, 2014 at 14:01 #

I know the label says McQueen -but it is avery safe version. Designers often use in house staff to design parts of their collection – Marc Jacobs was notorious for doing this at his label – all the designers do. The neckline and shoulders are McQueen but the bodice is not.

• chisyelda April 21, 2014 at 17:41 #

Safe version…it’s the commercial version. Not everyone could pull off the intricate designs models wear on the runway.. The label is still a business, they need people to actually buy their clothes, who would wear the crazy designs in real life except people who work in the artistic/fashion industry?

• Lee Ann April 21, 2014 at 19:05 #

By safe I meant commercial.not all runway looks are tricky nor do they make it to the runway. I’m not suggesting she turn into Daphne Guiness by the way. I personally wish she would wear more interesting shoes and get rid of the heavy liner

• beta April 24, 2014 at 18:33 #

Lol
      +1 on the shopping

2. alvaro_spain April 20, 2014 at 22:27 #

Much better than usual, but still not liking the shoes.

3. Christine April 20, 2014 at 22:42 #

She looks nice

4. Marcel April 20, 2014 at 22:44 #

BOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG….
    and sooooooo predictable.

5. Yeliz April 20, 2014 at 23:28 #

Very regal and chic.

6. Jasmine April 20, 2014 at 23:47 #

Classy and perfect for the occasion. She’s at church and she’s not doing any sort of reading so she doesn’t need a Look At Me outfit. And unless every picture is zooming in just at the shoes, they don’t bother me.

7. kimberley April 20, 2014 at 23:58 #

Yawn…. Jacket is beautifully tailored but no it doesn’t look like McQueen…A little colour would have gone a long way.

• Prudence April 21, 2014 at 03:40 #

preach

8. Marybeth April 21, 2014 at 02:00 #

Every once in a while the duchess nails it — and, for me at least, this is one of those times.
    I absolutely love it.
    This is so chic, but not the least bit flashy; so regal, but not the least bit stuffy. Pitch perfect.

• Alina April 21, 2014 at 07:13 #

I agree.

• Dean April 21, 2014 at 12:10 #

ITA She looks so regal and chic. I love the hat and the monotone.

9. Dhppy April 21, 2014 at 02:10 #

Yea! Home frickin’ run! I’m finally feeling the McQueen in a Burton creation for her. It’s lovely! The hat is wonderful, too.

• Lorena April 21, 2014 at 22:45 #

Boooorrring.

10. chyc April 21, 2014 at 02:48 #

Love this look! She looks so regal and chic as other posters have commented.

11. kane April 21, 2014 at 12:19 #

I wouldn’t have minded some sort of ornamentation or embellishment to give her a bit more around the hips. This is a bit too long, simple and shapeless for me, but she looks very well put together.

12. EmmaWoodhouse April 21, 2014 at 13:09 #

Super elegant and sleek! I love it!

13. amy April 21, 2014 at 16:08 #

she looks great. she rarely misses the mark when wearing McQueen. very elegant

14. pinksugar April 21, 2014 at 16:37 #

Love, love, love this. She looks every inch a royal ‘princess’.

15. Anne Gallagher April 21, 2014 at 20:01 #

She looks so beautiful! The perfect outfit for the occasion.

16. tuftufwang April 21, 2014 at 20:28 #

I think a lot of her harsher critics are forgetting that when you are royalty, you are supposed to adhere to a very high level of dress decorum that does not apply to the rest of celebrities, politicians, etc. The British monarchy is very old so she’s doing her very best to be respectful to traditions while also trying to balance her own sense of style (what she really wants to wear). She has a hell lot of challenge here representing the monarchy, the Queen, the country, her family and herself. Yes, it is a tad boring compared to the Vogue-like fashion spread we are used to seeing but I respect her for always looking appropriately dressed and impeccably elegant. She has a lot of limitations when it comes to dress so why don’t we cut her some slack here?

• Lee Ann April 21, 2014 at 20:40 #

The Princess of Spain and the Queen of Jordan to name a few have the same or if not even more restrictions but succeed.

• Savannah April 21, 2014 at 23:15 #

The Queen is really tired of Duchess Kate dressing like a college girl in short shirts and cheap jewelry. The Queen has ordered her personal dresser to attend to Kate so that Kate will wear more age-appropriate and royal-appropriate clothes, starting with Kate and William’s upcoming tour to Australia and New Zealand-From an article on dailymail

• LeeAnn April 23, 2014 at 12:54 #

Savannah: I think also importantly she needs to wear weighted hems and tit tape. It is not royal decorum to disembark from a plane and unintentionally show your upper thigh because of a gust of wind, nor lean over and show boob. Royal decorum does not mean be dowdy.

• tuftufwang April 22, 2014 at 20:08 #

I’m sure you are an expert on dressing royalty and the decorum they need to observe. What a great point you are making.

17. Lorena April 21, 2014 at 22:43 #

I agree all of Kate’s McQueen dresses and outfits worn have been awfully BOOrRRRRIIIIIG! I also HATED the stiff looking cardboard wedding dress Kate wore, designed by Sarah Burton of McQueen, the royal wedding dress was a terrible faded department store looking knockoff of the beautiful dress Princess Grace wore for her wedding. Kate’s dress didn’t come close to capturing the elegance and beauty of Grace Kelly’s dress. Sarah Burton IMO does not have the panache or talent of McQueen.

18. Joy April 22, 2014 at 00:30 #

I do not get why people dislike her so much? Seriously, what do you people want her to wear? She’s her own person. Saying she should dress like this or that person just isn’t fair. I love that she has her favorite designers and that she re-wears many looks.

I love everything about her style. I even love that it’s a bit boring and stuffy. I think she is the epitome of timeless style. I absolutely love this look. Yes Sarah Burton could not hold a candle to Alexander McQueen, but absolutely nobody could. She does a great job carrying on the line, nobody could fill his shoes better.

19. olivia April 22, 2014 at 14:47 #

she looks old, her skin looks bad and her make-up! the color is not for her. somehow this reminds me of the coat her mother wore on her wedding. i know Kate should follow protocols etc. but she is also failing on that part. she always wore clothes that too short or dresses that can easily blow by the wind.