10.04.14

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Jenny Packham – State Reception

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Jenny Packham - State Reception

Following the Blenheim War Memorial, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William, Duke of Cambridge attended a state reception held at Government House on Thursday evening (April 9) in Wellington, New Zealand where the Duke unveiled a portrait of the Queen.

Catherine opted for a custom LBD from her other favourite British designer: Jenny Packham.

The fitted dress with a swing skirt was accented with a glittering fern on her shoulder to represent New Zealand’s national emblem for a charming touch.

Black pumps and a black clutch completed her look, while she opted to wear her hair down this evening following a rare ponytail earlier in the day.

Credit: Getty

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - Queen Elizabeth II's Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Queen Elizabeth II’s Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Erdem - Rainbow Place Children's Hospice Visit

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Erdem – Rainbow Place Children’s Hospice Visit

27 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Jenny Packham – State Reception

1. elena April 10, 2014 at 11:00 #

What a boring look!!! Can she change sometimes? at least the hair style?

2. mumu April 10, 2014 at 11:06 #

I think she looks really nice

• Mandy April 10, 2014 at 14:51 #

Me too. And speaking as a Kiwi I love her nod to our silver fern.

3. Fiona-Brasil April 10, 2014 at 11:10 #

Perfection!Lovely dress…

4. dedel April 10, 2014 at 11:16 #

I like the dress but that’s too long. And I would have loved a hairdo with this look.

5. Christine April 10, 2014 at 11:28 #

She looks ok

6. kane April 10, 2014 at 12:08 #

I can get on board with the dress (even despite the length), but matching it with a black clutch and black pumps is a crime.

7. jeremyrain April 10, 2014 at 12:16 #

I think being the Duchess’s stylist is the most difficult styling job out there. Obviously with the internet, Catherine is under a lot of scrutiny about how expensive/affordable her clothes are. Her style is to look approachable, demure- not glamorous like a movie star. Plus, she maybe trying to avoid the pitfall of her deceased mother-in-law where Diana’s celebrity status annoy the Royals thus lead to the tragic personal life.

• Rebecca Z April 10, 2014 at 16:45 #

I agree–impossible job. Neither the countess nor the stylist can win.

That said, there’s something off about this dress–the neckline and embellishment overemphasize her shoulders and then her slim hips just add to the effect. I would have preferred for the embellishment to be more central or a different shape for the skirt of the dress that offers some counterbalance.

• Grace Patricia April 12, 2014 at 22:40 #

I think it’s difficult, not impossible to dress in a more interesting way and yet being appropriate, also trying to avoid unnecessary luxury. Her Zara necklace is an example of an “on a budget sytling” that is interesting to look at.

8. Neli April 10, 2014 at 12:42 #

Pretty but boring.

• Sleepless in Chicago April 11, 2014 at 05:11 #

Agreed.

9. d April 10, 2014 at 13:05 #

:) kiwis will love this

10. Dolly April 10, 2014 at 13:31 #

Almost not worth posting about really. Same old. What I don’t get is that she has her own personal hair dresser with her at all times, yet all we ever really see is the same hair style with the rare up do. I would ask for my money back

11. dee April 10, 2014 at 13:47 #

She looks dowdy.

12. Chaufforest April 10, 2014 at 14:18 #

Boring. Can you be any more boring. I dont even look at pics from her naymore. Even the late princess Diana had more umph..

13. CreoleLady April 10, 2014 at 14:21 #

Having shoes that are comfortable and supportive is a fashion “do” when ceremonies mean lots of standing around. Much as her shoes bore me, I have to give her a pass as she could do worse. At least they are heels. On a positive note, I like the silver at the shoulder and of course her hair is her crowning glory.

• Camille April 10, 2014 at 15:45 #

I agree CreoleLady. I just wish she would have chosen a comfortable pair of silver pumps, as they would have livened up so many of her outfits so far. A quality, comfortable pair of silver pumps would have been amazing with this dress and with the red coat dress and the baby blue McQueen coatdress. Of course a coordinating clutch would have been needed, but I’m super bored with the plain black pumps.

• dee April 10, 2014 at 15:48 #

I agree. You can find comfortable yet stylish looking shoes. Silver would have been a better choice.

14. Alex April 10, 2014 at 14:38 #

I like the dress. Not one of my favorites from her but she is at a state reception so its appropriate. I’m pretty sure I read that the Queen requested her dresses be longer in length and that she had a say in her wardrobe. I think a lot of people forget who she is representing sometimes. If it were shorter then people would complain it was to short. She dresses to the occasion as a member of the royal family.

15. Alina April 10, 2014 at 18:25 #

Hair up and silver shoes.

• Yeliz April 10, 2014 at 20:05 #

Definitely.

16. amy April 10, 2014 at 20:26 #

I like the neckline of the dress but the length makes it look dowdy. and the black pumps aren’t helping. she can do way better (like the Prabal dress)

17. Tina April 10, 2014 at 20:36 #

This look is officially boring. One of the most boring ones I’ve seen her ever wear.

18. Pedro April 11, 2014 at 15:19 #

I really miss her fashion moments!

She look pretty and boring.

19. Dhppy April 11, 2014 at 19:53 #

It’s okay. I like the shoulder detail… but these longer hem lengths are going to make me cry!