07.04.14

The Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge Tour Australia And New Zealand - Day 1

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and Prince George of Cambridge arrived at Wellington Airport’s military terminal for the start of their tour on Monday (April 7) in Wellington, New Zealand.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are on a three-week tour of Australia and New Zealand, which is the first official trip overseas with their son, Prince George of Cambridge. Let’s hope it’s a three-week fashion parade we can get excited about.

Well, she started off on the right foot, because in spite of the long-haul flight from London with a delayed arrival time due to stormy conditions, Catherine looked radiant and regal wearing a red regimental double-breasted Catherine Walker dress and coat ensemble with metallic buttons, which she styled with a matching Gina Foster pillbox hat to top off her scarlet attire.

The Queen’s diamond-and-platinum silver-fern brooch was a special touch to complete her ensemble.

Do you regard this as a great start or are you wary of giving her praise just yet, with 21 days of the tour to go?

Credit: Getty

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - Queen Elizabeth II's Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Queen Elizabeth II’s Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Tory Burch - Plunkett's Parents' Group

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Tory Burch – Plunkett’s Parents’ Group

36 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Catherine Walker – Wellington Airport Arrival

1. Yeliz April 7, 2014 at 12:33 #

I don’t like the metallic buttons on Catherine’s coat and the rest of the look is boring. Little Prince George steals the spotlight IMO, he is adorable.

• Alina April 7, 2014 at 17:45 #

I agree.

2. Christine April 7, 2014 at 12:37 #

This is a great way to kick off the tour. She looks regal! Baby George is so chubby and cute. Aww

3. Lee Ann April 7, 2014 at 12:45 #

Aside from the fact that she looks like she is moonlighting as a Virgin Atlantic stewardess-The pill box hat is a step in the right direction.

• Lee Ann April 7, 2014 at 12:52 #

I do wish she had chosen a more sophisticated shoe-the black jars with the metallic buttons.

• Denise April 7, 2014 at 12:59 #

She should have worn something more fitted that wouldn’t have been blown away by the wind. And yes, she reminds me of a stewardess too !!

• Noemi April 7, 2014 at 13:08 #

I agree, she looks like a chic stewardess.

• kane April 7, 2014 at 13:27 #

I really dislike the buttons, and now can’t unsee the stewardess connection. Thanks, Lee Ann, hehe!

• justme April 7, 2014 at 14:44 #

LOL

• Sleepless in Chicago April 8, 2014 at 03:16 #

A somewhat boring, derivative, and ultimately underwhelming look. It reminds of a stewardess’s outfit as well it looks like the outfit Diana wore 30 ago. Looking at how she struggled with holding the blowing coat and a baby, reminded me of what I read about queen Elisabeth II a while ago. To avoid these hard to manage fly away situations, she has small weights sown into the skirts and coats. How ingenious! The duchess of Cambridge should have followed the queen’s idea.

4. Joy April 7, 2014 at 12:59 #

Baby George steals the spotlight, he is so cute! I like this look. I don’t love the shoes, I don’t expect her to wear anything besides a standard heel but I don’t like the suede choice. I’m not feeling the pillbox had either. However, I love the red on the Duchess. The coat is very beautiful and right in line with her classic elegant style.

5. Marcel April 7, 2014 at 13:19 #

I may be in the minority here and I am fine with it. I don’t like anything about her look. Nothing,from those horrendous shoes to the ridiculous pillbox hat , not forgetting the terrible make up. By good fortune she is carrying an adorable baby.

6. Fatima April 7, 2014 at 13:22 #

Her hair blowing in her face is anything but regal, as is the skirt being blown up by the wind. This is the fourth time this has happened, and all at airports. Not praiseworthy at all.

• Sleepless in Chicago April 8, 2014 at 03:18 #

She should have chosen either a narrower fitting outfit, or had the small weights sown into her coat to keep it from flying away. BTW, this is what queen Elisabeth II does. Very smart, indeed!

7. EmmaWoodhouse April 7, 2014 at 13:24 #

I love the coat and pillbox! The brooch is a nice tough, very elegant. Shoes are disappointing and I wish her hair was pulled back more but the wind is somewhat to blame there. Overall a great look! George is ADORABLE.

8. d April 7, 2014 at 13:33 #

beautiful! nice touch of the new zealand fern brooch!!

• Lee Ann April 7, 2014 at 13:51 #

The broach is beautiful I do which she had placed it higher and further from the buttons-who helps her dress??? These are simple mistakes that shouldn’t be made

• d April 7, 2014 at 14:04 #

i agree with you but i think in this case her happiness is the best accessory :) i ll forgive her about the small mistakes :)

• Sleepless in Chicago April 8, 2014 at 03:20 #

The brooch should have been higher and the baby should have have been dressed warmer. It looks really strange that his mom is wearing a coat but he does not even have his legs covered and is wearing a cardigan, not a jacket or a coat.

• dee April 7, 2014 at 17:23 #

I agree. I was thinking that too. The brooch should have been pinner higher and further from the buttons.

• dee April 7, 2014 at 17:24 #

*pinned.

9. dee April 7, 2014 at 14:14 #

I like the coat and brooch. The hat is OK and the shoes are nice but boring. I don’t really expect her to change up her style so I am not really excited about this tour.

• Sleepless in Chicago April 8, 2014 at 03:23 #

Looking at the outfits she has been wearing, I do feel that her style is quite boring and lacks uniqueness. How many pillbox hats do we need to see? And no one could wear those better that Jackie O – ever!

10. Pedro April 7, 2014 at 14:34 #

She looks gorgeous! I really love it

11. amy April 7, 2014 at 14:48 #

each part of this outfit is fine but alltogether she ends up looking like an airline stewardess. I don’t know about this. not impressed

12. Betelgeuze April 7, 2014 at 14:51 #

The coat is a (stereo)typical Catherine look with a nice addition via the brooch, but the hat made me stop for a while. A pillowbox hat. I think only three types of people could ever wear such a hat in this century: royalty, airline stevardesses and Barbra Streissand.

13. Neli April 7, 2014 at 15:10 #

George <3
    Jus ok look.

14. Grace Patricia April 7, 2014 at 15:13 #

Awwwwwwwww!!!
    Baby George is soo cute!
    Her look is way too boring, the only remarkable thing about this look is that red is great on her skin. Other than this, for me, there’s nothing (talking about fashion) to expect from this trip.

15. pinksugar April 7, 2014 at 15:59 #

This is the perfect way to kick off the tour. I love the fit, color, and buttons of the coat. She looks regal and lovely as always. And George is the perfect little accessory!

• admmgz April 7, 2014 at 19:55 #

16. Laura April 7, 2014 at 16:34 #

I never like anything she wears (or almost anything)…not sure why. She never looks modern nor chic. Plus there is something I always wonder about her: is she wearing nude tights? coz there is always something weird about her legs…

17. Camille April 7, 2014 at 19:12 #

I always feel I have to cut her some slack because she does have to dress within certain restrictions. I am really really bored with the whole coat dress look, it seems like all she ever wears are coat dresses. Hopefully the weather will warm up and we can see her in something different for a change.

That being said, I love her in this color. I wish her shoes had been silver pumps instead of boring black. She’s a lovely young woman who sadly has to dress a little mumsy, but within that construct this is a very pretty look for her. Of course her best accessory is her darling baby boy!! He’s sooo cute and looks like his handsome Father :)

18. Dhppy April 7, 2014 at 20:00 #

It’s okay but ,Catherine Walker? Pillbox hat? The stodgy influence of the higher ups is going to make her look even more boring. She needs a stylist who can keep the Queen happy yet make her look like a contemporary royal.

19. Poppy April 8, 2014 at 10:31 #

I think she looks great, and the colour is vibrant. Being a New Zealander, I watched the footage of her coming off the plane. She was a pro in the way she carried herself as it was incredibly windy, pso to avoid her skirt flying up while wearing heels and carrying an active baby is pretty impressive. Plus, the silver fern was a personalised touch to New Zealand’s culture which added to her ensemble.

20. Lauren April 8, 2014 at 12:00 #

Thank you so much for mentioning who created Kate’s pillbox, very rarely does the Millinery get properly acknowledged and the Milliner credited for their work.

21. Anne Gallagher April 12, 2014 at 05:19 #

A very regal look. The one thing I wish the Duchess would think about is to watch the full skirts. Her skirts always seem to billow around her.