17.03.14

RIP L’Wren Scott

L'Wren Scott

I was very sad to discover the news that L’Wren Scott had passed away this morning (March 17) in New York City.

Just earlier today I was looking through Style.com and wondering where her Fall 2014 collection was when researching the Julianna Margulies post, so this comes as a devastating shock.

Back in December last year at the British Fashion Awards I shared a joke with her about her being the only woman in the room taller than me, so I can’t believe that such a beautiful and talented woman is no longer with us.

We have seen some wonderful red carpet moments from the designer; just last year, Nicole Kidman wowed us in Cannes. Other big fans of her work include Allison Williams, Sarah Jessica Parker, Penelope Cruz, Ellen Barkin and Christina Hendricks.

Only time will tell if the brand with continue.

May she rest in peace.

Credit: Getty

Alessandra Ambrosio's Frame Denim 'Le Skinny de Jeanne' Distressed Skinny Jeans

Alessandra Ambrosio’s Frame Denim ‘Le Skinny de Jeanne’ Distressed Skinny Jeans

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Hobbs -  St Patrick's Day Parade

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Hobbs – St Patrick’s Day Parade

40 Responses to RIP L’Wren Scott

1. shontay March 17, 2014 at 17:54 #

Very surprised and sad to hear the news. She was one of my favorite designers. RIP.

• Fiona-Brasil March 17, 2014 at 20:19 #

RIP.Very sad!

• dee March 18, 2014 at 15:44 #

Agreed, very sad.

2. Beth Rodrigues March 17, 2014 at 17:55 #

Her designs gave women grace, beauty and a wonderful femininity..she will be missed.

3. Derreck March 17, 2014 at 17:56 #

I was so hurt and saddened to hear this!

I always appreciated her work and also how she embraced her height. Plus, she did a **wonderful** job as Nicole Kidman’s stylist.

Rest in Peace, L’Wren.

4. Fatima March 17, 2014 at 17:57 #

So deeply tragic. Such a talented woman, I can’t imagine what haunted her to commit suicide.

5. smolls March 17, 2014 at 17:59 #

RIP. What a sad day to lose such a wonderful & talented designer. May her soul finally be at peace.

6. Christine March 17, 2014 at 18:03 #

RIP. So sad!! In shock

7. aya March 17, 2014 at 18:03 #

Just heartbroken upon hearing this news. She was a graceful, talented and strong woman. May she rest in peace. A sad, sad day for all x

8. sara March 17, 2014 at 18:04 #

It is such sad news. I loved her silhouettes and how graceful she was able to make women look. I can’t wrap my head around how disturbed she must have been…So sad and I hope she is now in peace.

9. Marybeth March 17, 2014 at 18:04 #

Such sad, sad news.

• Marybeth March 17, 2014 at 18:13 #

I’m so glad you posted Nicole Kidman’s Cannes look as a tribute, FC! I remember many great L’Wren Scott moments over the years, but that one is my all-time favorite.

What a terrible loss.

10. Lee Ann March 17, 2014 at 18:31 #

I saw her at the Dior show and we smiled at each other as we walked by because we were the two tallest women in the room. She was chic, serene and very elegant. The world is a bit less chic with her not here. rIP

11. SilentVisitor March 17, 2014 at 18:35 #

RIP L’Wren Scott

12. Carrie March 17, 2014 at 18:37 #

So so tragic and sad. RIP.

13. Joy March 17, 2014 at 18:43 #

So sad, rest in peace L’Wren Scott. Nicole Kidman wore so many great looks from her. I can’t think of her designs without picturing them on Nicole. May her lovely clothing line live on.

14. Lee Ann March 17, 2014 at 18:54 #

I don’t think the brand will continue as it had no external funding.

15. Valissa March 17, 2014 at 19:10 #

I’m shocked and saddened. I always like her designs and loved the work she did with Nicole! May she rest in peace

• Camille March 17, 2014 at 19:26 #

My thoughts exactly. She had a unique design style that flattered and enhanced women’s bodies. She will be missed.

16. CreoleLady March 17, 2014 at 19:18 #

Terrible news. Hard to reconcile with the vibrant woman in this picture.

17. Aline March 17, 2014 at 19:33 #

I’m so shocked and saddened by this news :( She was one of my favorite designers and just so very talented.

May God comfort her loved ones and give them strength to go through these trying times. L’Wren will be missed and her amazing work will be always remembered. RIP.

18. Yeliz March 17, 2014 at 19:54 #

I’ve heard the news here on this site and I’m still shocked. The saddest thing about it is, that it is suicide and not a natural death cause. May she rest in peace. She and her work will be missed.

19. cameron March 17, 2014 at 20:26 #

She has the Midas touch. An exquisite talent.

20. CTgirl March 17, 2014 at 20:36 #

RIP Ms. Scott.

21. EmmaWoodhouse March 17, 2014 at 20:47 #

Terribly saddened and shocked by this news–God rest her soul. She had so much talent and many beautiful pieces.

22. Tracy L March 17, 2014 at 21:50 #

Catherine, I appreciate your heartfelt and classy post about Ms. Scott. So tragic that this has happened, and so tragic all the speculation etc that is already in the news. What a society we live in.

• Catherine Kallon March 18, 2014 at 08:55 #

Thank you. The thing that I find shocking is that now she’s “the girlfriend of Mick Jagger”, forgetting that she was accomplished in her own right.

23. kevinappears March 18, 2014 at 00:18 #

It was such a shock!! But I feel so angry at the same time because in quite a few death news she was only described as “Rolling Stone’s Jagger’s girlfriend”. She was such a talented and successful designer in the fashion industry and she deserves true respects! RIP L’Wren Scott.

• Jazz March 18, 2014 at 00:59 #

I AGREE! I was furious that it was like “Mick Jagger’s girlfriend found..”etc. Like, what the hell, this quite famous, talented designer and her boyfriend is her only claim to fame?!

• Jones19 March 18, 2014 at 10:30 #

UGH completely agree, she was a star in her own right!

24. Anne Gallagher March 18, 2014 at 01:21 #

How sad. My condolences to those who knew her. She was such a talent and will be missed.

25. Argentina March 18, 2014 at 02:09 #

Can’t believe this. Such a talented woman. On friday one of Argentinas top designer passed away and I yet couldnt get over it. My condolences.

26. Tatiana March 18, 2014 at 04:09 #

She is me of my favorite designers so this comes as a shocked to me. May she rest in peace. A remarkable woman in every way possible.

27. Alina March 18, 2014 at 05:36 #

Heard the news this morning and I was shocked. May she rest in peace!

28. Noemi March 18, 2014 at 09:17 #

May she find peace, it’s so sad that such a talented woman is no longer with us.

29. Jess2 March 18, 2014 at 10:51 #

Very sad news indeed, she was so talented and a very lovely person I’m sure. A lovely memory you have of her Catherine! She will be deeply missed.

I feel the same as some other posters in regards to her being referred to only as ‘Mick Jagger’s girlfriend’ – she was so much more than that. A very difficult time for him though, the Stones had just arrived here in Perth but I am glad he is heading back now. Thoughts and prayers for all of her family and friends.

30. Markness March 18, 2014 at 13:44 #

I think it’s only the tabloid that refer to her as Mick’s girlfriend. But to the fashion industry where she excelled and worked hard until everyone respected her, she is an amzing designer. she is a well disciplined one and did not resort to flesh baring clothes to sell. I read some articles about her and they were all sharing how she was passionate about what she’s doing and loves being challenged and loves people who love the industry. It’s a big loss. I wish her brand will continue. We have lost an amazing talent.

It’s great that you have a memory that you will cherish with her, Catherine. I pray for her family and friends.

• sara March 18, 2014 at 19:37 #

I agree… It is particularly unfortunate that this is how she is being described when she made several statements during the course of their relationship as to how much she did NOT want to have that title as “Jagger’s GF”… she wanted to be recognized for her own success and talents. Whatever her reasons were, she deserves to be remembered by the name she chose and for her talents and skill.

31. NG March 19, 2014 at 14:50 #

It’s hard to believe in such a tragedy. L’Wren Scott was a perfect designer.

32. JCJohnsong March 23, 2014 at 20:12 #

This is my first time posting … and although I know it’s been almost a week since L’Wren Scott passed away and this thread hasn’t had any new posts in several days I wanted to add a few words even if I am coming in a bit late.

I am in the age group of L’Wren Scott and studied advertising design years ago at F.I.T. (Fashion Institute of Technology) in the Fashion District of Manhattan so I was surrounded by fashion during my college years.

L’Wren Scott’s 2013 Oscar gown for Nicole Mary Kidman with the black sequins and gold accents made me think of a wet mermaid glistening in the sun when I first saw it … with so much elegance and regal beauty. Now that’s a real ‘mermaid’ gown done in a breathtaking classiness that only L’Wren Scott could have given it.

Her designs flattered and enhanced women’s bodies … giving the wearer a wonderful feminine elegance. Her fashion designs did not have to bare flesh to catch eyes and hold them when she competed for attention on red carpets with the best designers in the world. She could cover up so much of a women and yet at the same time REVEAL MORE of the true feminine beauty of women.

It is hard to describe. She would show virtually no flesh (by todays standards anyway) and yet REVEALED more femininity with everything she covered up. Just the right cut, just the right color, just the perfect fabric and texture. Her fashions had such and elegant classy and tasteful way about them (even a priest could take a good long look at a woman in a L’Wren Scott gown and enjoy God’s creation without feeling bad).

She captured the glamor and class of old time Hollywood and yet her designs always seemed contemporary. You never felt like you were looking at an old gown that had been taken out of storage … but always a fresh take on the old classics.

Her gowns never competed with the celebrity who was wearing them for attention. L’Wren’s designs were all about putting ALL the attention on the person wearing the clothes (not taking the attention away and grabbing it for themselves). It was never ‘so and so’ was wearing a breathtakingly fabulous gown last night it was always … didn’t ‘so and so’ look breathtakingly fabulous last night. They were stunning perfection because the gown brought out all their best features and took your attention away from all that was not perfect.

I say this as a compliment to her brilliant tallent … for it is much harder to do what she did then to grab all the attention with a design the screams LOOK AT ME (NOT look at the woman who is wearing me). It may seem like a subtle difference but it takes a much greater talent to do the latter, I feel … and L’Wren was that kind of rare talent.

I have heard that at Stones concerts she liked to sit with the lighting people. From what I know about the art of lighting for the stage it doesn’t surprise me. Much like a brilliant LIGHTING designer on Broadway … The average person doesn’t come out of the theater after seeing their work saying “the lighting was brilliant” they say “the acting was dramatic and emotional”, “the scenery was breathtaking”, “the costumes were stunning” “the story was emotional and moving” … BUT they often do not realize how much everything seemed So MUCH MORE than what it really was BECAUSE of the brilliant work of the LIGHTING DESIGNER.

All those elegant graceful feminine beauties inside a L’Wren gown … seemed MORE than what they really were BECAUSE of the brilliant talented work of FASHION DESIGNER L’Wren Scott.

These days this world needs more people like L’Wren Scott, not less. Very sad…
    Joanne J