17.03.14

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Hobbs – St Patrick’s Day Parade

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Hobbs -  St Patrick's Day Parade

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attended the St Patrick’s Day parade at Mons Barracks on Monday (March 17) in Aldershot, England with Prince William, Duke of Cambridge to visit the 1st Battalion Irish Guards to present the traditional sprigs of shamrocks to the officers and guardsmen of the regiment.

They say it’s not easy wearing green, but Catherine, aka Kate Middleton, stepped out donning the colour from head to toe.

Taking a break from the Emilia Wickstead coat she’s worn to this event for the past two years, Catherine chose the pine-green Hobbs ‘Persephone’ double-breasted trench on this occasion.

She styled the look with a Gina Foster hat, Cartier shamrock brooch, green suede pumps and a green clutch.

Should she have broken up the green with brown perhaps, like she did in 2012, or does this head-to-toe showing work for you?

I have to say it is the best of the three and even deserves a spot on the BDOTW list.

0213-3022-9037L00-1767_01_470_505

You can buy Catherine’s Hobbs Persephone Trench from Hobbs.

Credit: Getty

RIP L'Wren Scott

RIP L’Wren Scott

Must-Have Monday

Must-Have Monday

31 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Hobbs – St Patrick’s Day Parade

1. Christine March 17, 2014 at 18:16 #

She looks nice and all but this reminds me of a uniform.

• Elaine2 March 18, 2014 at 01:06 #

Well, I think that is what the dear Duchess is striving for – a uniform.

2. LeeAnn March 17, 2014 at 18:22 #

The coat is nice enough but the belt isn’t working for me when paired with the green shoes. She looks likes beanstalk.

3. Martha March 17, 2014 at 18:29 #

Really basic look, nothing specail about it, i don’t really get the fastination with this girl. Her style is sooo boring.

• Godiva March 17, 2014 at 23:21 #

I agree Martha. I find her looks to be very basic and too literal. I don’t know what is so fashion forward about her LITERALLY wearing green, nothing but green, head to toe.

I wish she would have tried to have her own interpretation of it and add some flare instead of overdoing it.

• Elaine2 March 18, 2014 at 01:05 #

Yeah, the head-to-toe GREEN is so cliche. Totally agree with you.

• Kathy March 18, 2014 at 23:25 #

I doubt that her aim here (or at any appearance, really) was to be fashion-forward…the appeal of her style is that it’s surprisingly accessible for a duchess’s. She mixes high-end and high-street pieces, which is why so many women emulate her. It’s not necessarily about innovation or art, it’s about looking classy & put-together. I don’t think being a fashion icon and dressing in a “basic” manner are mutually exclusive.

4. Joy March 17, 2014 at 18:39 #

I really love her, and I like this look a lot. She looks beautiful in green. She is the epitome of class. But the coat’s cut does remind me of something we’d find the Queen herself wearing. Not sure if that’s good or bad, just saying.

• Lauren March 17, 2014 at 19:21 #

I don’t think she is classsy, she has good stylists. If you see how she used to dress when she wasn’t part of the royal family pff

• Elaine2 March 18, 2014 at 01:04 #

She is NOT the epitome of class. She’s torn between wanting to wear something fun and stylish, dealing with the dress code of the Royals, and her own personal tastes.

• Joy March 18, 2014 at 18:37 #

You know what they say about opinions…everyones got one. For me, she always looks classy. And I’m not talking about when she was in college because that’s not fair. As you stated,

“She’s torn between wanting to wear something fun and stylish, dealing with the dress code of the Royals, and her own personal tastes.”

Balancing all that and still coming out ahead, well that’s class.

5. LeeAnn March 17, 2014 at 18:40 #

The coat is ok but I don’t care for the green kid leather belt with the green suede shoes and dark green black clutch. She looks like a beanstalk. This woman is just so dull.

6. LeeAnn March 17, 2014 at 18:42 #

Peter Pan called he wants his clothes back.

7. arang March 17, 2014 at 18:45 #

She looks great here! The blue-ish green and the military style are good choices for her (and the occasion). Though the shamrock “corsage” is a bit weedy looking. Ah well, traditions.

8. Sophy March 17, 2014 at 19:46 #

I completely disagree – I think her first appearance at this event was her best- this is just OK- its too much dull green- not a fun green like emerald- the coat is boring too.Def not BDOTW worthy unless its a really slow week

9. Yeliz March 17, 2014 at 19:58 #

I loved last year’s look the most. This is also nice, but I’m not really loving it.

10. pinksugar March 17, 2014 at 22:46 #

It looks a bit too similar to what she’s done in year’s past to excite me. She still looks so classy and beautiful though. Her hair alone should win an award.

• Elaine2 March 18, 2014 at 01:01 #

Please, no. Hair doesn’t warrant the award.

11. Inge March 18, 2014 at 00:48 #

I hate this look .The coat is too long for her. And i don’t like the hat. Kates style is boring.

• Elaine2 March 18, 2014 at 01:02 #

Kate has to be cringing herself over the length of this coat. Just saying…………

12. Elaine2 March 18, 2014 at 00:59 #

Oh please, no………this is not worthy of Best of The Week. Good heavens!

The coat is all kinds of wrong. The sleeves are too short, the bodice makes her look flat chested, and the belt with all the buttons is a complete nightmare. What’s with all these belted coats, Duchess?

The hat, on it’s own I wouldn’t mind it. In fact, it wasn’t half bad with the plaid coat at Christmas time…….but with this particular coat? NO.

Ultimately, she needs a new fashion stylist, if she wants to be known for her fashion. This current situation just doesn’t warrant the attention of this fashion site.

• Godiva March 18, 2014 at 01:27 #

Please let it not be BOTW. I always appreciated Mrs. Obama’s fashion sense (or rather the stylists that she has) but seeing Catherine makes me appreciate it even more. She is about 20 years younger than Michelle but dresses so matronly. I know that there are probably dress codes she needs to adhere to but she dresses like a senior citizen, a non-chic one at that. Also, I notice that she doesn’t wear any patterns, everything seems to be one BLOCK of color.

Maybe I am being too harsh, but if I had all of these designers at my disposal and it was my job to be an ambassador and look good, I would hope that it would be executed better than this. I don’t know… maybe it is just the allure of the royals that people are loving.

• Lila March 18, 2014 at 03:56 #

I disagree. Part of what I appreciate so much about this site is the breadth of coverage and range of celebrities. My only complaint has much less to do with this site and more with her coverage in general- I wish the media would stop referring to her as any kind of style icon. She is classically stylish but when everything she wears, and this outfit is a great example, could be worn equally as elegantly or frequently better by pretty much any princess in Europe and a large portion of the world’s celebrities, it is not iconic style.

13. Lila March 18, 2014 at 02:21 #

This look is classic Kate. To me, it’s a lot of beautiful pieces put together in the most boring way possible. The coat in particular is gorgeous but there is just too much green. I wish she had kept the coat and shoes and gone for navy with the rest. Even her favorite accent color, brown, would have worked.

I also wonder what the point of the beautiful brooch was. It’s covered up in most every picture by either her hair or the clover sprigs. It’s just a waste of a stunning piece.

14. Alina March 18, 2014 at 05:31 #

This is a big NO for me.

15. Elena March 18, 2014 at 07:51 #

It’s so boring, the coat is too long , the shoes shoudn’t have been green, the hat could have been of her gran mother, the hairs are always and always the same…. And what is this piece of grass on her coat?!

16. Amy March 18, 2014 at 15:11 #

all green for st-Patrick? how ground-breaking.
    she looks okay but certainly not BDOTW- worthy

17. dee March 18, 2014 at 15:46 #

The coat and shoes are nice but this is predictable from her and quite boring.

18. Dhppy March 18, 2014 at 20:55 #

Unfortunately, I am a little bit bored. I preferred the first of her green coat looks.

19. Giada March 19, 2014 at 13:34 #

You can look classy and yet still take a bit of a risk with fashion, but she somehow equals classy and formal with matronly and boring. Her day dresses are especially atrocious, like her stylist borrowed them from Nancy Reagan’s fashion archive. Princess Laetitia from Spain and princess Mary from Denmark dress a lot more inspiring and modern.

20. Sleepless in Chicago April 8, 2014 at 03:27 #

Uninspiring and way too much green!