04.03.14 Menswear

Oscars 2014 & Vanity Fair Party Menswear Red Carpet Roundup

Oscars menThe Oscars 2014 on Sunday (March 2), and the ensuing soirees, were a fashion feast for the senses, with high-wattage gowns swishing at every glam turn. But the men provided plenty of eye candy, as well, as they suited up in their sartorial best for the stylish super-event at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, California followed by the Vanity Fair Oscar Party.

Matthew McConaughey: The ‘Dallas Buyers Club’ Best Actor winner not only delivered a compelling acceptance speech, he also was convincingly decked out in a Dolce & Gabbana suit, Louboutin shoes and Chopard cufflinks. Always surprising us with his wild-card jackets, this one was a crispy ivory number, which he handsomely sported with a black vest, white button-down, black trousers and bowtie.

Bradley Cooper: Looking ever so dapper in a black Tom Ford tuxedo, paired with a black bow tie and Chopard cufflinks, the ‘American Hustle’ star and Best Supporting Actor nominee wore a side of handsome scruff with his classic ensemble

Pharrell Williams: Well, he wasn’t wearing the colossal hat, but the ‘Happy’ singer and nominee still turned heads with his cutoffs. The custom head-to-toe Lanvin look featured a black wool shawl-collar, one-button tuxedo with matching shorts, a white tuxedo shirt with ivory pearl buttons, a black satin bowtie and dark gray hand-polished calfskin derbies (sans socks, natch).  Yay or nay?

Oscars men 2Jared Leto: Like his ‘Dallas Buyers Club’ co-star Matthew, Jared accepted his Best Supporting Actor trophy in ivory, rocking favoured label, Saint Laurent. To go with his cream-coloured blazer, he wore a white shirt with embellished buttons, a scarlet Monsieur Jean Yves Paris bowtie and black pants. For this occasion, he turned down the grunge in exchange for glam.

Leonardo DiCaprio: Following the midnight-blue colour trend, ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ star and Best Actor nominee suited up in a Giorgio Armani Made to Measure wool two-button tuxedo with grosgrain notch lapels, a classic white evening shirt and a midnight-blue grosgrain bowtie. The jacket sleeves may have been a bit long, but he was wearing Jennifer Meyer cufflinks.

Michael B Jordan: Dressing to impress, as usual, the ‘Fruitvale Station’ actor showed off a slim-fitting, black Givenchy tuxedo. The real flash factor came in with his accessories, including Forevermark diamond studs, a black Piaget watch and a star-studded collar piece by Gentlemen x JBH. Even still, he decked out the look with one more pair of shiny objects: his black loafers encased in oversized silver buckles.

Oscars men 3Channing Tatum: Cocking a confident pose, the actor wore a black Gucci peak-lapel, one-button ‘City’ tuxedo with a white evening shirt, black silk cummerbund, black silk bowtie and black leather lace-up shoes—not to mention some heavily moussed hair. Do you like his skinnier tie?

Ethan Hawke: Although his haphazard stance did no favours for the fit of his custom-made Dior Homme night-blue wool and cashmere shawl-collar tuxedo, the classic white poplin cotton shirt, night-blue satin bowtie and black patent leather derbies were polished accouterments.

Will Smith: Taking the formality of the proceedings down just a notch, the actor looked comfortably attired in a black Berluti wool and mohair, peak-lapel smoking tuxedo jacket and matching trousers, paired with a white cotton evening shirt, cement silk handkerchief and ‘A Casa’ black velvet slippers.

Oscars men 4Ewan McGregor: Attending with Marni-wearing wife, Eve Mavrakis, the actor and presenter put on a traditional Neil Barrett black wool crepe tuxedo from the Fall/Winter 2014 collection.

Jason Sudeikis: The actor was refined in head-to-toe Prada, selecting a navy mohair tuxedo with satin lapels, paired with a white popeline bib front shirt, silver and black crocodile cufflinks, a black silk bowtie and black lace-up formal shoes.

Jeremy Renner: The ‘American Hustle’ actor bucked the black bowtie trend, swapping in a white version to complement his Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci black shawl lapel tuxedo and Christian Louboutin shoes.

oscar parties men 1Joshua Jackson: It’s always refreshing to see a colour aside from blue and black on a man. Joshua’s hue of the night was maroon, manifested in a wool and mohair peak-lapel smoking tuxedo jacket with matching trousers by Berluti. He completed the look with a white cotton evening shirt, navy silk jacquard bow-tie and Demesures classic navy blue and cappuccino, hand-dyed shoes in Venezia leather.

Will Arnett: The funny man marched out a Ermenegildo Zegna navy plaid velvet jacket, paired with dark trousers, a white shirt and black bowtie

Adrien Brody: The standout burgundy tie in his Hugo Boss black tux ensemble nearly matched Joshua’s ensemble.

oscar parties men 2Chris Evans: The action star chose a black Gucci notch lapel, two button ‘Marseille’ tuxedo with a white evening shirt, black silk long tie—no bowtie here—and black leather lace-up shoes.

Orlando Bloom: Looking relaxed, Orlando loosened his top collar in a head-to-toe Lanvin look consisting of a midnight-blue, one-button tuxedo with contrasting black satin peak lapels, along with matching pants, a white tuxedo shirt with black glass buttons, and black matte leather derbies. Did you miss the tie?

Credit: Getty

Sarah Jessica Parker In Dolce & Gabbana - Great American Songbook Event Honoring Bryan Lourd

Sarah Jessica Parker In Dolce & Gabbana – Great American Songbook Event Honoring Bryan Lourd

Blake Lively's Michael Kors Short-Sleeve Blazer And Michael Kors Embroidered Wool-Blend Skirt

Blake Lively’s Michael Kors Short-Sleeve Blazer And Michael Kors Embroidered Wool-Blend Skirt

27 Responses to Oscars 2014 & Vanity Fair Party Menswear Red Carpet Roundup

1. CDC March 4, 2014 at 09:10 #

I wish Chris Hemsworth was included here, he was one of the best dressed males of the night in my opinion. Nevertheless, all the men here look great, especially Michael B. Jordan.

• Fanny March 4, 2014 at 22:25 #

I agree about Chris.

2. Denise March 4, 2014 at 10:12 #

Mc Gregor for me. I was a bit disappointed by Jared Leto, didn’t like the black and white combo. I preferred his Golden Globes look.

3. alvaro_spain March 4, 2014 at 10:21 #

Ethan Hawke and Bradley Cooper are my favourites!

4. Alina March 4, 2014 at 10:30 #

Michael B. Jordan, Channing Tatum and Jason Sudeikis are my favourites.

5. Britta March 4, 2014 at 12:07 #

I know it may sound crazy. But I never liked bow ties. The whole idea on bows for men – I don’t get it. Bows are for girls ;o) And I love a beautiful long tie!

• Jason March 4, 2014 at 14:58 #

Really Britta??…”Bows are for girls?!?”. What a juvenile statement.

• Britta March 5, 2014 at 03:12 #

Well, I’m 47 YO, so I don’t know about a juvenile statement… I love bows for girls and for women. I really don’t get it for men. Long tie is just my thing! Sorry if it offends you!

• S June 17, 2014 at 08:20 #

It’s a matter of taste. I think bows for girls are awful, but I agree with the long ties; beautiful!

6. Yeliz March 4, 2014 at 12:13 #

Jared, Leo, Jason and Joshua are my favourites of the bunch.

7. Christine March 4, 2014 at 12:17 #

Michael B Jordon, Will Smith, Jared Leto, Matthew M and Ethan Hawke all look BDMOTW worthy.

8. justme March 4, 2014 at 14:16 #

Hell nay @ Pharrell’s shorts.

On a more positive note, I love that Matthew & Jared matched their outfits. Jared looks the best of the two though. His suit is better fitted.

He’s not here but Chris Hemsworth was my favourite.

9. EmmaWoodhouse March 4, 2014 at 14:24 #

Jared, Ewan, Jason, Adrian, and Chris are standing out for me here. Pharrell looks ridiculous.

10. Nat39 March 4, 2014 at 15:56 #

The very dapper Bradley Cooper for me.

11. wer March 4, 2014 at 17:25 #

i love matthew and jared, they surely stand out here. orlando looks great as well. i wish chris hemsworth was included.

12. Taylor March 4, 2014 at 18:21 #

These are all winning looks. In love with Jared’s look and also here for Pharrell’s shorts – Yay!!!

13. anjos March 4, 2014 at 19:02 #

The pants never seem to work right for Bradley Cooper. Which is why he always looks uncomfortable in his suits.

Jared Leto. Michael B. Jordan and Ewan McGregor looked amazing. I’m kinda over all the frumpy badly fitted suits on men. Like, will Leo DiCaprio’s stylist ever do something with his pants? It’s 2014, get with the times.

14. molly March 4, 2014 at 19:09 #

I loved DiCaprio myself, its nice seeing him in something other than a black tux.

15. amy March 4, 2014 at 19:41 #

everybody looks somewhat fine except for Pharrell,I knwo he has a quirky style but we’re talking oscars here so it’s a nay.

16. Joy March 4, 2014 at 20:29 #

I have the biggest crush on Jared Leto after this award season. So he’s definitely my fav. Michael B Jordan has been really great all award season too. Pharrell is a heck NO!!!! Seriously, it’s the Oscars and you are a grown up.

17. Britta March 5, 2014 at 03:17 #

I’m pretty concerned about dressing for the occasion – and respect the dress code and tradition for any event! For a formal event as The Academy Awards you don’t show up in shorts! It’s lack of respect for the event!

18. Valeria March 5, 2014 at 05:08 #

Love Pharrell and a its a big Yay to shorts. Michael B Jordan made me swoon and Ewan McGregor looked stunning. Loved Orlando Bloom as well and everyone else should take cues on fit from these gentlemen

19. Natalie March 5, 2014 at 06:21 #

Can’t believe Kevin Spacey wasn’t included here, far and away best dressed man of the night. Perfectly fitted jacket and hemmed pants. Loved the midnight blue color as well.

20. Zissou March 5, 2014 at 09:11 #

The tailoring of Pharrell’s suit is exquisite: everything is on point and it has to, be by far, the best look of the bunch.
    Pacey looks good and I still miss the chubby Sudekis, not just because he looked hotter, but also because he doesn’t seem to be able to dress for his new body shape yep.

21. Thomas March 5, 2014 at 12:09 #

Hello guys!
    Just FYI, Jared Leto was wearing a MONSIEUR JEAN YVES PARIS. Unlike everyone thinks, it is not a Saint Laurent one :-).
    Congrats again for his achievement !

• Isabella March 6, 2014 at 17:50 #

Only the bowtie is from Monsieur Jean Yves Paris

22. Colbert April 24, 2014 at 15:16 #

Nice suits! I especially like Bradley Coopers suit (and his looks)