16.02.14

Maggie Gyllenhaal In Lanvin – 2014 BAFTAs

Maggie Gyllenhaal In Lanvin - 2014 BAFTAsMaggie Gyllenhaal attended the 2014 BAFTAs, held on Sunday (February 16) at The Royal Opera House in London, England.

For the occasion, the actress wore a custom-made Lanvin deep-violet, frosted lace gown with grosgrain-embroidered detailing.

A jewelry box could have exploded on the bodice, what with its clutter of gems, jewels and pearl embellishment.

Heavily bedecked and bedazzled, this long-sleeve design was nearly giving me visual sensory overload. Indeed, it nearly swallowed Maggie whole, although she did lighten the load with her pixie crop and fuchsia-pink lip.

Too overworked?

Credit: Getty

Emma Thompson In Maria Grachvogel - 2014 BAFTAs

Emma Thompson In Maria Grachvogel – 2014 BAFTAs

Samantha Barks In Calvin Klein Collection - BAFTAs 2014

Samantha Barks In Calvin Klein Collection – BAFTAs 2014

18 Responses to Maggie Gyllenhaal In Lanvin – 2014 BAFTAs

1. Christine February 16, 2014 at 21:07 #

Way too much going on.

• Alina February 17, 2014 at 04:58 #

I agree.

2. Cuteboy February 16, 2014 at 21:08 #

I would love this on someone like Cate or Keira; someone with the elegance, height and build to pull it off – this just looks too frumpy on her.

Great dress though.

• TheChloe February 16, 2014 at 21:19 #

Keira would rock this!

• SilentVisitor February 17, 2014 at 01:17 #

Height? Maggie is 5’9” while Keira is 5’7″; Once again height?

Anyway, I think this dress has just too many things going on

3. ValS February 16, 2014 at 21:09 #

Never heard of the phrase “take one thing off before you leave the house”, hasn’t she? There is too much going on on that dress, leave some of the embellishment and the dress could have been nice

4. Beth Rodrigues February 16, 2014 at 21:12 #

I like it! What fun!!

5. Yeliz February 16, 2014 at 21:18 #

Definitely too overworked.

6. Tess February 16, 2014 at 21:21 #

I love when people take risks on the red carpet but this is not paying off for her. It’s very ageing and makes her look wide in the top. The embellishments look too arts and crafty… it’s just overkill.

7. Charlotte February 16, 2014 at 21:22 #

This is awful ! From head to toe.

8. Nat39 February 16, 2014 at 21:22 #

Overworked with those chunky jewels was my 1st thought, and that hairstyle needs to go (unless it’s for a role, of course). She looks dowdy.

9. ysh87 February 16, 2014 at 21:44 #

I would never have in a million years guessed this was Lanvin. It’s definitely not working on her.

10. Anj February 16, 2014 at 23:35 #

I surprisingly think this looks awesome. It’s her hair that is just so jarring against this gown. I have no bias against short hair in general but I’m tired of her overly short, looks like it was cut by a 5 year old style version. This would’ve looked better on a long-haired brunette.

• Lauren February 17, 2014 at 12:37 #

Agreed. She looks 50 years older than she is here.

11. CTgirl February 17, 2014 at 01:30 #

I didn’t know that Maggie was a Russian Grand Duchess. That is the only possible explanation for this overworked and unflattering gown with horrible epaulettes that could cut someone and those lace sleeves that looked like they were sewn from granny’s curtains. The dress would have had a chance at being wearable if it didn’t have that shoulder detailing or the sleeves.

Even if her hair is for a role, it should have been styled messy and cute with that dress. That staid pixie is like a bucket of cold water was thrown on any exuberance that she could have conveyed.

12. Cohen February 17, 2014 at 11:39 #

its just a case of wrong dress on the wrong girl, not even the pixie cut can save the look

lanvin created such an extraordinary resort collection that i would like to think suits only certain type of body or persona and sadly maggie cant pull it off, maybe it works on a statuesque red haired girl

13. Jess2 February 17, 2014 at 11:45 #

I think that this look would have been amazing without the sleeves.

14. the ogre February 17, 2014 at 16:30 #

No, I can’t take so much at once. The top part of the dress is too cluttered and in violation with the short hair styled that way. I don’t even particularly like the material of the dress. In all, this is a surprisingly poor showing from Maggie who’s generally pretty well turned out.