Lupita Nyong’o In Christian Dior Couture – 2014 BAFTAs

Lupita Nyong'o In Christian Dior Couture - 2014 BAFTAsLupita Nyong’o dressed to impress at the 2014 BAFTAs today (February 16), which were hosted at The Royal Opera House in London, England.

The ’12 Years a Slave’ actress yet again flexed her fashion muscle in a dazzling, emerald-green gown from the Christian Dior Fall 2013 Couture collection, worn with Christian Louboutin heels.

The rich, jewel-toned hue had me at hello. Add to that the metallic belt and the long, theatrical ball-gown train, and this is what red-carpet dressing is really all about.

No doubt using the belt as inspiration, she accessorized with Ana Khouri gold ‘Ildeman’ cuffs and gold-and-pearl ‘Laura’ earrings, thankfully not going overboard with a necklace.

Once again stunning not only with her dramatic style, but also her makeup, she complemented the look with a pretty magenta lip and smoky charcoal eye.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Naomie Harris In Gucci - 2014 BAFTAs

Naomie Harris In Gucci – 2014 BAFTAs

Angelina Jolie In Saint Laurent - 2014 BAFTAs

Angelina Jolie In Saint Laurent – 2014 BAFTAs

66 Responses to Lupita Nyong’o In Christian Dior Couture – 2014 BAFTAs

1. Shannon February 16, 2014 at 19:09 #

Gorgeous! She has such grace about her.

2. Rosanna February 16, 2014 at 19:10 #

J’adore.

3. Yeliz February 16, 2014 at 19:10 #

How amazing does this colour look against her skin tone?! Also the gold belt is much preferred to the runway belt. I’m not completely fond of the cuffs but this is another stunning look from her.

• Kelli February 17, 2014 at 02:44 #

Came to say the exact same thing

4. ValS February 16, 2014 at 19:10 #

Yay for a beautiful Dior dress! Joke aside, she looks incredible. The coilour really suits her and I love her accessories

5. Alina February 16, 2014 at 19:11 #

F.L.A.W.L.E.S.S.
    She hits it out of the park AGAIN!

6. Larissa February 16, 2014 at 19:13 #

And that’s how it’s done!!I swear this woman looks amazing in every colour. You go Lupita!

7. CreoleLady February 16, 2014 at 19:17 #

A Simons-era Dior which fits beautifully — what a concept. Not feeling the Wonder Woman double cuff but that’s minor. The color is just gorgeous.

• Iva February 16, 2014 at 19:21 #

8. Nat39 February 16, 2014 at 19:18 #

Vibrant, dramatic, gorgeous figure-flattering fit – another show-stoppping look for Lupita. With all the modern metallic accessories, I wish she had skipped the pearl earrings, but it’s minor. It’s a beautiful standout look for her.

• Nat39 February 16, 2014 at 19:39 #

or she could’ve skipped the cuffs and added a clutch instead. I think she went overboard with the accesssorization a bit.

9. Lily February 16, 2014 at 19:25 #

She looks truly divine but somehow her gown reminds me of one Jennifer Lawrence wore to the last year’s Golden Globes.
    The makeup is perfection

• Fanny February 16, 2014 at 19:42 #

It was my first thought, about Jennifer Lawrence.
      She does look beautiful though.

• Elisabet February 16, 2014 at 20:47 #

Yes! The first thing that popped in my mind! Not to take anything away from the dress though, it’s gorgeos, and the colour is super gorgeous.

• Peris February 16, 2014 at 21:31 #

I absolutely thought the same thing! She looks lovely though!

• jas February 17, 2014 at 01:52 #

totally agree. at first i thought it was exactly the same dress. i will admit that the colour is gorgeous on her, but i think she needed to differentiate it a little more from jen’s.

10. AnnaP February 16, 2014 at 19:31 #

Lupita cannot put a foot wrong: the colour, the make up, the elegance and style are superlative.

11. chocolate shake February 16, 2014 at 19:33 #

i seriously don’t understand the craze about this girl’s fashion she just recycles other peoples looks this is jennifr Lawrence’s globes red dress and her globes dress was paltrow’s tom ford for Oscars. in my opinion her stylist is lazy

• Gioia February 16, 2014 at 20:48 #

Yet she wears those “recycled” outfits better than them… Her stylist is a wonder worker to find outfits that are gorgeous and statement making and Lupita was born to wear couture. I don’t wanna be rude but your comment seems to borne out of dislike for Lupita herself than her outfits.

• alex February 17, 2014 at 02:42 #

yes,he is so rude. At least I didn’t see any cheating in her breath-taking gucci gown worn to the SAG

• Ahot February 17, 2014 at 09:59 #

Yeah those dresses were patented, NOT! -_-

12. Elise February 16, 2014 at 19:33 #

The green color is fantastic on her, and she looks great, but I feel the gown is a very common gown, we have seen it many times before.

• Anne February 16, 2014 at 22:58 #

Love the color and her makeup, but ho-hum on the dress itself.

13. LeeAnn February 16, 2014 at 19:42 #

My dear friend helped her with this dress and said she is teeny tiny terribly pretty and absolutely lovely .i am so glad she wore it. She moved Dior forward and puls the brand back into fabulousness

• Ahot February 17, 2014 at 10:01 #

OMG, THIS!
      It makes you wonder, how come JL´s stylist never thought of putting her in something like this before. She is well on her way to restore CD´s credibility.
      BDOTW

• CreoleLady February 17, 2014 at 10:34 #

Actually, JLaw wore a similar dress in red with a metallic belt to the 2013 Golden Globes. I say similar because the fit is so different (and so superior, imo) on Lupita in the bodice that I’m not sure if it the exact same dress. If it is, it would be interesting to see the results of a WWIB. It’s interesting to re-read the comments on JLaw’s look at the time.

14. Jai February 16, 2014 at 19:43 #

The cuffs liven it up but other than that it’s a strapless, shiny gown. Don’t love.

15. Miss H February 16, 2014 at 19:46 #

Amazing again. I have a feeling at least half my BDOTY list will be dedicated to Lupita!

16. Christine February 16, 2014 at 19:46 #

BDOTW Worthy! She looks so gorgeous. Love this!

17. molly February 16, 2014 at 19:52 #

She looks amazing but Im kind of bitter because I was really hoping that Jennifer Lawrence would eventually wear this :(

• Ahot February 17, 2014 at 10:04 #

Lol, i totally understand the feeling. The worst part is, she highlights well how wrong JL as the face of Dior is. A wasted opportunity indeed.

18. dedel February 16, 2014 at 19:53 #

I love it, the color, the fabric … Her make-up is wonderful. Just one thing, I think, only one bracelet would have been enough !

19. cate February 16, 2014 at 19:58 #

I’M IN LOVE. How can she look so amazing in such a “been-there-done-that” dress??

If this is what she’s pulling at the Baftas, can you imagine what’s she’s going to look like at the Oscars? I can’t wait.

20. Courtney Klein February 16, 2014 at 20:01 #

Love this color on her. She so graceful and beautiful but I don’t like the Wonder Woman cuffs.

• kane February 16, 2014 at 20:03 #

Noooo, Courtney, don’t give me ideas! I don’t mind them at all, but will now have to spend the rest of the evening unseeing them!

• Ahot February 17, 2014 at 10:05 #

LOL!

21. kane February 16, 2014 at 20:02 #

I’ll sit back and enjoy the gorgeousness of this. She’s seetting the standards for the first Sunday in March so d*** high! Hope we aren’t in for an anti-climax… Be it as it may, there’s nothing she could have done better at this Sunday’s outing. Stunning!

22. Milla B. February 16, 2014 at 20:06 #

Interesting. That was my pick for Jennifer Lawrence use at the Oscar.
    Lupita looks gorgeous, as usual, the dress stand up because of the color and just because of this.

23. Ysatis February 16, 2014 at 20:13 #

I think Lupita gives life to the dress. It’s just a gorgeous look. It’s clean, simple and effortlessly chic. I am tired of celebrities who try so hard to be fashion forward.

24. KC February 16, 2014 at 22:03 #

Gorgeous, as always.

I thank her for showing Jennifer Lawrence how it’s done.

• Ysatis February 17, 2014 at 14:28 #

I google searched Jlaw’s dior dress that some people say is identical to Lupita’s dress but I don’t think the dress are that similar. The details and colours are different. But the main difference is that Lupita wore the dress with confidence, she’s working it. Lupita is naturally stylish and elegant. As lovely as Jlaw is, she doesn’t have that natural and effortless elegance. In the red Dress dior, she looked uncomfortable and like a little girl playing dress up.

25. bellah February 16, 2014 at 22:16 #

that’s how its done….wow!

26. Juliana February 16, 2014 at 22:41 #

That’s how you wear a Christian Dior!!! Amazing!!! Red Carpet Queen!!!

27. Dhppy February 16, 2014 at 22:42 #

Mercy! This is wonderful! The color on her skin is fantastic! And she makes Dior look good – which is not an easy thing to do since Raf Simons took the helm.

28. Mm February 16, 2014 at 22:59 #

Love the color, love seeing her everywhere. The fit is perfection

29. Bec February 16, 2014 at 23:10 #

2.9k Facebook likes?! Wow!

Love this, so excited for the Oscars!

30. Pedro February 16, 2014 at 23:13 #

Perfection from H-2-T!

Flawless

31. Anj February 16, 2014 at 23:45 #

Without a question, she is best-dressed at this event. It just goes to show how color + styling goes a long way to make an outfit that much more amazing.

• Fiona-Brasil February 16, 2014 at 23:54 #

• SilentVisitor February 17, 2014 at 13:07 #

32. Derro February 17, 2014 at 00:19 #

She looks fantastic, but it’s an expected sillhouette. I’m in the minority of those who thinks JLaw looks fantastic in Dior gowns like this. I don’t understand those who rave about Lupita in this but dislike JLaw in very similar – almost the exact same – looks.

• rebecca o February 17, 2014 at 05:27 #

• Tamara February 17, 2014 at 05:47 #

Because it truly is a case of wearing the gown better. I understand your case, I have never liked JLaw in her strapless billowing Dior gowns (globes and oscars) but adore Lupita in this one. The difference is Lupita looks so fresh and modern (cliched “fashion” term, sorry lol) in hers, perhaps because of the shorter hair and makeup, as well as just exuding the kind of grace and personality that befits this dress. JLaw on the other hand? Last awards season I was not on board with her hair and makeup- those heavy dark eyes and crazy blush-bronzed she had going on coupled with the old lady low buns aged her drastically. Add that to a fairly classic silhouette like this one and it just didn’t translate well. (As an aside I think her hair and makeup game this year has been so much better!)

Also in contrast to what I said about Lupita’s personality carrying this dress, Jennifer’s does not lend itself to grander dresses like this because she is young, has a much more casual vibe about her (her red CK gown at her first Osars was perfect for her) and quite frankly, seems to be very disinterested in talking about her red carpet outfits and doesn’t seem to appreciate such beautiful gowns (as evidenced by sarcastic replies to the “what are you wearing?” question such as “a dress..?”). Her disinterest shows and that’s why a lot of fashion lovers are not buying the JLaw-Dior collaboration. I don’t blame her, she is here to act and she’s darn good at it. I do however wish she wouldn’t waste a multi million Dior contract so someone more deserving could showcase these dresses slightly better.

Whereas Lupita seems to really enjoy the red carpet dressing and talking about her gowns. Sorry for the ramble but I wanted to explain myself and make clear that this wasn’t an unfounded bias!

• Dhppy February 20, 2014 at 00:49 #

I’m so glad you mentioned Jennifer Lawrence’s red Calvin Klein Oscar gown, because she looked amazing in it. She looked so free and happy and alive. Unfortunately, almost every Dior outfit she’s worn made her look constricted and frustrated. She pulls at them frequently. She seems constrained and miserable… which can’t be an easy feat to achieve considering she’s a naturally gorgeous, charming, and vivacious person.

• Ahot February 17, 2014 at 10:14 #

This silhouette does nothing for JL. She looks dowdy, boring @ best in it. + Color! That´s the difference. A shame, truly, because it´s such a timeless design.
      JL´s team failed her. They never seem to be able to capture her youth, she looks always uncomfortable & out of place in DIOR. The brand as it is now is too mature for her, since Galliano left.
      I am still waiting for her to recreate that P. Gurung moment @ the Hunger Games Premiere.

33. Neli February 17, 2014 at 00:50 #

Gorgeous! She’s fantastic!

34. Prian February 17, 2014 at 01:20 #

I was originally thought this gown was saved for Jennifer Lawrence oscars, now the prettier gowns has been worn, she has to wear Dior recent awful collection. I LOVE Dior, but ever since Raf took over, he took the ‘new look’ quite literally and done it over and over and over in his designs.

Anyway, she looks really beautiful, love everything from the makeup, the belt, earrings, on the fence with the cuffs though, should’ve worn one or not at all, but still best dressed of the night.

35. hjj February 17, 2014 at 02:20 #

Perfection. Period.

36. Lila February 17, 2014 at 06:19 #

I have adored this gown since I first saw the runway picture but it doesn’t quite live up to my expectations here. I’m not entirely sure why- it fits beautifully, the color is gorgeous on Lupita, she wears clothes wonderfully, it isn’t over-accessorized. It just doesn’t quite have the glamour and impact that it had on the runway. It’s just a pretty, well made and worn gown.

• Ahot February 17, 2014 at 10:16 #

That sums up the whole problem with Dior lately. For this particular one, i think it´s a case of the angle the picture in which is taken. Maybe if seen in motion?

37. CD February 17, 2014 at 09:53 #

that color! girl should have saved this for the big night

38. Jess2 February 17, 2014 at 11:14 #

LOVE!!

39. Joy February 17, 2014 at 12:52 #

This look reminds me of Jennifer Lawrence at the GG. I think Lupita looks absolutely beautiful and she’s just so stunning. Once again she shows us just how amazing she looks in color. But when I look at this dress I can’t see it without seeing Jennifer, so I’m not sure if that takes away some of the excitement for me. Both looked lovely in the similar Dior gowns.

40. Sunny February 17, 2014 at 15:05 #

Now this is the first dress I like form Lupita, and it is amazing!

41. Prudence February 17, 2014 at 18:27 #

okay haters idk why yall be calling jlaws name saying this is the same dress as the red thing she wore to the GG because I do not see it at all. Jlaws’s dress had those weird cone boobs and the tail was not nearly as dramatic. The only similarity is thay they were both strapless. The only reason why Jlaw’s name should come up is to ask ourselves how her stylist never put her in this gown instead of the multiple uglies she has worn. Once again Lupita slays all of hollywood. Her grace is unbelievable and thats why she always looks so damn good.

42. brat February 17, 2014 at 23:39 #

Lupita sticks with tried and tested classics. Clean, classic and flattering silhouettes. Nothing wrong with that. Her only competition for this red carpet was Uma. Yes, this is very similar to Jennifer’s dress but Lupita does it better with fit, color and styling. I need JLaw to fire her stylist and hire Lupita’s.