Lupita Nyong'o In Valentino Couture - 13th Annual AARP's Movies for Grownups Awards Gala

Lupita Nyong’o attended the 13th Annual AARP’s Movies for Grownups Awards Gala held at the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel on Monday (February 10) in Beverly Hills, California following the Academy Awards Nominees Luncheon.

Opting for a smooth mocha satin dress from the Valentino Fall 2013 Couture collection, you would be forgiven if you thought this look was Cushnie et Ochs as their signature dresses feature the same cut-out neckline and spaghetti strap detailing.

This look is much improved over the Dior frock, but that wouldn’t have been too much of a stretch.

Keeping the one-tone look, she opted for matching sandals, thankfully leaving the Paul Andrews pumps at home. She did opt for a contrasting colour via her matte red lip.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Gwyneth Paltrow In Saint Laurent - Great American Songbook Event Honoring Bryan Lourd

Gwyneth Paltrow In Saint Laurent – Great American Songbook Event Honoring Bryan Lourd

Imogen Poots In Marc Jacobs - 'A Long Way Down' Berlin Film Festival

Imogen Poots In Marc Jacobs – ‘A Long Way Down’ Berlin Film Festival

18 Responses to Lupita Nyong’o In Valentino Couture – 13th Annual AARP’s Movies for Grownups Awards Gala

1. Charlotte February 11, 2014 at 09:07 #

I don’t like the color of the dress and the shoes are not working here and are dated. Not a good look IMO.

• Lashae February 11, 2014 at 10:21 #

• Christine February 11, 2014 at 11:27 #

Sadly, I agree

2. Princess Chi Chi February 11, 2014 at 09:07 #

Don’t like this, the colour of the dress bothers me as well as the shape of the skirt.

3. Alina February 11, 2014 at 09:11 #

Yeah, this one is better, but not great.
    You found a very good picture, because the other ones weren’t so great.

4. kane February 11, 2014 at 09:51 #

I really dislike the shoes, but the red lip gives the look, ankles-up, the right kind of punch. Nowhere near her top5 looks for me, but I like it.

5. Pedro February 11, 2014 at 10:56 #

Another bad look for Lupita… that’s sad!

6. Yeliz February 11, 2014 at 11:09 #

I loved this dress on the runway but sadly not on Lupita. Whilst the fit is fine, the colour does absolutely nothing for her skin tone. But at least her shoes are better on this occasion.

• dee February 11, 2014 at 19:01 #

I agree.

7. Ivy Correa February 11, 2014 at 11:56 #

I really don’t like the colour of the dress on her. She’s so beautitul and always look gorgeous in dresses with colours.
    This time she wasn’t perfect. (That’s my opinion).
    By the way, I’m still in love with you BLOG. The best, EVER!
    Once more, Congratulations!

8. Joy February 11, 2014 at 11:59 #

Hopefully she didn’t peak too early in award season. The last few looks have been very un-memorable. Come on Lupita, please bring back your AMAZING looks!

9. dan oliver February 11, 2014 at 13:56 #

Not a fan of this look its not awful but it is boring and I find the dress a little on the cheap side. I’m sure if this was anyone other than lupita she would of got a much harsher review.

10. pinksugar February 11, 2014 at 15:03 #

I actually prefer the Dior look over this one. The cut and color here are making it look like she’s wearing a used candy bar wrapper. The shoes also look like something that would be worn to a prom. She desperately needed some pops of color via a colorful bag or at least some pretty jewels. Is our beloved Lupita starting to slip?

11. Rebecca Z February 11, 2014 at 15:44 #

I like this dress–it isn’t her most spectacular, but there’s nothing wrong with it. Interestingly, her skin tone and the lighting make it look more gold than mocha. The accessories are okay. Maybe she is saving up for the big night!

• Nat39 February 11, 2014 at 21:37 #

I’m not seeing anything that wrong here either, and I actually like the soft and smooth sheen of mocha against her skin tone.

12. from-chitown February 11, 2014 at 15:54 #

This is better than her Dior look, but I still don’t like it for her. The color does not suit her.

13. arang February 11, 2014 at 16:49 #

Do not like. The color is bland on her (as nude-colored dresses too often are), and it’s also somehow making her skin tone look ashy. Not fond of the satin either.

14. the ogre February 12, 2014 at 16:23 #

Firstly, I don’t like these shoes at all. Secondly, the dress does nothing for her. Last but not the least, the fabric makes it even worse. I only like her lip colour.