Silvia Abascal In Stéphane Rolland Couture – Goya Cinema Awards 2014

Goya Cinema Awards 2014 - Red Carpet

Silvia Abascal attended the Goya Cinema Awards 2014 held at Centro de Congresos Principe Felipe on Sunday (February 9) in Madrid, Spain.

Giving me that dramatic moment I was hoping for from this event, the Spanish actress wore a Stéphane Rolland Fall 2013 Couture strapless ballgown-trousers hybrid look featuring a patent leather floral detail perched on the hip and a draped skirt.

I have a feeling the picture is not doing justice to this look. I can imagine it was quite a stop-and-stare moment.

The necklace I would’ve left behind, but this is the Spanish version of the Oscars, so go big or go home.

Stéphane Rolland Couture

Credit: Elle.com & Getty

Aura Garrido In Alberta Ferretti - Goya Cinema Awards 2014

Aura Garrido In Alberta Ferretti – Goya Cinema Awards 2014

Mar Saura In Michael Kors - Goya Cinema Awards 2014

Mar Saura In Michael Kors – Goya Cinema Awards 2014

27 Responses to Silvia Abascal In Stéphane Rolland Couture – Goya Cinema Awards 2014

1. Rye February 9, 2014 at 23:44 #

The flower thing the hip looks very cheap and bringing the look down

• Christine February 10, 2014 at 00:20 #

Agreed. It’s really ugly. Dramatic or not.

2. Nat39 February 9, 2014 at 23:54 #

The leather floral detail at her hip looks cheap, it only overwhelms and adds even more bulk to already voluminous look – completely unnecessary. And I don’t like her styling with lovely updo and necklace. Would’ve much preferred it w/o the necklace and a sleek ‘do to match the modern architectural sharpness of the look. I’m not sold.

• Nat39 February 10, 2014 at 00:06 #

…my instant reaction when I saw that detail – a cheap DIY project out of a garbage bag, it’s bad.

• Anne February 10, 2014 at 01:40 #

+1. Horrific!

• kane February 10, 2014 at 10:16 #

I also had the garbage bag association, no thanks. And the necklace isn’t big enough for ‘go big,’ so go home.

3. Amanda February 9, 2014 at 23:59 #

WOW!! That’s a whole lotta dress! Not sure if it isn’t just a bit overwhelming and it seems like it would be really difficult to walk in. Having said that I do like it.

4. pipsqueak February 10, 2014 at 00:06 #

I also don’t like the bow. It’s like saying, “Hey, take me, I’m your Valentine’s Day online order.” Even on the runway, I think it was a case where editing was needed but not used. The rest of the dress looked gorgeous and she carried it well.

5. fala February 10, 2014 at 00:14 #

If Cate Blanchet wore it, you all would be screaming Best Dressed Of The Year. You’re so subjective,,,,,

• Nat39 February 10, 2014 at 00:27 #

Queen certainly has many devoted fans to whom pretty much everything she wears suddenly becomes a work of art, but there are also readers who are trying to be objective, I assure you.

• fala February 10, 2014 at 00:33 #

I hope what you say is true

• Luna February 10, 2014 at 07:34 #

I completely agree with fala

• jokevandenbogert February 10, 2014 at 12:28 #

You should only wear a dress like this when you can pull it of. This actres can’t. The styling is stupid with this dress, but also her posing does not work. Now it looks like a flower piece put on te hood of a car in a showroom. But Cate probably would know how to work it. That’s the difference!

• dee February 10, 2014 at 16:21 #

Sometimes Cate fails to work a look too. Some of her recent red carpet looks have been disappointing in my opinion.

• Rachel February 10, 2014 at 18:25 #

I do agree about the bias tbh. someone just “wearing a dress better” sounds like favouritism to me

On a different note I love the dress on the runway but I reckon it requires a lot of height to pull it off. Or maybe this is even just a bad angle.

• Kathy February 10, 2014 at 22:36 #

The person wearing the dress DOES matter, you know. Not everyone can bring the same air of grace and sophistication to the table. If there was no difference between two people wearing the same thing, why would we even have Who Wore It Better?

• fala February 11, 2014 at 18:50 #

you don’t get it, all I meant is that everything Cate Blanchet wears is piece of masterpiece and BDOTY contender even though she look awful, but wait it’s Queen right?

• fala February 11, 2014 at 18:50 #

6. Yeliz February 10, 2014 at 00:34 #

As dramatic as this look is, I don’t like the floral detail and the necklace looks so out of place + I kinda have a feeling that this gown would’ve looked better on someone taller.

7. cherrysoftness February 10, 2014 at 02:35 #

Maybe I’m the only one who loved this? I like the interplay between the two fabrics – both black but one dry and matte, one slick and shiny, in a big ball gown. And not just the large pieces in front, I love how the skirt draped in gentle folds all around her, too.

8. Anne Gallagher February 10, 2014 at 05:18 #

Yes, it is a very dramatic gown. The picture is unfortunate though, it looks like she is being eaten by a small alien.

• cherrysoftness February 10, 2014 at 07:54 #

Okay you win, I laughed so hard!

9. Alina February 10, 2014 at 05:28 #

The dress kinda overwhelmes her.

10. Raquel February 10, 2014 at 09:59 #

You’re right, this picture is not doing justice to her look. I saw her on tv and she looked breathtaking and really elegant.

11. Joel February 10, 2014 at 12:18 #

Maybe without the necklace, but I love it!

12. bas February 10, 2014 at 21:00 #