05.02.14

Vanity Fair’s Annual Hollywood Issue

Vanity Fair March 2014

Vanity Fair’s annual Hollywood Issue – shot by Annie Leibovitz – features a mix of up-and-comers plus the old guard of Hollywood which includes Chiwetel Ejiofor, Julia Roberts, Idris Elba, George Clooney, Michael B. Jordan, Jared Leto, Lupita Nyong’o, Naomie Harris, Brie Larson, Chadwick Boseman, Margot Robbie and Lea Seydoux.

I’m excited to see more diversity on this cover, although perhaps George Clooney should’ve sat this one out considering his bit part in ‘Gravity'; his space could’ve been taken by another up-and-comer or someone who has had a stellar year, like Amy Adams.

My eye immediately goes to Lupita, who looks sensational in the gold liquid Calvin Klein gown (previous worn by Diane Kruger) looking like an Oscar statue; as for the fellas, I love the unified tuxs and white bow-tie combos.

Click on image to enlarge.

Credit: Vanity Fair

29th Santa Barbara International Film Festival Menswear Roundup

29th Santa Barbara International Film Festival Menswear Roundup

Vanessa White In Emilio De La Morena - InStyle Best Of British Talent Pre-BAFTA Party

Vanessa White In Emilio De La Morena – InStyle Best Of British Talent Pre-BAFTA Party

34 Responses to Vanity Fair’s Annual Hollywood Issue

1. Rye February 5, 2014 at 14:16 #

Rightfully glamorous issue, all the guys look very dapper but lupita clearly the first one who got my attention among all the actresses

However, on the side note, really don’t get why Margot Robbie is in this issue. She’s mostly half naked in the movie, don’t get hype at all. Would love to see cate or Amy Adams instead

• SkirtTheIssue February 5, 2014 at 21:41 #

Margot Robbie may have been half naked in a couple of scenes, but that doesn’t take away from the fact she gave a great performance! And she has a couple of other big roles coming out soon, so I think this was a well deserved spot in representing “new” Hollywood (and she look gorgeous as always!)

George Clooney produced August: Osage County, so he has been involved with two projects up for major nominations this season- but agree he’s presences isn’t as “fresh” as some of the other picks (but we would have missed that lovely Paltrow/VF dig in the cover shoot video had he not been there!)

• Pam February 5, 2014 at 21:55 #

Agree, Margot Robbie was fantastic.

• Bec February 6, 2014 at 00:47 #

Have you seen the movie? She is half naked for about 30 seconds….she gave a great performance and she was memorable (which is no easy feat being next to Leo)!

• Rye February 6, 2014 at 16:29 #

Yes I’ve seen the movie. I think she did decent performance but not really stood out for me except when her being naked that was certainly caught my attention. But it’s my opinion though

2. Alina February 5, 2014 at 14:16 #

YES! YES! YES! I said a while ago that Lupita would look stunning in a long, simple, gold dress… and she does! I don’t understand why she isn’t on the main cover.
    Her, Naomie, Idris and Michael B. steal the show for me.

• Pam February 5, 2014 at 22:00 #

She looks amazing, but I don’t like the way they’ve just plopped her into the middle of the photograph. The other actors seem to have some interaction with each other, but she is just standing there like a piece of furniture.

• Nat February 6, 2014 at 23:32 #

I completely agree with you. I don`t understand why she was not in the main cover.

3. cp February 5, 2014 at 14:20 #

This was the absolute best thing to wake up to in the US. Talk about star power, and a nice change in diversity for Vanity Fair! Lupita and Naomie look amazing, as usual.

4. Paulyne February 5, 2014 at 14:27 #

I completely agree with you ! Amy should’ve been on this cover !

I think Brie Larson and Naomie Harris are wearing Jason Wu Spring 2014 RTW :)

5. Christine February 5, 2014 at 15:36 #

Gorgeous gorgeous!!!! Lupita is Oscar gold!! They all look stunning! Yes for diversity on. A huge magazine

6. Cookie February 5, 2014 at 16:02 #

Hahahaha I saw all these long gowns first then my eye went to Julia, and my brain just screamed “Jesus, Julia, put some trousers on!” lol. She looks so good though

7. Rotwinsky February 5, 2014 at 16:28 #

Diane Kruger wore the same gown as lupita a couple of years back at Cannes.

• Catherine Kallon February 5, 2014 at 17:53 #

• Nat February 6, 2014 at 23:34 #

It looks better on Lupita

• noo February 7, 2014 at 05:54 #

Diane was my BDOTY in that dress and I feel Lupita is doing it just as much justice :D

8. Ramsay February 5, 2014 at 16:30 #

For me Julia steals the scene (I can only look at her really) with that radiant smile – she’s looking amazing here surrounded by all these gorgeous guys – and a black tux is what works best on her (vs. gowns for the other ladies)

• Iva February 5, 2014 at 17:15 #

9. Saumya February 5, 2014 at 16:44 #

Lupita looks amazing. Correct me if I’m mistaken, but isn’t her gown the same one worn by Diane Kruger during Cannes festival a few yrs ago? I think it’s Calvin Klein.

10. Cássia February 5, 2014 at 17:13 #

Stunning Lupita! Love this cover!

11. petra February 5, 2014 at 18:17 #

I love the addition of Lea Seydoux! Finally, Hollywood takes notice of the talented non-english speaker actors! I’d love this cover even more if it had Daniel Bruhl on it – even more diversity!

• SkirtTheIssue February 5, 2014 at 21:42 #

Agree x10000 (on the addition of Lea and the wishful thinking about Daniel Bruhl! Was so disappointed when he missed out on a Oscar nomination too…)

12. Yeliz February 5, 2014 at 18:23 #

Such a stunning cover. Lupita stands out amazingly.

13. Mandy February 5, 2014 at 21:03 #

A gorgeous cover, looks like Vanity Fair is taking a step in the right direction when it comes to diversity. I agree 100% that George should have been exchanged for Amy.

14. Pam February 5, 2014 at 21:54 #

George Clooney was also a writer and Executive producer on GRAVITY. He was a producer for AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY. He also wrote, directed and stars in THE MONUMENTS MEN, which comes out this week so his cover spot is well timed. And as lovely and talented as Amy Adams is, I for one would much rather look at pictures of George Clooney.

15. sara February 5, 2014 at 21:56 #

not lupita looking like an oscar statue.

16. kane February 5, 2014 at 23:15 #

Not particularly keen on Lupita styled like the statue itself, but she’s the only one who looks normal and unaffected.

17. Sharon February 5, 2014 at 23:48 #

Julia is my #1 favorite here. The lady’s still got that great smile and those long Pretty Woman legs. Lupita is beautiful as always, but I think it’s ironic that Lea Seydoux in an almost-not-there dress is posing under the “Boob Tape” headline.

18. cherrysoftness February 6, 2014 at 01:33 #

Lea seems so out of place, almost like they took her photo in a separate room and added her in – her facial expression and pose, her outfit, her color scheme, plus the way there’s an awkward empty space beside her – I don’t understand why’d they do that.

• Amanda February 6, 2014 at 14:53 #

I almost didn’t see her perched on there at the end!

19. Nat39 February 6, 2014 at 04:15 #

Lupita front and centre, certanly stands out instantly looking impressive in her gown, I’ve been having a feeling she is going to wear gold at Oscars. But my eyes are on Jared Leto here with his intensely mysterious stare.