03.02.14

Miley Cyrus for W Magazine March 2014

0314-1042x1354

Miley Cyrus is laid bare and unrecognisable for W Magazine’s March 2014 issue, shot by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott, wearing nothing but a selection of rings and a pout.

The rest of her editorial sees her just a bit more covered up, sporting a Yoncé wet-look blonde lob (long bob) and wearing Alexander McQueen, the same leather Balmain jumpsuit we’ve already seen on Rihanna.

Interviewed by Ronan Farrow, Woody Allen’s biological son, the singer discusses her new image as a way of breaking out of the ‘pretty girl’ mould, her parents, and the criticisms of her performances.

Read more over at WMagazine.com or read the extracts below.

On the media in 2014: “I think with, like, Instagram, Twitter, whatever, everyone is a paparazzi now. How scary is that? Like, you’re never safe. Even ordinary people, just think they can, like, talk about you like they know you. Especially because I grew up in it, and like you grew up in it, too, there’s a sense of entitlement.”

On her parents: “I never had, like, a nanny that took care of me. My mom always fed me breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My dad, like, he’s the most trusting human in the world. He trusts everybody, basically, until they fu*k him over. And my mom, too, holds no grudges. She’ll let someone, like, fu*k her over twice, and then she’ll let it go, and then she kind of forgets about it. And I used to be like that. And now I just keep it in the back of my mind.”

On all her criticism: “I don’t give a sh*t. I’m not Disney, where they have, like, an Asian girl, a black girl, and a white girl, to be politically correct, and, like, everyone has bright-colored T-shirts. You know, it’s like, I’m not making any kind of statement. Anyone that hates on you is always below you, because they’re just jealous of what you have.”

Credit: W Magazine

Emmanuelle Chriqui In Lela Rose - 3rd Annual NFL Honors

Emmanuelle Chriqui In Lela Rose – 3rd Annual NFL Honors

Rihanna In Acne Studios - LAX

Rihanna In Acne Studios – LAX

27 Responses to Miley Cyrus for W Magazine March 2014

1. Christine February 3, 2014 at 18:14 #

She looks beyond recognition! Holy cow. At first I thought this was lady gaga

• Abhilasha February 3, 2014 at 18:21 #

Exactly my thought! #smh

• cherrysoftness February 4, 2014 at 01:45 #

I thought the cover was Ke$ha and didn’t think anything of it, it was a bit jarring when my eye caught her name.

2. Maria February 3, 2014 at 18:22 #

Putting aside my dislike for her, if this were a model I’d think they were gorgeous. So they’re gorgeous. (Ronan Farrow is Frank Sinatra’s kid… no chance he’s Woody Allen’s.)

• KC February 5, 2014 at 03:33 #

Yep, that’s what I scrolled down to say (about Ronan Farrow)!

3. NooG February 3, 2014 at 18:26 #

I have a soft spot for Miley. Bias aside, she looks incredible. One of my favorite magazine covers in a really, really long time.

4. Sophy February 3, 2014 at 18:40 #

She is unrecognizable- looks like Courtney Love

5. Rebecca Z February 3, 2014 at 18:50 #

Hoping she will grow up one day. No one else can exploit here–she’d too busy doing it herself.

6. chisyelda February 3, 2014 at 18:52 #

Like,omg,like,can’t she like,stop saying like?

• Sabrina February 3, 2014 at 23:06 #

I was thinking the exact same thing! Why wasn’t her reply edited?

7. Alina February 3, 2014 at 18:54 #

Just to be in tune with her interview – “I, like, really dislike the photos”….

8. Megha February 3, 2014 at 20:35 #

If I strain my eyes hard enough I can just about tell that’s Miley Cyrus on the cover…but in the other pictures (especially the McQueen) there is NO WAY she is recognizable. I can’t imagine that’s just makeup…?! what were the photoshoppers thinking?

9. Maggi February 3, 2014 at 21:04 #

I’d think Ronan would do better than interview someone like miley. Especially because she’s like, so mature. Because if they don’t like you it’s because they are jealous of you. Girl, it’s time to grow up.

10. Nat39 February 3, 2014 at 21:11 #

Lose the pout, the cheap overload of jewellery and make her recognizable, and I’m ok with the cover shot. The oher 2 are bad. If that’s her way of making a statement and showing she doesn’t ‘give a sh*t’, I’m not impressed.

• Nat39 February 3, 2014 at 21:55 #

…she just showed me (esp. with that interview) how immature she actually is.

• gabis February 4, 2014 at 01:57 #

Agree about her immaturity. But in regards to the pictures in spite of the clear OTTness and esp. nudity- which is getting really tiresome given it’s her only instrument to make a statement apparently-I actually think those are probably some of the best shots of her entire career.

11. Fiona - Perth February 3, 2014 at 22:56 #

Interesting what bleaching your eyebrows does to your face! I don’t really like the pictures but I see what they were going for. It is all a bit expected now, and she sounds very disillusioned and a bit of a brat – I don’t dislike her actions because I’m jealous of her that’s for sure.

12. gabis February 4, 2014 at 01:59 #

and she sounds very disillusioned and a bit of a brat – I don’t dislike her actions because I’m jealous of her that’s for sure. – couldn’t agree more.

13. Valissa February 4, 2014 at 03:10 #

I don’t hate the photos but if she’s going to insist on acting/looking like an adult, I wish she would start talking like one. Those responses are horrible and just prove how young and immature she is.

• dee February 4, 2014 at 13:59 #

I agree.

14. Zissou February 4, 2014 at 09:39 #

I am getting a Lara Stone feel from this: I quite enjoy it.

15. Tata Senique February 4, 2014 at 13:25 #

Pictures are great. Responses are awful. Can she see that she’s babbling like a baby? like like like. So jarring

16. Vera February 4, 2014 at 14:10 #

I don’t buy the “you don’t like me/what I do because you are jealous of me” card, for sure. But I can see where she got it: it is a standard response when people around somebody is mean just because he/she is different. What saddens me is that Miley has shown us that too much people still judge a person’s character because the amount of clothes that person wears. Miley is just young and has an terrible sense of style: this is not enough to know if she is a bad/inmoral person (no: a performance is not enough either, it is not real).

17. lila February 4, 2014 at 16:30 #

Those are very mature unlike Miley Cyrus. What saddens me is knowing she can’t understand the concept of beauty and art within that photoshoot. Most likely for her it’s just another way to appear half naked and “shock” society. Her answers are beyond ridiculous. She wants to be recognized as an adult woman but acts and speaks like a girl.

18. Kathy February 5, 2014 at 00:57 #

The overload of clunky jewelry cheapens the cover. If it weren’t Miley Cyrus, I would be intrigued by the image but her presence is so irritating to me. She sounds incredibly childish in the interview (as expected). Her comment about the diversity of Disney is just plain idiotic. She could learn a thing or two about respecting other races. And why is she so concerned about people commenting on celebrities on social media if she claims she thinks they’re “just jealous”?

19. KC February 5, 2014 at 03:32 #

Yeahhh, Ronan is definitely Frank’s, not Woody’s. You can write that one in stone now. ;)

20. k6wing February 6, 2014 at 02:28 #

The way she talks is so annoying