19.01.14

Lupita Nyong’o In Gucci – 2014 SAG Awards

Lupita Nyong'o In Gucci - 2014 SAG Awards

Lupita Nyong’o continued her impressive style streak at the 2014 SAG Awards on Saturday (January 18) at The Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California.

With every look seemingly better than the next, the ’12 Years a Slave’ star completely blew me away in a one-of-a-kind Gucci stunner with a subtle train, which thankfully received even more stage time, given her outstanding supporting actress win.

Not only was the turquoise colour completely earth-shattering, the silk crepe column gown’s gold-and-turquoise, floral-embroidered straps were absolute artistry.

On the red carpet, Lupita said she fell in love with the flowers and the nature aspect of the design—and rightfully so.

The perfection continued with delicate Fred Leighton jewels that complemented, rather than cluttered, the dress, along with a gorgeous makeup look that included striking teal and pink eye shadow and a magenta lip.

Were you as enamoured with this entrance as I?

Credit: Getty

Claire Danes In Vionnet - 2014 SAG Awards

Claire Danes In Vionnet – 2014 SAG Awards

Jennifer Garner In Max Mara – 2014 SAG Awards

Jennifer Garner In Max Mara – 2014 SAG Awards

76 Responses to Lupita Nyong’o In Gucci – 2014 SAG Awards

1. Christine January 19, 2014 at 02:48 #

She is my best dressed of the night followed by Amy. This is BDOTW and even BDOTY worthy. Love the dress and love the color. DIVINE!

P.s I want her arms. So fit!

• Nat January 19, 2014 at 03:04 #

I AGREE OMG THIS IS PERFECTION

• Mm January 19, 2014 at 07:51 #

So beautiful, love the changing hair. The makeup, everything is perfect

2. Prudence January 19, 2014 at 02:49 #

OMGGGG I CANNOT!!! THIS WOMAN IS GOING TO MAKE MY HEART STOP!!!! THAT COLOR!THAT MAKEUP! SHE IS ON A LEVEL ABOVE ALLL OF HOLLYWOOD AT THIS POINT.

• SilentVisitor January 19, 2014 at 03:01 #

+1. I have to admit that I am watching the awards season for her.

• Serenity January 19, 2014 at 05:48 #

+2 to your ALL CAPS! I feel the same way. This is my first BDOTY contender. Amazed.

• Sally January 19, 2014 at 16:25 #

3. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) January 19, 2014 at 02:49 #

I literally gasped!!! Magnificent, coming and going and she is so poised and beautiful. WoWza!!!

• Yeliz January 19, 2014 at 10:50 #

ITA! My jaw dropped when I saw this breathtaking look. I love, love, love it. Without a doubt the best dressed again and a strong BDOTY contender IMO.

4. AG January 19, 2014 at 02:50 #

Breathtakingly beautiful! What a spectacular dress. Excited to see what she’ll wear at the Oscar’s.

5. Susan N. January 19, 2014 at 02:51 #

Best dressed of the night, hands down. Is it too soon to nominate this look for BDOTY? It’s THAT good. I’m glad that she won too!

• Serenity January 19, 2014 at 05:49 #

Absolutely not! (Too soon)

• Anj January 19, 2014 at 06:46 #

I agree. She is definitely best dressed at this event!

6. Xiomalys Crespo January 19, 2014 at 02:51 #

The awkward hair-lenght does not work for me, but I assume she’s growing an afro for the Oscars. This girl came to kill.

Nonetheless, she looks stunning.

7. sharizal_samah January 19, 2014 at 02:52 #

was waiting for ur commentary for this like forever and indeed she looked stunning, H2T!

8. Jess January 19, 2014 at 02:52 #

She’s completely stunning – the color, the fit, everything was perfect. I don’t know how she’ll possibly top this for the Oscars, but I can’t wait to see it!

9. Milla B. January 19, 2014 at 02:53 #

OMG! She looks divine.

10. gayle January 19, 2014 at 02:53 #

The dress, the makeup… she is just flawless.

11. Fanny January 19, 2014 at 02:54 #

Love love love!!!
    The turquoise, the make-up, the HAIR! BDOTY nominee

12. amy January 19, 2014 at 02:55 #

best look of the awards season so far. that color! this girl is in to get noticed and she’s doing it right. virtual kudos for her stylist.

13. Nat39 January 19, 2014 at 03:00 #

The colour is showstopping, the silhouette is heavenly and the floral emroidery is a touch of art. Her makeup complements the look amazingly. Outstanding once again. She is on fire.

14. jessicamarantelli January 19, 2014 at 03:01 #

Breathtaking….colour, cut, fit and styling are all perfect. And for the floral neckline, well it is just amazing. Simply put this is the most amazing entrance to the big stage I have seen in a long time. Best dressed for me (as much as I am biased towards Jennifer Lawrence).

• jessicamarantelli January 19, 2014 at 03:02 #

I have to add that I really love it when darker skin tones go bold on the makeup colour palette.

15. Derro January 19, 2014 at 03:12 #

Stunning color. Not enamored by the neckline details though. Still my #2 bet dressed after JLaw.

16. Fromchi-town January 19, 2014 at 03:16 #

OMG…. Jaw dropped to the floor. Did not think anybody could top Amy Adams… But this woman is a goddess. That color on her skin is divine. The fit is perfection. Love love love it.

17. lauren January 19, 2014 at 03:18 #

So in love with her red carpet style. She has consecutively knocked it out of the park. That turquoise gown on her skin tone is incredible. Everything about this and her is gorgeous.

18. Kathy January 19, 2014 at 03:23 #

Beautiful. Everything about the dress fits her perfectly…the color, silhouette, embellishments. Lupita always looks stunning, and it just keeps getting better and better with her.

19. dee January 19, 2014 at 03:42 #

This is what I’ve been waiting for. Something interesting, eye catching and gorgeous. Didn’t think her golden globes or critics choice looks were amazing but this breathtaking.

20. justme January 19, 2014 at 03:44 #

Her love for bold colours warms my heart. She looks sublime.
    My favourite of the night.

21. SilentVisitor January 19, 2014 at 03:47 #

Will she be able to top this at the oscars?

• tori January 19, 2014 at 22:07 #

That’s what I was thinking.

22. CreoleLady January 19, 2014 at 03:49 #

Goddess. So petite yet stands so tall. Poise, posture, presence — not to mention that fab figure and brilliant smile. Wonderful.

• Godiva January 19, 2014 at 04:46 #

I thought the same thing! I could not believe she is only 5’5″. I thought she was much, MUCH taller. Truly statuesque and my new fashion idol.

• SilentVisitor January 19, 2014 at 04:53 #

5’5″ is not that petite….I think it is slightly above average in the US

• Serenity January 19, 2014 at 05:51 #

5’7″ is average.

• SilentVisitor January 19, 2014 at 06:00 #

I was talking about the US. The average US female height is 5’4″ not 5’7″

• Serenity January 19, 2014 at 15:02 #

Absolutely, you’re right. Wow, that’s a lot shorter than I thought.

23. Tracy January 19, 2014 at 04:11 #

OH MY GOD THAT COLOUR. I am soooooo in love. She is becoming one of my absolute favourites. I totally swooned over this look.

24. snowlion January 19, 2014 at 04:57 #

Oh wooowww *breathless*

25. kelly January 19, 2014 at 04:59 #

STUNNING. she is a star in the truest sense of the word. a well deserved win tonight- can’t wait to see what she pulls out fashion wise for the academy awards.
    NO ONE IS ON HER LEVEL.

26. AnnaP January 19, 2014 at 05:05 #

How can a woman look so breathtakingly beautiful? Sorry but this has brought tears to my eyes. Absolute perfection!

27. noo January 19, 2014 at 05:15 #

my first BDOTY candidate. Damn this is good on so many different levels.

28. Dean January 19, 2014 at 05:18 #

Perfection head to toe! She looks stunning. The colour of the gown and the styling. So good. BDOTY worthy, for sure!

29. Fiona - Perth January 19, 2014 at 05:26 #

Wow wow wow

30. Alina January 19, 2014 at 05:32 #

And… SHE DID IT AGAIN! Best dressed at this event, hands down. Also… all I can think about right now are Beyonce’s lyrics: “I woke up like this. We flawless.”

31. easyBlake January 19, 2014 at 07:33 #

I don’t usually comment on Lupita posts, because I think she’s a great canvas – She’s quite slim and narrow in proportions, her skin is smooth and even (kudos to the glam team) and a nice tone for contrast or complementing, so most things look nice on her and she’s doesn’t take fashion risks with her choices.

But THIS. IS. SO. GORGEOUS!! Love. Just . . . love.

32. Elise January 19, 2014 at 08:19 #

Absolutely gorgeous, the gown is outstanding. One question about the hair: it’s a wig, isn’t it? Yesterday she didn’t have such amount of hair

33. crispy January 19, 2014 at 09:26 #

I love the color, so bold and striking against her skin tone. She’s hitting out of the park this awards season. :)

34. Fiona-Brasil January 19, 2014 at 09:29 #

For the first time in life I don’t like Lupita.The color of the dress is beautiful on her but those flowers, the hair, the make up, I am sorry, no!

• sara January 21, 2014 at 19:17 #

I thought I was crazy when I began reading these comments… I usually LOVE Lupita, and like another commenter said, most things usually look great on her being a gorgeous canvas, sort of how I see Cate. However, here, the flowers look awful (at least in the pictures). They look like cheap silk flowers my grandmother bought from Michaels on sale because she couldn’t pass them up. The makeup is also TOO matchy-matchy. Turquoise/teal on the dress with the flowers so close to the neckline with the same shadow is overwhelming. Like I said, I love her but this look is not her best and definitely not BDOTY-worthy as some have said.

35. TL January 19, 2014 at 09:37 #

How can she look flawless and WOW us every single time? Love love and love it.

36. Charlotte January 19, 2014 at 10:35 #

I might be the only one, but I really don’t like this look. The dress is extremely dated and the make up is too much.
    It’s a miss for me.

• sara January 21, 2014 at 19:17 #

agreed!

37. Zerina January 19, 2014 at 11:44 #

I almost died when I saw it. I haven’t seen something so beautiful ever. Divine.

38. evil britta January 19, 2014 at 11:54 #

Jaw dropping! So good.

39. Giada January 19, 2014 at 12:03 #

Wow! Absolutely stunning!

40. Jess2 January 19, 2014 at 13:02 #

Perfection personified. There are no words to describe how much I love this look with the unbelievable colour and this girl in general. Can’t stop looking at this, it is definitely topping my BDOTY list.

41. the ogre January 19, 2014 at 13:22 #

She has spoilt us all with her looks! This is just another one of them! What amazes me is the confidence with which she does it all! That colour is a risk even I wouldn’t take because I would never be confident enough! Those details on the neckline are exquisite and she raises the bar with experimental make up every time! I applaud her for sheer bravado when it comes to fashion. This and her divine Calvin Klein are already on BDOTY list! Absolutely phenomenal even though in my list she narrowly misses out on the top spot and only because Amy Adams’ look is just too good!

42. Noemi January 19, 2014 at 13:24 #

This is perfect, the dress is very beautiful, and I love the matching eyeshadow. I’m really looking forward to see what she’s going to wear for the Oscars.

43. Markness January 19, 2014 at 13:46 #

While everyone’s jaw is dropping, I’m not. I think this is ok? Why? Because it reminds me SOOOO MUCH of Katy Perry’s Grammy Gucci boobilicious gown. It’s my fault as well. I want Lupita to be like Diane Kruger or Cate Blanchett who is in a different wavelength of red carpet fashion. Her Golden Globes and this dress are reminiscent of past dresses so her Critics Choice Calvin is still my fave of all. Hoping she would make her own fashion moment. If you’re going to look at it, they’re all the same form fitting dresses in exuberant colors. It’s just like Sofia Vergara right? I know I’m in the minority but I’m not saying she doesn’t look good. It’s just that I’m expecting more.

44. Pene January 19, 2014 at 15:05 #

This look is amazing. I have disagreed without most of her looks but i love this

45. kane January 19, 2014 at 15:28 #

And another event and week owned by Lupita. Hands down. Not crazy about the hair, but the colour and the delicacy of the gown are breathtaking indeed.

46. Susan January 19, 2014 at 15:32 #

Wow.

47. Camille January 19, 2014 at 16:20 #

She is a dream. Her gorgeous smile, her trim little figure, her posture, her poise and week after week she wears some of the most gorgeous gowns and outfits to perfection. This is a showstopper. This luscious column of vivid turquoise, that skims her and flows about her, topped with the intricate floral work that is just right, not too much or too gaudy, but just perfect to frame her smiling, beautiful face. Wow. Her stylist deserves her own award for showcasing Lupita so beautifully. BD of the night.

48. Pedro January 19, 2014 at 16:21 #

OH MY GOD!
    Her best look ever! BDOTY

49. Ethony January 19, 2014 at 16:44 #

Flawless, totally flawless. My breathe caught when I saw her. Incredible.

50. ramsay January 19, 2014 at 18:26 #

That color against her skin is perfection
    What Lupita does best actually is wear color and all dresses look better on her because she has such an amazing skin tone
    I do not think we would have been as amazed by this dress had it been worn by someone else but Lupita has a way of elevating any look
    And yes, I prefer her hair like she had it a couple of days ago – but this hairdo is fine
    It seems to me that a typical Lupita dress is column, one tone, more likely to be in a bright color, minimalistic but with a twist (i.e. the cape with the simple red dress at the GG, the cut-outs in the simple white dress at the Critics’ Choice Awards, the embellishments at the top of the simple green dress at SAG)
    And that is doing wonders – actually she is by most accounts really working the red carpet
    And it had to be said that consensus is probably due to a certain lack of sartorial risks this year (when last year the approach seemed riskier e.g. the white Prada, the asymmetric Lanvin, the shiny Chanel suit etc.) – which is not necessarily a bad thing – a polished look can certainly be great – it has been great so far for her
    Maybe it’s not the riskiest, or arduous route but it’s a fine, respectable one, definitely better than a too much glitter, ill fitted dresses approach IMO
    This route has served well a number of Hollywood ladies including some that have become fashion icons (e.g. Kidman)
    Still when most seem to be going head over heels for her, I seem to be getting over this phase (which I had last year) – and I find her recent looks to be too vanilla

51. Larissa January 19, 2014 at 18:31 #

OMG!!! Too much perfection too handle!! How am I supposed to pay attention to other looks when Lupita keeps stealing the spotlight with such breathtaking gowns?? Just imagine what she’ll wear at the Oscars!! BDOTW for sure and BDOTY contender for me.

52. Jai January 19, 2014 at 21:10 #

The more I see this the less I like it. There’s something vaguely cheap looking about it, it feels derivative and the whole thing with the shoes and eye shadow is way too matchey-matchey. And matchey-matchey in a colour i don’t even particularly like to begin with.

53. Joy January 20, 2014 at 00:36 #

BDOTY contender OBVIOUSLY!!! Lupita is absolutely amazing. She is owning this award season. I was unsure about the makeup at first, but I think it’s risky and wonderful. I don’t find it to be matchy, for me it doesn’t look like the same color but more of a contrast. I will remember her award season run forever. You go Lupita!

54. gabis January 20, 2014 at 14:19 #

I like the dress but I think the makeup should’ve been toned down. Also given the dress already has this striking, attention grabber floral embroidery her accessories even though very small feel rather unnecessary.

55. Carrie January 20, 2014 at 15:23 #

Days later, and I still can’t get over this. Perfection!

• EmmaWoodhouse January 20, 2014 at 17:49 #

+1 I am just in awe every time I look at this. That color is a dream, she is gorgeous, (even to carry off such strong and controversial makeup) and the style and neckline especially of the dress are all kinds of beautiful. BDOTY.

• SilentVisitor January 20, 2014 at 18:04 #

• Jess2 January 21, 2014 at 13:14 #

+3 – I just keep coming back

56. Miss H January 20, 2014 at 21:54 #

I actually gasped when I saw this! She looks A.MAZ.ING!!! Love the colour and the make up. I think I have my first contender for BDOTY =)