17.01.14

Julia Roberts In Juan Carlos Obando – 2014 Critics’ Choice Movie Awards

Julia Roberts In Juan Carlos Obando - 2014 Critics' Choice Movie Awards

Julia Roberts attended the 19th Annual Critics’ Choice Movie Awards held at Barker Hangar on Thursday (January 16) in Santa Monica.

I’ve never been a fan of sunglasses on the red carpet, but on this occasion, my biggest objection is her Juan Carlos Obando gown.

Julia had been on such a great roll lately, finally regaining her red carpet mojo, so this is disappointing.

Even though most of you disliked her Dolce & Gabbana Golden Globes gown, I kind of liked it; this, I don’t like.

All in all, it’s too frumpy, not flattering, and way too long.

A black Barbara Bui python baguette clutch from the Spring 2014 rounded out this disastrous look.

Credit: Getty

Juliette Lewis In Zac Posen - 2014 Critics' Choice Movie Awards

Juliette Lewis In Zac Posen – 2014 Critics’ Choice Movie Awards

Matthew McConaughey In Lanvin & Camila Alves In Paule Ka - 2014 Critics' Choice Movie Awards

Matthew McConaughey In Lanvin & Camila Alves In Paule Ka – 2014 Critics’ Choice Movie Awards

20 Responses to Julia Roberts In Juan Carlos Obando – 2014 Critics’ Choice Movie Awards

1. Christine January 17, 2014 at 02:26 #

She looks ridic with them sunglasses on LOL. But wow, Julia. The look apart from the glasses is actually pretty. A nice change of pace!

2. Nat39 January 17, 2014 at 02:29 #

Frumpy is the right word, and the sunglasses are just a NO. What was she thinking?? A disaster, indeed.

3. Serenity January 17, 2014 at 02:29 #

IDK, I actually like this. It’s a little bit long, but not by much, and it has a bit of a train which looks great when she’s walking, (as all Obando dresses do). It fits her really welll, and I think the sunglasses are a cute, quirky touch. Meryl had them on too, and the two of them appeared to be having so much fun on the red carpet. I like this so much more than her Globes dress.

• Leti January 17, 2014 at 12:50 #

ITA. This is a huge improvement over her globes dress, and while it could have used a belt, I’ll take it.

4. moonbeam January 17, 2014 at 02:41 #

IMO Julia looks like she doesn’t know what she’s doing on the red carpet. Her choices are just odd and sometimes it also looks like she’s just given up.

5. Prudence January 17, 2014 at 02:46 #

IT IS NOT THAT SUNNY JULIA! She looks ridiculous, glasses and dress.

6. SilentVisitor January 17, 2014 at 03:22 #

I kind of like her look minus the glasses. I think she looks OK

• Lashae January 17, 2014 at 04:25 #

ia. Its not anything spectacular but its okay especially for these awards.

7. Alina January 17, 2014 at 05:20 #

I can’t even focus on the dress because all I see are those glasses.

8. Tess January 17, 2014 at 07:42 #

This is beyond tragic!

9. kane January 17, 2014 at 08:52 #

Makes me laugh. Oh, Julia.

10. Charlotte January 17, 2014 at 09:04 #

I think the dress looks great on her but the sunglasses are ridiculous.

11. Yeliz January 17, 2014 at 09:07 #

I have no idea what in the world made her wear those glasses, because I actually like this look apart from them.

12. Noemi January 17, 2014 at 11:02 #

It’s California, it’s sunny but sunglasses on a red carpet? No. Unless you have a sty or something like that.
    Said that, the print of the dress is unflattering, she looks pregnant.

13. Carrie January 17, 2014 at 14:40 #

What in the world is going on with the sunglasses?? Such a distraction.

14. Heather January 17, 2014 at 16:10 #

I think different styling would have made a HUGE difference! If she’d worn her hair in an updo, with a red lip and nails, this could have looked really elegant on Julia.

15. Andrea January 17, 2014 at 16:24 #

The dress is great, the glasses no.

16. the ogre January 17, 2014 at 17:17 #

Oh dear. Minus those sunglasses I actually like this dress on her. Suits her personality and all. But sunglasses???!! I’m sorry but only Robert Downey Jr. can wear glares on the red carpet and look cool. No one else.

17. Anne Gallagher January 17, 2014 at 21:38 #

I dislike the fabric used for this dress. It looks like the type of fabric they used for drapes in the sixties. So this is a no for me.

18. Marilyn M. January 21, 2014 at 00:36 #

I did not see the red carpet at the Critics Choice Awards. When I did check out the show I saw this frumpy lady with a sloppy hairstyle sitting near the stage. I kept trying to focus and see whose mother/sister/aunt with incredibly bad taste this could be. Found out later it was Julia Roberts. No saving grace here-just incredibly bad taste.