Cate Blanchett In Lanvin – 2014 Critics’ Choice Movie Awards

Cate Blanchett In Lanvin - 2014 Critics' Choice Movie Awards

Cate Blanchett looked regal, as always, attending the 19th Annual Critics’ Choice Movie Awards held at Barker Hangar on Thursday (January 16) in Santa Monica.

The Best Actress nominee for ‘Blue Jasmine’ wore a head-to-toe Lanvin Pre- 2014 look consisting of a bottle green long stretch crêpe short-sleeve dress kept contemporary with a wide black leather belt with crystal detailing, which she styled with black suede sandals with lacquer stiletto heels and a black Roger Vivier ‘Cerniera’ clutch.

To some, this may come off as just a t-shirt maxi dress, but thanks to the styling, the hypnotic colour against her pale skin, those sleek blonde locks, and the orange lip, this is yet another stunning look from Cate.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Allison Williams In Dolce & Gabbana - Museum Of The Moving Image Honors Richard Plepler & Charlie Rose

Allison Williams In Dolce & Gabbana – Museum Of The Moving Image Honors Richard Plepler & Charlie Rose

Christina Applegate In Marchesa - 2014 Critics' Choice Movie Awards

Christina Applegate In Marchesa – 2014 Critics’ Choice Movie Awards

32 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Lanvin – 2014 Critics’ Choice Movie Awards

1. Christine January 17, 2014 at 03:02 #

The red lippie really live up this look. Glad she added a belt!

2. Prudence January 17, 2014 at 03:07 #

im sorry FC but what styling do you speak of?? that awful belt?? Yes she was once great but she no longer is. This outfit is tragic, she essentially belted a tent and threw on a nice lip color.

3. Nat39 January 17, 2014 at 03:10 #

Drab, boring, uninspired, forgettable. I’m disappointed. Do love that amazing orange lippie livening up the look and her hair is beautiful. But from the neck down – can’t help but feel underwhelmed.

• SilentVisitor January 17, 2014 at 03:18 #

+1.

• amy January 17, 2014 at 03:33 #

agree

• Serenity January 17, 2014 at 04:12 #

+3. Very disappointing, indeed.

4. Alex January 17, 2014 at 03:43 #

Flawless as always. She can do no wrong!

5. Rachel January 17, 2014 at 03:46 #

She looks beautiful. Let the woman be comfortable one damn night. Imagine the difficulty and effort of wearing couture so well so often?

6. Valissa January 17, 2014 at 05:13 #

I think essentially some might say that it’s nothing but a t-shirt dress, but IMO Cate makes everything look regal. It’s the way she carries herself…the woman is all class!
    I especially love her hair and makeup here!

• jas January 17, 2014 at 05:19 #

I agree! She may look a bit more casual than usual, but the colour is fantastic on her and I like that she kept the look quite simple and fuss-free.

• jo January 17, 2014 at 10:08 #

+1 couldn’t agree more

7. Alina January 17, 2014 at 05:27 #

I think it works for her. The colour is divine and the lip colour was a wise choice.

8. Elise January 17, 2014 at 06:03 #

She manages to make the look work , but come on, the dress is ugly and Sandras’s dress is not an exemption. IMO lanvin is very overrated at least with AE as designer.

9. AG January 17, 2014 at 07:10 #

Don’t understand the negative reaction to this look. Cate looks fantastic here! I love the addition of the belt and the colour.

10. Caro Chanel January 17, 2014 at 07:39 #

I don’t like this. The dress is awful and the hair is boring. I really love Cate as an actress and I find her very beautiful, but I don’t think she’s some kind of fashion Goddess. She makes too many awful choices. What I do acknowledge is that she’s not afraid of trying something new. That’s great, really, but it doesn’t mean she can’t do no wrong.

11. kane January 17, 2014 at 08:48 #

I find this bland.

12. Yeliz January 17, 2014 at 09:14 #

Nothing got me excited about this look, I just don’t like it.

13. lin January 17, 2014 at 10:02 #

She’s chosen to be comfortable, but she deserves a night off occasionally.

14. Anne Gallagher January 17, 2014 at 10:33 #

I like the fact she took a chance with a dress that is not your typical red carpet fare. I love the dark green hue of the dress, and the belt is a good touch. Love the orange lips — it is such a hard shade to pull off. I am happy to see the orange shade in a season awash in pink lipstick.

15. Nat January 17, 2014 at 10:34 #

I too don’t get all the negativity. To me it’s not a boring look at all – it’s the confidence with which she wears something so minimal (and yet so much more interesting than all the super-boring siren dresses) that makes it great for me. and a t-shirt dress on the red carpet is more original than soo many other styles.

• gabis January 17, 2014 at 12:56 #

I agree. I think it’s a great look. Minimalism at its best and she pulls it off beautifully.

16. the ogre January 17, 2014 at 13:30 #

I’m sorry but I don’t like that belt at all. She looks fantastic in this dress but only because she’s super confident. I find that her hair and make up also contribute to making this dress work which it wouldn’t have otherwise. Nothing groundbreaking but she’s allowed time out once in a while I guess. Also I’m sick and tired of seeing overdressed celebrities for each and every occasion.

17. Rouel January 17, 2014 at 13:54 #

I can’t understand all the hate. It’s not an epic look but she still looks quite graceful in it(although around the belt looks a little weird). Not all occasions need an Elie Saab dress.

18. Anne January 17, 2014 at 13:55 #

I’m underwhelmed. The color and her coral lip, I love. The dress is a snoozer.

19. dee January 17, 2014 at 13:57 #

This is boring and unflattering. I love Cate but this isn’t wokring for me.

20. pipsqueak January 17, 2014 at 14:23 #

This is a matronly look – thumbs down. I think Cate, the queen of the red carpet, has moved on, and so have the design houses that supply clothes perhaps. But I must say, when she was up on stage at the Globes delivering her acceptance speech, I thought “the great Cate is still there, maybe not sartorially, but her wit, grace and intelligence is eternal.”

21. Maria January 17, 2014 at 14:45 #

Fantastic in its simplicity and an amazing lip color!

22. Carrie January 17, 2014 at 14:49 #

Effortlessly cool.

23. Ramsay January 17, 2014 at 14:51 #

Good change of pace
    She is mixing it up
    Definitely very chic and event appropriate (it’s only the Critics Choice awards)
    That red/orange lip is everything
    Best dressed IMO

24. Tatiana January 17, 2014 at 18:39 #

She looks really great and appropiated considering this awards are held at an airplane hanger. I love her make up and her accesories, very effortless an chic. My favorite of the night as she did not overdressed as mane others did.

25. Ariana January 17, 2014 at 19:12 #

I think Cate looked gorgeous in ths dress. It may not be spectacular like her Prabal Gurung and Armani ones but it looks very stylish.

26. Jess2 January 18, 2014 at 03:47 #

Nothing earth shattering but it is effortless and well put together, the styling really makes a difference.