Cate Blanchett In Antonio Berardi – New York Film Critics Circle Awards

Cate Blanchett In Antonio Berardi - New York Film Critics Circle Awards

Cate Blanchett attended the 79th annual New York Film Critics Circle Awards held at The Edison Ballroom on Monday (January 6) in New York City.

The actress wore a silver Antonio Berardi Pre-Fall 2014 dress with a fitted waist and flared skirt with a rise-and-fall hemline featuring a deep-red lining, which she wore with a bold-shouldered cropped jacket which differed from the look book.

The look almost has a medieval-period quality to it, which isn’t an easy look to pull off, but there is no question that the queen does so with great aplomb.

Cate styled the look with Van Cleef & Arpels jewels and black Christian Louboutin pumps.

My only wish here is that she’d considered the lining of the dress and opted for red shoes as pictured on the model.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Zendaya Coleman In Peter Pilotto - Pre-BET Awards Dinner

Zendaya Coleman In Peter Pilotto – Pre-BET Awards Dinner

Lindsay Lohan In Balmain - 2nd Sohu Fashion Achievement Awards

Lindsay Lohan In Balmain – 2nd Sohu Fashion Achievement Awards

35 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Antonio Berardi – New York Film Critics Circle Awards

1. Iva January 7, 2014 at 09:27 #

Red shoes would have been better.
    Still, I kinda like this.

• Christine January 7, 2014 at 11:47 #

Me too! She looks great. She made it work.

2. DorianGray January 7, 2014 at 09:37 #

The Queen is back. It would be an amazing Award Season with her on the red carpet.

3. CreoleLady January 7, 2014 at 09:46 #

I like from the waist up. Her shoe game needs work. I don’t understand it. Rise and fall hemlines put the spotlight on the shoe. That flounce at the bottom looks fabulous on the model (who admittedly has the advantage of being in motion) but a bit frumpy on Blanchett.

• jessicamarantelli January 10, 2014 at 01:43 #

its cut a little longer on cate. I dont think its all to do with the motion and the height of the model but that it had been modified.

still love it none the less

4. Alex January 7, 2014 at 09:51 #

Regal! I am so excited about awards season!

5. Alina January 7, 2014 at 10:02 #

I don’t mind the shoes because they blend into the carpet, but red shoes would have taken this look to another level. All in all, she looks polished and regal. Can’t wait for her looks at the big shows!

6. Lisa January 7, 2014 at 11:01 #

I agree that she missed an opportunity to bring this look to an incredible level with red shoes.

7. caroline January 7, 2014 at 12:04 #

That is a miss for me. The shoes are wrong, the shoulder part of the dress don’t favor her at all

• Yeliz January 7, 2014 at 14:32 #

Agreed. This would’ve looked better without the jacket and with red shoes.

8. ValS January 7, 2014 at 13:03 #

The dress is amazing and Cate is wearing it well. The shoes are not bothering me at all because my focus is completely on the dress

9. Anne January 7, 2014 at 13:07 #

This look is so sophisticated, yet uber cool, too. The texture of the fabric is amazing. I love how the hair falls in a similar classic, but a little messy and wild in the back category. But, I totally agree that she needs a some help in the shoe department. A shade of red would have completed the look

10. Joseph January 7, 2014 at 13:11 #

It has been a while since I really loved a look from cate…lately I think she has been trying “too hard”…
    she can’t pull off this look, the model does it 10 times better

11. dee January 7, 2014 at 13:44 #

I don’t like the skirt part of the dress. It is too bottom heavy. I like everything waist up.

12. kane January 7, 2014 at 13:53 #

The bodice reminds me so much of her Elizabethan days. But how could she not have worn the red shoes with this? sadface.

13. gabis January 7, 2014 at 14:15 #

Cate looks gorgeous but with the exception of her hair and makeup I prefer everything else from the look book. The jacket, the shoes and the skirt length.

14. Tatiana January 7, 2014 at 15:34 #

She looks stunning and the dress is cool. It would been great if she had choosed red shoes but I think these look fine. Can’t wat to see what she wears to the Globes.

15. Ericka January 7, 2014 at 15:48 #

Love the pieces but it feels a bit costume-y to me. She looks good though, but needed better shoes.

16. Rebecca Z January 7, 2014 at 15:51 #

Totally agree on the shoes. And I want the skirt to have a little more volume like on the model. But it is striking and, as usual, she is ethereally beautiful.

17. Charlotte January 7, 2014 at 16:06 #

The pattern of the dress is so exquisite and lush, also the details in the back are gorgeous. She as usual makes it even more outstanding by just wearing it. My BDOTW alonside Léa Seydoux, very beautiful and different.

18. GRACE January 7, 2014 at 16:08 #

Perhaps the idea was for the shoe to be unexpectedly ‘lined’ in red (with the Louboutin red sole) as well…

• Serenity January 7, 2014 at 21:47 #

This was my thinking. I actually don’t mind the black patent stilettos with this, especially with the way the red sole picks up on the red lining in a subtle way, allowing the dress to shine. I love her choice of this jacket, the architectural details are so cool. I loved this collection, and am thrilled to see Queen Cate rocking it out as only she can. This is my BDOTW so far, and it would take something monumental to knock her off her throne.

• Dhppy January 8, 2014 at 05:06 #

Yes, I also thought she was opting to let the red soles do the talking. I love the way Blanchett can wear difficult pieces that other women would have difficulty pulling off. The only thing I don’t like is the arc of the seam across the bottom of the skirt. I think the bodice and the jacket are wonderful though.

19. Lisa January 7, 2014 at 17:02 #

Her face is just to perfect to be true and it outshines everything else. It is a difficult dress to pull off, but she is working the hell out of it. I specially love that the dress is season appropiate, something that is not common in celebrities these days.

• chryssa January 8, 2014 at 14:49 #

+1 always a favorite!

20. Nat39 January 7, 2014 at 17:16 #

Costumey and not very flattering, the shoes are a let down, she is not pulling it off, I don’t think it works well for her. I like it in on the model however.

21. Lucrezia January 7, 2014 at 17:27 #

I love the fabric and the details, not so much the hem of the dress though the red part on it is very cool. She does look lovely on it but how can she not actually, she is so pretty.

22. Jeanette January 7, 2014 at 18:42 #

The peekaboo red inside the dress and inside the shoes! Has to be on purpose. She looks great.

23. from-chitown January 7, 2014 at 19:03 #

I dont like this. It is a difficult look to pull off, and it is not working.

24. sanette January 7, 2014 at 23:40 #

I just love this look on her. I just wish she opted for red shoes.

25. Alison January 7, 2014 at 23:54 #

I like the fullness and the asymmetric hemline. This is so close to perfect, well she is perfect. My favorite of the week by far.

26. Lucy January 8, 2014 at 03:15 #

The black shoes are the right choice. They echo the black in the jacket, while the red sole compliments the red lining. The silver/black combo is very elegant. Red shoes will make the outfit into a costume.

27. tasha January 8, 2014 at 18:15 #

love love love love this. it’s just amazing how this woman carries herself so well in more difficult, fashion-forward pieces. don’t mind the shoes, and think the jacket adds the perfect edge to the dress.

28. rici January 8, 2014 at 20:28 #

Fantastic dress and styling.

29. Olivia January 9, 2014 at 18:28 #