24.12.13 Best Of

Best Newcomer & Breakout Star 2013 – Lupita Nyong’o

Best Newcomer & Breakout Star 2013 - Lupita Nyong’o

Lupita Nyong’o came out of nowhere and took the red carpet by storm this year and her reign has only been 4 short months, yet she’s standing shoulder to shoulder alongside veterans like Diane Kruger and Cate Blanchett as, like them, she is very consistent, possesses great style and has an elegant grace about her that has made her so fascinating to watch.

From her very first look in Prada back in September during the Toronto Film Festival, which gave me goosebumps, I knew she was going to be something special; how special I could never have predicted, but you voting her your Best Newcomer of 2013 proves you believe it too.

She has since gone on to give us many memorable moments in Rodarte, Miu Miu, Lanvin, Prabal Gurung and, most recently, my favourite, Elie Saab.

Lupita is a refreshing beauty with great style, but let’s not forget her credentials as a talented actress and filmmaker.

With SAG, Golden Globe and Independent Spirit Awards nominations for Best Supporting Actress in ’12 Years A Slave’ under her belt so far, we can look forward to many more impressive red carpet moments from Lupita during awards season in 2014.

Runner up: Zhang Yuqi

Credit: Getty

Kendall Jenner's Balenciaga 'The Ceinture' Cut-Out Ankle Boots

Kendall Jenner’s Balenciaga ‘The Ceinture’ Cut-Out Ankle Boots

Kendall Jenner's Balenciaga 'The Ceinture' Cut-Out Ankle Boots

Kendall Jenner’s Balenciaga ‘The Ceinture’ Cut-Out Ankle Boots

11 Responses to Best Newcomer & Breakout Star 2013 – Lupita Nyong’o

1. Alina December 24, 2013 at 11:38 #

Yes, she deserves it big time! The Prada from TIFF was number 2 on my BDOTY list.
    Can’t wait to see what she’ll give us during awards season! I’m hoping for Elie Saab Couture (in red or green) and a gold column dress (I just think she would look outstanding in one :) ).

2. Christine December 24, 2013 at 11:40 #

She made me love a Prada gown!!! And that speaks volumes lol.

Love her style! She has that something which I cannot describe. Her beauty is undeniable. I can’t wait to see what she will wear during the awards season!

• Serenity December 25, 2013 at 07:42 #

I so agree with all of this, word for word.

I voted for Lupita for best newcomer, no one else even came close to being on her level in this category. I didn’t, however, vote for her for breakout star–that I reserved for Naomie Harris. To me, the term ‘breakout’ implies that someone has truly ‘broken out’ of some thing–’risen above’, ‘triumphed’ over. Naomie has been around for awhile, but this year has totally been ‘her year’. To me, she has really come into her own, garnering more of a blockbuster actress status, and the red carpet showings to follow. She wasn’t really on my radar before this year, but boy has she ‘broken out’! Plus, I really thought she deserved recognition for her amazing style, and this category fit best. I don’t DISagree with Lupita winning, but since she was an obvious shoe-in for best newcomer, I wanted Naomie to be able to shine too.

3. Markness December 24, 2013 at 11:41 #

This is a no-brainer. She has been dazzling us consistently although Miss Consistent will alwayse be Diane Kruger for me.

FC, just a suggestion. How about for 2014 we have Best Airport Style? It seems the airport runway is now literally a runway for fashion. :)

4. Chanel December 24, 2013 at 12:18 #

Most of all, I think her smile is absolutely gorgeous! She’s so beautiful!

5. Yeliz December 24, 2013 at 13:52 #

She was my pick in both categories. I am so looking forward to her red carpet style in 2014.

6. Cássia December 24, 2013 at 14:02 #

Stunning! Can’t wait to see the award season!

7. Kate December 24, 2013 at 17:22 #

I am disappointed Lupita wasn’t represented on readers’ or critic’s top 10, but thrilled to see her honored in this post. She’s a true beauty and I always look forward to see what she decides to wear.

I like the idea of “best airport style”!

8. EmmaWoodhouse December 25, 2013 at 21:54 #

Definitely my pick for Newcomer, but I generally choose a star who is more seasoned for Breakout star.

• Serenity December 26, 2013 at 15:57 #

My thoughts as well–that’s why I voted for Naomie Harris. Who did you vote for?

9. Serenity January 4, 2014 at 14:12 #

To all of those who loved her beauty looks just as much as her fashion–here’s an excellent article: