Jennifer Lawrence In Christian Dior Couture - 'The Hunger Games Cathching Fire' LA Premiere

Jennifer Lawrence also kept up her 100% record of wearing Dior while attending the LA premiere of ‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ held at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles, California on Monday evening.

The actress selected a Christian Dior Fall 2013 Couture dark-and-light-grey knitted evening gown, which she wore with a black bodysuit and black belt.

Now, those disliking the sheer trend will no doubt be rolling their eyes right about now, but I’m delighted that she’s not afraid to take risks.

For a while, I was worried that her promo tour might be a bit one note, but she’s managed to mix things up and keep things interesting, staying true to her current style without going overboard.

Black Brian Atwood platform sandals, a black Roger Vivier clutch and another pair of wing-tip earrings by Anita Ko accessorized her look, with a hot-pink lip colour and choppy layers styling her cropped ‘do completing her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Elizabeth Banks In Versace - 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' LA Premiere

Elizabeth Banks In Versace – ‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ LA Premiere

Isabelle Fuhrman In Christian Siriano - 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' LA Premiere

Isabelle Fuhrman In Christian Siriano – ‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ LA Premiere

95 Responses to Jennifer Lawrence In Christian Dior Couture – ‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ LA Premiere

1. jeremyrain November 19, 2013 at 07:38 #

Sorry, she looks like she wearing a mosquito net for me#iquit.

• Stel November 19, 2013 at 08:17 #

+1 Hahahaha totally agree!

• JJ November 19, 2013 at 15:06 #

Haha! It does look like a mosquito net. lol This is a horrible look.

• Irving cares November 19, 2013 at 15:25 #

ITA.

This is bad from hair to toe.

• Nat November 19, 2013 at 16:08 #

+4. Did she cut her bangs more? It looks shorter

• Christine November 20, 2013 at 00:53 #

LOL. This is not a good look. Elizabeth has been putting her to shame on this promo tour.

• Saree November 20, 2013 at 01:55 #

Hahahahahaha I actually finished what I was eating before clicking on the comments to this.

I agree with everything FC said, but I still don’t like this. This dress has actually made me realise just how horrible the sheer look is. May as well just wear the body suit – some can look tasteful, but others just horrible. Even with just a confident smile, she looks uncomfortable.

2. Lashae November 19, 2013 at 07:40 #

I don’t think I liked anything she’s worn this promo tour and that includes this dress. This dress is just not for her.

3. Pablo November 19, 2013 at 07:40 #

When did THIS become Dior Couture? I’m sad :(

• Dean November 19, 2013 at 15:12 #

ITA

4. Marta November 19, 2013 at 07:44 #

It’s a great look for me, her make up and hair are flawless.

I would just like it so much more is there was just a little more coverage in the hips and upper legs area.
    It seems a little awkward with that bottom part so rich and full.

• Yeliz November 19, 2013 at 09:30 #

I agree, the hips and upper legs area being so ‘empty’ is bothering me too. Other than that I actually like this look.

• Foteini P. November 19, 2013 at 13:06 #

• Sophy November 19, 2013 at 13:15 #

Wonder if it would look better if she was wearing tights or hose under – her legs just look so bare – like a coverered up 50s bathing suit.She should also pose better. I do like her hair and makeup so thats a plus.

• Sophy November 19, 2013 at 15:38 #

Oh no- just looked closely at the pic and it looks really vulgar at the top of her thighs- Hate this dress now.

5. Shak November 19, 2013 at 08:01 #

I dont know… I just dont really like it!

6. Caro Chanel November 19, 2013 at 08:08 #

This is not a dress. She could as well run around in her underpants. Terrible. I like her earrings and her hair but I think she’s wearing too much and too pink blush. Jen has certainly switched it up during this promo tour and I can give her credit for that. Too bad she didn’t look good half the time. :(

• Sleepless in Chicago November 20, 2013 at 12:47 #

Agreed. Her style “consultant” should be fired. Jennifer Lawrence deserves better!

7. Mandy November 19, 2013 at 08:12 #

I never would have expected her to wear this dress so on that level im pleased. However i’m still not wowed.

8. Dina Azar November 19, 2013 at 08:16 #

BEST LOOK OF THE WHOLE DAMN WEEK. y’all don’t even know what you’re talking about. do you see how the colors morph in different shades of light, gray to ultra violet? i’m DYING. love it, love it, love it.

• KatieKate November 19, 2013 at 11:33 #

I lovelovelovelove it too!!!! I guess I can understand why some don’t, but I am quite surprised that MOST don’t. Oh well, different strokes…..

• stella November 19, 2013 at 17:34 #

+1 BDOTW

• Magdalena November 19, 2013 at 20:25 #

I love it as well, beautiful and badass. Her best look of the promo tour for sure.

9. Coco's Tea Party November 19, 2013 at 08:22 #

I can’t wait for her Dior contract to end. Then she can go back to dressing in pieces she actually looks good in!

I think she’s much better suited to American designers. Like Michael Kors and Ralph Lauren.

• Sleepless in Chicago November 20, 2013 at 12:46 #

Agreed. I am not sure if she is obligated to wear Dior as part of her contract with them. It would be sad if it were the case. I would love to see her in younger, sophisticated and slick styles that would suit her unique personality better. Enough of Dior already. Not sure sure who the head designer is but the Dior’s styles I have seen lately would not fit the good name of Dior 99% of the time.

10. Natalie November 19, 2013 at 08:22 #

appalling. It’s not even just the see-through nature of the dress. Well it is mostly, because it’s not cool or edgy at all. But she just can’t pull it off the way Rose Huntington may just narrowly pull through.

11. Prian November 19, 2013 at 08:35 #

Wow, easily her worst look so far.
    I just can’t help but wished for the dress to be fully lined, it’ll be so much better

12. Christy November 19, 2013 at 09:06 #

Question is, are we going to get a ‘who wore it better’ with Erica Packer on the cover of Australian Vogue?

13. eathan November 19, 2013 at 09:21 #

This whole promo tour was a disaster after disaster. None of the looks worked for me. I don’t like her new hair at all. She just doesn’t have enough charisma to wear such dramatic dresses, she’s pretty bland, and long hair and long dresses suit her.

14. mandy November 19, 2013 at 09:31 #

Somehow the belt bothers me. And i prefer the bottom half lined.

• Sleepless in Chicago November 20, 2013 at 12:48 #

Exactly. The look works from the waist up. Jennifer deserves better. Her stylist should leave.

15. Betelgeuze November 19, 2013 at 09:34 #

I love the look.
    Yes, it could use some tweaks in the makeup department and no, I’m not considering this for my BDOTY list, but I sure think Jennifer held her own on this red carpet, unlike the world premiere.

• Betelgeuze November 21, 2013 at 09:20 #

I’ve been thinking about this (yay for procastinating learning for my exams lol), and I came to conclusion that when the dress is photographed blue I find it stunning, but when it looks grey it’s just sort of meh.
      Also, when it looks blue the lips make some sort of sense, but when it’s grey I’d prefer smoky eye and a nude lip.
      The blue makes me consider it for my BDOTY list, the grey does not.
      Yay for colourchanging fabric :D

Anyway, I’m very glad that this dress broke Jennifer’s no-bra row, as it started to feel like Buffy The Vampire Slayer season one.

16. Fiona-Brasil November 19, 2013 at 09:38 #

Too hip for her own good…

17. delhi_fashionista November 19, 2013 at 09:52 #

This is Terrible.Period.

I don’t get the point of wearing a dumb transparent gown over a bodysuit , to a red carpet event. Had it been Dita Von Teese or Lady Gaga wearing that , I would have managed to gulp it down. But this is inappropriate for any lead actress to wear to her movie’s premiere.

P.S. – This is the downside of becoming a brand ambassador for a particular fashion house. You run out of options.

18. CreoleLady November 19, 2013 at 10:09 #

Her Dior looks were incredibly limited and limiting to me. Black, navy (which might as well be black) and/or white plus same-y silhouettes. Playing the sheer card this way is a lazy way imo for a designer to inject excitement — expose the body. This is the most disappointing promo tour of the year for me. Not the worst, just the most disappointing.

19. ash November 19, 2013 at 10:16 #

Uh. Hell no.

Jesus Christ, why did she even bother wear a dress when it’s fully sheer anyway.

20. Martin November 19, 2013 at 10:19 #

I think this is an awesome look for Jennifer, and definitely her most inspired of the promo tour. This dress appeared on the cover of VOGUE Australia in November – loved it then, love it now. Not really feeling all the hate for it to tell you the truth.

• Catherine Kallon November 19, 2013 at 11:06 #

I love it too…Surprised it’s get such a negative reaction.

• Martin November 19, 2013 at 12:04 #

Totally! I’m dumbfounded by all the negativity.

And the cover girl (Erica Packer, an Australian socialite who actually purchased the dress after wearing it for the shoot) wore it to a party celebrating the issue. It is actually quite an incredible piece, and I think it is so much more than a dumb transparent gown or a mosquito net or whatever.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks. And I guess it’s that diversity of opinion that makes RCFA the incredible forum for discussion that it is :)

• Nat39 November 19, 2013 at 19:03 #

I also think that it’s easily her most inspired look so far on this tour, 100% agree, and she owns it. Love it.

• sara November 19, 2013 at 20:22 #

I agree, I love this and I think its her best thus far as well!

• Magdalena November 19, 2013 at 20:34 #

Plus, best hair and makeup so far imo

• KatieKate November 20, 2013 at 23:15 #

Thank you for that link! It’s so beautiful. I love this dress, and I think it’s made not one but two solid showings on two beautiful women. I am so sad and surprised, actually, by all the negativity. Oh well, I guess being in the vast, vast minority won’t kill me.

21. Jess2 November 19, 2013 at 10:37 #

Noooo!!! She was doing well. I don’t like this at all :(

22. kane November 19, 2013 at 10:51 #

When I think back to the last Hunger Games LA premiere, the WOW effect was BAM. Actually I didn’t like the look all that much… the heavy eye make up, the strange cut outs on the sides and the back, but, man, she looked like she had just emerged from liquid gold. It’s a look stuck in my head. This on the other hand: no wow effect, don’t expect it to stick anywhere, the hair bothers me again. And yet, it is so much more grown up and sophisticated. In fact, neck-down at least, it’s growing on me really fast. Well done, JLaw.

23. Del November 19, 2013 at 10:56 #

It seems I’m the only one to think she looks breathtaking. For me it’s her best look of this tour. The dress isn’t tacky and has a wonderful color which is constrasting with her beautiful lipstick.

• KatieKate November 20, 2013 at 23:18 #

Here, here.

24. Noemi November 19, 2013 at 11:05 #

I think we all think that she’s not a good ambassador for Dior. I didn’t even particularly liked the Oscar gown. Natalie Portman is Charlize Theron was…
    This dress is one of those pieces who could happily remain on the runway. I don’t see anyone looking great in it, honestly. But, said that, I think she looks cute and fresh as usual, far from being tacky when many women would be wearing such a see-through dress.
    I’m looking forward to see her wearing other designers.

• Ahot November 19, 2013 at 15:03 #

Dior is not the Brand it used to be anymore. Even Marion Cotillard barely manages to salvage some of their better designs & that´s saying something.
      They just don´t know how to dress her, it´s not on her. & she should fire her stylists too, they must be jealous because they sure put her in the worst designs for her bodytype.

• Nat November 19, 2013 at 16:18 #

I completely agree with you. I also don’t think Natalie Portman is a good ambassador. Her looks are either a hit or a miss and when they are a hit they are just average looks overall.

25. Noemi November 19, 2013 at 11:06 #

And I appreciate that she took a risk and looks comfortable.

26. Joy November 19, 2013 at 11:11 #

FLAWLESS. BDOTY contender for me. Love absolutely everything about this look. The sheer trend is nothing new & it can be love or hate but this Dior knit creation is SO different than the lace sheer dresses we’ve seen a bizzilion times. It is SO beautiful. I can’t get over the beauty in the knit material. I am in love with Jennifer with this promo tour. Seriously, it is one of my favorites in a long time. I love her authenticity, it is so sexy and beautiful.

Oh, and her makeup, accessories and chic hair is perfection.

• KatieKate November 20, 2013 at 23:20 #

THANK YOU!!!! I actually think this may be a BDOTY contender for me too.

27. amy November 19, 2013 at 11:35 #

I don’t like this look but it doesn’t have anything to do with Jennifer. I’m just not a fan of the bodysuit/sheer dress

28. Max November 19, 2013 at 12:20 #

There’s a hole in her dress! Look at the close-up pic of her clutch. Horrible.

29. JC November 19, 2013 at 12:23 #

I think she looks amazing…look at the shape of the dress, the dress is knitted and fitted with different shades of purple. And the train is just so pleasing to the eye.

30. Anne November 19, 2013 at 12:51 #

I like the look from the waist-up; and I like knitted pattern of the full skirt. I do not like the bodysuit hot pants. At all.

• Ahot November 19, 2013 at 15:05 #

Yes, it would have worked if the bodysuit was with a microskirt instead of hotpants. #GrannyPantiesAlert!

31. Alina November 19, 2013 at 13:02 #

I don’t think she’s tall enough for this dress.

• LeeAnn November 19, 2013 at 13:17 #

She is 5’10” but I see what you mean.
      I actually quite like this look.

• justme November 19, 2013 at 17:32 #

She’s around Josh Hutcherson’s height without heels so she’s more like 5’7-8.

• leeann November 19, 2013 at 18:27 #

Sorry but I have met her and she is 5’10”

• Del November 19, 2013 at 18:59 #

No, she is 5’8″ she said it many times during the awards season : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAbJfOZJs0 (for example). But I think, the dress fit well :)

• Magdalena November 19, 2013 at 20:33 #

Basing on what I see in the pictures, I think there’s no way she’s 5’10 (She doesn’t look as tall as Charlize, who’s that height). Maybe between 5’7 – 5’9. But what do I know.

32. dee November 19, 2013 at 13:25 #

I really like this look. I am surprised by all the negative comments. I think she is working it.

33. sanette November 19, 2013 at 13:55 #

I started rolling my eyes as soon a I saw her in that dress. She really doesn’t ooze the confidence to pull this off. Everything just looks so bad compared to her previous THG promo tour.

• Brenna November 19, 2013 at 15:24 #

Absolutely agree – plus Elizabeth Banks and Jena Malone are hitting it out of the park with variation and style. At least her hair and make up have improved with each outing.

Hey Jen? You signed onto a fashion brand. They’re paying you a lot of money. At least pretend you have some inkling of interest instead of letting your stylist run wild.

34. Ashley November 19, 2013 at 14:22 #

I wish the bottom of the dress were lined, but it’s a vast improvement over the coat dress and the white bedazzled sack she wore earlier in the circuit. I adore her hair and make-up!

She has such a wonderful personality and fantastic figure, and I wish Dior was doing any of that justice…

35. Namel November 19, 2013 at 14:29 #

From the waist up i love it. The skirt should have more volume but i generally get the feeling in this promo tour that she is kind of bored.

36. Beth Rodrigues November 19, 2013 at 15:03 #

I love it..BDOTY for me..she looks amazing..the gown lies perfectly about her body, and Jennifer has the body to wear the gown, not be worn by the gown..

37. r November 19, 2013 at 15:36 #

The fabric of the dress is very striking, but I can’t say that I like the dress. I am not a fan of the sheer look though it works for me very occasionally. Not this time–it’s just too gimmicky. I love her hair and makeup and she seems to be enjoying wearing the dress (of course she is an actress). I want better for her.

38. carrie November 19, 2013 at 15:51 #

Unflattering and bordering on vulgar. I winced when I saw this and someone really should’ve stopped her from walking out the door like this.

39. Vicky November 19, 2013 at 16:24 #

I watched the red carpet live last night and the dress totally appeared to be a blue and not a grey. It’s weird how it’s showing up as both blue and grey in the pictures. This wouldn’t have been my choice for her, but I still think she looks beautiful in it.

40. justme November 19, 2013 at 17:39 #

I might be one of the few remainant lovers of the shorts+sheer skirt trend but this is not a pretty dress. When you compare it to some of the beautiful gowns of the Gucci Fall 2011 collection, it’s painfully obvious that Dior didn’t even try, smh.

She looks pretty from the neck up though.

41. Nat39 November 19, 2013 at 17:39 #

I love it (!!). Finally something to get excited about – a bold, unexpected choice. The unusual outfit fits her perfectly, her styling is flawless, and she is commanding this look, totally BDOTW worthy in my eyes.

42. the ogre November 19, 2013 at 17:51 #

I really don’t see where all the negativity is coming from but to each his own, I guess. I, on the other hand, love this look. Like a lot of actresses who’ve made the sheer trend look tacky and tried and tested, this look for me is very different and that too because Jennifer carries it off so confidently. It’s a fresh take on the sheer trend and she went pretty big with this one in my opinion. I love the hair and make up and the fact that she prevented the look from turning gimmicky. I don’t even mind the bodysuit or where it ends or begins. It’s a perfect look for me. Kudos to her for going out of her way to make this look her own. When pictured on the runway, it feels like one can’t really bring it on to the red carpet but Jennifer’s interpretation is working like hell! Go girl!

43. Prov November 19, 2013 at 18:46 #

This is Haute Couture simply because of how utterly breathtaking the fabric is. Look at it in the detail shots. The texture, or apparent texture, is surreal. The entire thing looks like an out-of-tune hologram, a kind of gown you might find in the dystopian future portrayed in the movie. You can’t convey the effect as well with underlays and dark tights or leggings or a host of other distractions. It would be a crime against this incredible workmanship. It’s not about what you’re seeing through the knit, it’s about appreciating the fact that it IS delicate enough to see through while still boasting such a bold, mesmerizing pattern.

No one goes into a photo exhibit, looks at tasteful nudes and screams in horror. They’re just thighs. We all have them, and it’s alright to show them when it makes sense.

• KatieKate November 21, 2013 at 00:51 #

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! From your mouth to the fashion gods’ ears!

44. Prov November 19, 2013 at 18:49 #

…spent so much time defending the gown I almost forgot to say how perfect the earrings are.

45. Joy2 November 19, 2013 at 19:20 #

The dress has a beautiful shape and subtle color. Had it been lined, I think we might have been able to focus on its beauty. As it is the eye goes to granny swim costume and bare legs.

• Sleepless in Chicago November 20, 2013 at 12:49 #

Agreed!

46. Dhppy November 19, 2013 at 21:15 #

No. Just no. The cut of this dress gives off the appearance of wide legged sailor pants. If the bottom weren’t so sheer, it would look so much better. The styling is exquisite though.

47. Teri November 19, 2013 at 22:15 #

Young, Hip, Cool! Something new to look at. LOVE!

48. Kathy November 19, 2013 at 23:45 #

Major props for wearing something so daring and unpredictable. I love the look from the waist up, but I’m undecided about the mosquito net of a skirt. I think the subtle “checkered” overlay is really interesting and Jennifer is oozing confidence in this. I think the intention here was to shock people, and the dress certainly did its job judging by the extremely mixed reaction.

49. Vernita November 20, 2013 at 00:15 #

“Jennifer Lawrence also kept up her 100% record of wearing Dior.” She has worn other designers on this promo tour. e.g. Prabul Gurang and Mcqueen

• Dhppy November 20, 2013 at 01:48 #

Yes, at photocalls and afterparties Lawrence wore other designers, but I believe FC was referring to her exclusive wearing of Dior for the Hunger Games premieres.

• KatieKate November 21, 2013 at 00:52 #

50. Vernita November 20, 2013 at 00:16 #

^Sorry, meant Proenza Schouler not Prabul Gurang

51. Valissa November 20, 2013 at 08:09 #

IMO this is so bad it’s laughable. I love Jennifer but she does not wear couture and high fashion pieces all that well. She needs to keep it simple and refined…or hire Elizabeth Banks’ stylist!

• Sleepless in Chicago November 20, 2013 at 12:51 #

Completely agree. I am not sure who picks the outfits – herself or a stylist. She is so much more sophisticated than most of the outfits she has been seen lately. It is a shame.

52. Ash November 20, 2013 at 13:47 #

this is laughable. The dress is horrible and it’s horrible on her.

actually I keep thinking about a gif set on Tumblr where she said “stupid fashion critics are judging people by their looks,it’s wrong”(something like that, I don’t remember it word by word)…is it because she’s always dressed so bad? that’s why she hated fashion critics so much? well, welcome to Hollywood young girl, don’t pretend that you don’t care when you’re holding a Dior contract!

53. Karen November 20, 2013 at 16:58 #

For me at least personally is not the dress as much as it is her. I don’t think she has the attitude to carry the dress, she looks cute, but I don’t think that is the word that should come to mind with this dress.