23.10.13

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - HRH Prince George Of Cambridge Christening

The big day is finally here for Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, as earlier today they arrived at the Chapel Royal in St. James’s Palace in London for the christening of their three-month-old son, Prince George of Cambridge.

While it was a relatively low-key ceremony, Kate still impressed with her signature style, returning to her wedding-gown designer Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen to create the bespoke confection for this memorable moment.

The structured yet romantically sophisticated number featured a ruffled detail at the bodice with a peplum-inspired waist. And the divine, creamy pale-yellow hue exactly matched her son’s precious, lacy christening gown.

Her favourite L.K.Bennett pumps and a matching, rose-topped fascinator completed her sleekly understated, yet completely chic look.

Credit: Getty

42 Comments
Olivia Munn In Viktor & Rolf -  Montblanc's Madison Avenue Boutique Opening

Olivia Munn In Viktor & Rolf – Montblanc’s Madison Avenue Boutique Opening

Solange Knowles In Etro & Clover Canyon -  Ebay’s 'Future of Shopping' Event

Solange Knowles In Etro & Clover Canyon – Ebay’s ‘Future of Shopping’ Event

42 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – HRH Prince George Of Cambridge Christening

1. Alina October 23, 2013 at 17:56 #

I like the ensemble, but I would have opted for a simpler headpiece.

2. Yeliz October 23, 2013 at 17:56 #

This look is actually nothing we’ve not seen from her before, but she looked so chic and gorgeous. Little George is a cutie pie.

• Leti October 23, 2013 at 18:21 #

Indeed, I was certain this actually was something she’d worn before. It reminds me of the dress she wore for their engagement photo/the Canada tour, though this suit is the better of the two.

3. Dhppy October 23, 2013 at 18:01 #

Kate looks lovely, but she’s been upstaged by her son’s magnificent christening gown. He wins men’s BDofW!

• CreoleLady October 23, 2013 at 18:26 #

Lol, agree!

• anonymous as always October 24, 2013 at 21:15 #

Well I am pretty sure he would be ashamed for wearing when he grows older XD But still what a fantastic, luxurious lace!!!

• Jess2 October 27, 2013 at 10:14 #

Absolutely. They all looked lovely!!

4. dee October 23, 2013 at 18:04 #

I love this look.

5. Rebecca Z October 23, 2013 at 19:15 #

She looks glowing and lovely. Her ensemble is timeless and she looks just perfect for this occasion and for the photos of what is an historic event.

6. LeeAnn October 23, 2013 at 19:37 #

Thank goodness we can ‘t see the shoes. The hat is ridiculous.

• Iva October 23, 2013 at 20:20 #

I just don’t get these hats.

• amy October 24, 2013 at 08:43 #

ditto

• elaine2 October 24, 2013 at 14:38 #

• Giada October 24, 2013 at 23:30 #

Agreed. With a simpler hat this would have been a great look. The hat makes the entire look frumpy and dated. Her mother looked more modern!

7. Sharon October 23, 2013 at 19:52 #

Is that a cute baby or what!! Everything is background for the little Prince, but the Duchess looks lovely, as always.

8. mrbdbdj October 23, 2013 at 20:00 #

At certain angles that fascinator looks like she has an omelette on her head.

• Leeann October 23, 2013 at 21:50 #

I think it looks like a diaphram

9. Christine October 23, 2013 at 20:45 #

A bit old fashioned but aww at the baby. Cute

• Grace Patricia October 24, 2013 at 01:09 #

The baby is way too cute to consider her looks.

10. Joy October 23, 2013 at 21:04 #

I am smitten for Prince George! He is so cute! And could the Duchess look more beautiful? Perfection all around. And, I love the hat, for me it compliments perfectly with this lovely McQueen dress. I’m loving the yellow color on both mom & baby. Classy.

11. molly October 23, 2013 at 21:24 #

This is exactly what I expected her to wear, but she blended in with her sister and The Duchess of Cornwall who were also in cream. I am a bit surprised she didnt wear pink however, seeing as she frequently channels her late mother-in-law for big events like these.

12. Kowscia October 23, 2013 at 22:45 #

Stunning , as always ! But when is she going to change those heels shoes … Like, “It’s enought” you know … And of course , the BABY is so cute !!!

13. Emily October 24, 2013 at 01:29 #

LK Bennett again, I presume? FC I supposed you are so unimpressed by them by now that you couldn’t even bother making a mention of them ;)

Very nice outfit and the shoes did in fact go along well with the McQueen, still, one can only dream the Duchess will wear other shoes one day!

• Catherine Kallon October 24, 2013 at 06:40 #

yes, they are :D

• Jane Doe October 25, 2013 at 07:18 #

They actually are different shoes! They’re her Russell and Bromley Park Avenues (according to whatkatewore).

14. jokebetweenthetrees October 24, 2013 at 01:42 #

I do not like this. Horrible colour, old fashion suit. She’s still young, this is somethig to wear when 60. And those awfull shoes again.
    I do not understand why she’s seen as a fashion icon. She sometimes has it right, but a lot of times, she’s just not on it. (And if it is a love for the fairytale story, there are a lot of princesses in Europe and most of them are doing way better than Kate in the fashion department.)

• Valerie October 24, 2013 at 12:23 #

ITA! I guess she is so afraid of doing something wrong, that everything she wears has the same silhouette and it’s getting really boring.
      She does look beautiful, but all her looks are blending into one.
      I much prefer other princesses, who are more fashion forward. It is possible to take a bit of risk, without being dressed inappropriate.

• Dolly October 24, 2013 at 13:44 #

Well put! I dont get the hype surrounding her, everything bar a couple of items has been boring and safe. There are plenty of Princesses in Europe who are way ahead of her (dare I say even in their wedding dress choices).

Having said all that, I dont recall her ever being particularly fashionable even in the early stages of her relationship with William. I actually dont think she is all that interested in clothes and probably turns to her mother for advice. And it shows…

• elaine2 October 24, 2013 at 14:46 #

she’s not fashion forward and also on occasion she does dress inappropriately (example: skin tight jeans and sky high wedges that are truly ugly to a sports event).

Her LK Bennett shoes are boring, certainly nothing to be enamored with, and that hat – well could it be any uglier? Plus her hair style was terrible, a section held back by a bobby pin. UGH. Really tacky. Her long hair makes her look like she’s hanging onto her teenage years.

And last but not least. The suit. This looks like something Linda Evans would wear in the TV show, Dynasty.

15. KatieKate October 24, 2013 at 03:40 #

Give the girl a break…imagine the pressure to dress a certain way. Although very pretty, this suit does remind me of one the Queen would wear/has worn.

• anonymous as always October 24, 2013 at 21:19 #

+1 to everything! Such a pity a beautiful young woman with a great body like hers and she can’t wear whatever she likes. She seems so happy though!

16. Alex V October 24, 2013 at 04:44 #

BDBOTW (best dressed baby of the week) worth

17. Lila October 24, 2013 at 07:16 #

It’s pretty enough, but it’s just so boring. I don’t get why she seems to think that classy and elegant have to equal boring. I remember Diana wore this fabulous pink patterned dress to her son’s christening. Why the cream from head to toe? Why did everyone in both families have to wear blue or cream? Why can’t those awful pumps fall in a hole somewhere? I feel like someone told this generation that any individuality is against the code.

I also really dislike that she matched her son’s gown. I don’t know why it bothers me so much but it does. It just seems cloying, particularly since William didn’t try to match him at all.

• elaine2 October 24, 2013 at 14:49 #

• Kathy October 24, 2013 at 23:40 #

Well, what was William going to do, wear a cream-colored suit? I don’t find it irksome that the Duchess coordinated her color palette just because her husband didn’t.

18. Noemi October 24, 2013 at 10:26 #

I like the clothes, beautiful and very classy, but the hat is too big and “old”, I would have definitely taken off the rose (which looks cheap, in my opinion). I don’t even comment the shoes. The baby looks very cute. And Harry, too!

19. Beta October 24, 2013 at 11:30 #

In my opinion, as always, the Queen upstaged everybody else fashion-wise.
    Though I do like her McQueen ensemble

20. Danielle Prescott October 24, 2013 at 19:56 #

I thought Camilla had the best fascinator of the group. I also liked her coat dress.

21. Ines October 24, 2013 at 20:46 #

The dress is not bespoke

22. gabis October 25, 2013 at 02:37 #

Wow, some people here just really exaggerate on the criticism. She’s not fashion forward or whatever but have you ever wondered that maybe this IS her personality? Maybe she is a conservative, boring person and maybe she wears what she likes and feels good on. Maybe that is why she’s considered a fashion icon and the reason why so many people are inspired by her. Because she looks comfortable in her own skin and do not try to look like something she’s not.
    I think she looks great here. My nitpick is a silver wrist watch she’s wearing but that is not visibleion the post’s pictures.

23. Lauren October 25, 2013 at 15:09 #

I’m not a massive fan of all the ruffles, but I thought she looked nice. My favorite part is that her Jane Taylor hat is called the “Georgie”, so I thought that was a lovely touch.

24. EmmaWoodhouse October 28, 2013 at 14:24 #

I know that it is a quiet and conservative look but I, for one, love it. Yes the pumps are tired but the suit is elegant and quite beautiful–I love the tasteful ruffles. The hat (thank you @Lauren about the name–“Georgie” is adorable for it!) is really cute imo and the outfit provides a great backdrop for her adorable baby in his lusciou, regal lace gown. Thumbs up all around from me! And yes, I want to see George up for BDMOTW!