03.10.13

Cate Blanchett In Armani Privé - 51st New York Film Festival Gala Tribute To Cate Blanchett

The New York Film Festival honoured Cate Blanchett with a gala tribute for her significant artistic contributions to film culture, held at Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center in New York City yesterday evening.

The Australian actress wore her second nude Armani Prive dress, but this crinoline-lace frock with a plunging neckline was custom-made.

I really love the dress – it’s nice to see Cate do sexy for a change – but I really wish it was in another colour. I know nude was the colour palette of the Fall 2013 collection, but I feel slightly fatigued by it already.

Perhaps the nude shoes are preventing me from totally loving this look.

Credit: Getty

Giambattista Valli Fall 2014 Couture Red Carpet Wish List

Giambattista Valli Fall 2014 Couture Red Carpet Wish List

Cate Blanchett In Givenchy - Harper's Bazaar Woman Of The Year Awards 2013

Cate Blanchett In Givenchy – Harper’s Bazaar Woman Of The Year Awards 2013

26 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Armani Privé – 51st New York Film Festival Gala Tribute To Cate Blanchett

1. Charlotte October 3, 2013 at 14:39 #

This dress is beautiful on her but this look is washing her out. Another color for the dress or for the shoes would have been great.

• Christine October 3, 2013 at 15:25 #

Agreed. She looks stunning but this is definitely washing her out.

• dee October 3, 2013 at 17:33 #

I agree.

• Anj October 3, 2013 at 22:01 #

Agree the fit is beautiful but it is washing her out. The blush-which I assume was intentional so she doesn’t get washed out-is what I have the most issue with.

• Sleepless in Chicago October 4, 2013 at 01:13 #

Agreed. Amazingly enough, she wore a dress in a similar color, with the same washed out effect. I wish she read the comments on this blog to avoid another flop.

2. Anne October 3, 2013 at 14:43 #

She looks beautiful, but agree on the color not being the best for her. I do appreciate she compensated with a heavier saturation of color in her makeup to counterbalance the nude. The shoes are uninspired, too. Not Care at her best, but even her ‘B’ effort is better than most.

• Iva October 3, 2013 at 14:43 #

3. Alina October 3, 2013 at 14:57 #

She reminded me of Nicole Kidman in her bad days.
    The colour washes her out and I really have big expectations when it comes to her. Overall, I’m disappointed.

4. jo October 3, 2013 at 15:13 #

The dress isn’t bad but the colour is doing nothing for her.

5. Rebecca Z October 3, 2013 at 15:16 #

It’s a beautiful dress and she looks lovely–regal and feminine at the same time. The shoes are a snooze, but perhaps she chose something very understated because part of her appearance involved sitting in an armchair on-stage talking with a host. Whatever–yes, all this nude is going to get boring, but she looks lovely.

6. Leti October 3, 2013 at 15:17 #

This dress would have been so lovely in an actual color. Unfortunately, this just washes her out, and the attempt to prevent that by livening up her makeup just looks harsh.

• Fiona-Brasil October 3, 2013 at 16:58 #

7. Lila October 3, 2013 at 15:18 #

I don’t really like anything about this look. The dress is pretty enough but it washes her out and she doesn’t look comfortable in it. Normally she can work anything but she looks stiff in this. The nude pumps are awful and awful with this dress. I get why she wore more makeup than normal but when contrasted with the dress washing her out, it is way too bright and not natural looking. At least her jewelry choices are spot on.

• Sleepless in Chicago October 4, 2013 at 01:16 #

Agreed. The dress, the shoes, and the make up (including an awful shade of lipstick) ruin the look. This pale pink would look stunning on a brunette, not a blonde. I wish the actress picked a jewel color dress (emerald, ruby or sapphire).

8. Caro Chanel October 3, 2013 at 16:28 #

I really like the dress. This is one of her better looks in recent months. She could have done better with her hair though. However, her make up is lovely.

9. ash October 3, 2013 at 17:01 #

the dress is beautiful but not for her. I don’t like the breast part.

10. kane October 3, 2013 at 17:01 #

I actually have a bigger problem with the cheeks, colour-wise. Aside from that and the shoes, I’m okay with it.

11. julyol1972 October 3, 2013 at 17:05 #

Good grief! Look at her skin!!! She’s glowing! The dress is beautiful, and a little too similar to her skin tone. But the fit is fabulous. Wish she’d had worn a different shoe. But good look anyway!

12. GGG October 3, 2013 at 17:36 #

I disagree – I think she looks lovely. I think she is embracing her skin tone – it’s a refreshing change from all of the tangerine-tinted actresses. Her make-up is the true star in this look – it’s perfect. Love her!

• KatieKate October 4, 2013 at 06:16 #

I fully agree. It’s not washing her out, to me, it’s playing up, even dramatizing her best feature-her flawless, alabaster skin.

13. Nat39 October 3, 2013 at 19:51 #

I think she looks lovely overall, the delicate feminine dress defines her figure nicely, but this look is very similar to her previous nude Armani, so it’s a case of deja vu, and some delicate sandals woud’ve been nice.

14. Yeliz October 3, 2013 at 21:34 #

She looks amazing IMO, I don’t think the dress is washing her out. The shoes could’ve been more interesting but I’m loving this look nonetheless.

15. Martin October 4, 2013 at 02:48 #

Agree. I prefer Cate when she wears strong, bold and sculptural Armani – this is definitely too wishy-washy for me. I thought she looks awesomely chic in her Jason Wu dress on the street in New York yesterday though. Perfectly effortless.

16. msd October 4, 2013 at 03:03 #

I never thought I’d say this about Cate but … it’s really boring. The makeup is a bit harsh too.

17. Parvati October 4, 2013 at 10:55 #

Like most people here, I think she looks great, but the nude colour washer her out.

18. EmmaWoodhouse October 6, 2013 at 03:04 #

My, but this collection is pale! I would have liked the dress with a higher neckline (I never go for the plunge) but am undecided about the color. I think it washes her out. Maybe blue would have been better, or more natural makeup and a smoky eye.