Lena Dunham In Rebecca Minkoff – 4th Annual L.A. Loves Alex’s Lemonade Event

Lena Dunham In Rebecca Minkoff - 4th Annual LA Loves Alex's Lemonade Event

Lena Dunham attended the 4th annual L.A. Loves Alex’s Lemonade event held at Culver Studios in Culver City, California on Saturday afternoon.

When I saw her in this pretty Rebecca Minkoff Fall 2013 dress in a bright-lemon hue, which was perfect for the event, I was excited to say that I finally liked a Lena Dunham look – from the ankles up, of course, because those Rebecca Minkoff ‘Gio Too’ heels could’ve been better – but then I saw the back of the dress.

As someone who is not a fan of tattoos, I wasn’t excited to discover yet another piece of artwork on the actress’s lower back to go along with the more visible ones on her arm.

While I have tried not to make her artwork part of my critique when it comes to her looks, it was difficult not to on this occasion.

On the plus side, she really does have fun on the red carpet, and doesn’t let anyone or anything hinder that.

You can buy Lena’s Rebecca Minkoff ‘Kirk’ dress from RebeccaMinkoff.com, Neiman Marcus and CUSP.com.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Lily Allen In Chanel Couture - 2014 Met Gala

Lily Allen In Chanel Couture – 2014 Met Gala

Bella Thorne In Blumarine - 2013 Teen Vogue Young Hollywood Party

Bella Thorne In Blumarine – 2013 Teen Vogue Young Hollywood Party

38 Responses to Lena Dunham In Rebecca Minkoff – 4th Annual L.A. Loves Alex’s Lemonade Event

1. Alina September 30, 2013 at 13:49 #

Just bad…

2. Christine September 30, 2013 at 13:52 #

Just wrong, man. Wrong.

I cannot.

3. Lee ann September 30, 2013 at 14:06 #

the dress covers a multitude of sins but is still awful fashion.Some people are just not built for fashion. Lena is that person.

4. Emma September 30, 2013 at 14:13 #

This dress makes her look impossibly square and the shoes weigh the dress down. I wish she would try to find things to flatter her shape, she’s not actually as large as she makes herself look on the red carpet.

• dee September 30, 2013 at 14:27 #

I agree word for word.

5. Charlotte September 30, 2013 at 14:17 #

I like this dree on her. It’s a shame for these awful shoes.

6. Pam September 30, 2013 at 14:18 #

That would be a hard dress for any one to wear. It does not fit. I’m no skinny minnie, but I try to wear things that fit. As for the tats, I don’t think you should apologize for including them in your critique. They are more or less a permanent accessory worn by choice. It’s not like a mole or scar or skin tone. If they are not flattering to the look, then call it like you see it.

• KatieKate October 1, 2013 at 04:19 #

I agree totally. And it’s super diplomatic of you to call them ‘artwork’, but I’m gonna go ahead and say those things are definitely less than artful. Ugh….

7. lea September 30, 2013 at 14:19 #

This is horrible.
    Why does her stylist hate her so much?

How can you have access to so many designers and looks like a trailer trash every time on the red carpet. This is sad.

8. Carrie September 30, 2013 at 14:22 #

Sadly, I don’t get her choices at all. Ever.

• Yeliz September 30, 2013 at 18:28 #

DITTO. This is just another awful look. The back of the dress is bad, really bad. Even worse than those ugly shoes.

9. kathryn September 30, 2013 at 14:44 #

Yuck! This is awful! The dress does nothing for her.

10. Mary Jane Anderson September 30, 2013 at 14:45 #

It feels kind of sad that because Lena is fat, not tanned and has a bad posture, it influences the way everybody sees this look. Because this dress is actually really cute. Just imagine it for a second on someone like Selena Gomez. Everybody would have liked it.

Should we only dress for the shape we have? Let’s take for an example Octavia Spencer, who dresses for her shape. She’s always flawless on the red carpet but also looks the same every damn time. Is this fashion?

I actually admire the fact that Lena doesn’t limit herself to what flatters bigger shapes only. She likes that dress? Well why the hell wouldn’t she wear it! I think THIS is fashion.

I love the fact that Lena is not afraid of wearing whatever she wants, even if it makes people uncomfortable. Because in the end, it is us that have to confront this uneasy feeling, not her having to dress so we’re happy in our little comfort zone, not seeing too much of her flappy, white and inked skin.

That being said, her hair looks horrible and her make up could have been better too, even if I love the pink shade on her lips!

• Rebecca Z September 30, 2013 at 15:18 #

I completely agree that our standards of beauty are too narrow and that being adventurous should be rewarded. That said, I don’t find anything appealing about this look on Lena. But that may be just what she intends. She is all about putting what is uncomfortable out there for all to see. Maybe that is what she is doing with fashion too. Here she takes a very girly dress and puts it on her all too normal and imperfect figure, tats and all, and then poses like an ingenue. I have no idea–just a thought.

• Jess2 September 30, 2013 at 15:36 #

Fat? Lena isn’t skinny like Selena but I wouldn’t call her fat!!

• lea September 30, 2013 at 15:44 #

i agree, she is nowhere near fat, her stylist just hate her. that’s sad.

• Marina September 30, 2013 at 16:03 #

Exactly. That’s not fat at all. People are used to see way too skinny celebs, thinking that that’s normal. If you look at most celebs legs in mini dresses, it just looks like two sticks coming out of the clothes.

• Mary Jane Anderson September 30, 2013 at 16:27 #

Excuse-me, I didn’t mean to sound rude at all! I’m French so I’m just missing on the vocabulary to describe her body accurately :)

And my point is exactly the same as yours, we are so used to see perfect bodies on the red carpet that we criticize everything this average-shaped woman gets to wear.

I don’t think her styliste hates her. I think everybody is just so uncomfortable when seeing that much of an imperfect skin.

• Nat September 30, 2013 at 18:04 #

Well she is fat or if you want to be politically correct overweight.

• lea September 30, 2013 at 15:43 #

i don’t think the problem is being fat. Actually i don’t find her fat.
      Sure she is not size 0 or even a 4 bu she is hardly what i woul call fat.
      I have seen woman larger than he r dress better on the carpet. Octavia spencer,queen latifah. And those woman don’t even have access to the designers, this woman does.
      I just think her stylist just doesn’t know what to do with her. And that’s sad because,a stylist with better knoledge of her personality or her body type would have so much fun dressing this young woman.

That’s what makes me sad.

• Alina September 30, 2013 at 15:43 #

In my opinion, yes, we should dress only for the shape we have because fashion also means clothes that fit.

• JJ October 1, 2013 at 21:12 #

+1000 to this. I think people should dress with what flatters their body type, skin tone, etc.

• Joy2 September 30, 2013 at 20:43 #

I agree that Lena does not present herself well though I, for one, have no problem with tats. I have to blame her stylist for putting her in what is a cute dress and not bothering to fit it properly. Particularly from the back, it is obviously way too big! Had it fit well, I think she would have looked good. Well, without those ugly shoes.

• Kathy September 30, 2013 at 21:12 #

I disagree. The problem with Lena is not that she shouldn’t always have to wear clothes that flatter her figure, it’s that she NEVER wears them. Flattering doesn’t mean safe or plain; there are more ways of being creative than just changing up the silhouette. It’s gotten to the point that it seems like she doesn’t even know where to begin to dress herself. Fashion should be fun, but that doesn’t mean disregarding your own shape. And when someone is a celebrity with all the resources in the world to guide her style, it’s laughable that she still looks like this time after time after time.

11. Peep September 30, 2013 at 15:10 #

She looks godawful. But then again, she always does.

Those tattoos look like skin rashes.

12. Daisy September 30, 2013 at 15:19 #

I know she’s talented but she has no right to terrorize on red carpet!

13. Jess2 September 30, 2013 at 15:25 #

I dislike this more than I disliked her Emmys dress!! The look from the back is so terrible and not only because of the tattoos. All I can think is hospital gown. The dress is poorly fitted and oh my word the shoes!
    I want so badly for her to get it right!

14. Nat39 September 30, 2013 at 17:28 #

Tragic as most of the time. It’s not about wearing a cute dress, it should be about wearing what suits you, and from what we’ve seen, she has no idea how (or doesn’t want to) to dress for herself. And yes, a little bit more poise and class in presence wouldn’t hurt.

15. Joy2 September 30, 2013 at 20:44 #

16. Larissa September 30, 2013 at 23:58 #

First of all I don’t think this dress is a flattering choice for any kind of figure, not even for the model who’s wearing it because It’s kind of shapeless. On Lena is just completely wrong on every possible level. Hair, make-up, shoes and styling in general are just as bad ad the dress itself. I completely agree that a woman should always wear something that fits her and flatters her body, whatever her shape is. She and her stylist could have found dozens of dresses better suited for her or at least accessorize this one better.

17. Prudence October 1, 2013 at 00:10 #

this and her many other rc moments arent disastrous because of her body type, its simply because she does not know how to dress her body type. time to go see Octavia’s stylist.

18. KatieKate October 1, 2013 at 04:26 #

All else aside, that hair is UN forgivable. Who the hell cuts it? The three year old next door? I DON’T GET IT.

19. Parvati October 1, 2013 at 11:44 #

Awful.

20. dressaddict October 1, 2013 at 13:12 #

From the back she looks like she’s going for an epidural.

• Sophy October 1, 2013 at 15:16 #

You win!!!

21. Sophy October 1, 2013 at 15:17 #

This dress is bad enough on the skinny model- but is downright vulgar on Ms Dunham

22. manolo October 2, 2013 at 18:54 #

?

23. EmmaWoodhouse October 4, 2013 at 13:05 #

No. Aside from the fresh color (which doesn’t compliment her skintone anyway) there is nothing to like about this look. The childish, poorly styled hair–the awful booties–the tacky tattoos–and the dress, which is SO unflattering (and ugh at the super-low back!) Lena is not a size 0, this is true. But neither is Octavia Spencer. Neither is Rebel Wilson or Gabourey Sidibe, who are both much more on the plus-size side of thing than she are. Lena is not what I would consider “fat” at all–she is just normal sized but with NO idea how to dress her body. A structured, a-line, with a cinching belt at the waist, rather than this oversized apron would be infinitely superior. As it is, she is really one of the worst-dressed stars I know of.