12.09.13

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Jenny Packham – Tusk Conservation Awards

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Jenny Packham - Tusk Conservation Awards

Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attended The Tusk Conservation Awards held at The Royal Society in London this evening.

For her first formal event since giving birth to son Prince George less than two months ago, Catherine turned to her favourite designer Jenny Packham, who has just presented her Spring 2014 show during New York Fashion Week.

I really wanted to be really excited about her much-anticipated first black-tie event but I was considerably underwhelmed by this effort.

Mostly because this ready-to-wear gown pales in comparison to her previous Jenny Packham stunners – most notably the teal-green gown worn to the ‘Our Greatest Team Rises BOA Olympic Concert’ and the pearlescent rose sequin gown worn to the ARK 10th Anniversary gala dinner.

All I see here is a bunch of sequins, a droopy empire waist and an odd back panel.

I know the world is going gaga for this look right now, but I find myself more drawn to the tuxedo-clad William – and this is coming from the human magpie.

Credit: Getty

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - Queen Elizabeth II's Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Queen Elizabeth II’s Official Birthday

NYFW Spring 2014 Red Carpet Wish List Part III

NYFW Spring 2014 Red Carpet Wish List Part III

56 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Jenny Packham – Tusk Conservation Awards

1. dell September 12, 2013 at 21:53 #

To much sequins,and I really dislike her hair. But she looks pretty though !

2. EmmaWoodhouse September 12, 2013 at 21:58 #

I actually love it–I think it’s very Old Hollywood. It’s going on my BDOTY contender list :)

By the way, FC, I haven’t been commenting because I’ve been quite busy but just wanted to let you know that I still read the blog EVERY DAY and can’t live without it! <3

• Catherine Kallon September 12, 2013 at 22:14 #

Glad to hear it, although I miss your comments ;)

• KatieKate September 13, 2013 at 02:05 #

I have missed your comments too. I genuinely always looked for your comments b/c I have noticed that you tend to favor a more conservative aesthetic, which I can really appreciate. I may not always agree b/c of the fact that they’re celebs, and it’s kind of a different world, but I, myself am a pretty conservative dresser, and was brought up that way, so I can always relate. I’m glad you’re doing well, I was wondering about you. :-)

• Denise September 13, 2013 at 08:02 #

Glad to hear from you again ! After Cannes I’ve missed you !

• Rashmi September 13, 2013 at 07:51 #

Hey I was wondering the same! Happy to see your comments back! Was really missing to read your opinions !
      Hope your work doesn’t keep you more busy :)

• EmmaWoodhouse September 13, 2013 at 13:21 #

Oh my goodness, guys, thank you for that! It’s so nice to hear that! Well, what can I say? I guess I should start commenting again, work or now work! :)

3. Charlotte September 12, 2013 at 22:00 #

I think she has beautiful hair but for this look an updo would have been much better !
    The shoes and the make up are not really interestinf and the dress is not flatterring and a little bit boring, even with all that sequins !
    William tuxedo is great.

4. Lila September 12, 2013 at 22:09 #

Yay a like mind! I don’t like this either. Mainly I think it doesn’t fit well. The biggest problem with the look is her hair. She has beautiful hair but this dress needs an updo. I think that would allow the dress to shine instead of just looking like an overload of sequins and hair.

• KatieKate September 13, 2013 at 02:06 #

Absolutely agree.

• Alina September 13, 2013 at 06:35 #

5. Pablo September 12, 2013 at 22:18 #

I’m with you on this one. Quite meh.
    I think had she done something with those overwhelming locks, I would’ve been keener to like it.

6. Anj September 12, 2013 at 22:22 #

I think she looks amazing especially considering she just had a BABY! The only thing I dislike is her hair. I’m so tired of this same style.

• Carolyn September 12, 2013 at 22:36 #

• Nishta September 12, 2013 at 23:40 #

I agree. The dress is almost secondary I’m still gaping at her body! She looks amazing! And I think she looks better now than she did pre-baby I always thought she was too skinny then.

I do like the dress apart from the back panel.

7. Prudence September 12, 2013 at 22:30 #

she has never worked for me. like I will never get on board with her style, she is so common and lacks presence.

8. Jen September 12, 2013 at 22:39 #

I think this is actually a quite beautiful look, with a silhouette that has a slightly ’40s retro feel, with the big shoulders and draped empire waist. The thing that lets this look down is the hair — although glorious and shiny, as always — which takes away the silhouette of the upper half. Some kind of cool updo would have again harkened back to that ’40s feel and let the dress shine.

• Jones19 September 12, 2013 at 23:06 #

Completely agree. Her hair is so long and gets in the way of the beautiful silhouette of the gown. It’s not as good as her teal Packham but better than the rose sequin one. Not bad for her first outing after giving birth.

• Joy2 September 12, 2013 at 23:10 #

+1. I actually really like the way the top drapes. An updo would have made it even better.

• KatieKate September 13, 2013 at 02:09 #

I’m actually surprised she hasn’t cut her hair, even a bit, since the birth. I have noticed that many women do so after having a baby, for one reason or another. I think her hair is gorge, but it’s still due for a change.

• molly September 13, 2013 at 02:18 #

Kates hair seems to be her saftey blanket. Whenever she is in an uncomfortable situation, she plays with it and hides behind it. I know her body language well, its the same thing I did when I was a self conscious 16 year old :) But unless she finds something new to fuss over, the long hair and sausage curls is here to stay forever.

• Cole September 13, 2013 at 04:19 #

I really wanted to like this dress more and I agree an updo could have improved the look drastically.

@KatieKate, one of the reasons lots of women cut their hair after giving birth is because their hair starts shedding when they stop taking prenatal pills. The vitamins in the pills (and pregnacy hormones) contribute to thicker and shinier hair during pregnancy. Some women may continue taking pills after giving birth if they are breastfeeding. So it’s possible she hasn’t needed to cut her hair if she is breastfeeding and still taking prenatal pills. She already had gorgeous hair to begin with so maybe it won’t affect her as much.

• KatieKate September 14, 2013 at 03:30 #

Dear Cole,
          I replied to your reply, but somehow it ended up as a regular comment, and is therefore way down below. :-)

9. Jacu September 12, 2013 at 22:47 #

I think the dress would be transformed with an updo of any kind. As so many have said, too much hair for this gown.

10. GGG September 12, 2013 at 23:07 #

I think she looks gorgeous.

11. scarlett September 12, 2013 at 23:17 #

I would liked to have seen her hair up but other than that she looks beautiful. Let’s not forget here that she’s just had a baby and I’m sure there are some problem areas but, you really can;t see them so as far as I’m concerned that makes the dress a great pick for her.

12. Yeliz September 12, 2013 at 23:33 #

I don’t even think that her tresses should’ve been up this time, I love the whole look. Normally I’m not such a big fan of that much sequins, but I really like this gown on her. I think this is a gorgeous post-baby look.

• kane September 13, 2013 at 09:52 #

I agree. It might not be a showstopper we will still think of this time next year, but I find it hard to find fault with this look.

13. Gloria September 13, 2013 at 01:50 #

She’s undoubtedly tired, but I’ve never seen her shoulders look so rounded forward or slumped. Can’t tell if it’s the dress, her hair or poor posture, but it takes a lot away from her appearance. Also, I like her better in color than in this neutral silver.

14. Jen C September 13, 2013 at 01:56 #

The hair is the issue. The dress, for someone who just gave birth and is breastfeeding, is quite nice. Give her a break on the top half of her dress. She’s probably not use to having her “girls” be so big!

15. molly September 13, 2013 at 02:15 #

This feels very flat to me. The gown its unremarkable and her hair is typical, and there is no jewelry to help it stand out. Had she rocked an updo, I might feel differently, but this look has been done so many times before, there is absolutely nothing to talk about. Besides, she pretty much wore this same look back in 2011 with the exception of the gown being pink. The dress and styling are incredibly similar.

16. lee September 13, 2013 at 02:57 #

For some reason, this picture makes me really, really curious to see what she’d look like with shoulder length hair. I think it’d be so refreshing.

• KatieKate September 14, 2013 at 03:31 #

Thank you!

17. Sarah September 13, 2013 at 03:08 #

The Duchess of Cambridge just gave birth two months ago. She had her pregnancy declared to the world because she did not have the luxury of privacy during a very fragile time. She and her husband stood on display in front of the world upon leaving the hospital after giving birth to their child. Most new parents want to head straight home to be with each other and their families after bringing a child into the world. THE DUCHESS IS HUMAN. Maybe, like MOST mothers, she wanted to be comfortable! So what if her hair is down…again! Maybe she is most comfortable that way! Maybe she feels most free and most herself that way! She is dressed modestly, elegantly, and with glamour. Her smile is splendidly infectious! There are many mothers who are celebrities who dress provocatively – putting on display their breasts, abdomens, buttocks, and lots of thigh, whether pre or post-natal…and no matter what age their children are. The Duchess, thankfully, shows herself to be modest; seemingly respecting herself, her husband, her marriage, family, friends, and the public. You so often praise the ensembles of provocative girls and women. You need to re-think what IS beautiful and what makes a PERSON beautiful. If you were to defend your words about her fashion saying your blog is just about fashion, I’d have to call you on that because you often write about people’s relationships in your blog within your comment’s on their fashion. If you’re going to continue to mix fashion with personality and relationships, look at how the person wearing the outfit LIVES. Thank you.

• Lee Ann September 13, 2013 at 10:50 #

well I comment only about the fashion and i find her :
      -hair too long
      -her shoes dated
      -the dress a bit drag queen
      I have been reading this blog for almost 4 -5 years and never find FC to mix personality and fashion she comments on the outfit. And only the outfit.
      I could care less if her hair is glossy and she is showing teeth-she is not a Labrador.

• dell September 13, 2013 at 11:26 #

+ 100000

• Linda September 13, 2013 at 14:08 #

agree completely with these three things.

• Sophy September 13, 2013 at 13:50 #

Oh come !! R u honestly saying shes had it rough compared the pregnant moms with all kinds of issues who still have to actually WORK?? Intrusive scrutiny is a pretty small price to pay for kind of lifestyle she gets to have for life!

• Linda September 13, 2013 at 14:05 #

I have been reading FC’s blog for over 4 years. She has shown herself to be professional and respectful in her posts. Over the years, she has come a long way in her writing skills and the level of attention to detail combined with her frank and unique take makes for an enjoyable read. She also adds a little spice with subtle humour and she makes her own preferences known. That’s part of the function of this site.

Sara: Be the change you want to see. Stop coming to sites like this and definitely stop actively participating by posting.

• LeeAnn September 13, 2013 at 18:25 #

Agreed! Well said.

• Leigh September 13, 2013 at 19:27 #

I would read the post again if I was you. Catherine expressed her opinion about the Duchess’ choice of outfit and styling. No comments were made about her personality or anything else.

I’ve been reading this blog for awhile and FC has always been respectful and professional in her comments. If she chooses to inject a little humour in her posts or make her preferences knownm well she’s entitled to. Its HER site!

Personally I find the Duchess’ style boring and this ensemble with the same hair do is no exception. You can choose to disagree, that’s your prerogative. Thank you.

18. Nicole September 13, 2013 at 04:47 #

Even though it is not that memorable compared to her past Jenny Pakham moments, it is still stunning in my opinion. Although, an undo would work better, I actually don’t mind the hair. If I had hair as gorgeous as hers, I’d never wear it up.

• Denise September 13, 2013 at 08:09 #

+1!
      We need to give her a break! She just had a baby. I certainly wasn’t looking like that when I had mine…

• Iva September 13, 2013 at 08:14 #

19. Faellie September 13, 2013 at 08:17 #

The dress has a forgiving and disguising cut round the bust but does just enough to show slim curves beneath. The all-over sequins draw the eye as required but also provide coverage against being too revealing. The hair helps to cover the back of whatever maternity underpinnings are going on.

It’s not fashion-forward, but it perfectly does the job it is supposed to. Models have one red carpet role, actresses have another, and Kate has a third. I’m glad Kate recognises this, and is not trying to go down the model/actress route. For a first post-baby evening dress, I think this was a good choice.

20. amy September 13, 2013 at 08:45 #

I don’t like it at all, the fit is terrible. It looks she has beeen swallowed by a shiny fabric. And the matching shoes are just… no

21. Rashmi September 13, 2013 at 09:53 #

Not a fan of the dress at all, the bling is just too much ! But I love how stunning she looks, and the hair is gorgeous!!

22. Jessica September 13, 2013 at 13:05 #

For all we know, HRH wears her hair up all the time at home because of the baby. Wearing it down here might’ve been a change of pace. I wonder how many of you with something snippy to day looked like a magazine cover two months after giving birth. Her body is still in a state of flux. Give her time to bounce back on her own terms.

• KatieKate September 14, 2013 at 03:41 #

Saying her hair would look better up is not snippy. I think all the Dutchess Defenders of the Universe need to calm down and realize it’s not personal. I have not seen one disrespectful comment on this post. And just b/c “she just had a baby, give her a break”, oh my is, it’s not like having a baby is some god-awful ailment that she’s ‘recovered’ from. No one is picking on her body or-god forbid-saying she looks fat. Obviously she is beautiful, I don’t think anyone even denies that. We comment on peoples’ fashion every day–it’s a fashion site. If it bothers you, you should probably not read it.

23. gabis September 13, 2013 at 14:13 #

I agree with whoever thinks her hair should be up. And I really dislike the shoes.
    Still, overall she looks great. It’s a pretty post-baby look.

24. Christine September 13, 2013 at 21:52 #

She looks pretty

25. elaine2 September 13, 2013 at 22:44 #

Well, I generally like sequins, but this dress is an epic FAIL. The nude side panels and the frumpy bodice killed it for me.

She should have worn her hair up. And had a stronger color lipstick on because the one she is wearing is washing her out. (Which is rather remarkable because she usually wears too much blush.)

The hair color looks good, much better than a couple of days ago when it appeared to be fried.

I don’t mind the shoes, but can’t say I really love them.

26. KatieKate September 14, 2013 at 03:27 #

That’s funny you say that b/c I’ve never had a baby myself, and obviously don’t know firsthand, but I have heard a bunch of different reasons from different women as to why they cut it. (Yours being the best, I might add.). For example, my mom said she did it b/c I was always grabbing and pulling it. My best friend said she did it b/c she didn’t have the time to take care of it anymore. Anyway, totally off topic, but I thought it was interesting, and I appreciate your perspective, Cole.

• KatieKate September 14, 2013 at 03:28 #

Whoops! This was meant to be a reply to Cole.

27. Dreaming of a fabulous life September 14, 2013 at 18:02 #

I think it depends on whether you have read a lot of Hello! lately or not. For those who have (magpies included), you will of course be a bit bored by this look as she always has this hair and type of dress. But fortunately for me I have not seen any Kate pictures in a while, so I adore this look. This type of dress in glitter will always do it for me.

28. D September 16, 2013 at 22:13 #

she should have wore her hair up with some nice earings