Saint Laurent vs. ASOS

Saint Laurent vs ASOS

People were shocked to discover that Saint Laurent had priced this 90s-inspired floral baby-doll dress with a Peter-Pan collar, black bow and puffed sleeves at a staggering $68,000 – especially considering that a Chanel Couture piece starts at $30,000.

Why is it so expensive? It has a lot to do with the embellishments. Quite what those embellishments consist of has not been disclosed. Rare materials from the bottom of the Blue Lagoon, perhaps.

If you haven’t got $68,000, consider this flirty ASOS frock instead, which seems to be inspired by the expensive Fall 2013 dress.

Shop the ASOS dress from ASOS US, ASOS UK and ASOS International.

Credit: Style.com & ASOS

Kimberley Walsh's Erdem Allegra Floral-Print Jersey Dress

Kimberley Walsh’s Erdem Allegra Floral-Print Jersey Dress

Jessica Biel's All Saints Patch Casey Jeans And Fendi Tassel Beaded Baguette

Jessica Biel’s All Saints Patch Casey Jeans And Fendi Tassel Beaded Baguette

16 Responses to Saint Laurent vs. ASOS

1. The Very Simon G August 28, 2013 at 11:08 #

68 THOUSAND DOLLARS??????? WHAT THE HELL IS HEDI ON??????

• KatieKate August 29, 2013 at 01:57 #

Hedi is on a serious, drug-fueled, talentless ego-trip. IMBO.

2. Alina August 28, 2013 at 11:15 #

$68,000? This is ridiculous!

3. Christine August 28, 2013 at 11:27 #

68k??? This is not even couture. He lost his mind. Especially if I can find a dress similar to that at any Marshall, Bloomingdales, Macy’s, Topshop, Asos, and Loehmans. Lol.

4. Jolene August 28, 2013 at 11:29 #

68.ooo was a PR stunt much like that backpack from the Olsen twins some time ago. When the work doesnt speak for istself one must resort for this kind of nonsense in order to get in the news. It is what Mr.Slimane’s team did.

5. Martin August 28, 2013 at 11:31 #

There is an interview in the September issue of US VOGUE in which the price of the dress is addressed.

“Many people were aghast, a few months ago, when it was reported that a nineties-inspired baby-doll dress from Slimane’s fall women’s line retailed for $68,000. Few realized that the price was a function of the hundreds of hours of tailoring involved. “What people didn’t see in the grunge was that literally 40 percent of the pieces were handmade in the old atelier,” Slimane says, done to the highest haute-couture standards. Partly, the idea was to remove the sheen of preciousness. But it was also to dignify street style with the craft that old-world techniques can allow. “

• Jolene August 28, 2013 at 12:24 #

Utterly nonsense from them.How many “hundreds of hours” one atelier needs to make a babydool dress? Well, I can take months on it if I sit there taking lines of cocaine , drinking champagne and asking myself the reason of my existence on Earth. Anyone with basic knowledge on
      the garment industry knows it is
      rubbish.

• Martin August 28, 2013 at 12:28 #

I totally agree. I’m not quite sure how “hundreds of hours of tailoring” could possibly produce a dress as basic and pedestrian as this. Yes, it may have been “handmade in the old atelier”, but there is no way this rag took hundreds of hours to create.

• Noemi August 28, 2013 at 13:17 #

I wouldn’t price this dress more than 300$ (at least is Saint Laurent, they don’t make you spend because of the quality but because you must pay the expensive life of the designers, the runway shows etc etc). If somebody is gonna spend 68,000$ for this dress… well… the price is the last of his/her issue.

• KatieKate August 29, 2013 at 01:55 #

@Jolene–funniest/best comment of the week! So true!

• AnderBoBo August 28, 2013 at 14:35 #

Hedi is literally insane if he thinks anybody who has a spare 68K would even want to dress like a 90′s Seattle grunge kid wearing a Delia’s catalog cast-off. I’m sure YSL is rolling in his grave over the direction in which the brand has gone.

6. Yeliz August 28, 2013 at 14:01 #

68.000 for a baby doll dress? This is just ridiculous and unacceptable. And “hundreds of hours of tailoring?” He is talking nonsense. He should think about people who spend their whole days tailoring but don’t get what they deserve. I would NEVER give that amount of money for clothing. I love fashion, but one should think about people who don’t have anything to wear before pricing a dress at 68.000 or spending that amount of money on a dress.

7. Markness August 28, 2013 at 14:44 #

To be honest, if I was filthy rich I wouldn’t mind paying 68,000 USD for a dress knowing the hours of labor done into it. My only problem with this is the design. It’s a babydoll dress, I mean when 2014 comes, you won’t be able to wear it. The great thing about couture is its timelessness, a piece that can be passed down to generations. I don’t know if a mother would give this short dress to her child in my opinion. Well, just go for ASOS. ;)

8. Daisy August 28, 2013 at 16:52 #

If he said hundreds diamonds encrusted in it. I believe him. There is not much going on in the tailoring of this particular dress. A professional can do it in less than a day. Total rubbish! I actually prefer the asos color for summer!

9. RNA August 28, 2013 at 18:11 #

$68,000 for a simple babydoll dress? Even from the runway photos, I’m not seeing these “embellishments” at all. Just a floral print and nothing else. As people above me said, it’s a PR stunt, and a bad one at that. I’ll choose the ASOS version, thanks.

10. Derek August 29, 2013 at 05:09 #

I looked at the dress close up and watched video footage of it, and I believe that what he is referring to when he speaks of hundreds of hours of “tailoring” he is referring to the elaborate and detailed embroidery on the dress. Every single flower on the dress was sewn by hand, so I imagine the fabric is quite beautiful in person. Unfortunately when pictures are taken, it just looks like a printed baby doll dress. Honestly, I think it’s a bit crazy for RTW to be in this price range. If you could afford this dress, you might as well get couture and have it made to fit you perfectly.