Rita Ora In Alexandre Vauthier Couture – 2013 MTV Video Music Awards #VMAs

2013 MTV Video Music Awards - Red Carpet

Rita Ora really brought the wow factor to the red carpet at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards held at the Barclay Center in New York on Sunday evening.

This Alexandre Vauthier Fall 2013 baby-blue gown was always going to make its way down a red carpet at a music event; you may remember that I had it on my Fall 2013 Couture wish list for Jennifer Lopez, but it was Rita who brought at least half of my wish to life.

Featuring a crystal embroidered long-sleeve top with a daring plunge and a dramatic feathered train with a thigh-high slit that left very little to the imagination, Rita more than does justice to this look.

The surprising thing here is that she didn’t opt for her signature red lip for which I am very grateful.

Working an even shorter bob, she completed her look with black-and-gold ankle strap Louboutin sandals.

Is there too much on display? Or does she totally nail the look for this occasion?

Rita Ora In Alexandre Vauthier Couture - 2013 MTV Video Music Awards #VMAs

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Iggy Azalea In Emilio Pucci - 2013 MTV Video Music Awards #VMAs

Iggy Azalea In Emilio Pucci – 2013 MTV Video Music Awards #VMAs

Coco Rocha In Fausto Puglisi - 2013 MTV Video Music Awards #VMAs

Coco Rocha In Fausto Puglisi – 2013 MTV Video Music Awards #VMAs

44 Comments

44 Responses to Rita Ora In Alexandre Vauthier Couture – 2013 MTV Video Music Awards #VMAs

1. Lucy August 26, 2013 at 01:51 #

Sorry but I don’t like this. She’s trying too hard. The dress works better in the runway but on her, I just don’t see it.

• julyol1972 August 26, 2013 at 05:38 #

+1 Per usual, Rita looks tacky and too try-hard. Her lower half is just too exposed to look decent in this outfit. And even her hair, which is much better than usual, looks like she studied Beyonce’s cut.

• Alina August 26, 2013 at 07:58 #

I agree with both of you.

• Noemi August 26, 2013 at 08:27 #

I agree with you, and I also think that the dress is unflattering on her (or maybe it’s just the photo). And it’s MTV, not the Oscars…

2. Christy August 26, 2013 at 01:54 #

I love it.

3. Prudence August 26, 2013 at 02:03 #

This is exactly what you were to the MTV music awards. Nailed it. I am glad she did not add any annoying extras to this look and that her makeup was kept minimal.

• KatieKate August 26, 2013 at 02:34 #

I completely agree. Although, her hair does look a bit of a Beyonce copy.

4. Nat August 26, 2013 at 02:06 #

Not a fan of this at all. It doesn’t fit her well.

5. Anj August 26, 2013 at 02:09 #

OMG. I thought this was Beyonce and couldn’t understand why she would wear such an awful look. Now it all makes sense. Rita Ora- not surprised.

• mandy August 26, 2013 at 02:32 #

Yes i thought it was Beyonce too.

• sasa August 26, 2013 at 10:28 #

This is a plain old horrible dress, not even Blanchet could save it. Also, someone erased her lips.

• reemito August 26, 2013 at 14:19 #

I thought she was Beyonce too!

• sara August 26, 2013 at 18:58 #

SO funny- I totally thought it was Beyonce at first glance, too! (probably the hair) I just think as hard as she tries, Rita is just unoriginal.. either a cheap imitation of Rihanna or Beyonce at times. And FC- I WISH JLo had worn this to bring the diva-wow-factor to life.

6. Louise August 26, 2013 at 02:23 #

I don’t like the random black strip

7. AnderBoBo August 26, 2013 at 02:36 #

I found this tacky and way over the top, especially for somebody who has barely made a blip on America’s radar.

• Christina August 26, 2013 at 08:21 #

Spot on: to wear such a showstopper seems entirely inappropriate for someone who is not on home-turf. The hair and extravagance are reminiscent of Beyoncé while the lips are more Chelsee Healey. The dropdown nature of this dress is totally lost, making it an unflattering proposition. Thumbs down!

8. Christine August 26, 2013 at 02:41 #

This is so tacky beyond belief.

9. Paulo August 26, 2013 at 02:42 #

Could just be the angle of the shot but this would’ve looked much better on someone more statuesque.

10. Angela August 26, 2013 at 02:56 #

I think she looks too showgirl for me here for several reasons.
    -Her makeup is caked on so thick I can barely spot her nose.
    -On the runway, it was presented as a drop-waist dress, which was a standout feature. Her decision to edit it makes it look generic and more trashy.
    -lastly, the train looks longer on Rita than it did on the runway, which makes it look even more attention-grabbing.
    It could’ve worked on someone else, but this look is a bomb for me.

• Nat August 26, 2013 at 03:22 #

• Quinn August 26, 2013 at 03:44 #

+2!!

• Christina August 26, 2013 at 08:29 #

11. Pedro August 26, 2013 at 02:58 #

From wannabe Rihanna to wannabe Beyoncé? SAME HAIR

Terrible make up… amazing dress on the runaway and ugly on Rita

• julyol1972 August 26, 2013 at 05:41 #

Well her hair stylist used to work at Kim Kimble’s salon, and Kim is Beyonce’s hair person. Can’t say I’m surprised that Rita is sporting that bob, since she never has an original-style thought of her own.

• towanda August 26, 2013 at 08:34 #

• Taya August 28, 2013 at 16:19 #

+1 that is EXACTLY what I thought! Poor Rita can’t seem to find an authentic place for herself. She needs to give it up.

12. Kimi August 26, 2013 at 03:10 #

I really want to like this but just doesn’t look right on her. I wish it was a drop waist like how it was presented on the runway. I think if she didn’t edit to be above her hips. I think that’s why I can’t really say I like it.

13. Kathy August 26, 2013 at 03:38 #

Love the dress, but not on her. Her face looks two shades lighter than the rest of her body (pasty makeup much?) and she doesn’t have the figure to wear something like this. It doesn’t help matters that the ankle strap pumps cut off her legs…

• Iva August 26, 2013 at 08:08 #

14. mm August 26, 2013 at 04:35 #

Love the hairstyle. I see her so much on this sight and still dont know any of music. And i dont think i will search it out

15. serenissima August 26, 2013 at 05:14 #

I thought it was Beyonce, too. The hair and makeup aren’t working for me and the dress is WAY over the top. Her usual edgy looks would’ve been more appropriate IMO.

16. Yeliz August 26, 2013 at 07:32 #

Too tacky with the plunging neckline and the thigh-high slit. She doesn’t pull it off.

17. Angela R. August 26, 2013 at 09:33 #

I think she really complies with the MTV VMA´s “dress code”, it is nasty of course but on her it looks -besides that- tacky, because of her curves. She has not the typical skinny frame, so she should learn how to carry on dresses like this without looking cheap.

18. Larissa August 26, 2013 at 09:49 #

This gown was made for stars like Beyonce or JLO!If you don’t have the attitude and confidence to pull it off it will make you look awkward like you’re trying too hard ( which is the impression she always gives me). Also I dislike hair and makeup but I’m glad she isn’t wearing a red lipstick for once.

19. Nat August 26, 2013 at 09:55 #

Not flattering (the bodice is making her look a lot wider than she is) and definitely OTT. I watched a couple of minutes of the red carpet arrivals and she was totally uncomfortable with the dress, didn’t know how to handle that gigantic train.

20. kane August 26, 2013 at 10:23 #

Tacky and unflattering.

21. Aparajita August 26, 2013 at 10:40 #

I can’t get past the make up.
    Absolutely dislike this dress on her.

22. Jai August 26, 2013 at 11:03 #

her face looks like it’s covered in some kind of body paint.

23. vanillarose August 26, 2013 at 11:12 #

I thought this dress would look awful seeing it on the runway, but it actually looks better than I imagined. It’s still a bit much for any event though.

24. Betelgeuze August 26, 2013 at 13:44 #

While Rita’s streetstyle is usually so not my cup of tea, I find her red carpet looks hit or miss, this sadly being a miss from me. The easiest way to desribe my feelings is saying that this is a late Heidi Klum with an ostentatious long trail.
    I never liked the dress in the first place, and the combination of keeping the low plunge neck, putting the belt a bit higher and washing out makeup would look bad on any woman who’s not size zero, IMHO.

25. Mel August 26, 2013 at 13:49 #

I always thought this dress was made for Jennifer Lopez, and after seeing Rita in it I know I was right. I love the sandals but that’s all.

26. charlotte August 26, 2013 at 14:24 #

I’m sorry,Rita. Let’s face it,you don’t have the body to pull off this dress.
    I quite like the new hair cut though,other than that ,this look is totally forgetable

27. Marko_M August 26, 2013 at 14:42 #

I didn’t like this dress on the runway (too tacky) and I sure as hell don’t like it on Rita. An epic miss.

28. katie August 30, 2013 at 16:46 #

Mm I just don’t think Rita is tall enough to wear this look, the dress is wearing her. As you said FC I can see JL rocking it!