09.08.13 Premiere

Amber Heard In Vionnet – ‘Paranoia’ LA Premiere

Amber Heard In Vionnet - 'Paranoia' LA Premiere

As one of my faves, I was excited to see Amber Heard take to the red carpet for the ‘Paranoia’ premiere, which was held at the DGA Theater in Los Angeles, California yesterday evening.

Maybe my expectations were way too high, but my immediate response to her in this Vionnet dress was disappointment.

Realising that I wasn’t giving the sky-blue-black-and-ivory draped dress with a navy skirt and ivory beaded embellishments a chance because the look didn’t scream va-va-voom, I tried to give it another shot, but after seeing it from every angle, especially the back, the only thing I like about the look is the mix of colours.

The silhouette doesn’t work for me as I don’t think it is doing anything for her.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this look, as I think I was far too expectant to see this look clearly.

Credit: Getty

Margot Robbie In Osman - BBC Breakfast

Margot Robbie In Osman – BBC Breakfast

Vanessa Kirby In Matthew Williamson - ‘About Time’ World Premiere

Vanessa Kirby In Matthew Williamson – ‘About Time’ World Premiere

26 Responses to Amber Heard In Vionnet – ‘Paranoia’ LA Premiere

1. Charlotte August 9, 2013 at 09:57 #

Her make up is perfect, her hair is great, she is really beautiful here.
    But I don’t like the dress. From the back, it’s a mess and from the front is not horrible but nothing really great neither. Plus, I don’t like the white print.

2. TL August 9, 2013 at 09:59 #

Don’t like it either. The back looks unfinished, it looks like she is wearing a light blue dress + a navy maxi skirt instead of a gown.

The only thing I like is her makeups.

3. Alina August 9, 2013 at 10:00 #

IMO, this is a mess. I’m disappointed.

• Christine August 9, 2013 at 14:20 #

Such a horrible look. She cannot do High Fashion. This is all types of fug.

4. mattison August 9, 2013 at 10:04 #

Despite the beautiful blue, the contrast is too great which translates as her being encased in a sloppy looking dress over another dress. The whole thing looks tossed-together, which I guess is why her hair looks so frizzy and messy. And yet all that I could even forgive if only her makeup didn’t add to the overall tired, blase feel of the whole look. Definitely a miss.

5. Suze August 9, 2013 at 10:11 #

I’m so disappointed. She can do so much better.

6. Eimear August 9, 2013 at 10:18 #

She looks like she in a 70’s play… :p Awful!

7. Alicat August 9, 2013 at 10:23 #

Agree with those above. It looks like a mini dress worn over a long dress. It is bitty, uncoordinated and altogether unflattering. I can find nothing I like about this dress except the sky blue colour.

8. Kathy August 9, 2013 at 10:41 #

This is a very awkward dress. There’s just so much going on, between the draping,what seems like two dresses sewn together and the navy halter contraption at the top.

9. Larissa August 9, 2013 at 10:54 #

I would have preferred the dress to be either completely blue or made up of two bright contrasting colours . Regarding the shape, I don’t think this is a flattering choice for her-maybe i would have like it better if the skirt had a more architectural shape to contrast the upper part.

10. Jai August 9, 2013 at 12:04 #

That’s an awful mess of a dress. And her hair is not great either.

11. Mandy August 9, 2013 at 12:18 #

Like you FC my expectations were sky high, so im very dissapointed. That being said its nice that she is shaking it up a bit, even if its not my favourite dress.

12. dee August 9, 2013 at 13:16 #

This dress has too much fabric especially at the bottom half. That white part on the back of hte dress looks out of place. Hair and makeup are lovely as usual.

13. Anne August 9, 2013 at 13:25 #

I am going to call this a “Inspired by Scarlett O’Hara- Poor Man’s version.” It looks like the designer pulled up some bed sheets and glued a few pieces together for a toga. Completely unflattering on her hips and the pattern on the skirt is completely out of place. Only nice thing I can say is that her makeup is flawless

14. Linda August 9, 2013 at 13:58 #

I really like it. I like the colours, the graceful draping, the lines. She looks like a queen from Roman times. She is so incredibly beautiful.

15. Rebecca Z August 9, 2013 at 16:11 #

I also dislike the dress. It has way too much going on. I like her hair and makeup.

16. Maryam August 9, 2013 at 16:26 #

I like the dress a lot. I don’t understand the back really. I wanna grab whatever is hanging out on the back and tuck it in but I like the dress as a whole.

17. Marybeth August 9, 2013 at 16:53 #

The dress is awful. Waaaay too much going on and awkwardly constructed.
    With such a fussy garment, a messy hairdo just adds to the sloppy effect.
    A rare fail for Ms. Heard.
    (Love her make-up and smile though.)

18. Nat39 August 9, 2013 at 17:20 #

Same here. Disappointment. Sloppy mess, not a very tasteful/well thought-out design.

19. Daisy August 9, 2013 at 18:01 #

Don’t like the color combo. The button blk is so heavy. Cool color hue is not this summer.

20. julyol1972 August 9, 2013 at 18:03 #

Major fail!!! She looks like she wearing a dress from the early 1900’s with the bustle in the back. All she needs is a wide-brimmed floral hat and an umbrella.

21. gabis August 9, 2013 at 20:20 #

It’s an awkward piece and like someone else said it does looks like a mini dress worn over a long one specially in the back.
    However I can’t help it falling in love with her flawless hair, makeup and styling, the fantastic mix of colours and how they work so beautifully against her skin tone.
    It may not be the jaw dropping look that everybody was expecting but given this is a hard dress to pull it off I think she does it pretty well.

22. daisy August 9, 2013 at 21:55 #

whoa! no one could pull this dress off and especially not a girl with beautiful curves. if anyone someone who is rail thin with a boyish figure might have a slight chance (and that’s only because it adds volume on the hips and bust).
    why she chose this is beyond words. why her stylist chose this is beyond words. how this got out is beyond belief. one of the worst red carpet moments in history to me.

23. TeaAtTwo August 9, 2013 at 23:33 #

I like how doesn’t usually go down the obvious vixen route and I adore the colour scheme but this looks too uncomplementary around the hips.

24. KatieKate August 10, 2013 at 02:17 #

Okay, so I have to give the girl credit for flexing her fashion muscle, instead of being complacent in the tried and true formula to which she is accustom, and comfortable with. It would have been very easy to go that well-travelled route. But, she went for something widely regarded as fashion forward, or at the very least one must admit, fashion risky. Did it pay off? Well, that really depends on the beholder—as they say. Not to mention, how she feels about it. Personally, I do not like it. But as I said, it does earn her some points for creativity, and makes me think she might not be a one trick pony–that trick being bombshell. I also blame Vionnet, to a certain extent. They have been responsible for a vast array of bad looks as of late. I don’t know if this is one of their so-called ‘demi-couture’ pieces, but Lord willing, this will be their first as well as their last of that type of collection. May they stick to ready-to-wear.

25. Eve_V August 10, 2013 at 02:18 #

I can’t think of anyone who could bring this dress to shine. From the front it looks overly complicated and fussy, and from the back it is simply unfinished. Her makeup is flawless as usual though.