23.07.13

Sophie, Countess of Wessex In Antonio Berardi - British Wheelchair Basketball Announcement

Sophie, Countess of Wessex was announced as Royal Patron for British Wheelchair Basketball in London earlier today.

When asked about the birth of Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge’s son, an elated Sophie said she feels “ridiculously happy” for the new parents.

“I’m so excited for them both,” she said, smiling broadly. “It’s a wonderful event. Everybody’s absolutely thrilled as you can imagine.”

She wore a white Antonio Berardi form-fitting crepe dress which creates a beautiful hourglass silhouette and features cut-out details at the neckline.

The dress couldn’t be more perfect, so it’s a shame about the styling.

Her raffia clutch gets a pass, but the nude sheer tights and nude pumps combo lets down all the good work going on here.

You may remember that Kristin Davis wore a flirtatious fit-and-flare version of this dress on Leno last month.

335876_in_xl

You can buy Sophie’s Antonio Berardi dress in blue from Net-A-Porter International, Matches Fashion Global, Matches Fashion UK and Browns Fashion.

Credit: Getty

Zendaya Coleman In Peter Pilotto - Pre-BET Awards Dinner

Zendaya Coleman In Peter Pilotto – Pre-BET Awards Dinner

Selena Gomez In Antonio Berardi, Barbara Bui & Houghton - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Selena Gomez In Antonio Berardi, Barbara Bui & Houghton – The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

18 Responses to Sophie, Countess of Wessex In Antonio Berardi – British Wheelchair Basketball Announcement

1. Yeliz July 23, 2013 at 16:37 #

I prefer Kristin’s version, but the white does look good on Sophie. The styling is very uninspiring though.

I am thrilled about the royal baby boy too, couldn’t be more happy for them! Big congrats!

2. Alina July 23, 2013 at 16:41 #

I think this is one step in the right direction for Sophie. Baby steps, baby steps.

3. kane July 23, 2013 at 16:48 #

I’m not a huge fan of the dress, but she looks very elegant. The styling is a shame though.

4. ggggg July 23, 2013 at 17:17 #

Don’t mind the clutch but the shoes and the hosiery are a tragedy.It’s a shame because it’s such a good dress.

Is it a requirement for the royals to wear tights at their engagement? DoC wears them, but sometime it looks like she doesn’t.

• KatieKate July 23, 2013 at 19:44 #

That is what I wondered. If so, totally understandable. But, if not, a major faux pas.

• Moxie July 23, 2013 at 19:53 #

I read somewhere that it was a requirement. Apparently no bare legs allowed, at least during official engagements.

• molly July 23, 2013 at 22:43 #

It is a requirement, Kate wore them a lot when the were first married (likely because she didnt want to mess up) but she seems to have thrown them out the window since then. But yes, it is a requirement.

5. Rebecca Z July 23, 2013 at 17:50 #

I can live with the shoes but think the clutch is clunky. Love her hair and makeup, the dress and the jewelry.

6. dee July 23, 2013 at 18:43 #

Her styling of the dress brings things down.

7. Marybeth July 23, 2013 at 20:05 #

I love both versions of the dress and think Kristen and Sophie each made the right choice for themselves. Certainly Sophie’s look could have been punched up to a higher level with better shoes and clutch but it’s still nice enough.

I don’t mind nude hose/tights with closed-toe shoes as long as they are not obvious. When you can’t even tell from the photo whether she is wearing them or not, I frankly don’t see the problem.

• CreoleLady July 24, 2013 at 13:50 #

ITA on all points.

8. Carolina July 23, 2013 at 20:07 #

Love the dress, hate the shoes. And I simply do not understand the hosiery hatred, in fact am offended by it. Look, I have some rather ugly veins from childbirth. I suppose I can never be stylish, because I find that hose mask the veins to some extent. One must be young and unblemished to be stylish, is that it?

• dee July 23, 2013 at 22:36 #

I agree on the hosiery hatred. I don’t mind hosiery either as long as it compliments the outfit. Not everyone feels comfortable with bare legs.

• KatieKate July 24, 2013 at 00:30 #

Not at all, my feeling is that you shouldn’t have to feel compelled to cover up said ‘blemishes’. I think hosiery is considered very old fashioned BECAUSE it suggests you should have to mask yourself. Not that you’re not stylish BECAUSE you have veins on your legs. We are all less than perfect. I have some unsightly veins on my legs too, but you won’t catch me enduring the utter discomfort in order to conform to some ideal of perfection. You just might have to endure looking at my imperfect legs before I’ll restrict myself.

• Alicat July 24, 2013 at 04:44 #

It is very much a fashion. During WW2 when nylons were scarce, ladies used leg tan and drew a seam on the back of the leg to give the illusion of stockings. Bare legged was out! In the 50s it was unseemly to go bare legged. Polished looks required stockings. The invention of pantyhose revolutionised the wearing of hosiery as they were so much more comfortable than the old suspenders and stockings. Their popularity grew from their introduction in the late 50s through the 60s and 70s, especially with the advent of the miniskirt. As for me, I would not wear hosiery in summer as it is just too hot where I live, but in winter I do for warmth, and the gorgeous styles which are around now can actually add to an outfit. PS. I am interested in fashion history!!

• dee July 24, 2013 at 13:27 #

I was just gonna say that in the winter it is so cold tights are essential. Plus they can be very stylish.

9. Lalaine July 24, 2013 at 00:04 #

Not a good look. She looks like a desperate housewife.

10. Christine July 24, 2013 at 02:50 #

I like the blue version better.