15.07.13

Claire Danes for Vogue US August 2013

claire-danes-cover-story-06_134646500817

Claire Danes graces the cover of American Vogue’s August 2013 issue wearing a Burberry Prorsum Fall 2013 trench coat with a gabardine body overlaid with a rubber rain shield, gun flaps and sleeves.

The editorial, which was shot by Annie Leibovitz, features Claire with her ‘Homeland’ co-star Damian Lewis in what looks like actual scenes from the show.

With the main difference being Carrie has traded in her boring black pantsuits for a grey Victoria Beckham dress, a sexy backless Calvin Klein frock, a chic Hermes coat, a sleek Narciso Rodriguez gown and a racy red Donna Karan sheath.

In her interview, Claire shares details of her comeback after having trouble landing roles following her award-winning role in ‘Temple Grandin’, for which she won Best Actress awards at the Emmys, Golden Globes and the Screen Actors Guild Awards, as well as talking about becoming a mom and meeting Barack Obama.

You can the whole interview over at Vogue.com. Here are some extracts.

On the worldwide popularity of Homeland: “We have a phenomenal number of illegal downloads in Lebanon.”

On not finding work for two years following ‘Temple Grandin': “It was confusing. I got a lot of plaudits, and it didn’t translate into more work. I was really, really struggling during that time. After a while you have to start to doubt yourself. It was grim. I was very hurt. Two years of not working was brutal. And a point came where I thought, I really like interior design. Someone suggested, ‘Maybe your real success is in your personal life.’”

On attending the Golden Globes as a new mom: “I went on the red carpet, went upstairs, fed Cyrus. Went into the ceremony, got the award, went back to feed Cyrus, went out again. . . . Then it was ‘Now you meet the president.’ I had these new boobs; I’m wearing a big Jessica Rabbit dress, and I’d been living in sweat pants for so long. . . . It was strange. It was dreamy, surrounded by my parents and my husband. It was one of the best nights of my life because of this perfect mash-up.”

On today’s female movie stars: “I’m so impressed by Jennifer Lawrence and Carey Mulligan. They have this exquisite taste. They are very gifted in their ability to make great choices. I didn’t have that rudder. There’s the movie star that plays herself and the movie star like Meryl [Streep] that has this wonderful, glamorous persona intact and is undone every time she takes on a new character. I think I’m astounded and titillated by that.”

Credit: Annie Leibovitz for American Vogue

16 Comments
Rihanna In Gareth Pugh - Yahoo! Wireless Festival Day 3

Rihanna In Gareth Pugh – Yahoo! Wireless Festival Day 3

Must-Have Monday

Must-Have Monday

16 Responses to Claire Danes for Vogue US August 2013

1. Charlotte July 15, 2013 at 15:58 #

OMG the cover is awful ! Way too much photoshop, I didn’t recognize her !
    The editorial is great though.

• manja July 16, 2013 at 08:34 #

+1,when you do not recognise someone then you know something is wrong,horrible photo shop

2. JJovana3 July 15, 2013 at 16:00 #

The cover is terrible, boring and re-touched to seven hells, but the editorial is amazing. It really captures Carrie’s disfynctional relationship with brody.

3. Christine July 15, 2013 at 16:14 #

Big fan of Homeland, so I like the editorial. Beautiful. As for the cover? Could’ve been better.

4. Kathy July 15, 2013 at 16:15 #

I hate the cover shot. It looks like a cheesy stock photo or postcard, what with the grassy countryside scenery in the background.

5. dee July 15, 2013 at 17:20 #

Meh.

6. Markness July 15, 2013 at 17:21 #

Claire Danes is gorgeous but damn she looks horrible in the cover. WTF Happened? Retouched for the wrong reason.

7. Yeliz July 15, 2013 at 19:25 #

The editorial is nice, but not the cover.

8. Mol July 15, 2013 at 22:07 #

The editorial makes me believe there is some (yes, imaginary) heat between Brody and Claire in a way that the series itself does not – I hope they let sexy Claire appear in season 3!

9. KatieKate July 15, 2013 at 23:37 #

I am so glad I’m not the only one who was horrified by that cover. Sooo bad. But the other photos are beautiful, wouldn’t it be awesome if she dressed like that on the show?! I’m very intrigued by the fact that she couldn’t find work after her phenomenal portrayal of Temple Grand in and subsequent awards. I have heard that this is often the case for actresses after winning an Oscar. One example that comes to mind is Halle Berry after winning for Monster’s Ball. I don’t think she’s had a decent role since. Anyway, I digress…

• julyol1972 July 16, 2013 at 00:02 #

+2 on the horrible, photo-shopped to death, unrecognizable cover.

Glad that you did digress KatieKate. Halle actually did two movies after winning that stood out in my mind, but were pretty small, and independent-ish. “Things We Lost In The Fire” and “Their Eyes Were Watching God”

• KatieKate July 16, 2013 at 01:52 #

I didn’t see the first one, but you’re right, ‘Their Eyes’ was very well acted.

• Derro July 16, 2013 at 00:40 #

Claire did not win an Oscar. Temple Grand was on television.

• KatieKate July 16, 2013 at 01:50 #

I know that. I said Claire won several awards. Then I said I heard that Oscar winning actresses have similar problems. But reading it back, I can see how it makes it sound that way.

10. Prudence July 16, 2013 at 03:33 #

wowowowowowowowow, and I thought they did Michelle dirty for her cover, this is some horrendous affair!! I cannot believe no one at vogue could stop this madness from being published!!! Her facial expression is just awful as well I simply do not understand how they allowed this to be shown to the public!!! Also the color of her coat doesnt look great with the greenery in the back. Overall its a big fat fail for this cover.

11. msd July 16, 2013 at 11:22 #

Vogue covers are almost always awful, well the US ones are (Australian Vogue currently has a nice cover with Sofia Coppola). Why they must Photoshop the hell out of it is beyond me, especially when inside the mag things usually look so much better. Sigh.