08.07.13

Victoria Beckham for Vogue China August 2013

Victoria Beckham Vogue China

Victoria Beckham graces the August 2013 cover of Vogue China, which was shot by Josh Olins and sees the designer wearing Tiffany & Co. silver hooped earrings and a Nina Ricci Fall 2013 ensemble that we saw fellow Brit Carey Mulligan wear to the Australian premiere of ‘The Great Gatsby’.

In the rest of her editorial, we see a beautiful black-and-white close-up shot, and VB wearing a Prada coat.

In the issue, she opens up about juggling motherhood and running her expanding fashion empire.

On juggling work and motherhood: “When you are successful the hardest thing is maintaining that level of success, so you work harder to maintain what you have achieved. It’s a huge juggling act, when you are a working mother and looking after your family, millions and millions of women around the world are doing this every day. But it’s not easy and yes, you feel guilty every time you walk out of the door to go to work.”

On seeing women wearing her dresses: “I have been in the limelight for over 20 years. I am not on an ego trip, empowering women and making them feel sexy and great when they wear my clothes means more than thousands of people clapping. Empowering women is what makes me feel good.”

On Chinese women and her Chinese fans: “I love China. The women really understand fashion and I can honestly say the women who come to my events are some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. They have remarkable bodies and are happy and positive and I love that. I think they know what looks good, how to accessorise and have beautiful hair and flawless skin. When I come to China I get given many little gifts and notes from the fans and that genuinely means a lot to me.”

Credit: Josh Olins for Vogue China

Deepika Padukone In Naeem Khan - ‘Chennai Express’ Music Launch

Deepika Padukone In Naeem Khan – ‘Chennai Express’ Music Launch

24th Golden Melody Awards

24th Golden Melody Awards

14 Responses to Victoria Beckham for Vogue China August 2013

1. Christine July 8, 2013 at 15:12 #

Wow, that B&W close up shot is gorgeous!

2. AlexZ July 8, 2013 at 15:15 #

I thought that was Emma Watson!

• Catsi July 8, 2013 at 18:21 #

• Carla July 8, 2013 at 20:14 #

• serapart July 8, 2013 at 20:02 #

yes me too!!!

3. Beta July 8, 2013 at 15:27 #

I LOVE that cover

4. Barenya July 8, 2013 at 17:02 #

j’ adore!!

5. KatieKate July 8, 2013 at 19:16 #

Wow. I am quite impressed with Victoria’s candid statements. I have always had an ambivalent attitude in regards to her and what has seemed to me to be a lack of depth or personality. But I have heard that sometimes she comes off negatively b/c of her perceived coldness, due in large part, to her facial expressions. This interview seems to support that. She sounds very thoughtful and intelligent, in fact even warm and sincere. I am interested to read more about her, and I would even purchase a magazine with her on the cover.

• ladyoflettuce July 9, 2013 at 00:33 #

I don’t think it’s very thoughtful at all. Thousands of women may be working and mothering as hard as she but she is living in la la land if she thinks her life bears any resemblance to theirs. Secondly, as much as I abhor the idea that women in her position should have to be an example to women everywhere, I fail to see how her clothes “:empower” women. Only a small percent can afford them for a start. The fashion industry is not built around empowerment but rather appeals to women’s sense of lack and inadequacy. Look at her posture; the protruding bones, the concave chest–these are signs of shrinkage and defeat.

• julyol1972 July 9, 2013 at 03:57 #

I’m sorry, but I don’t get your point. Should she apologize for her life because you don’t get why her role as a mother and a business women is a difficult balancing act? As she said, this issue is true for women the world over, whether they are a CEO or a housekeeper – the point is, if you have children and also work, trying to create a balance and not giving too much to either is hard. This is especially true where nannies are involved because the world then looks at you as if you are really not fulfilling the “mother-role” as you are expected to. Her problems are hers, just as yours are yours. Why are hers diminished because you think her money and/or negates them. Also, Victoria was seen as a non-talented “singer” who happened to luck out and fall into the biggest girl band ever – she acknowledged that she didn’t think she was any good at it and went after her first love which was fashion. How is going after your dream and being successful at it not empowering to women? Whether all women can afford her clothes or not is beside the point, what is really the issue is that she has made herself a success outside her husband or the Spice Girls. Lastly, the pose on the front cover is just that, a pose – not in my opinion any reflection of a sense inadequacy or defeat. I actually think she is a very strong, confident, hard-working woman who unfortunately, has some of the same issues that all working women the world over seem to have.

• LOL July 9, 2013 at 07:14 #

you are sooo wrong. having talented husband and his money can make you successfull. with HIS MONEY you can have nannys for your kids and talented people who are giving Victoria ideas for “her” fashion line. She is only successfull in having a rich man.

• julyol1972 July 9, 2013 at 19:58 #

How do you know it was his money and his name that made her? Victoria was more successful than David and was more famous than he before they got married. Yes, being married to him didn’t hurt her reputation, but look how many spouses of famous people have tried and failed to have successful business of their own. Whether you want to admit it or not, Victoria has created her own brand and has been smart about it by being her own best ambassador. Also, why is everyone so snobby because she didn’t go to fashion school? Have you sat in the meetings with her and her team to see what she does and doesn’t contribute, or are you repeating what you’ve read in the media?

6. Yeliz July 8, 2013 at 19:24 #

It’s a great editorial.

7. Jessica July 9, 2013 at 00:06 #

What a beautiful cover. I love her! She always looks so gorgeous!