05.07.13

Haute Couture Fall 2013 Red Carpet Wish List

Couture Wish List 1

With Fall 2013 Couture week behind us and the first piece already taken to the red carpet, here is a roundup of the looks I would love to see on the red carpet and who I would like to see wearing them.

Alexandre Vauthier Couture: This bedazzled and feathered confection has Grammys, Billboard Awards or MTV Music Awards written all over it, so this look gave me a bit of a conundrum. I would love to see it on Katy Perry because the blue would be divine against her pale skin and dark hair; however, with such a deep plunge and being so well endowed, it could be a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen, so I switched my final choice to Jennifer Lopez, who would work that slit like no other.

Alexis Mabille Couture: While the burlesque queen Dita von Teese loves black, she does step out of her comfort zone from time to time. This puff-sleeved blouse and floral skirt combo would be a refreshing change. It would be too much to ask for the runway styling, as we all know she loves those retro waves and red lips, but I’m pretty confident she could pull this look off.

Couture Wish List 2

Armani Prive: This was by far my favourite collection during Fall 2013 Couture week. It was Mr Armani at his very best, giving us old Hollywood glam which will grace red carpets from now until the Oscars 2014 and beyond, such is the timeless beauty of each piece. My pick was this breathtaking beaded gown with a sheer yoke for Anne Hathaway. You might be thinking this will wash her out; however, the model has the same colouring as the Oscar-winning actress, so I would be excited to see her wearing this to some grand occasion very soon.

Atelier Versace: This look is more one that stood out rather than a favourite. Kate Moss immediately sprang to mind, followed by Rihanna. A slightly modified version would make a great performance look.

Couture Wish List 3

Chanel Couture: I always struggle with Chanel looks because they always end up looking much improved on the red carpet than the runway, so this is another case of standing out rather than a favourite look. I would love to see this on Kate Beckinsale. While she loves frou frou and pastel pieces, this is still girlie with a side step out of her comfort zone. Making this knee length might be a better option.

Christian Dior Couture: Looking at Dior I was only asking myself, what would Marion Cotillard wear? So I selected this colourful shimmering woven net-like A-line dress. Marion is at heart a fashion daredevil, so I picked this look as it was less predictable than the expected gowns.

Couture Wish List 4

Elie Saab Couture: I was blown away by this red beaded gown and my first thought was that this needs to be worn by a megastar, so Nicole Kidman immediately sprang to mind. Ever since Cannes my love for Nicole has increased tenfold, and I need to see her have another movie star moment; this gown would give her that.

Giambattista Valli Couture: With one GBV Couture gown already crossed off the list, my pick is this unique colour-block look, which I instantly selected for Zoe Saldana. With her gorgeous model figure, and love for colour and not-easy-to-pull-off looks, I could easily see her working this divine piece on the red carpet.

Couture Wish List 5

Valentino Couture: When I think of Valentino, I think of Keira Knightley, even though the British star has strong ties with Chanel. As she loves a big gown with a period feel, I think this gown with a velvet bodice and printed full skirt would be perfect for her, especially if she incorporated the runway styling.

Zuhair Murad Couture: Zuhair Murad is usually a favourite of Jennifer Lopez and now Kristen Stewart, but this tree-vine printed and embellished gown has me thinking of a more subtle beauty like Rose Byrne.

Credit: Style.com

Celebrities Love...Giuseppe Zanotti 'Alien' Sandals

Celebrities Love…Giuseppe Zanotti ‘Alien’ Sandals

Tilda Swinton's Haider Ackermann Silk-Blend Herringbone Jacquard Jacket

Tilda Swinton’s Haider Ackermann Silk-Blend Herringbone Jacquard Jacket

48 Responses to Haute Couture Fall 2013 Red Carpet Wish List

1. Marko_M July 5, 2013 at 14:06 #

FC, I love your picks! It seems that great minds really do think alike, because I also envisioned RiRi in this Atelier Versace piece :) http://socksandbirkenstocks.tumblr.com/post/54421876764/atelier-versace-fall-2013

• Catherine Kallon July 5, 2013 at 14:16 #

JINX :)

2. AnderBoBo July 5, 2013 at 14:10 #

Flawless predictions, I wouldn’t be surprised if Miley Cyrus wore that Atelier Versace look. I’d also love to see Jessica Chastain in that Elie Saab.

• JD July 7, 2013 at 13:52 #

3. Paulyne July 5, 2013 at 14:10 #

I LOVE your wishlist ! I agree on everything. My favorites collections are Elie Saab and Armani Privé , I can’t decide which one I prefer. I’m disappointed by the Christian Dior collection. I think the Zuhair Murad collection is an improvement from the previous collection as I would never have thought about Rose Byrne wearing a Zuhair Murad gown but here , I think it would work perfectly.

• Paulyne July 5, 2013 at 14:12 #

FC, do you have a favorite from the Stéphane Rolland collection? Nieves Alvarez opened and closed the show ;)

• Catherine Kallon July 5, 2013 at 14:16 #

oh…I missed that…they need to add him to Style.com.

This one for Beyonce perhaps http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/model-walks-the-runway-during-stephane-rolland-show-as-part-news-photo/172491462

• Paulyne July 5, 2013 at 14:49 #

Yes, it’s sad that his collection aren’t on style.com …

I love your suggestion ;)

• Catherine Kallon July 5, 2013 at 15:01 #

many thanks x

• KatieKate July 5, 2013 at 17:42 #

I can’t imagine why style.com doesn’t feature Stephane Rolland, I had actually not heard of him or seen his amazing work until reading this blog. I was excited when I saw that Nieves opened and closed the show also, and thought of you, FC, but I figured you were 10 steps ahead of me.

• Catherine Kallon July 5, 2013 at 14:14 #

OMG yes for Jessica Chastain too

4. Yeliz July 5, 2013 at 14:14 #

I would LOVE to see Keira in that Valentino gown, Nicole in that Elie Saab gown and Anne in that Armani Privé gown. J’adore each one of them.

• KatieKate July 5, 2013 at 17:50 #

I would like to see Anne in that Armani Prive as well, but I must say, I was so surprised to see you picked that dress, FC, as I know you have a particular distaste for illusion necklines, right??

• Catherine Kallon July 5, 2013 at 19:59 #

If done right I do like them. It’s when they are so obvious that I don’t like them

• KatieKate July 5, 2013 at 23:51 #

I see, that makes sense…obviously this Armani is done perfectly.

5. nh July 5, 2013 at 14:49 #

i think the same!!! When I think of Valentino, I think of Keira Knightley. I feel like you read my mind :P

and I couldn’t agree more with elie saab gown. i can literally see Nicole Kidman wearing it

your the best FC

• Catherine Kallon July 5, 2013 at 15:01 #

You are sooooo sweet….thanks honey x

6. Namel July 5, 2013 at 15:21 #

I ADORE the Zuhair Murad gown! I imagine a dozen actresses who would have worn that to perfection! I also love the Armani gown. It needs a classy godess moment. Anne Hathaway is a great choice i easily imagine her wearing it but i want someone older and more unexpected like Jodie Foster,Angela Bassett or even Julia Roberts.

7. Derro July 5, 2013 at 16:16 #

I picked out that Dior dress for JLaw! Hope to see it worn on the red carpet by SOMEONE – it’s a beautiful piece.

8. Beth Rodrigues July 5, 2013 at 17:17 #

I’m still laughing..your pick for JLo..you pick on her for always doing the diva trick with boobage and leg.Then you pick that “gown” Very funny

• Catherine Kallon July 6, 2013 at 06:28 #

Pick on her? Wow…I thought I was critiquing her looks not picking on her like a school bully.

• Bec July 7, 2013 at 10:17 #

You are one of the most professional fashion critics around Catherine, I always find you to be very fair and I appreciate that you bring your personality and sense of humour to your posts.

I would never say that you ‘pick on’ anyone!

• Catherine Kallon July 8, 2013 at 07:28 #

9. Prudence July 5, 2013 at 17:45 #

I think Jessica instead of Nicole in that dress like we would all pass out because it would be so great!! Also there are a lot of things in the Versace collection that I am dying to see Rihanna or Beyonce in it! Now that dresss for JLO is a big nono, we do not need to see her doing any more leg and boobage. Y’all know if she wears that she will look tacky as hell and none of us will like it.
    I hope nobody attempts to wear the Zuhair, Valentino and Alexis Mabille clothes because they were mostly a hot mess in my opinion whcih will lead you straight to being a worst dressed.

10. KatieKate July 5, 2013 at 17:47 #

This post is so fun! I love seeing your picks and predictions. Since I have started reading this blog I find myself looking at the collections from the perspective of what will look best on the RC and on whom. So much more fun that way! Can’t wait for awards season!

11. Rashmi July 5, 2013 at 19:17 #

Love that Valli gown u picked FC! Only person other than Zoe who could pull it off wud be Diane Kruger! Hope they are listening or reading actually

12. julyol1972 July 5, 2013 at 19:24 #

I actually see Rihanna in the first dress, in another color as I can’t remember ever seeing her wear blue. Not sure where she would wear it, as the dress may too OTT for the Grammys but she has knocked it out the park dress-wise from time to time, so this is not too impossible to imagine.

13. moonbeam July 5, 2013 at 20:48 #

I can definitely see Zoe Saldana in the Valli gown.

14. dcw July 5, 2013 at 21:32 #

I need Nicole Kidman to wear that Elie Saab gown at some point during her Grace of Monaco press tour or during awards season. A definite showstopper and someone like Nicole would pull it off beautifully.

15. Nat39 July 6, 2013 at 00:07 #

Gb Valli is spot-on, Zoe is the 1st one who comes to mind when it comes to pulling off such tricky unusual gowns. The Armani Prive gown is my fave, thinking someone a bit more mature Amy Adams or Emily Blunt. For Alexis Mabille – Bella Heathcote or Emmy Rossum (with the runway styling)

• Nat39 July 6, 2013 at 00:41 #

The stunning red Elie Saab gown would be a dream on Olga Kurilenko with her fair skin, dark hair and fragile physique.

• Mandy July 6, 2013 at 00:50 #

Ooohh yes please. Now that you’ve said it, i want it. Olga would look stunning.

16. Christine July 6, 2013 at 01:36 #

Great choices!

17. Fashion Guru July 6, 2013 at 03:14 #

The choice for Nicole is inspired— but she would never go for that silhouette. In a perfect world, she should go for the Alexis Mabille gown. Beautiful.

18. Shannon July 6, 2013 at 08:37 #

I would love to see Uma Thurman in that red Elie Saab!

19. Rahul July 6, 2013 at 10:26 #

Aishwarya Rai in that crimson Elie Saab gown.. That would be the best red carpet look of all times!

• KatieKate July 6, 2013 at 12:07 #

Oooooh yes.

20. Mm July 6, 2013 at 12:50 #

Love the picks for Keira and nicole

21. Ana July 6, 2013 at 13:51 #

The Zuhair Murad you picked for Rose Byrne is absolutely amazing, so beautiful!

22. ramsay July 7, 2013 at 18:51 #

Great choices FC!
    I especially love you choice for Zoe
    I think the below JPG dress would also work for Nicole too (without the bolero)
    Because Nicole + JPG collaboration is always a winner one
    I actually think that a few Chanel looks from the latest show have the potential to look great when modified
    I think the below dress would also look great on the red carpet (on Sarah Jessica maybe)

• KatieKate July 8, 2013 at 22:34 #

These are both good, offbeat choices for RC. Like that you’re thinking outside the box, I try to do that too.

23. KatieKate July 8, 2013 at 22:40 #

Since no one else has commented on the dress you chose for Dita von Teese, I just want to say I think it’s inspired. Not many could carry something like that off, but certainly she could, and it is a stunner which I would die to see on the RC!

24. Tsam July 16, 2013 at 06:33 #

I also picked those pieces from Armani Privé, Giambattista Valli and Elie Saab. I think I also would love to see Jessica Chastain on that red gown, it feels regal like Jessica especially after I saw her with the white Versace gown at Cannes. xx

25. katie August 30, 2013 at 16:33 #

Wow FC you so know your stuff as always!!As stated, flawless predictions,I can totally envisage every single person in each outfit. Kiera Knightley, Rihanna.

26. Linda September 23, 2013 at 02:22 #

Wow. GOrgeous, spot on picks.