Maggie Gyllenhaal In Dries Van Noten – Gotham Magazine Summer Cover Party

Maggie Gyllenhaal In Dries Van Noten - Gotham Magazine Summer Cover Party

Maggie Gyllenhaal attended the Gotham Magazine celebration of its summer issue, of which she graces as their cover star, in New York City yesterday evening.

Taking a break from promoting her latest movie, ‘White House Down’, I am surprised it’s taken Maggie this long to wear a look from Dries Van Noten’s Fall 2013 collection.

The actress selected a sleeveless black frock with a feathered skirt which she styled with an Alexander McQueen clutch and her favourite Casadei ‘Blade’ kitten heels.

I wish Maggie has opted for the runway necklace, or any statement necklace to lift this look, which despite all those distracting feathers does need something else to give the look a touch more pizzazz.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

22 Comments
Juana Acosta In Chanel - Cosmopolitan Fragrance Awards 2013

Juana Acosta In Chanel – Cosmopolitan Fragrance Awards 2013

Heidi Klum's MICHAEL Michael Kors Sloan Pyramid-Stud Saffiano Flap Bag

Heidi Klum’s MICHAEL Michael Kors Sloan Pyramid-Stud Saffiano Flap Bag

22 Responses to Maggie Gyllenhaal In Dries Van Noten – Gotham Magazine Summer Cover Party

1. Lee.ann June 27, 2013 at 15:52 #

So happy you posted this! I so much want to like this look because it is Dries. But I don’t. I think the gold cuff is too heavy and the shoes Blah. I am off to Antwerp tomorrow to visit his main store.Can’t wait. Hope I do better

2. Yeliz June 27, 2013 at 16:00 #

They’re celebrating the summer issue and she is wearing such a wintery look. It’s not a bad look, but a boring and season inappropriate one. I wish that she’d worn coloured sandals to elevate this look a bit. A statement necklace would’ve been nice too.

• Christine June 27, 2013 at 20:23 #

My thoughts exactly. This look is too heavy.

3. kane June 27, 2013 at 16:06 #

First off, absolutely agree about the necklace. Second, how much I want to love (LOVE!) this, just attaching loads and loads of feathers to a bit of textile doesn’t make for an intelligent dress. She looks like she’s already got half of her black swan outfit for Halloween. Would also fit better, season-wise.

4. bebe June 27, 2013 at 16:10 #

LOVE this look! So chic! IMO The dress does not need a necklace.

• Michelle June 28, 2013 at 02:43 #

I’m with bebe, I love everything about it. Simple & chic. She achieved exactly what she was going for, IMO. Add a necklace and/or change the shoes to something more flashy and she ruins the look she was going for. I even like her hair & makeup here, and that’s not usually the case for me.

• Parvati June 28, 2013 at 14:37 #

I agree! I like how simple this look is!

5. LeeAnn June 27, 2013 at 16:14 #

Sorry if this comes through twice.so glad you posted this. I so much want to love this because it is Dries and I am off to Antwerp tomorrow to visit his main store. But I don’t. The styling is a rare miss for Maggie. The cuff is wrong and the shoes are Blah. The peach version is much chicer and shorter – also more season appropriate

6. KatieKate June 27, 2013 at 16:25 #

While I do prefer this over the runway iteration, it’s still got some pretty major issues. I agree with all the other commenters re shoes, jewelry, etc. I also wish she would’ve chosen the peach version for various reasons including seasonal appropriateness. But she could look worse.

7. dee June 27, 2013 at 16:38 #

This looks somber. I don’t like anything about this.

8. Rebecca Z June 27, 2013 at 16:42 #

I am just so relieved that she didn’t wear those pants or long skirt–what ever it is under the dress on the runway. And the runway has way worse shoes. I like the dress and I like it on her. I agree lighter shoes would have been better. I can’t ever picture Maggie Gyllenhaal in a peach feathered dress–sorry, just not her style. She also looks really awkward with the knuckle clutch. For her, simple is better.

9. Mol June 27, 2013 at 17:35 #

I agree with everything you have said – I especially noted her pose with the clutch, it’s a kind of amusing and quirky pose…

10. Mol June 27, 2013 at 17:36 #

Oops, I meant my comment as a reply to Rebecca Z’s comment!

11. Marybeth June 27, 2013 at 18:33 #

I actually like the plain neckline but think she should have worn a nice pair of earrings — and more festive shoes.
    I guess we all agree that the bland styling makes the look less than it could be.

12. Nat39 June 27, 2013 at 21:07 #

The dress is shapeless and ugly on and off the runway, the feathered skirt is hideous, what’s needed here the most is a belt and a good trim, and a more inspiring shoe of course.

• Prudence June 27, 2013 at 22:54 #

well said !!

13. Nat June 28, 2013 at 01:41 #

I love it but the dress I think needs a belt.

14. A June 28, 2013 at 02:25 #

that has to be the strangest way i’ve ever seen someone hold their clutch on the red carpet

anyways-i think this is a good look for maggie, and so much less mumsy than usual that i don’t mind the black-on-black in midsummer

15. Petra June 29, 2013 at 00:04 #

I don’t know if i love this look because of the look itself or becouse i adore dries van noten. Nevertheless, I like it, especially the feathers.