Michelle Obama In Carolina Herrera – Charlottenburg Palace Berlin Dinner

Michelle Obama In Carolina Herrera - Charlottenburg Palace Dinner

First Lady Michelle Obama, President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel attended the dinner given in honour of the President at the Orangerie of Schloss Charlottenburg palace in Berlin, Germany this evening.

Obama is visiting Berlin for the first time during his presidency and his speech at the Brandenburg Gate is set to be the highlight. Obama will be speaking close to the 50th anniversary of the historic speech by then U.S. President John F. Kennedy in Berlin in 1963, during which he proclaimed the famous sentence: ‘Ich bin ein Berliner.’

Michelle wore a Carolina Herrera Pre-Fall 2013 dress for the occasion.

The sleeveless wave pattern jacquard party dress featuring grosgrain bow accented straps, a high squared neck, a drop waist; and pleating at the skirt was styled with black kitten heels.

I have loved a lot of Michelle red carpet choices; however, I’m on the fence with this one.

It’s the bows which given me a feeling that this dress may have been better suited to the likes of Camilla Belle, Emmy Rossum or Kiernan Shipka.

She would’ve looked better in the sheath version of this dress – sans bows.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Astrid Bergès-Frisbey In Chanel - 'I Origins' New York Screening

Astrid Bergès-Frisbey In Chanel – ‘I Origins’ New York Screening

Felicity Jones In Proenza Schouler - ‘Breathe In’ Edinburgh Film Festival Opening Gala Screening

Felicity Jones In Proenza Schouler – ‘Breathe In’ Edinburgh Film Festival Opening Gala Screening

56 Responses to Michelle Obama In Carolina Herrera – Charlottenburg Palace Berlin Dinner

1. Ella June 19, 2013 at 21:07 #

I feel the bows make it too cutesy…..so like you, I am on the fence with this one

• Christine June 19, 2013 at 21:35 #

This is a twee look for FLOTUS.

• gayle June 19, 2013 at 21:46 #

Yes. This was my exact thought when I saw these pictures.

• Tati M June 21, 2013 at 04:28 #

2. Nat39 June 19, 2013 at 21:12 #

My immediate reaction – this dress is not for her, the bows, the skirt shape…feels way too girly for her, a more sophisticated sheath version would’ve def. been a better choice for her.

• Moxie June 19, 2013 at 21:37 #

• Fiona-Brasil June 19, 2013 at 21:51 #

• paria July 20, 2013 at 01:46 #

3. Mandy June 19, 2013 at 21:16 #

I really like this. I don’t feel its too cutesy for Michelle and i love the silhouette. Her earrings are gorgeous.

• Denise June 20, 2013 at 07:45 #

I agree. I adore this look. So fresh, beautiful pattern and interesting skirt shape.

• dee June 20, 2013 at 14:31 #

I completely agree. I think she looks great. This is a nice hcange. Not too twee or cutesy at all.

• jo June 20, 2013 at 15:21 #

• Prudence June 20, 2013 at 18:15 #

agreed. I would not prefer the sheath version, this silhouette is a lot more flattering for her body type. She always looks every chic and those earings are a great addition

4. Yeliz June 19, 2013 at 21:18 #

The bows do make the dress look a bit twee for her, but they don’t bother me so much. The fit of the dress is perfect on her and I also love her styling.

• Charlotte June 19, 2013 at 21:19 #

I agree, She looks great.

5. shap_half June 19, 2013 at 21:18 #

I love that Michelle never ever ever looks frumpy or old-fashioned in anything she wears, but this is way too twee for her.

• moonbeam June 19, 2013 at 21:36 #

“Michelle never ever ever looks frumpy or old-fashioned in anything she wears”

I agree.

6. Oscar June 19, 2013 at 21:35 #

Loving this!! :D

7. moonbeam June 19, 2013 at 21:35 #

I am a HUGE fan of Mrs. Obama’s style, but I think she looks best in fitted silhouettes (pencil skirts, sheath dresses, column gowns), so I can’t co-sign on this look. This dress does seem like a look for a little girl. But I love her hair, make-up, jewelry, and her plus one :)

8. Mary June 19, 2013 at 21:42 #

I love this dress on Mrs. Obama, very feminine without being over-the-top like many of her outfits. The bows are a little touch of whimsy interest and look fine imo.

This is a better choice than the sheath imo because she is very pear-shaped and needs light colors on top and dark colors below which this one has, while the sheath has dark on top and light below which would make her bust look tiny and her derriere look huge. This one also has a drop waist which is also
    perfect for Michelle as she is very short
    waisted.

• KatieKate June 19, 2013 at 23:29 #

I had originally thought the sheath would have been better, but you made such good points.

• Liz June 20, 2013 at 00:32 #

+1 on everything

Even if you don’t like the bows, you HAVE to agree this is a much better shape for her body type than 80% of her usual wardrobe.

9. fromchi-town June 19, 2013 at 21:46 #

I think she looks fabulous. Yes, it would be better if there were no bows, but that doesn’t take away from how great she looks. The dress fits her perfectly and I love her earrings. Very well turned out.

10. pipsqueak June 19, 2013 at 21:49 #

I’m okay with the bows. This is a funny dress in that the bows and sleeveless top is for a young person, but the shape around the hips are for an older woman – exactly Michelle’s generation – who could probably use a little “cover-up”. All in all, I think it was an appropriate look for dinner.

11. Jolene June 19, 2013 at 21:51 #

I much prefer the version with bows and more voluminous skirt. The sheet version is too bland and plain. She looks divine. The fitting is perfect. Love the earings.

• GiGi June 19, 2013 at 22:10 #

I agree.. there is nothing special or unusual about the sheath version. I think she looks wonderful…the hair, the earrings… I wish Ms Merkel had dressed up a bit!

12. kane June 19, 2013 at 21:52 #

I don’t care for the bows (as I virtually never care for them, although they don’t bother me so much on the model, on which they sit higher and more loosely), but I really like this.

13. Lou June 19, 2013 at 22:42 #

I like this dress on Michelle and think she looks good! The sheath version would have been the predictable and safe option.

14. CreoleLady June 19, 2013 at 23:00 #

How does she do it? Always interesting, always fresh, be it a hit or a miss or a recycle. I so love the styling (gorgeous hair, earrings and plus one) and the fit that I can overlook the bows. Well done.

15. Marybeth June 19, 2013 at 23:00 #

Quite frankly, the bows look not just twee but downright silly on her. And adding big earrings and rather big hair on top of them makes everything too fussy.

Imagine her in the same dress WITHOUT the bows— and perhaps with slightly smaller earrings. That would be great, I think!

• KatieKate June 19, 2013 at 23:30 #

Agree wholeheartedly!

• Carolina June 20, 2013 at 02:30 #

I also agree. The earrings were that thing that should have been removed at the last minute. The bows are ok but she’d look best without them.

• Jolene June 20, 2013 at 08:12 #

I respectfully disagree as I don´t see it as “silly”, au contrarie ,I think without the bows it would be just a over the corner, plain , predictable and boring dress. The bows ad a joyful detail to the silhouette. She clearly wanted to go for something more joyful.

16. anniebella June 20, 2013 at 01:22 #

I loved it. FLOTUS look beautiful.

• Beta June 20, 2013 at 10:13 #

+1 LOVE it

17. Jen June 20, 2013 at 02:06 #

This dress was not made to fit her height: the waist is meant to be a drop waist and even with the shoulder straps lengthened (which destroys the bateau neckline) the waist hits Mrs. O too high. This is totally not the way the dress was meant to look. It just doesn’t fit.

18. Rebecca Z June 20, 2013 at 03:05 #

She looks great. Could have removed the bows, but I can live with them. I like the shape of the skirt, though I don’t really think she has anything to hide in the hip area. But this is fun and playful and lovely.

• Edna June 21, 2013 at 10:04 #

Couldn’t agree more. The bows I could have lived without, but she looked lovely and flirty.

I think like many women, you sometimes get the sense her husband points to the one he likes best and she wears it for him. He looked particularly pleased and couldn’t keep his hands off her as they boarded their plane back to D.C.

I know too that sometimes that dress our guy loves doesn’t always appeal to our girlfriends.

19. Kathy June 20, 2013 at 03:14 #

I don’t mind the bows, I just wish they sat higher on the shoulders like the version on the model. Sitting lower like that where the straps meet the dress make them seem like an afterthought. Earrings are too large, too distracting. She should’ve stuck with simpler ones. Also the shoes could have been a brighter color, like an unexpected emerald or red.

20. Nishta June 20, 2013 at 03:29 #

I’m actually not bothered by the cut, I like that she’s embracing a different silhouette than what we’re used to seeing her in. It’s the bows that bring the look down. But she looks stunning nonetheless.

I’ve never understood the fuss about Princess Kate’s sense of style when Mrs. O’s running around looking this good all the time!

21. Alicat June 20, 2013 at 04:15 #

This silhouette is more suited to a slight frame with small hips. Michelle Obama is a statuesque woman with strong hips and thighs, and the dress accentuates this. The waist also sits too high on her adding further to the effect. However, I think it is great that she does not feel the need to wear frumpy, conservative outfits which stereotype her role and age group. If it lost the bows and was more fitted around the hips, this would have been even better. Great hair and makeup.

22. Jazz June 20, 2013 at 04:48 #

I think this style mixes things up a bit. She remains elegant and appropriate IMO. President doesn’t look too shabby himself..my best dressed man every week lol

23. Fashion Guru June 20, 2013 at 06:17 #

I happen to think she is carrying this quite well and is looking stunning! Perspective people! All of you close your eyes and picture Laura Bush and Hillary Clinton in this dress.

No appreciate. You’re welcome.

• Denise June 20, 2013 at 07:51 #

LOVED your comment !!

• Lane June 20, 2013 at 08:16 #

Amen!

Mrs Obama is a few months shy of 50 and she looks so incredible, many of these young Hollywood types half her age who practically live with their stylists could not hold a candle to this magnificent woman-

It’s funny to read some of the comments dissecting everything including her body type in a manner that would be demeaning and disrespectful of any woman – I’d honestly love to see pictures of some of these commenters. If they looked even half as good as this 50 year old woman, I’d be shocked. But the internet affords this type of anonymous and disrespectful dissection and nitpicking-

She looks absolutely amazing and the statement earrings actually complement the simple cut of the dress — It dresses it up and lengthens and accentuates her lovely face- Anything smaller would have been disproportionate especially since the lengthy drop is spot on for this tall woman-

For a First Lady, wife and mother, Mrs Obama gets it just right!

p.s-

I’m delighted to see her in Carolina Herrera. I don’t remember ever seeing her in her designs and I hope she wears her again.

• moonbeam June 20, 2013 at 15:56 #

Amen! Love your comment :)

• Jar June 21, 2013 at 02:39 #

I hear your point, but I didn’t think people were being disrespectful above, they were just saying that women come in all shapes and sizes and all women should dress in a way that complements their shape and size, and in this case Mrs. O may not have played on her best features.

• KatieKate June 21, 2013 at 07:11 #

Lighten up–it’s a fashion blog. Omg.

24. Reez June 20, 2013 at 08:06 #

am i the only one think CH is dated and irrelevant nowadays?

• Jolene June 20, 2013 at 08:18 #

Perhaps you are.Considering that she sold 1 billion dollars in 2012, hardly irrelevant from a business perspective.

25. Xiomalys Crespo June 20, 2013 at 12:09 #

I don’t mind the dress on Michelle, but I much prefer the bows the model’s has.

26. Rashmi June 20, 2013 at 15:21 #

Agree with FC that the other version was more like her style. But I have to give this to Michelle Obama for wearing a different silhouette and looking stunning in it !!
    Love the styling too.

27. Reez June 21, 2013 at 02:05 #

sometimes girls just wanna play cutesy:)

28. Ariel June 21, 2013 at 08:10 #

I agree with all comments, both positive and negative. All in all, for me she looks great, just not event appropriate. It gets obvious especially when you compare her outfit with those of the President and Chansellor Angela Merkel.

• Edna June 21, 2013 at 09:43 #

Mrs Obama was perfectly event appropriate, thank you. It was a reciprocal State Dinner even if it was typically German austere. The Obamas had hosted the German Chancellor last year at the White House.

Too bad Angela Merkel decided to show up in the same suit she’d worn all day hosting President Obama at various other events – She probably was too pressed for time to do a change of clothes and ended up at the dinner in the same clothes.

You can’t choose to blame Mrs Obama for Merkel looking all wrong for the State dinner. If you saw any of the videos or photographs of other women at this event, they were all dressed up too.

Mrs Obama looked fantastic. The dress couldn’t be simpler and yet Mrs Obama made it look glamorous. You can’t hold it against her that she ends up looking better than many of these other women at political events. She’s got the body and has fun with her clothes – and good for her!! She proves that you can be smart and serious and also enjoy dressing up. What’s not to love?

29. EmmaWoodhouse July 2, 2013 at 20:08 #

I love the dress, but I think it doesn’t suit her figure well. She looks really good in a tailored sheath; the flouncy style comes across as fussy on her, though it’s beautiful on the model.