Zhang Ziyi In Peter Pilotto - 'The Road to the Grandmasters' Chinese Film Festival Opening Film

Zhang Ziyi made a splash today at a press conference for the 2013 Chinese Film Festival’s opening film, ‘The Road to the Grandmasters,’ at Yeouldo CGV in Seoul, South Korea.

The actress, who has previously shown she’s not afraid to push the boundaries with a range of styles, indulged in a mixed bag of prints with her exaggerated shoulder-cape dress from Peter Pilotto’s Fall 2013 collection.

The designer’s maximal-print aesthetic was out in force here with a colourful kaleidoscope of swirling patterns, which were nipped in with a solid black-and-white waistband.

If there was ever an occasion for a simple black shoe, this may have been the time to ground the frenzied boldness of this look. But, for the red carpet, Zhang’s glittery metallic Jimmy Choo platform pumps were still preferred to the even clunkier patent brogues from the runway.

While accessories weren’t all that necessary, she did select an unobtrusive, wiry pair of H. Stern earrings, along with a Gilan cocktail ring and a gold Omega watch, which also directed attention to her purple manicure.

So as not to compete any further from her intrepid sartorial statement, she pulled her hair into a sleek and discreet updo.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Wish-List Wednesday

Wish-List Wednesday

Diane Kruger In Chloé - Serafina Restaurant

Diane Kruger In Chloé – Serafina Restaurant

15 Responses to Zhang Ziyi In Peter Pilotto – ‘The Road to the Grandmasters’ Chinese Film Festival Opening Film

1. Nat39 June 16, 2013 at 18:28 #

I think it’s a bit too much for her petite frame – the print, the exaggerated shoulders overwhelm her.

• Lena June 16, 2013 at 20:08 #

No, it doesn’t overwhelm her, quite the opposite – it makes her look more sophisticated, elegant, very ladylike. She’s probably the only petite celebrity who can pull off these types of clothing.

• Nat39 June 16, 2013 at 21:28 #

I disagree with you. The exaggerated shoulder cape detail (in that unattractive print) in particular is a bit too much (probably for anyone), I don’t find its addition on top of all the print tasteful or sophisticated, it’s unnecessary ott overload imo. And I also think that a black shoe would’ve grounded the look.

• Ariel June 17, 2013 at 09:30 #

I agree with you! It looks like she has eagle wings. And under them: some insect wings.

2. Marybeth June 16, 2013 at 19:05 #

If the cape part were omitted, I’d love this.
    As it is, those big shoulders and the overlay of the bodice are just too much for her small stature.

I do love ZZ’s experimentation though. Even when I think it’s a miss, she still looks so polished and classy!

3. Yeliz June 16, 2013 at 19:14 #

Love everything from the ankles up. I agree that black pumps would’ve suited better to this dress.

• Christine June 17, 2013 at 00:58 #

• dee June 17, 2013 at 13:33 #

4. kane June 16, 2013 at 19:38 #

With black pumps and without the racoon-print inspired bits this might, might, have worked.

• KatieKate June 18, 2013 at 04:23 #

Lol to “raccoon print-inspired bits”!

5. Alicat June 17, 2013 at 03:32 #

More loud prints. I certainly prefer Peter Pilotto’s take to Mary Katrantzou. The cuts are more sophisticated and the fabric choices drapes better. What spoils this is the overdone cape/bodice. She looks like she has wings folded up there. The belted, nipped in waist looks good.

6. pipsqueak June 17, 2013 at 04:57 #

The girl on the right (in white and with a bob) is Song Hye-kyo, famous actress from South Korea. I’m more interested in what she was wearing. I think she has a more consistent and tasteful style but may be a bit “boring” for the blog. However, she does have a following. I don’t like Zhang’s look. It takes a lot of personality to take off a Peter Pilotto look. All in all, his design isn’t my cup of tea.

• pipsqueak June 17, 2013 at 04:58 #

Oops … pull off*

7. TeaAtTwo June 17, 2013 at 20:49 #

I like this look, the cape detail is cool and her elegance really sells this. The sandals don’t put me off this look.

8. EmmaWoodhouse June 22, 2013 at 17:45 #

This is really fab. I think she’s one of the only ones who can pull it off. It’s got a very alien quality that translates well when coupled with her classic beauty.