Zhang Xinyi In Michael Kors – 2013 Shanghai Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Zhang Xinyi In Michael Kors - 2013 Shanghai Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Zhang Xinyi and Huang Haibo attended the 16th Shanghai Film Festival held at Shanghai Culture Square in China on Saturday evening.

The Chinese actress wore a Michael Kors Pre-Fall 2013 look which consisted of a black knit short-sleeved turtleneck top with a rose-print ball skirt styled with a red-and-pink Alexander McQueen clutch and silver jewels.

I find the necklace totally unnecessary for this look and the clutch would’ve worked for me had it been more simplistic or smaller.

You may remember that Stacy Keibler wore this look three weeks ago and her styling was much better suited to the look.

Much comparison has been made between this look and pieces presented in the Christian Dior Spring 2013 collection with comments ranging from ‘Dior redux’ to ‘Shameless rip off’, but if you look back over Mr Kors’ archives, you can see that he presented a black top- printed ball skirt look in his Resort 2009 collection before Mr Simons did so last year.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Wish-List Wednesday

Wish-List Wednesday

Jing Tian In Georges Hobeika Couture - 2013 Shanghai Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Jing Tian In Georges Hobeika Couture – 2013 Shanghai Film Festival Opening Ceremony

15 Responses to Zhang Xinyi In Michael Kors – 2013 Shanghai Film Festival Opening Ceremony

1. Yeliz June 16, 2013 at 17:24 #

Much prefer Stacy’s sleek look and she pulls off the skirt better than Zhang anyway. The necklace is so unnecessary.

I didn’t thought that the Michael Kors Pre-Fall 2013 collection looked like a Dior rip off anyway. The ball skirts which Mr Kors designed looked better than Raf Simons’ shiny skirts.

2. Nat39 June 16, 2013 at 18:22 #

It worked so perfectly for Stacy with her stature and impeccable styling. Zhang doesn’t really measure up in comparison. The necklace is just a no.

3. Jolene June 16, 2013 at 18:26 #

Zhang Xinyi wore it far better than Stacy.
    This look have been around since forever, but being Dior such a succesfull collection, critically and commercially acclaimed, other designers perhaps should refrain of using the same silhouete for while, to avoid comparison.

4. Marybeth June 16, 2013 at 18:30 #

Colorwise I really like this ensemble with Zhang’s black hair but I think Stacy Kielbler’s stature and simple styling worked far better overall.

Thanks for the information on the earlier Kors collection. ;)

5. kane June 16, 2013 at 19:49 #

Spot on, FC.

6. Umi June 16, 2013 at 20:43 #

I actually prefer this styling better, it appears more youthful and joyful, the hair in particular.

7. KatieKate June 16, 2013 at 21:22 #

Good call, FC. One of the many reasons I LOVE this blog. It’s not just fashion fodder, it is critical, thoughtful, educational fashion commentation, and as a fashion lover and novice, I am always learning—including from others’ comments.

• Catherine Kallon June 17, 2013 at 10:59 #

Thanks KatieKatie. I feel much the same way. I learn from your comments too. x

8. Pam June 16, 2013 at 21:27 #

Nothing original about a ball gown skirt and plain top. I don’t like the necklace, but I can understand why she felt it needed something. Just not a fan of the t-shirt ball gown. Much prefer strapless, or a halter.

9. Christine June 17, 2013 at 01:04 #

Stacy clearly wore it best.

10. CreoleLady June 17, 2013 at 01:20 #

So in fact it is Raf Simons who is the talentless copycat, lol. Anyway, there is only one thing I like better about this version than Keibler’s — the hair. Love the shiny simple blunt lob.

11. Alicat June 17, 2013 at 04:07 #

They both look lovely. Zhang just needs to lose the necklace. Interesting about the history of the two designers.

12. Ariel June 17, 2013 at 09:43 #

I like everything but the shoes! It s the necklace, ear-rings, and hair that save this look from the repetitiveness!

13. dee June 17, 2013 at 13:32 #

I hated this on Stacy but this looks gorgeous on Zhang.

14. EmmaWoodhouse June 19, 2013 at 05:00 #

I like her hair with it, it softens the neckline. But the rest of Stacey’s styling was way better.