16.06.13

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Trooping The Colour

The Queen's Birthday Parade: Trooping the Colour

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, made what is expected to be her final public appearance, before starting her maternity leave, Saturday at the Trooping the Colour ceremony in London.

On this occasion the eight months pregnant Duchess wore a pale pink Alexander McQueen coat, custom made by Sarah Burton.

The wide collar coat featuring oversized pearl buttons was accessorised with a Jane Corbett matchy pink hat (which you may remember she wore once before to the Buckingham Palace garden party last year), Annoushka pearl earrings and an Alexander McQueen clutch.

I know many of you don’t agree with me, but I enjoyed Kate’s maternity style. It was so much more interesting and varied with not many (if any) repeats.

Credit: Getty

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney - The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Gwyneth Paltrow  In Alexander McQueen - Gene Siskel Film Center Gala Honoring Gwyneth Paltrow

Gwyneth Paltrow In Alexander McQueen – Gene Siskel Film Center Gala Honoring Gwyneth Paltrow

36 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Trooping The Colour

1. Sara June 16, 2013 at 01:16 #

Good god. This just takes the cake. How 80′s. My reaction to this look is not unlike Camilla’s face there.

• KatieKate June 16, 2013 at 01:42 #

Rotflmao!! :O

• kane June 16, 2013 at 04:04 #

Haha, love it! Cambridge #1 looks nice, but the other DoC wins this little fashion duel for me.

I didn’t mind her maternity style. It seemed more adventurous than pre-pregnancy and she had a nice run in the last few weeks. She’s still finding her style, maybe isn’t that into fashion, takes note from women who are quite a few decades older than her and tries to vamp them up with receding hemlines (or, newest strategy, animal prints). I personally don’t mind the hemlines generally, they reveal legs I wouldn’t mind having, but I can see why ‘conservative cut + cut a little short’ is not necessarily a winning combination.

• Beta June 17, 2013 at 13:41 #

LOL +1

• ok June 17, 2013 at 21:38 #

+2 hahahaha

2. Fiona - Perth June 16, 2013 at 01:29 #

I like it – it is has become a signature style for her during her maternity phase and it is sweet and appropriate. I agree that her maternity style has been elegant and adorable the few times we have seen her, which have been official engagements so have necessitated some formality. I think the hat could have been better on this occasion, but she does like to recycle.

3. Christine June 16, 2013 at 02:16 #

She looks nice here

• SilentVisitor June 16, 2013 at 23:11 #

4. molly June 16, 2013 at 02:27 #

Is Sarah Burton that determined to ruin Lee’s name? In no circumstances should this ever be reffered to as Alexander McQueen, especially when it could easily be straight out of Princess Dianas maternity handbook. Simply awful.
    On another note, I seriously love Harry, I mean look at that face!

• Sara June 16, 2013 at 03:13 #

They simply need to stop referring to pieces created specifically for the Duchess as ‘Alexander McQueen’.

Sarah Burton is just a royal dressmaker when designing for her, no?

• Thais June 16, 2013 at 06:41 #

I agree! There is nothing McQueen about this look. It’s not horrible, but it does look a bit 80s and a little bit like a child’s coat.

• KatieKate June 18, 2013 at 04:33 #

I have to agree.

• Pam June 16, 2013 at 17:22 #

Only in fashion would they try to keep an artist’s name on clothes some one else is now designing. I know they are just trying to stay in business, but really. Can you imagine going to a gallery and buying Sarah Burton for Leonardo da Vinci?

• Elaine2 June 16, 2013 at 18:07 #

LOL………good one.

There is nothing McQueen about this coat. Honestly, he must be rolling over in his grave. I miss him. Sarah Burton has sucked the life out of that design house.

As for Kate, I really dislike 3/4 length sleeves on her. They make it look as if the coat is too small for her. And the shoulder line doesn’t look right either. I wonder how long this coat is? My guess is 2-3 inches above the knee. And she’s probably wearing her nude platform pumps. Thank goodness there are no full length photos available, I hate those shoes.

• Kathy June 16, 2013 at 21:14 #

People seem to be neglecting (or unaware of) the fact that Sarah worked with Lee for many years on his designs. They were good friends and longtime creative partners…so close was their relationship that no else was considered for taking over Lee’s position after his death.

The clothes Sarah is making for the Duchess are custom-made to suit her needs, not being sold as ready-to-wear for the public. Technically, they don’t even belong under the Alexander McQueen label and they in no way reflect the brand’s aesthetic. It’s not like Lee never created anything conservative in his lifetime, either. It’s all about the occasion and the customer. In this case Sarah is just assuming the role of royal dressmaker (like reader Sara said before me), not making the clothes according to her role as creative director of McQueen.

• Thaís June 17, 2013 at 06:18 #

I think the point we were trying to make was that in these cases, were Sarah is making clothes for Kate so far from the esthetics of the house McQueen, it would be better not to use the label/name Alexandre McQueen!

• Dhppy June 17, 2013 at 09:00 #

…before she ruins the public’s concept of the brand.

• Kathy June 18, 2013 at 01:05 #

That’s what I said. They’re NOT technically under the label, and shouldn’t be treated as such. Sarah just happens to work at Alexander McQueen and make clothes for the Duchess at the same time.

• Beta June 17, 2013 at 13:44 #

Did Alexander McQueen ever design for the crown? I still remember the anecdote I read where he stitched ‘I am a c—’ to a suit for P.Charles. I deduced he wasn’t very monarchic

• Beta June 17, 2013 at 13:42 #

+1 on everything. Harry is great lol

• ggggg June 22, 2013 at 04:09 #

+infinity! This is what I have been thinking from day one. That wedding dress was a sign of bad things to come. If Sarah Burton want to design for Kate, by all means be my guest. But don’t let anything Sarah designs for her touch an Alexander Mcqueen label unless it has his aesthetic.And we know that’s not Kate’s style. Prince Hot Ginge & Camilla’s faces are priceless!

5. moja31 June 16, 2013 at 02:56 #

Who would have thought McQueen would be at the forefront of granny chic. I would have sworn she’d yanked this straight out of the Queen’s closet (present day, not her younger days). Good Lord, the Queen looked more youthful in the outfit she chose for the day.

6. snowlion June 16, 2013 at 05:09 #

Granny clothes. It is more suited to someone the age of the Duchess of Cornwall next to her, who is wearing a more interesting coat for that matter. Sure, we get it, you aren’t interested in flashy fashion (even though you get the designers of fashion houses to design for you?!?), but that doesn’t mean you have to dress like a senior citizen.

• vicky June 16, 2013 at 10:30 #

Cornwall wins over Cambridge on this one.
      Calling this a McQueen design is almost an insult to the late genius. He’d never make anything this boring, bland and dated.

• Elaine2 June 16, 2013 at 18:09 #

make that +2.

7. Yeliz June 16, 2013 at 11:02 #

She looks lovely. I enjoyed her maternity style too. She was glowing all the time.

• Jess2 June 16, 2013 at 11:42 #

• GiGi June 16, 2013 at 14:25 #

I’m with you. I think this look is perfect for her condition and her station and the event.

8. Jai June 16, 2013 at 14:31 #

The colour and hat is a bit much for 30-year old woman. Not a fan of this at all.

9. Priya June 16, 2013 at 15:36 #

I love this coat and the pearl buttons – i think she looks so much better when she wears actual maternity clothes vs bigger size versions of regular clothes.Her best maternity looks for me are her wrap dress ,plaid coat in scotland,polka dot topshop dress and the peach outfit. Hate the hat.She looks best in Alexander MqQueen think its cos the cut n fit is so good.The worst designer she uses is Emilia Wickstead – simply awful and ill fitting. See how much better the shade of this pink coat is compared to the garden party Wickstead badly stitched dress

10. Kyriaki - Cyprus June 16, 2013 at 16:46 #

I enjoyed her maternity style too.

11. Pam June 16, 2013 at 17:12 #

I like the coat dress looks. I much prefer them to the tight outline every bump-and-belly-button look the Hollywood girls prefer.

12. Marybeth June 16, 2013 at 17:49 #

Very, very lovely!
    I like the way the two ladies complement each other so well with the pearl theme. Probably an accident, but it’s a nice one.

I also have liked the Duchess’s maternity style.
    (I do hope she’ll keep some weight on after giving birth, as I think she was getting a bit too thin before.)

13. Dhppy June 17, 2013 at 08:57 #

I’ve enjoyed much of Kate’s maternity wear, but not this. That hat especially, I’d like to see thrown under a carriage.

14. Ariel June 17, 2013 at 10:40 #

She looks beautiful in a cute way. But I find Camilla’s outfit much more interesting.

15. EmmaWoodhouse June 18, 2013 at 17:13 #

I like the whole thing, including the hat, which I think is pretty. I’ve really enjoyed her maternity style, it’s been adorable!
    Harry’s face is hilarious here.