08.06.13

Princess Madeleine of Sweden Weds Christopher O’Neill In Valentino Garavani

The Wedding Of Princess Madeleine & Christopher O'Neill

Princess Madeleine of Sweden wed Christopher O’Neill in a ceremony held in her native Stockholm, Sweden earlier today.

Christopher O’Neill did his best to hold back tears at the vision of his lovely bride-to-be, who looked simply breathtaking as she glided down the aisle wearing a Valentino Garavani gown.

She was the picture of a perfect princess in her stunning silk organza gown with appliquéd ivory-hued Chantilly lace. See more details of the dress here.

Madeleine’s accessories included ivory white organdie shoes with woven point d’esprit dots and a privately owned tiara decorated with sprigs of orange blossom.

The bridal bouquet consisted of classic white garden roses: Austin roses, Schneewittchen, Winchester Cathedral and Alabaster, as well as lilies of the valley and the traditional myrtle from Sofiero.

Credit: Getty

Sarah Jessica Parker's Splendid Gingham Button Down Blouse

Sarah Jessica Parker’s Splendid Gingham Button Down Blouse

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden In Fadi El Khoury Couture - Princess Madeleine & Christopher O'Neill Royal Wedding

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden In Fadi El Khoury Couture – Princess Madeleine & Christopher O’Neill Royal Wedding

34 Responses to Princess Madeleine of Sweden Weds Christopher O’Neill In Valentino Garavani

1. molly June 8, 2013 at 16:51 #

So beautiful! I could do with more volume in the skirt, but overall it was the perfect size for the smaller chapel.
    I do have to say, Im a bit surprised that she wore the Modern Fringe Tiara since she wears it so often. I was thinking that she would wear one that she doesnt wear as frequently so it could be special, but nonetheless, this one worked very well with the gown. I love the addition of the flowers to the frame of the tiara, I think that added a little spark to it.

• kane June 8, 2013 at 17:06 #

Awww, and here’s my close up, thanks!

I was similarly surprised at the tiara choice, but not only does it go perfectly with the ensemble and does not outshine it. It also seems to be a nice statement given her position in the line to the throne and her role as a slightly less high-profile royal (not wording this well, I mean with her shifting away from royal duties).

• elissa June 8, 2013 at 19:22 #

I also expected another tiara, maybe the Cameo tiara Victoria wore. I think that one and the family veil are traditionally worn at Swedish royal weddings- but as someone on twitter pointed out, she might have planned to wear these to her cancelled wedding to her first fiancé. If this is true, I understand her choice.
        As for the dress, I’m not a fan of the skirt. It looked much better in the sketch. But with her head, she could wear about anything and look stunning. Seriously, everything north of her waist is absolutely gorgeous!

• Kyriaki - Cyprus June 8, 2013 at 19:28 #

I was trying to figure out why I don’t get excited about the wedding gown and I think I agree that the problem is the skirt and the lower cut. It really makes it old fashion..Nonetheless, she looks beautiful as always.

2. KatieKate June 8, 2013 at 17:04 #

All I could think is, this is what a modern-day princess looks like. Just breathtaking, in a simple, perfect way.

3. Yeliz June 8, 2013 at 17:13 #

Spectacular, breathtaking and fantastic from head-to-toe. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her, she looked so regal but in the same time just like a modern day princess. The stunning gown aside, I also loved her tiara, her earrings and her shoes. Her hair and makeup were flawless. She is currently my BDOTY and very hard to beat. I have a weakness for royal wedding gowns and I absolutely j’adore Madeleine’s look.

• Fiona-Brasil June 8, 2013 at 17:55 #

4. Jolene June 8, 2013 at 17:51 #

I wish it was a long sleeves dress. Also, if the white was less bright. Would love a soft hue of pink or beige . The train and the veil were a tad too long too , in these times of austerity why to show off soo much ?? Her make up was a bit heavy for a day light ceremony. I like the hair and earings.

5. mrs. a June 8, 2013 at 18:00 #

Are we looking at the same picture because I am so underwhelmed and I think the top part of her bodice could fit better. What is pure perfection about this? Most if u wouldn’t gave given this dress a second look if it was presented to us at a bridal salon.

6. gina June 8, 2013 at 18:13 #

i think the sleeves could have fit better, but the neckline frames her beautiful face great. i also do not like the doily hem. all in all a bit boring and old fashioned.

7. Karen June 8, 2013 at 18:20 #

It’s pretty, but a safe choice. Also from Valentino I expect better tailoring, it’s very awkward through the waist. Needed to be taken in a bit.

8. Prudence June 8, 2013 at 18:32 #

Idk, this is not my fave. I am rather surprised that Valentino created this, the fit around her waist is awful and I don’t think this is super flattering, she looks wider in the hips too. I wish she would truly have gone all out princess gown and gone to elie saab instead, his spring 2011 couture show featured the ultimate princess gown.

9. CreoleLady June 8, 2013 at 19:12 #

It’s nice. I certainly prefer this Valentino wedding gown and the styling, to Anne Hathaway’s.

10. Abril June 8, 2013 at 19:40 #

When I saw the gown originally was not very impressed but after looking at various pictures on the internet and the detail of the dress, I have to say she looked amazing. The dress is perfect for the setting,she was marrying in the palace chapel not in the main cathedral so it is less structure than Victoria wedding or Maxima of Netherland (Valentino also designed her dress) I like the informality and romantic air of the dress, the lace is incredible as well as the detail. It looks like it doesn’t photograph well, I say if we were to see in front of me I would fall in love with it. I disagree that the hip is awful, it just flows out of the tight waist but looks a little bulky due to the underskirt. Besides Madeline is so beautiful she could be wearing a potato sack and still look radiant!!! Great to see she wore Modern Fringe Tiara, after all it is her favorite….Make up and earrings are just perfect. She really was a fairy tale princess. Congratulations Madeleine.

11. Christine June 8, 2013 at 19:46 #

Gorgeous.

12. helene June 8, 2013 at 19:49 #

Amazing, georgous, stunning!! I just love it. And she looks so pretty!!

13. Dhppy June 8, 2013 at 20:13 #

I’m not crazy about the gown. I much prefer the sketch. But, from the neck up, she is stunningly beautiful.

• Henrique June 8, 2013 at 23:40 #

MTE. The sketch is amazing.

14. ullis June 8, 2013 at 20:14 #

stunning!!!!!!

15. TeaAtTwo June 8, 2013 at 22:07 #

It’s got a beautiful vintage feel.

16. Kaz June 9, 2013 at 01:49 #

I love it! She looks just like a princess. Oh wait…

17. MaddyEliza June 9, 2013 at 01:57 #

Wow. I absolutely love it. Completely stunning and breathtaking. Oh my goodness. I love the material, the shape, all that lace, the train, and the neckline especially!! So, so beautiful!! Another BDOTY contender from today, and definitely my BDOTW–how could I not?! :)

18. Fashion Guru June 9, 2013 at 02:39 #

Pretty. Bit the sketch seemed more elaborate and grand. The sketch made it look like an Elie Saab finale piece with heavy beading and intricate emboidery. The actual gown is something we’ve seen many times before. While she looks beautiful, everyone from Vera Wang to David’s Bridal have been making this silhouette for years.

19. irina June 9, 2013 at 11:06 #

Absolutely breathtaking!! One of my favourite wedding dresses ever!!

20. Ariel June 9, 2013 at 11:36 #

I dislike the skirt, it looks like made of a cheap curtain. Also, I hate this bright white, it looks cheap too. Too bad, since everything else is great!

21. Jess2 June 9, 2013 at 15:09 #

Wow, I love the gown and she looks so beautiful. Just how a Princess should look. Mr Valentino did a superb job. I do love royal weddings :)

22. Kathy June 9, 2013 at 16:35 #

Compared to the other looks from this week, this is obviously my BDOTW (I mean, royal wedding gowns in general always have a huge advantage, no doubt about that). But as far as wedding gowns themselves are concerned, I’m not too impressed by this one. I don’t like the fit around the waist or the large statement earrings, which are fairly distracting. I do love the skirt and Chantilly lace though.

23. Julio June 9, 2013 at 19:55 #

Katherine-
    Since you know such specific details about the bouquet, do you know who did the flowers for the wedding? I’m curious to know!
    She looks beautiful-

julio

• Catherine Kallon June 10, 2013 at 07:05 #

I don’t. Sorry

24. dressaddict June 9, 2013 at 22:02 #

The Princess changed her dress, just like Duchess of Cambridge did, and chose for the banquet after the ceremony a tulle ballerina dress.

25. Reez June 10, 2013 at 08:07 #

Princesses do really exist:)

26. msd June 10, 2013 at 09:51 #

She’s pretty but the dress looks a little bit cheap, unfortunately. I think it’s the fabric…

I’m surprised that she didn’t go with a Swedish designer as I thought that was protocol in most royal weddings?

27. Moxie June 10, 2013 at 15:10 #

Perfection.

28. EmmaWoodhouse June 14, 2013 at 14:39 #

She looks really beautiful, it’s BDOTY worthy imo. I did prefer the sketch though, as the bodice was more smooth looking–here the sheer lace is a little jarring. it’s fine, just missing a bit of continuity. Still an amazing look, she looks happy and regal and gorgeous!