Rita Ora In Marchesa – Glamour Women of the Year Awards 2013

Rita Ora In Marchesa - Glamour Women of the Year Awards 2013

Earlier this week I was perplexed by Rita Ora’s Alexandre Vauthier look, today at the Glamour Women of the Year Awards 2013, held at Berkeley Square Gardens in London, I have to give her a stand ovation.

The British singer, with the most inconsistent style, looked stunning wearing a Marchesa Spring 2013 gown.

Her pale-grey – typically dramatic and romantic – Marchesa gown with silver embroidery and tulle layers was styled with Chopard jewels.

I think many of you hit the nail on the head when you attributed her signature red lippie as the reason why many of her looks fail. It’s just too harsh at times.

On this occasion she opted for a softer nude lip colour, however, she did go for a heavy smoky eye.

Much improved or will you just never get on board with Rita’s style?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Jessie J In Gucci - Glamour Women of the Year Awards 2013

Jessie J In Gucci – Glamour Women of the Year Awards 2013

Heidi Klum's Versace Fringe Stiletto Sandals

Heidi Klum’s Versace Fringe Stiletto Sandals

29 Responses to Rita Ora In Marchesa – Glamour Women of the Year Awards 2013

1. Fer June 4, 2013 at 23:56 #

I know this may sound harsh, but, there is something in her face, i don’t know, like a dirtyness, i don’t know!, i can’t put my finger on what it may be, her roots, her foundation, i don’t know!… If i faceswap her, of ignore her face, her look is amazing, gorgeous dress, nice styling… but that face.

• NovuyoM June 5, 2013 at 01:55 #

Oooh harsh. But I placed my thumb over her face and I think It’s that her foundation is too pale for her maybe and her eye makeup always look smudgy and dirty. Not on purpose/edgy type, just “accidental but I ran out of time”. It looks like circumstance and not a choice.

As for this look, its her best yet. Her style is inconsistent because it’s not hers. I just get the feeling that she has no sense of personal style and has people running that department of her life. So, for me, this is a fluke and she’ll be back to disappointing soon again.

• Ariel June 5, 2013 at 09:25 #

I agree! There is something about her that lowers even the most classy outfit. I guess that if she returns to her brunette nature and minimalizes her styling, it d be much better!
      BTW this is the best look of her I ve seen, if I can close my eyes for her hair, make-up and awful nails.

• manja June 5, 2013 at 09:27 #

• Mary June 5, 2013 at 11:01 #

it’s true. i think it’s the hair colour and bad makeup; it makes her look unwashed and dirty all the time.

• Kathy June 5, 2013 at 22:57 #

I agree with you. I think it’s the combination of her dark roots, bleach-blonde hair, and dark eyebrows which don’t correspond to each other. Blonde hair also looks strange with her skin tone. It makes evyerthing she wears look tacky.

2. AnderBoBo June 5, 2013 at 00:01 #

For me, her hair is the reason why so many of her looks fall flat. I don’t understand how she can’t see how it washes her out so. A rich honeyed brunette would look so amazing on her. That said, I think this dress is pretty if a bit overdesigned and the eyes are a little too heavy, but an improvement overall.

3. Yeliz June 5, 2013 at 00:06 #

I feel like I will never understand her style.. She looks amazing here. All the tulle layers are not really to my liking, but they translate very well on her. I’m glad she didn’t opted for red lips, her makeup is great. Thumbs up.

4. justme June 5, 2013 at 00:12 #

Her red lipstick is just a small part in a big makeup & hair failure xD

Anyway, I really like this look from the neck down.

5. Jessica June 5, 2013 at 00:22 #

I love this dress! She looks really good here! I think it’s the best she’s ever looked! I do think she needs to get rid of the blonde though

6. Alicat June 5, 2013 at 00:27 #

The gown is a stunning confection. Everything is technically right but “it” is missing, whatever “it” is. I guess it is the French “Je ne sais quoi”. She just doesn’t possess it.

7. kane June 5, 2013 at 00:46 #

The dress is okay (would have prefered differnet nail polish though), not my style, but almost tame by her standards. Neck up this is terrible.

8. NooG June 5, 2013 at 01:04 #

She looks fantastic! :D Two thumbs up!

9. KatieKate June 5, 2013 at 01:15 #

Maybe I’m not discerning enough, but I think she looks pretty much perfect here. Apparently there truly is a first time for everything! Finally.

10. Anj June 5, 2013 at 01:15 #

I don’t think it’s the red lipstick that bothers me. Besides her trying too hard when picking outfits, what bothers me most about her looks is her hair. It needs to go. It looks damaged at this point.

11. Magdalena June 5, 2013 at 01:17 #

I think the dress is a mess to begin with.

• Prudence June 5, 2013 at 02:20 #

agreed. does she style herself because she is a very consistent hot mess.

• Eirwen June 5, 2013 at 03:35 #

Marchesa and Rita are OTT and a mess… they kinda fit each other =(

• Jai June 5, 2013 at 08:47 #

Yes, so obviously Marchesa. And for all the wrong reasons.

• Beta June 10, 2013 at 14:38 #

+1 yep, awful dress

12. Cass June 5, 2013 at 01:22 #

Sad. So far, she has not made any dress look good – and vice versa.

13. Dhppy June 5, 2013 at 02:15 #

She doesn’t have the height for this. This is a tall woman’s dress.

14. Rebecca Z June 5, 2013 at 06:07 #

Liked the Vauthier much better. This dress is way overdone–just a fussy mess.

15. Denise June 5, 2013 at 06:23 #

That was a big surprise ! She looks nice ! Not perfect but the best she has ever looked. So soft and romantic. That hair needs a change of colour.

• kiwi June 5, 2013 at 08:36 #

16. Primrose June 5, 2013 at 07:20 #

Another outfit bites the dust. I’ve never been a fan of Rita; her hair has alway irritated me. Her style has always been contrived and extraterrestrial. A Rihanna rip-off which unfortunately doesn’t work in here favor.

I hate to say this but this has Annoying-lost-little-lamb-that-needs-to-find-herself,style-and-identity-ASAP!!! Written all over it. Because lets be honest…She’s killing me here.

And to wear Marchesa you need that je ne sais quoi!
    Stop it Rita. Stop it right now. Your shutting it down for all the wrong reasons!!

This is her usual hot mess!! I need to have a word with somebody. On a lighter note im just glad she didn’t wear Stella McCartney ‘Lug’ shoes from the Fall 2013 runway… Somehow we all know given the chance – she would of!!!

17. TeaAtTwo June 5, 2013 at 10:14 #

I don’t love the dress but I think she looks quite nice. The roots don’t seems as stark and this up-do is elegant and the softer lip colour works better, she should change her manicure though.

18. Kathy June 5, 2013 at 23:06 #

Marchesa just isn’t a good fit for Rita IMO. The brand’s aesthetic is very much about playing “grown-up princess” with a little quirk and no shame in piling on the tulle. Rita is obviously a little edgier, with her DIY-looking, just-rolled-out-of-bed-and-scrunched-it-up hair (which I’m no fan of) and rap career. She shouldn’t be wearing these flouncy fairytale dresses. If she continues to do so and actually enjoys wearing them, she should ditch her hair. She can’t have one thing or the other because they blatantly contradict each other, and not even in an interesting way à la Jessie J’s buzz cut or Miley Cyrus’s pixie.

19. EmmaWoodhouse June 13, 2013 at 13:28 #

Her hair, makeup and nails are terrible and all wrong for this dress. The dress itself had the potential to be ethereal and beautiful, but I think one (or two) too many layers of tulle were added to it.