Models @ 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards

Models @ 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards

Some of our favourite cat-walkers were among the mix of style royalty at the 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards at Lincoln Center’s Alice Tully Hall in New York City. The models definitely had their moment last night, strutting out a slew of bold-name designers and even bolder looks to match.

Adriana Lima: Donning a leggy and luxe Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy Fall 2013 confection, this Brazilian beauty did justice to the edgy designer—who was the CFDA International Award Winner—even with black bloomers peeking through the gown. A center-parted ‘do and glowing makeup finished the look. Fellow model Joan Smalls rocked a similar Givenchy sheer design at the amfAR Cinema Against AIDS Gala. Who do you think wore it best?

Miranda Kerr: This model mom made waves with a retro-modern frock by Proenza Schouler. The square neckline and fit-and-flare shape were nothing if not fun and provided the perfect palette for the trippy, painterly cerulean and verdigris hues. More sophistication came with a classic pair of black, triple ankle-wrap Stuart Weitzman heels, Jennifer Meyer jewels and a silver Stuart Weitzman clutch, along with a fuchsia lippie and low bun.

Joan Smalls: The lovely Latina wore a breezy white, strapless Givenchy gown. The matte white panel on the bottom created a sort of casual, sundress feel. But upon closer inspection, it was anything but beach-y with a corseted bodice and sheer lace-embellished skirt. The glittering choker-necklace added a daring, darker note.

Models @ 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards 2

Karolina Kurkova: Well, Karolina showed us that her legs really do go on for days in a metallic Michael Kors shorts-and-top set. It was like the most fashionable piece of shiny aluminum foil in the world. This was a look that really only works magic on a model. A long, double-horn pendant necklace and a barely-there pair of thin-strap silver sandals, along with effortless blonde waves, added a California cool edge.

Karlie Kloss: The statuesque stunner took the plunge in a Cushnie et Ochs black gown featuring a patent leather, armor-like bodice that contrasted with the fluid draping of the skirt. Her slicked-down bob and a shadowy eye completed the vampy effect that was uncluttered by any accessories except a barely-visible black clutch.

Alessandra Ambrosio: Like Joan, Alessandra wore white, posing to perfection in a Kaufmanfranco one-shoulder creation that had her masterfully turning her back to the cameras on more than one occasion. After all, the wow factor here was the backless silhouette and the slight train of the skirt. Her bronzed glow, a metallic clutch and a few well-placed diamonds were all the accessories she needed.

Models @ 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards 3

Jessica Stam: As it turns out, Kerry Washington wasn’t going to be our only bright star at the CFDA Awards. Jessica also wore a lemony-yellow shade in her Rebecca Minkoff peplum dress paired with matching neon Christian Louboutin Dufoura sandals. A gigantic, door-knocker necklace and equally sizable earrings, along with a gemstone bracelet and acrylic clutch, were perhaps one- or two-too many accessories, especially since she took her bob to the next level with a curled pompadour look. With her stunning features, she doesn’t need all that distraction.

Candice Swanepoel: The blonde Victoria’s Secret model appeared to have been revisiting the Met Gala’s punk movement in her slightly chaotic Prabal Gurung design, what with its swoops of sequin-printed fabric flung onto the white dress, all cinched in with a wide black grommet belt. Heavily buckled black sandals toed a slightly more subversive line, too.

Erin Wasson: Taking an Alexander Wang gown out for a spin, Erin also wore white. Edged in sheer, windowpane paneling, the architectural design wasn’t quite so innocent. But it was unquestionably sexy in the most sophisticated way possible. Sleek, slicked-back strands are obviously a go-to hairstyle among the supermodel set.

Models @ 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards 5

Hilary Rhoda: Hilary made a dynamic entrance in a monochrome Helmut Lang below-the-knee dress. Was it as overtly sultry or daring as some of her other runway royals? No. However, I still loved the intriguing draping not to mention the sunny yellow flash of her earrings and bangle that added a bright pop to the ensemble, as did her poppy-red pout.

Lily Aldridge: The model wore a strapless The Row dress with red floral appliqué heels. I’m more intrigued by the heels than the dress.

Linda Evangelista: Wearing a black silk organza and chiffon embroidered Oscar de la Renta Fall 2013 gown, Linda gave us a true supermodel red carpet moment.

Credit: Getty

37 thoughts on “Models @ 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards

1. Charlotte

I rellay like Erin Wasson dress.
    I can’t understand Karlie Kloss, such a cleavage on her is really not a great idea !

2. Yeliz

Erin is my favourite. She pulls off that gown with such an ease, I love it. Alessandra and Hilary are my runners-up.

I don’t like Adriana’s dress, Joan wore it best. Lily’s shoes are ridiculous.

3. dunzoo

I like Karolina (the shorts are a bit too short though) and Erin (sans the matronly clutch and bracelet)

4. Alicat

Erin Wasson’s dress is amazing. The sections look like they are glued on. Other looks I like are Miranda Kerr, Joan Smalls and Hilary Rhoda. Lily Aldridge looks like she has on her house slippers. Karlie Kloss’ plunging neckline is most unflattering. All it achieves is to accentuate that there is not much to flatter!

5. CreoleLady

Love the swirling colors and the styling of Miranda Kerr’s look, my favorite of this group.

6. kane

I like Miranda, Karlie and Alessandra, am intrigued by Erin and Joan’s amfAR dress worked much better for me than Adriana’s. I remain unwowed at this event.

7. AnderBoBo

Erin & Adriana are my two faves. Lily’s shoes are borderline offensive in their hideousness and totally detract from an otherwise ok look.

8. gabis

Alessandra and Erin are my top favorites. They look absolutely stunning and fantastic.
    Candice looks nice but I find the belt too harsh. I wish she had opted for a heavy black bracelet to match the sandals and clutch instead.
    Karolina’s outfit is ruined by the plain shoes. Karlie can’t pull off such a neckline and her hair looks awful.

9. Pri

Hey FC, Freida wore an orange version of Miranda’s dress a few weeks back in London. I like both, as each colour suits their respective skin tones.

10. antoneLLina

please someone feed karlie………
    btw, I like adriana and karolina.
    missing the wow factor!

11. Colleen

I’ve said it before and I will say it again – Karlie Kloss is WAY too skinny. Yes, I know there are people who will say “you can never be too skinny”, but she is – and it’s not attractive, IMO.

Jessica Stam and Hilary Rhoda were my favorites. I really like the dress Candice Swanepoel wore, but the heavy accessories ruin it for me. I actually like the shoes Lily Aldridge wore, but not with that dress. They remind me of boudoir slippers!

1. Kathy

I think it’s slightly offensive that you’re calling Karlie out for something that can’t be helped. It’s not as if she’s going to go out of her way to GAIN weight when she’s naturally that thin, and has been since she was a young teen. Would you ever say that an overweight person was “too fat” or “unattractive”? So why the double standard? It hurts just as much to be told you’re too skinny as it does to be told you’re too fat. Models and celebrities aren’t just bulletproof against harsh comments.

2. StylishDreaming

Karlie is too skinny? Please take a look at the other women on this page and tell me they’re not equally underweight. (Karlie just happens to be the only one wearing a low cut dress that shows her ribs.) That’s just the way models are. They are unusually tall and thin, but that doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with them. Who are you to judge someone by her BMI? That’s reducing her to a simple number, and it’s unfair. If you’re going to judge, judge her abilities or her actions.

3. Dhppy

I think you have a point, Colleen. I’ve thought this about Kloss before, too. Overt skinniness in the modeling industry is not just about looks, it’s a health issue not just for the models, but for the young girls who aspire to be like them.

1. Kathy

Are you saying that we should encourage young girls who are naturally underweight to gain weight because being overly skinny is “unhealthy”? The message to girls should be to accept their own bodies the way they are, not to promote this whole curvy-beats-skinny mantra.

1. Dhppy

The modeling industry has never been about accepting all women’s bodies. If that were the case most models would be a lot shorter, heavier, and with less striking features. It’s about choosing frames that show off the clothes in the most tantalizing fashion, so taller, thinner and uncommonly beautiful is the model ideal. I get it, and I accept it. However, I think there’a a point where a model’s thinness takes one’s attention away from the clothes and onto questions about her health. That is not tantalizing. Nor is it an ideal situation. Now I’m sure there’s the rare bird who eats and eats and just can’t seem to put on a pound, but in most cases women who get extremely thin are doing something drastic to make that happen. Many former models have admitted to doing those very things. So if talking about it encourages the modeling industry to put a minimum BMI, weight or body fat level on their models (as they already do with height) and helps discourage women from taking potentially life and death risks to meet an largely unattainable image, then talk away.

2. Prudence

lets be honest here, most models are not naturally skinny. we all know anorexia and bulimia is rife in the industry, most girls are forcing to make themselves look like that. I am no saying Karlie is one of them for sure but she does look extremely underweight and the dress surely does not help. She should know to dress to suit her body type ( NEVER A PLUNGING NECKLINE!!)And I don’t agree with the person who said all these models bodies are the same, some are clearly thinner than others.

12. Anj

Hilary, Alessandra, and Karolina are my favorites. Lily aldridge is definitely worst dressed. She looks like she just stepped out of the shower into the 1950s!

13. Prudence

Adrianna would have killed it had we not been able to see those bloomers. She is still my fave though because I am obsessed with that givenchy collection. Karlie is scaring me with that neckline. Alessandra is wearing a dreses jlo already wore, Joan looks like an old lady and Miranda is weirdly boring.

14. Kathy

Adriana’s look is very daring and IMO the risk pays off. The white panel on Joan’s dress reminds me of my shower curtain…:/ Karolina looks fierce, but her shorts are about 3 inches long. Karlie is easily my favorite of the night, though I’m not so sure about her hair. Is Alessandra’s outfit two pieces? It sort of seems like a top and maxi skirt but I can’t tell for sure from the picture here. Jessica Stam’s hair and accessories are simply unneccessary. I wanted to love Candice’s dress but it looks undone, like the embellishments were haphazardly sewn on and not even in an artistic way, especially the portion “sticking up” out of her belt. And I must say I expected more from both Linda and ODLR. Her dress is shapeless and makes her look like a brick.

15. pipsqueak

Models … they simply look better than the rest of us and they should. I like all the looks except Karlie’s hair. She really needs to go back to the old-fashioned long hair. She doesn’t wear her short hair well. Aldridge probably had the most bland gown of all – The Row, shocker. But she totally pulled it off. She made the whole look quite dreamy.

16. Dhppy

Kudos to Karolina on her shoe choice, they just get out of her way and let her perfect legs go on that much further. Kurkova, Ambrosio, and Rhoda are my faves of this group.

17. Beta

my favourite is hilary rhoda.

what the hell is lily alridge wearing on her feet??? someone’s been punked :|